5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

It’ll take a while for Gomes to take his place on the bench but can’t come soon enough for me.

AgentP

Even his passing is atrocious nowadays. He can't even pick a player during a quick break.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We must have given him a contract telling him he's a squad option. He brings character to the team and leadership in his own way. Also he's a PL, CL and WC winner, so that experience might help the kids.

No way he should be a starter, though. He's lost the pace and intensity for it.

Kevin_

Man if he frustrated me when he came on.. gave the balm away several times from a player who is generally tidy in possession. Give Gomes a go

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think the camera spent more time showing him apologize and look sorry than him actually playing football.

Hugs. You’re done with football

Saddy

This great little man is in danger of losing all his credibility with the club.

He should only be considered at home when a team is parking the bus outside their penalty area and will always be a great option with a free kick on the edge of the box but deary me what a sh1t show - killed our hopes of a winner as soon as he came on instead of Mason.

Probably re-signed to help the De Gea situation .....Italy beckons or back to 2nd rate Spanish club

mancan92

I love Mata but he is finished. He's not a good sub to come on. He also seems to have lost complete confidence in his own ability. He gets the ball now and often just lays it to the nearest player, simple through balls that he would a couple of years ago made easily he fluffs continuously. There was a time when Martial was through and all mata had to do was play it into his path but instead he played it straight to Boly.

Raw

I hope Ole realises how little Mata can contribute these days, he should be reserved for games against lower half teams/Europa League teams and even still just used as a substitute. Start bringing Gomes in a bit more, at least he's only going to get better.

Bestietom

Mata is finished and is taking up space that should be Gomes.
We might as well play with 10 men as bring him on. Would be better giving any of Gomes, or Chong the game time.

Jacob

Has he ever came on to change the course of a game? Can't remember once.

mancan92

Mata was poor but I'm not going to dismiss him based on a short cameo. Lingard was useless and those three subs should have come much earlier... at least let them have a chance to get warmed up and into the flow of the game. He's still a skilled technical player and a few missed passes and a poor free kick doesn't mean he's suddenly too old to play.
What about a year of that?

stevoc

I've always liked Mata, but I'm afraid that we are a couple of years too late in playing him in his preferred position. Two instances I remember were his overhit cross, and the throughball which went pretty much straight to a Wolves player where we would have been in on goal. Our team was crying out for a player like Gomes, who has all the skill that you need to break down a resolute, unflinching defence. Saying that though, we got into three or four very promising positions, and missed the pen, which would have made us comfortable winners.
Definitely and thats the saddest part of this, for baffling reasons 3 managers wasted his prime years by playing him on the right wing to the detriment of his career and United.

Alabaster Codify7

Still can't believe we re-signed Mata. He makes zero difference anymore, bar maybe 1-2 games a season. Ineffective player taking up playing time that could go to someone with a future at United. Such as you know, Gomes.

The substitution was a clear sign of things to come, for me.

Hellboy

Terrible, finished. We all know he was just signed because he's De Gea's buddy.

Gomes will be on the bench at least for the next game.

settembrini

He's lucky we aren't allowed to give him a match day rating. Brutal cameo that just leaves us all still wondering why exactly is he ahead of Gomes in the pecking order?

Swiss_Red89

He will be useful in the EL Games and maybe in the home games vs the smaller PL Teams. But i really hope we dont play him again at PL away grounds. It just not the right type of football for this current Mata Version.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's lucky we aren't allowed to give him a match day rating. Brutal cameo that just leaves us all still wondering why exactly is he ahead of Gomes in the pecking order?
I'm not going to worry about that right now, if we're 10 games into the season and Gomes is still nowhere to be seen then I think we can start to panic.

stevoc

Mourinho actually played him in the centre a few times early on, but Mata was quite poor so got moved back out to the right where he was better.
I actually remember it the other way round. He had a decent little run centrally early under Jose but was then shunted back onto the right where he was poor. As he has been for the vast majority of his games on the right wing for United.

Red00012

I wish he hadn't been bought in the first place, truly the poster boy of panic buy that doesn't fit the team's plan. I don't think he fits the game plan of any of our manager since he came. Thanks a lot Moyes
Anfield.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We must have given him a contract telling him he's a squad option. He brings character to the team and leadership in his own way. Also he's a PL, CL and WC winner, so that experience might help the kids.

No way he should be a starter, though. He's lost the pace and intensity for it.
He never win PL. not a PL winner.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I feel bad watching him, even he doesn't look like he thinks he should play for Man Utd. Should be a mid table player in Spain by now.

KennyBurner

some serious overreaction in here. The guy came on for a few minutes and is being blamed for no immediate impact? Give it a rest guys he isnt the same player but we will need his creativity and smart runs into the box if we want to score a lot of goals this year. Gomes hasn't registered one game as a 10 in the PL so why is everyone itching to get him out so quickly? Are there videos of him playing as an attacking midfielder i should know about? Its been 2 games so lets relax. We still have multiple competitions that gomes will be able to partake so no need to rush him in.

Mata might be done on a physical level but we could still use him against teams that we will dominate throughout the game. Id like to see him come in as a 10 against palace. Im sure they will sit back and try to hit us on the counter. They also aren't very good on the ball so a player like Mata who works hard will force them into errors if they try to play out from the back. Im thinking a team like this will work in his favor.

Martial
Rashford James/Lingard
Mata
Mctominay Pogba

Edit- I never know how to get the formation to stick out nicely:(

Foxbatt

Mata is too slow not to go for a return pass either unless it is a very short pass and inside the box.

haram

I think he will start vs Palace. We will hold the majority of possession and we could use his creativity.

Foxbatt

The problem about possession is also that Mata cannot keep possession. He loses is the moment he is tackled and he is so weak.

Man Utd 1:2 Crystal Palace

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pains me to say but Mata is not Premier League level any longer. He still has the talent but the speed of the game leaves him behind. Palace probably didn't notice him playing today. The game went around him. It would've been better to have Angel Gomes on the bench. Would he have been more anonymous than Mata? He might not have done any better but I don't think he'd have done any worse either, may as well give him experience as Mata's the past and Gomes is the future.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I thought it was a decent thing when we gave him a new deal.
I'll hold my hands up though, it seems last season should've been his last.
It's a long season and he has plenty of time to come good again, but I can't see it unfortunately.

the hea

He looks lost at this level. He was never the fastest player but it just looks like everything he does nowadays is just a step behind everyone else on the pitch.

Based Adnan

Completely finished as a player. This apparent creativity he has is a myth. Mostly just recycles the ball side to side. Hasn't been consistently creative since that 20/20 Chelsea season. Can barely move and yet we want him as an option in a team that wants to play fast attacking football?

He's a nice bloke though so definitely worth renewing and having him take gametime from one our most talented youngsters in Angel Gomes.

FerociousCorgis

for all the shit greenwood is getting at least i noticed he was on the pitch. Literally invisible mata was

Zoo

Well Mata came on in the 85th minute so am not sure what people are expecting.

Roboc7

Was gutted when he signed new contract because knew he would play a lot if he did. Best days are long gone and just more deadwood being retained.

Status
Not open for further replies.