View full 2020-21 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Somewhat puzzling considering his current contract included a 12 month extension option for the club. The only reason to offer a new deal would presumably be to offer a lower salary than the existing option included.
Pretty much this.

If he's willing to stick around on a fairly low wage, perhaps boosted with appearance bonuses, that might be fair enough. But all the reports on the net have him currently on 150-160k a week, which places him as the 8th highest on our roster. That's obviously ridiculous based on what he's provided over the last few seasons nevermind what he would be expected to provide over the next few. Of course, even a 'low' wage for us is about 75k which really isn't that low at all.

Devil may care

It's pointless at this juncture, I think he could still go to a smaller club in Spain and have an impact, but he's done in the PL.

manunited1919

He can be a very useful player against low blocks, it’s not easy to replace the combination of talent and experience he brings to the team. He has never been a speed merchant, but he can still open up defenses with a well placed pass.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We’re a very thin squad, so I’d understand the want to keep hold of a seasoned pro who’s happy to just be a positive influence around the side. It’s not like he realistically blocks the progression of say, Amad too much because he will only play about 5 games a season.

Also much easier for the club financially to retain Mata for a season than it is to actually sign a new player.

Man Utd 2:0 Granada New

rooneyberbatov

Glad to have him back. He can still be useful and his experience is invaluable.

Love that moment between him and Bruno when he came in.

Foxbatt

I think he has a role to play in Europe. Where the physicality is not like the PL and the game is much slower.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If Juan Mata had scored a jumping, glancing header, I may have danced around my living room.

Can't blame the defender though, anyone would be mesmerised by such a giant leaping so gloriously

Foxbatt

His brain works better than most players but his legs do not. That is his problem.

sillwuka

Great guy and i think he's been a great servant to the club.

He closed his restaurant on Deansgate late last year so maybe his Manchester adventure may be coming to and end. I hope he finds a suitable club.