5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Like Matic he was excellent for 65 minutes and then faded, great to see him get a goal on his likely last appearance for us.

SAFMUTD

I think today was the last we'll see of him playing here, nice lad and everything but has been stealing a living for years.

AshRK

Happy for him. Wonderful servant who has been massively misused by van gaal and Jose.

SAFMUTD

Why did he decline so early?

It seems like he's been a veteran squad player for a good 4 or 5 years at this point. A model professional, but I think, all things considered, quite a disappointing or at least underwhelming United career given his obvious ability.
Never fitted our scheme under any manager and somehow he managed to become even weaker and slower.

Roboc7

The last contract he got was one too many, should have been gone as he was already in decline. Wouldn’t make sense for anyone involved for him to return next season.

Quite an underwhelming career at Utd given player he was at his peak but always tried his best and nice to see him score and have decent game today.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Juan Mata the man is a gentleman, one of the kindest, loveliest people there is in the game.

He's had some good moments for us such Juanfield and I think he's been good as a squad option but was never utilised to his fullest extent. I think United fans will appreciate his time here in the future, he's the type of personality who should be associated with the club.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up if this is the end, I think there's places where he can still do a job, I don't think England is that place but who knows. Perhaps a return to Spain or even Italy would suit him.

rollingstoned1

He can still heck it at a slower technical league and maybe do better than some of our rejects have done in Italy in snagging a winners medal. Considering the pomp and fanfare surrounding his signing - helicopter arrival - its been a relatively underwhelming signing I think. The most memorable moment would definitely be juanfield.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, thought he started sloppy but went on to have a good game and a particularly good second half for the reasons you said

He was also constantly talking and pointing to the young lads, which I'm sure helped them through the game.
I have a feeling we might offer him a player + coach contract. From Ole's quotes, it seemed like he wants him to stay but game time would be limited. By keeping him on as a coach (maybe U18s? if not seniors), he can keep Juan and make him stop worrying about game time.

It's quite clear that he's a well liked and popular fellow in the team especially when you hear people like Rashford and Bruno talk about him + he and Matic are the only two players we have left who've won the biggest titles, so seems obvious why we want to retain him

jem

I think today was the last we'll see of him playing here, nice lad and everything but has been stealing a living for years.
Such a stupid expression to use when talking about someone like Mata.

I have a feeling we might offer him a player + coach contract. From Ole's quotes, it seemed like he wants him to stay but game time would be limited. By keeping him on as a coach (maybe U18s? if not seniors), he can keep Juan and make him stop worrying about game time.

It's quite clear that he's a well liked and popular fellow in the team especially when you hear people like Rashford and Bruno talk about him + he and Matic are the only two players we have left who've won the biggest titles, so seems obvious why we want to retain him
I think it’s too early for him to be a player/ coach. I’d love him to go back to Spain and play for a couple of years, and perhaps have an Indian summer. Would then love him to come back in some capacity, he’s someone who I’d love to keep associated with the club.

Foxbatt

He is a nice chap but I am glad its the end of his time at United. He cannot play at this level anymore. I also think its his own fault. If he had cut his attempt and dribbling and trying to beat players and stick to passing he may have been able to help the team a bit more.

jesperjaap

One of many number 10s we simply shouldnt have signed in the first place. Seems a great pro and a great guy and has remained loyal. For me fondly remembered as a person, very much a mixed bag as a player, for me like others say, he simply didnt suit us as a player. Talk of Ole discussing a new contract with him is utter madness though, would be a joke

Dan_F

We'll always have Juanfield.

Where would he go? America? Back to Valencia?
Definitely. Considering how often Forlan’s name is still sung, it’s disappointing people are bothered by how much he’s earning, especially considering some of the players that have come and gone since Fergie left.

I think he probably should have left when Jose came in. It was kind of bizarre how he got put over on the right, then every other manager kept on playing him there. I hope he goes back to La Liga and smashes it.

Banana Republic

It's all been said.
A gentleman and genuinely nice, great guy.
A loyal servant to the club during his time here and in by all accounts, in recent times a good influence to the younger players in training and off the pitch.

I think he came to us at the wrong time in Utd's recent troubled history, but he still gave us some very good performances and important goals, in his first few seasons.
Although a technically gifted and intelligent player, over the last 2 or 3 seasons it's been obvious he's passed over the brow of the hill with his career,
Now far too slow and physically weak for the top level, particularly the EPL.
Personally I think he should have gone last year, but then again, maybe we didn't have enough cover to let him go.

The best outcome will be Juan wanting to leave, rather than us not offering a contract extension (not that we should offer one).
I hope he goes on to play for a bit longer, maybe back home in Spain, before hanging up his boots.
With a massive player wage bill and the money being tighter than it's ever been in recent history, I think Mata's high wages would be better put towards the new signings we need.

A shame on those who've made some terrible comments about Mata on the Caf, not only today, but on previous occasions.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If that was Mata's last game for United it's nice he got the winning goal. He was much better today than he has been lately.

By now my opinion of Mata is clear. I think he should go in the summer. Still, I respect what he's done in his time here. Good player, bad era for the most. Wish him well.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Huge respect for JM. Great influence on the younger lads I’m sure. Lovely footballer. I remember some very funny muppetry as he took a helicopter ride north. Well played today - penalty well taken too.

SAFMUTD

Stealing a living?! What a load of guff.
Earns 160k per week hasn't been a starter for at least 2-3 seasons nor a regular back up for at least 2.

No matter how nice he is that's stealing a living, not his fault our board is as stupid to keep renewing his contract but definitely he is not worth even half that wages.

Djemba-Djemba

He's clearly a lovely bloke but it's also clear he's been here way longer than he should have been.

His last really effective season here was in 16/17 I'd say. The last 2 seasons in particular he's barely contributed.

Sounds like he's off this summer anyway. Good luck to him.

Devil81

I'd keep him, if it wasn't for his mothers illness then he'd have seen more minutes and his experience could be huge for the younger lads.

One more year for me.

Jaxa

You could see him potentially going down the same route as David Silva and joining Sociedad or a club similar,

Still has a lot of class on the field but needs a league that isn't so physical and fast paced,

I do hope he moves on in the summer and allows a younger player to take his place but it was a pleasure getting to see him play for us, we will never forget Juanfield

Hughes35

Great little player and seems a top guy. It is time for him to move on though.

Never really great for us but was always steady enough.

Should go to Italy as he would still be decent there.

SAFMUTD

Given the way he inspires others to share their money, stealing hardly seems the right word.
Haha what? Give him the nice lad trophy then. But it's obvious he is overpaid as feck.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Haha what? Give him the nice lad trophy then. But it's obvious he is overpaid as feck.
How much should a squad player at Man United be paid? 100K? Less?

And ultimately, why does it even matter? These figures are small drop in the ocean when it comes to United finances.

SAFMUTD

How much should a squad player at Man United be paid? 100K? Less?

And ultimately, why does it even matter? These figures are small drop in the ocean when it comes to United finances.
A squad player nothing above 80K.

Why does it even matter? Well you know those wages could be spent on another player. Having that mentality about its peanuts since ManUtd it's so big it's what leed us to have the biggest wage in Europe without even having a top 10 squad once.

For reference here are some notable players that earn less than Mata:

Kante 145K
Vardy - 140K
Madisson - 110K
Ndidi - 75K
Tielemans -35K
Alisson -150K
Mane -100K
Jota - 90K
Wijnaldum -90K
TAA - 75K
Bernardo Silva - 150K
Gundogan - 140K
Mahrez - 120K
Rubén Días - 115K
Shaw - 150K
Son - 140K

Look at that and tell me paying 160K to Mata isn't absolutely mental.

Last edited:

anant

Why does it even matter? Well you know those wages could be spent on another player. Having that mentality about its peanuts since ManUtd it's so big it's what leed us to have the biggest wage in Europe without even having a top 10 squad once.

Kante 145K
Vardy - 140K
Madisson - 110K
Ndidi - 75K
Tielemans -35K
Alisson -150K
Mane -100K
Jota - 90K
Wijnaldum -90K
TAA - 75K
Bernardo Silva - 150K
Gundogan - 140K
Mahrez - 120K
Rubén Días - 115K
Shaw - 150K
Son - 140K

Well, thankfully he isn't earning as much as most of those players you've just listed. He's on 135k/week.

Also, pretty sure those numbers are wrong for Tielemans, Mane and TAA at the very least (they have a significant performance bonus which the pool players usually hit)

https://talksport.com/football/562751/manchester-united-juan-mata-pay-cut/

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Kante 145K
Vardy - 140K
Madisson - 110K
Ndidi - 75K
Tielemans -35K
Alisson -150K
Mane -100K
Jota - 90K
Wijnaldum -90K
TAA - 75K
Bernardo Silva - 150K
Gundogan - 140K
Mahrez - 120K
Rubén Días - 115K
Shaw - 150K
Son - 140K

Yeah in no way is THAT the reason. That's poor recruitment.

Also we arguably have a top 10 squad now.

jem

Honestly I don’t understand this weird obsession with salaries - taking a spot on the squad? Fair enough. Loss of transfer value? Sure. But salary? Grow up.

Red Comet

Overpaid or not, that doesn't mean he's stealing a living. Stealing a living are words you only apply to those who are not professional, who slack any moment they get and shrink when they get called upon. Mata is anything but.

SAFMUTD

Yeah in no way is THAT the reason. That's poor recruitment.

Also we arguably have a top 10 squad now.
We couldnt past through group stage in UCL so that's debatable to say the least. Even though I agree Ole has built a better squad by getting rid of overpaid players, Mata hopefully would be another one added to that list.

SAFMUTD

SAFMUTD

Honestly I don’t understand this weird obsession with salaries - taking a spot on the squad? Fair enough. Loss of transfer value? Sure. But salary? Grow up.
It's about standards, saying wages don't matter is the same as saying transfer cost don't matter.

SAFMUTD

Overpaid or not, that doesn't mean he's stealing a living. Stealing a living are words you only apply to those who are not professional, who slack any moment they get and shrink when they get called upon. Mata is anything but.
Well I change it then, he's not stealing it he's just massively overpaid

anant

Wages change a little depending on the source but my point stands, at 160 or 135k we are overpaying Mata.
I agree that he's being overpaid relative to his talent. However, you look at things outside the pitch as well when you negotiate contracts. He's among the handful fo senior players in the side, is among 2-3 players who've tasted significant success and it's quite obvious he's popular in the dressing room and the players like him. And that's the long and short of why he is paid what he is paid

Status
Not open for further replies.