5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

It's about standards, saying wages don't matter is the same as saying transfer cost don't matter.
It’s about as ridiculous as ignoring the professionalism and behind the scenes influence of a model pro like Mata.

jem

How much should a squad player at Man United be paid? 100K? Less?

And ultimately, why does it even matter? These figures are small drop in the ocean when it comes to United finances.
Exactly! Unless someone can say paying Mata that salary is impacting our recruitment efforts, then I couldn’t give a flying one what he earns, especially given the kind of professional he is.

spiriticon

He can still do a great job in Italy or the US, but the Premier League is beyond his physical capabilities now and has been for about 3 to 4 years.

Unless he is happy with playing a sub role. I don't mind him staying as squad depth, but he has to take a massive pay cut.

SAFMUTD

It’s about as ridiculous as ignoring the professionalism and behind the scenes influence of a model pro like Mata.
All players should be professional at that level, and even when mentioned Mata while is not mentioned to be unprofessional he's not the first name to come to mind. The mentioned ones are always McTominay, Bruno and now recently Cavani.

About the influence I see Mata as a nice lad, but he's not a big influence as if we were talking about big names in the dress room. He wasn't even captain material, I mean being a nice lad doesn't count as being a key influence in the dressing room.

Anyway I don't think there's anything anybody can say to make me believe that Mata deserves that salary because some stuff he does behind scenes. Players earn their wages in the pitch.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This could be one of Oles kooks. Contracts for his favourites till the end of time. New deals for Mata and Lingard incoming!

First time posting in this thread this season. In reality I’m assuming we let him go this summer with our warmest thanks. We should be giving the minutes to young lads and prospects and try to build their value and confidence instead of retaining players on the way down. we need to free up valuable squad space if we want to try something new and get that boost in quality we clearly still need to catch up. Matic Jones Mata Lingard, that must be about 500k a week cleared off there for players who offer us very little to nothing on the pitch. That could pay for 2 first team players which should push the quality of the squad forward far more than keeping backup players just in case.

El Jefe

Where has this idea about Mata becoming a coach or even ambassador come from? That sort of fast track is reserved for legends or players that embody the club and Mata isn't close to being either.

Mata represents the Manchester United that I will forget in a hurry. Overstayed, overpaid and underachieved compared to expectation. I will give him credit for being a nice guy, Juanfield and a few other good moments but he should leave the club without much fanfare IMO.

DDG is the only player who saw Moyes through to Ole that deserves any sort of privileges.

VivaRonaldo85

He’s been very professional in his limited appearances this season. He would still be a top class player in something like 5 a side but the legs are gone now. For me, the time has come to move him on and create space in the first team squad for youth to flourish. I’d happily have him back in the future in a coaching type role as he seems a top class individual and a great role model.

SNes

Where has this idea about Mata becoming a coach or even ambassador come from? That sort of fast track is reserved for legends or players that embody the club and Mata isn't close to being either.

Mata represents the Manchester United that I will forget in a hurry. Overstayed, overpaid and underachieved compared to expectation. I will give him credit for being a nice guy, Juanfield and a few other good moments but he should leave the club without much fanfare IMO.

DDG is the only player who saw Moyes through to Ole that deserves any sort of privileges.
This sums up Mata perfectly ^^^

I've always thought Mata was A panic buy.

KetilOwren88

We couldnt past through group stage in UCL so that's debatable to say the least. Even though I agree Ole has built a better squad by getting rid of overpaid players, Mata hopefully would be another one added to that list.
Well, in fact under Mourinho we went through the group stage thanks to a 2-1 win against Juve away. A game where Mata scored a vital free kick.

KetilOwren88

Quinton Fortune says hello

SAFMUTD

Well, in fact under Mourinho we went through the group stage thanks to a 2-1 win against Juve away. A game where Mata scored a vital free kick.
Oh damn well then I guess we should renew him them, he has scored 1 goal in about two years in the league but hey he scored once against Juve totally worth it.

jem

All players should be professional at that level, and even when mentioned Mata while is not mentioned to be unprofessional he's not the first name to come to mind. The mentioned ones are always McTominay, Bruno and now recently Cavani.

About the influence I see Mata as a nice lad, but he's not a big influence as if we were talking about big names in the dress room. He wasn't even captain material, I mean being a nice lad doesn't count as being a key influence in the dressing room.

Anyway I don't think there's anything anybody can say to make me believe that Mata deserves that salary because some stuff he does behind scenes. Players earn their wages in the pitch.
A lot of assumptions there. I think I'll take the word of Rio Ferdinand instead: Rio Ferdinand gives contract verdict on Juan Mata ahead of potential Manchester United exit - Manchester Evening News

KetilOwren88

Oh damn well then I guess we should renew him them, he has scored 1 goal in about two years in the league but hey he scored once against Juve totally worth it.
That’s not what I said. No need to be aggressive. You gave an example of high wages without reaching the CL knock out stages to make a point against Mata, which is a bit ironic since he was crucial last time we went trough. He is done by now, but I don’t know why you are so harsh to him. His wages are too high, like everyone else in this club.

SAFMUTD

That’s not what I said. No need to be aggressive. You gave an example of high wages without reaching the CL knock out stages to make a point against Mata, which is a bit ironic since he was crucial last time we went trough. He is done by now, but I don’t know why you are so harsh to him. His wages are too high, like everyone else in this club.
I'm so harsh with him because everyone seems to be ok with him being given a free pass because he's a nice guy. I don't like that.

Anyway I think he'll be finally gone.

jem

Of course theyre assumptions, no one knows what goes inside that dressing room besides the players and Ole. Not even Rio.
True, but I’m more inclined to believe Rio than some rando on the internet.

Sylar

He’s old and past it, but he is & always has been a tremendous penalty taker. No idea why he wasn’t first choice in the period when Pogba was missing half of the time.
Was he playing at that time? Don't remember him being on the pitch for the majority of the time then

Matriac

Club confirmed today they are still negotiating a possible new deal with Mata (and Grant).

Let the outrage ensue.

Idxomer

When you realize that both Mata and Matic played more games for United than Chelsea.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Meh. He's really just here for squad logistics at this point. If they think he's worth his place in the squad fine, if they don't then that's fine too.

UnitedFan93

Worlds highest paid charity worker. He can join Phil Jones in the stands.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Listen if Mata is being offered a new contract it's not because of what he offers on the pitch is it, as if the club rated his contributions on the pitch that much he'd of played a hell of a lot more than he has done over the past 3 years. He's being kept around for his contributions off the pitch, those that no one here can question as we don't know how big or small they are as we've not in the club

Kag

Fine if he stays for another year. Lingard will be sold and Pereira isn’t coming back. I can see James being sold, too. We need decent cover and he’s exactly that.

El Jefe

You can't make this up, he shouldn't have gotten the last extension but here we are years later negotiating another contract.

But if Phil Jones got one, nothing should be that much of a surprise anymore.

Listen if Mata is being offered a new contract it's not because of what he offers on the pitch is it, as if the club rated his contributions on the pitch that much he'd of played a hell of a lot more than he has done over the past 3 years. He's being kept around for his contributions off the pitch, those that no one here can question as we don't know how big or small they are as we've not in the club
disagree entirely. We know he’s a great guy off the pitch, but he’s a player and that’s why we have offered him a contract. That may be dubious - I was for the last contract, as he provides cover and we need squad players. I think this is a year too much - but the club believe he is valuable for what he does in the pitch - we as fans can evaluate that. He’s not being kept as some some of make cheerleaders the dressing room.

Deery

Dreary
Over £7m a year Juan Mata is on, I’m sorry but I don’t see how that can be justified for him being absolutely shot.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
disagree entirely. We know he’s a great guy off the pitch, but he’s a player and that’s why we have offered him a contract. That may be dubious - I was for the last contract, as he provides cover and we need squad players. I think this is a year too much - but the club believe he is valuable for what he does in the pitch - we as fans can evaluate that. He’s not being kept as some some of make cheerleaders the dressing room.
as I said you haven't a clue why he's being kept around you can only assume you know why and assumptions are often wrong

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Over £7m a year Juan Mata is on, I’m sorry but I don’t see how that can be justified for him being absolutely shot.
Agree with this. I like Mata but paying that money for someone who will play in the Carabao Cup's first few rounds and is well-liked in the locker room seems ridiculous.

as I said you haven't a clue why he's being kept around you can only assume you know why and assumptions are often wrong
he’s been there to cover a position we have little experience in and be a squad player. This season was certainly affected by family circumstances.

these will be the same reasons if he stays next season - you can argue whether this is valid, or whether he’s needed. As I said, I think now is the time for him to go.

the point in he’s not being offered playing contracts because of some behind the scenes activities.

ReallyUSA

He has to go as a player. If he wants to start his coaching career then so be it, but put him on a coach's wage. We have to stop doing this shit. I love Mata as a person and loved him as a player. It's over.

tomaldinho1

He has to go as a player. If he wants to start his coaching career then so be it, but put him on a coach's wage. We have to stop doing this shit. I love Mata as a person and loved him as a player. It's over.
Yes agreed - his role in the squad isn't even as regular cover anymore. There is surely a youth player who can be around the team and then play what...5 starts this year in all comps?

I also have never really forgiven him for when he shopped around all summer a few years back and his dad was talking a load of shit before basically realising he was hugely overpaid here and signing.

red4ever 79

What does it Mata if he gets a new contract. The club is amateur from top to bottom. Players signing new contracts and not contributing anything

Status
Not open for further replies.