5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OleBoiii

I don't have a strong opinion on the matter. I will just say that our squad is very young. If I'm not mistaken, we only have 3 players above 30?

While I love the new focus on youth, I think it's wise to keep a few older players around. Mata strikes me as a great personality behind the scenes, so it's not that surprising that he might be offered a new contract. But yeah, he's not really playing so we're essentially paying for a motivational speaker.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If Mata gets renewed then this club really is insane. £160k a week for what? Aguero, Silva etc where of more use when City let them go
thats what you’re up against. We don’t seem to accept the challenge though. We payed 40 million for mata and Matic and they are here for as long as they want by the looks of things. We need fresh ideas pushing the starters who don’t perform well instead of more backups who never play and hold no real value.

glazernomics 101

Matriac

The same people that say they're ok with this extension will be the ones saying "look at our bench, who could Ole bring on that could make a difference" when Ole refuses to make subs again next season.
Keeping Mata doesn't mean our bench transforms. Letting him go doesn't mean a better option comes in instead.

That said, I would love him and his experience around the team.

Bondi77

I have always liked Mata but it is time to go. Any game time that he was pencilled in to have should be allocated to Hannibal or Amad.

KungPaoChicken

I don't have a strong opinion on the matter. I will just say that our squad is very young. If I'm not mistaken, we only have 3 players above 30?

While I love the new focus on youth, I think it's wise to keep a few older players around. Mata strikes me as a great personality behind the scenes, so it's not that surprising that he might be offered a new contract. But yeah, he's not really playing so we're essentially paying for a motivational speaker.
I think this is a very fair asessment and reflects my view on the matter.

I think the coaches really values matas contributions off the pitch. If Mata is happy with a very limited amount of playing time i do think the club should spend the money to keep him around. His salaries are not going to be insane most likely.

Ixion

I love Mata but this makes no sense. If Ole isn't willing to put him on against a Spanish side parking the bus, when we're creating zero chances and the game is moving at 1mph...then what is the point in sticking around? I didn't have him down as a mercenary.

Andersons Dietician

Two, three years ago I was pretty adamant he should probably be moved on to make room for someone else but given what his role now is, I’m not all that fussed if he is now on a rolling contract till he decides it’s time.

From all accounts he’s a proper gentleman, with loads of experience. For all we know his value to Ole and the team might go way beyond just on the pitch. If he is happy with his role of bit part player, cup games and occasional sub then brilliant.

He is still capable of moments of absolute class and giving us something different. Heck just look at the game against Wolves. Arguably some of the best stuff the midfield has produced all season.

Last edited:

FatTails

Good to see.

Not only do I want him to stay, I want him to play more in certain games, like against teams defending deep. That’s when our obsession with pacy players becomes pointless, and creativity in small spaces, movement, and ball retention are more important.

FatTails

Two, three years ago I was pretty adamant he should probably be moved on to make room for someone else but given what his role now is, I’m not all that fussed if he is now on a rolling contract till he decides it’s time.

From all accounts he’s a proper gentleman, with loads of experience. For all we know his value to Ole and the team might go way beyond just on the pitch. If he is happy with his role of bit part player, cup games and occasional sub then brilliant.

He is still capable of moments of absolute glass and giving us something different. Heck just look at the game against Wolves. Arguably some of the best stuff the midfield has produced all season.
Unfair. He’s barely ever injured:p

El Jefe

Good to see.

Not only do I want him to stay, I want him to play more in certain games, like against teams defending deep. That’s when our obsession with pacy players becomes pointless, and creativity in small spaces, movement, and ball retention are more important.
Or we could just use VDB and Amad. What's the point in keeping a player who's clearly past it and proven he can't cut it in the league anymore.

FatTails

Or we could just use VDB and Amad. What's the point in keeping a player who's clearly past it and proven he can't cut it in the league anymore.
Maybe. I haven’t seen enough of either in a United shirt to know what they can and can’t do.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
We fecking love wasting money on wages. Another year of 140k per week to start half a dozen games and most of those will come in the league cup.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It was reported when he signed his last contract that they were eyeing him up for a move into a staff role at the club as well. If they want to keep him at the club long term anyway then the inclination to keep him on as a playing option in the meantime makes more sense.

Gandalf

We fecking love wasting money on wages. Another year of 140k per week to start half a dozen games and most of those will come in the league cup.
I don't think 140k is on the table. The option for 140k was in his last contract and if we wanted to pay it we would trigger the clause. The fact we are discussing a new 1 year contract would seem to indicate that we see value in keeping him around but only on a reduced wage hence the need to negotiate.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He'll stay till the very end of playing career. Even such cold bastard like Mourinho had a soft spot for him. Same with LvG.

jem

I love Mata and would love to see him finish his career at United. That being said, I can't see anything more than a bit-part role for him (which has basically been the case for the past two years.) I do find it amusing how upset some on here get about his wages - who gives a feck what he earns? I seriously doubt it will create an Alexis Sanchez-style resentment amongst the rest of the squad. Just look how much Bruno loves Mata - I think he and the rest would be genuinely gutted to see him go.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It was reported when he signed his last contract that they were eyeing him up for a move into a staff role at the club as well. If they want to keep him at the club long term anyway then the inclination to keep him on as a playing option in the meantime makes more sense.
£140k a week for a staff member who the lads like having around the place though? Does he do card tricks, does he do a sing song, does he do quizzes in the evening?

Born2Lose

City letting Aguero and possibly Fernandinho go for nothing and we're offering a £100k+ to a player who was finished two years ago. No wonder there's such a gulf.

If he's really on £140k and being offered the same then it shows how incompetent Matt Judge is, because even at half that sum no one else is signing him.

What's really galling is the way we got rid of a top class footballer like Rio who would have been useful for us in spite of not being able to play as many games.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He seems like a very nice bloke.

He also seems to be on a lot of money (for someone who's clearly a fair way down the pecking order).

If we want him to stick around in a coaching capacity long-term (or for "team" reasons, experience, influence, etc.), we should a) let him go somewhere to finish his playing career (he's not that old) and then give him a call when he's done, b) offer him a less than extravagant contract extension (performance based, whatever) if he's keen on that or c) offer him a role here and now as a non-player in whatever capacity he might be suited for (unlikely - again, he ain't that old and could do well elsewhere in the right setup).

If we sign him up for another year * with what appears to be the current terms (he's on pretty big money), then...I wouldn't be surprised, but it would seem somewhere between unnecessary and insane.

* We'll probably offer him five based on recent history, but whatever (we can hope).

Hackman2210

Time to cut him free. Give his minutes to DVB and garner. Cmon insane wages for basically doing nothing.

-Supreme-

Listen if Mata is being offered a new contract it's not because of what he offers on the pitch is it, as if the club rated his contributions on the pitch that much he'd of played a hell of a lot more than he has done over the past 3 years. He's being kept around for his contributions off the pitch, those that no one here can question as we don't know how big or small they are as we've not in the club
Your logic is stupid to say the least

I guess no one can question why we kept Phil Jones either

Morpheus 7

It's ridiculous him getting another year with them wages, he's been finished for two years. Cheap Glazers not wanting to replace him, scandalous he's been offered a new deal. Shows why we aren't winning a league anytime soon, no ambition.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's ridiculous him getting another year with them wages, he's been finished for two years. Cheap Glazers not wanting to replace him, scandalous he's been offered a new deal. Shows why we aren't winning a league anytime soon, no ambition.
It's obviously reduced wages, if it was the same wages we'd just trigger the extension.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Listen if Mata is being offered a new contract it's not because of what he offers on the pitch is it, as if the club rated his contributions on the pitch that much he'd of played a hell of a lot more than he has done over the past 3 years. He's being kept around for his contributions off the pitch, those that no one here can question as we don't know how big or small they are as we've not in the club
Your logic is stupid to say the least

I guess no one can question why we kept Phil Jones either
^ Looks like the "stupid logic" may well be accurate. I don't see the issue if it's reduced wages and part of a wider goal of having him in a role behind the scenes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Even reduced wages l, what's the point seriously. He's never going to have an impact from the bench.
Well if the point is that we're grooming him for a position at the club post retirement then it makes sense to keep him at the club.

Also he's literally had impacts from the bench (and from the starting XI) in his limited game time this season.

macheda14

Based on reports it's being used as a way to groom him into becoming part of our board and director set up. He is by all accounts an incredible presence in the changing room and around the club as a whole and the club obviously want him to become part of the fabric of the club, however he has come out and said he doesn't quite want to be done with his career, so this is obviously a way to transition him from player to staff.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's amazing how the tweet clearly reads "offering Mata a 1 year deal at reduced current wage" yet the very first replies go straight into talking about how expensive his current wage is and how the deal is not worth it :lol:

We should just offer him a role as a staff member, IMO. We should free up his squad position/wages to one of the younger players. I suppose another year with his experience in/around the squad and youngsters are fairly valuable. Especially for a fairly young'ish squad.

RuudTom83

It's amazing how the tweet clearly reads "offering Mata a 1 year deal at reduced current wage" yet the very first replies go straight into talking about how expensive his current wage is and how the deal is not worth it :lol:
Hehe i know, it makes us laugh...but people see what they want to see...just the word Mata makes people think about deadwood blah blah he should be replaced with player xyz

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Of course I like the man and think he has been a great footballer. However, I do not understand this "give him a job as he is a good lad" philosophy. It's not as if there is any need of helping him out financially, he can spend the next 50 years sitting the whole day in a villa at the beach with his family. Also he is clever enough to catch a job as pundit so I can see a bright future for him.
Beside that he is still good enough to play in a less challenging team/league for a few more years.
If he wants to become manager, director etc. he should try to gain the needed experience and education and not start off as newbie in one of the biggest clubs of the world.

Dan_F

I don’t mind it, but I feel like Mata deserves to play somewhere. If we convince him that the last few years of his career are worth sitting on the bench for, then great for us long term.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Hehe i know, it makes us laugh...but people see what they want to see...just the word Mata makes people think about deadwood blah blah he should be replaced with player xyz
It's definitely amusing, yes - reading a very simple worded tweet and then moaning against something the tweet clearly didn't say! I'd like Mata to be moved on myself, but at a reduced wage and if there's a greater plan/vision for him to transition into staff at some point, i don't mind having his experience around the squad for another year. I don't think he'll be standing in the way of some exciting youngsters either way.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Of course I like the man and think he has been a great footballer. However, I do not understand this "give him a job as he is a good lad" philosophy. It's not as if there is any need of helping him out financially, he can spend the next 50 years sitting the whole day in a villa at the beach with his family. Also he is clever enough to catch a job as pundit so I can see a bright future for him.
Beside that he is still good enough to play in a less challenging team/league for a few more years.
If he wants to become manager, director etc. he should try to gain the needed experience and education and not start off as newbie in one of the biggest clubs of the world.
What’s this assumption based on?

He has degrees in sports science and marketing, he’s run a business and has well over 10 years of experience working in some of the biggest clubs in the world. Maybe people that actually know him have reasons to believe that he’s qualified for a job like that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If it's reduced wages and with an eye to grooming him for a staff role then it makes perfect sense.

Even if we accept that he'll have a limited role in the playing squad (though likely less limited than it was this season), there's no benefit to losing him for the squad for the sake of it. It's not like we're over-stocked with bodies or will be hindered in our planned transfers by having to pay his now-reduced wages. There might be minimal upside to him staying as a player, but there's also less again downside.

And if in keeping him we get to develop someone we've identified as a talent into a long-term role at the club then that's great. And frankly an encouraging sign of long-term thinking at the club. The lack of figures with football knowledge in non-coaching staff roles has been a feature for so long at this club, I'd be pleased to see we're now identifying people for potential sports-director type roles from within our own ranks and providing internal pathways for them.

Really the question should be whether Mata wants to play first team football somewhere for the remaining part of his playing career. If we can get him to continue in his squad role here on lower wages then that suits us just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.