5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

hungrywing

Surprised he doesn't get more minutes in the PL against low-block sides, Has the craft we need. He's still one of my favourite United players of recent times.
He should. He and Kagawa used to do pretty well against the bus parkers.

Also, after his goal when Pogba gave him a hug it looked like Mata was trying to push him away.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Mata feels so incredibly productive in matches like last night, I was one of the ones who felt he was done at top level but he keeps showing he has something left in the tank, maybe he deserves some minutes in our next PL match.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

United's YouTube have released a video of all his goals for us.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Say it quietly, but he looks the sharpest/best he's been in years. Could be a very useful player this season.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Twitter can be vile. One 'supporter' last week claimed he loves Mata to bits but it was time for him to go, and he tagged Mata. This was right after the Luton game when he'd just been named MoM.

RUCK4444

Twitter can be vile. One 'supporter' last week claimed he loves Mata to bits but it was time for him to go, and he tagged Mata. This was right after the Luton game when he'd just been named MoM.
This in a nutshell is why I have no form of social media.

It gives absolute idiots a voice.

Haddock

It's a playground for the mentally ill.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can’t quite see it on the video, but did he take that ball down cleanly on the second goal before scoring?

Truly outrageous goal!
Hard to be certain, but it looks like it... Plus it's Mata so if you're giving him the benefit of the doubt on anything it's his touch.

I thought that finish got a deflection, but no... He's just chipped the keeper... Who was in his 6 yard box!

Jibbs

This guy could have reached the heights if David Silva, Kavin de Bruyne. As a united fan it pains to accept that he moved to United at the wrong time in our history.
Ideally United should have sold Rooney when we signed him and given Mata the number 10 role.

Hard to be certain, but it looks like it... Plus it's Mata so if you're giving him the benefit of the doubt on anything it's his touch.

I thought that finish got a deflection, but no... He's just chipped the keeper... Who was in his 6 yard box!
It’s one of those goals that compels you to watch it multiple times. Just brilliant.

I’d forgotten he actually won the World Cup a decade ago.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
This guy could have reached the heights if David Silva, Kavin de Bruyne. As a united fan it pains to accept that he moved to United at the wrong time in our history.
Ideally United should have sold Rooney when we signed him and given Mata the number 10 role.
His best performances at United have come on the right wing, making runs behind the fullback. I think he lost what little pace he had at Chelsea and had to make up for it with intelligence and finishing.

tjb

He's useful to have. Hopefully we sign a right winger so that we use him less. But in these type of cup games and the type of calm and honour he brings to the club, he's worth keeping around as a squad player.

United58

Wish we'd done it in 2013 with Kagawa, he looked incredible :(

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I genuinely think that had he not lost all his pace this early in his career (I dont think he was slow at Chelsea), he would have been the best player in the league. His off the ball movement, his technique, short passing, shooting, positioning, decision making, etc. are absolutely top class. With slightly better physical attributes, imaging the added dimension his game would have gotten

UpWithRivers

Mata now has 13 goal contributions (5G+8A) in his last 15 starts for Utd. Pretty valuable player to have in the squad.
We've ruined his career with us by surrounding him with dumb players.
Came here to say these two points. Class player that was shunted out to the right wing and played in a system that never really suited him. If he went to a team in Spain or Juve or somewhere that built around him he would have been a legend. He gave up his career staying here.

Livvie

Scout
Came here to say these two points. Class player that was shunted out to the right wing and played in a system that never really suited him. If he went to a team in Spain or Juve or somewhere that built around him he would have been a legend. He gave up his career staying here.
And never whinges. Just gets on with it and smiles. And blogs. Hugs, Juan

Oldyella

Football twitter is awful, almost as bad as political twitter.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Indeed. Held him off in a physical tussle as well and almost pulled his shorts off.
I don’t know how you think of that as ‘’beating player for pace’’.

Not that one. It was much closer to the Brighton penalty area, he was ‘’in race one on one’’ and beat him ‘’for pace’’.

Bwuk

I really wish we had a way to get Juan into the starting 11 more regularly.

He’s the smartest player in the side.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I love him. I seriously hope he gets more minutes in the league. Last 2 matches have shown he absolutely has a lot left to give against deep sitting teams.

And he is just wonderful :drool:

Reactions: Livvie

Livvie

Scout
I don’t know how you think of that as ‘’beating player for pace’’.

Not that one. It was much closer to the Brighton penalty area, he was ‘’in race one on one’’ and beat him ‘’for pace’’.
There was a game, pre lockdown, where he belted up the right and beat a player - it created something of a stir on social media. I don't remember which game it was but I dont think he deserves the flak he's been given for being slow - not the quickest, but there are others for that - he has the sharpest brain. He doesn't deserve some of the less than polite comments he gets from so called supporters. There are players who haven't given half of what he gives in the way of attitude and effort, regardless of their 'superior' talent. He's obviously nearing the end of his top flight career, but still useful, and deserves some respect. As for only being able to 'turn it on against lesser teams' where were all the usual suspects against those lesser teams we dropped points to last season? Juan has been seriously misused since he came to us, often playing out of position. Doesn't complain, just gets on with it. I'm not suggesting he should always start - just that so called supporters should shut the feck up.

Himannv

What you said has nothing to do with the post that you replied.
I agreed with you when you said he beat Dan Burn for pace. I additionally said that he also held off Dan Burn in physical tussle where I assumed it was obvious it was a different incident.

However, the exchange that followed makes it clear I've made a mistake replying to you at all. Lesson learned.

Maureen-yo

There was a game, pre lockdown, where he belted up the right and beat a player - it created something of a stir on social media. I don't remember which game it was but I dont think he deserves the flak he's been given for being slow - not the quickest, but there are others for that - he has the sharpest brain. He doesn't deserve some of the less than polite comments he gets from so called supporters. There are players who haven't given half of what he gives in the way of attitude and effort, regardless of their 'superior' talent. He's obviously nearing the end of his top flight career, but still useful, and deserves some respect. As for only being able to 'turn it on against lesser teams' where were all the usual suspects against those lesser teams we dropped points to last season? Juan has been seriously misused since he came to us, often playing out of position. Doesn't complain, just gets on with it. I'm not suggesting he should always start - just that so called supporters should shut the feck up.
Agree with this 100% and also to those saying he only does it against lesser teams forget the goals he's scored against Liverpool etc. Also given that he isn't given a chance against the bigger clubs anymore despite showing up for the lesser games isn't his fault.

Livvie

Scout
Agree with this 100% and also to those saying he only does it against lesser teams forget the goals he's scored against Liverpool etc. Also given that he isn't given a chance against the bigger clubs anymore despite showing up for the lesser games isn't his fault.
Absolutely. He rarely gets the chance to build up any momentum - or confidence. MoM against Luton, not even on the bench for Brighton. What does that tell him? Before lockdown, he and Bruno were sublime together.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agreed with you when you said he beat Dan Burn for pace. I additionally said that he also held off Dan Burn in physical tussle where I assumed it was obvious it was a different incident.

However, the exchange that followed makes it clear I've made a mistake replying to you at all. Lesson learned.
I guess talking two different things is just making it confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.