Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Somewhat puzzling considering his current contract included a 12 month extension option for the club. The only reason to offer a new deal would presumably be to offer a lower salary than the existing option included.
Pretty much this.

If he's willing to stick around on a fairly low wage, perhaps boosted with appearance bonuses, that might be fair enough. But all the reports on the net have him currently on 150-160k a week, which places him as the 8th highest on our roster. That's obviously ridiculous based on what he's provided over the last few seasons nevermind what he would be expected to provide over the next few. Of course, even a 'low' wage for us is about 75k which really isn't that low at all.

Devil may care

It's pointless at this juncture, I think he could still go to a smaller club in Spain and have an impact, but he's done in the PL.

manunited1919

He can be a very useful player against low blocks, it’s not easy to replace the combination of talent and experience he brings to the team. He has never been a speed merchant, but he can still open up defenses with a well placed pass.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We’re a very thin squad, so I’d understand the want to keep hold of a seasoned pro who’s happy to just be a positive influence around the side. It’s not like he realistically blocks the progression of say, Amad too much because he will only play about 5 games a season.

Also much easier for the club financially to retain Mata for a season than it is to actually sign a new player.

Foxbatt

I think he has a role to play in Europe. Where the physicality is not like the PL and the game is much slower.

Paul_Scholes18

I think he has a role to play in Europe. Where the physicality is not like the PL and the game is much slower.
Roma is fairly physical though. Don't think he is going to play much unless we gets injuries to Bruno or Pogba.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If Juan Mata had scored a jumping, glancing header, I may have danced around my living room.

Can't blame the defender though, anyone would be mesmerised by such a giant leaping so gloriously

Foxbatt

His brain works better than most players but his legs do not. That is his problem.

sillwuka

Great guy and i think he's been a great servant to the club.

He closed his restaurant on Deansgate late last year so maybe his Manchester adventure may be coming to and end. I hope he finds a suitable club.

KungPaoChicken

Great guy and i think he's been a great servant to the club.

He closed his restaurant on Deansgate late last year so maybe his Manchester adventure may be coming to and end. I hope he finds a suitable club.
From what i can source it was his fathers investment. https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/juan-matas-dad-closing-manchester-18941963

So would not read to much into that. I think you can read more into his relationship with the swedish girlfriend Evelina Kamph. They have been together for about 8ish years now and she works as a osteopath at a manchester clinic and have done so for years. Sure she could probably find a job anywhere in the world, but she have been in England since college and probably have all her friends there. Pretty confident that mata will take one more year as a player and then continue at United as some sort of coach.

BorisManUtd

No sign of club using option of extending his contract for another year yet. I personally would be ok with him staying for another year if he'd take pay cut. Those Lazio rumours could be true though, they almost signed David Silva last year and Mata is very similar to him (age, position he plays etc).

Devil81

Mata could have been used far more this season, he links really well with Fernandes.

So based on the amount of football he's actually played I'd say he won't want another contract anyway.

Matriac

Mata could have been used far more this season, he links really well with Fernandes.

So based on the amount of football he's actually played I'd say he won't want another contract anyway.
He was away for quite some time due to family stuff.

SAFMUTD

No sign of club using option of extending his contract for another year yet. I personally would be ok with him staying for another year if he'd take pay cut. Those Lazio rumours could be true though, they almost signed David Silva last year and Mata is very similar to him (age, position he plays etc).
Extending his contract would be pointless, he has played 300 minutes in the whole season. With 90 of those coming from a FA Cup match. He has played a gran total of 2 minutes in the league this year.

His position is monopolized by Bruno and he's too weak, small and slow to play anywhere else. According to reports he's on a 160K per week wages which makes him our 8th best paid player. To put some perspective into that that's around Bruno's wages and more than Shaw's, Fred, Lindelof, AWB, Henderson, McTominay and Greenwood who are regular starters.

Even if he agreed to a substantial wage reduction he's not even worth 40k at this point.

I much rather move on and give those minutes to youngsters.

Man Utd 1:2 Leicester

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Is it just me or is Mata just worse than I remember him being? I know he hasn't played a lot and that probably accounts for it but he's always had a silky touch. Tonight he was finding it hard to trap relatively easy balls and holding onto it for far too long. Looks finished at this level. I've said it before and he's shown me up. Would love him to do that again but I reckon he's gone in a few weeks.

Dinghy

He's been finished for at least three years. Stealing a living.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Probably past it at this level anyway and then thrown in to a second string side having barely played at all recently.

I'm sure he's still capable of better than today's performance but still, if he doesn't leave this summer it will only be because we think we need the body.

Djemba-Djemba

Lovely man clearly.

But it's also clear he's absolutely knackered, that should probably be his last ever game for Utd.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He started the season well - POTM in Sep, MOTM vs Newcastle, but his performances have steadily gone down ever since then.

Love him but just dont see how we'd be extending his contract

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
At this point am worried he doesn't get hurt or just run over by someone. Wish him an enjoyable last year or two in Spain.

Born2Lose

Oh dear, that inevitable thud back to earth everytime he plays when people realise that being a "nice guy" doesn't translate into being a decent £150k a week footballer.

Give it a week or two and back to his usual spot as an unused sub and it'll be back to the slightly creepy fawning over him as usual.

Jaxa

“Hugs”

But time to leave, I’ve seen more fitness from Olly Murs in a charity match

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Think Diallo will get his his minutes next season.

Still a proper football brain, just no intensity and stamina.

Status
Not open for further replies.