Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
By the looks of it, we're sitting on the Titanic deck. The top players are leaving or they want to leave, the captain is clueless, the CEO is clueless and we're struggling to attract new top talent. After what we did with Jones I won't be surprised if we keep Mata for a ridiculously long time.
Don’t forget Sanchez playing the piano in the background while we sink.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Our squad is already bigger than most as it is. Players for the front 3 positions Mata, Rashy , Martial, Lukaku, Sanchez, Greenwood, jlingz, Daniel James. If we end up signing a striker/winger that's 9 players. We definitely have to move on two. Lukaku is the easy one, Sanchez is going to be difficult. I imagine he will be with us start of the season.
Why group them all together? He's not going to be competing with most of those players. For our RW we have James and maybe Lingard and Greenwood, though it isn't ideal for them to play in that position. He can also play at the head of the midfield. He isn't going to get tones of minutes, but provide depth for when we need it.

BiggusCrickus

If we play Mata in the hole behind the Strikers I still think we have a great player. His passing is right up there. If we use him as a wide option we might aswell play with 10. I hope ole plays him in the role that he excels at and not a square peg in a round hole

Roboc7

I'm not opposed to giving Mata a new contract. But 3 years? What happened to one year deals for players in their 30's?
Desperation, negotiating from a position of weakness and incompetence. Mata at best should have been offered a one year deal, take it or leave it. He’d have to take a pay cut anywhere else and probably hasn’t had great offers.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think it's probably going to be a 2+1 deal rather than a complete three year deal. Still a complete shambles.

Enigma_87

You know who
Desperation, negotiating from a position of weakness and incompetence. Mata at best should have been offered a one year deal, take it or leave it. He’d have to take a pay cut anywhere else and probably hasn’t had great offers.
Yeah appalling. Wonder what the numbers are. I doubt he took a pay cut for those three years. I heard 140k per week but doubt that is true..

chb23

I think this is important for us, more so in terms of the dressing room/professionalism of the club and the re-signing of De gea

LeftyBlaster

It's impressive you managed to turn one point into three.

1. This isn't Football Manager, we can't buy a new squad in one window.
2. This squad is sorely lacking in experience. Mata is a consummate professional with a winning pedigree.
3. In no way is this an indication we are 'settling for not signing a proper player.'
4. He's clearly going to be a peripheral player, used as an anchor point for this transition period.
Ya you’re right it’s really just one big problem. And I’m not asking for one new squad. I’m pointing out the fact that this sort of deal we make with retailing mediocre players is far too common a theme for the past 6 years. And if we are signing him for another 3 years at the wages he’s on to be a peripheral player then it makes our decision making all the more dubious. We have never ever made the best use of the Mata archetype player anyway. Kagawa and Mhki are prime examples. Small techical skillfull creators who thrive on movement in the team.

Back to my point, it worries me that this smacks of penny saving and using experience as an excuse. He’s a nice guy but has declined so badly. And we are signing him for 3 years. As a peripheral player. Makes sense? Not to me.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I thought us coming 6th would open up to major surgery of the team; start by releasing overpaid, old, or ineffective players.

I can see the need for transition, but 3 years contract on high wages for a 31 y.o. ineffective attacking midfielder? Is it because that vague "he understands the Club" excuse?

Last edited:

Selbourne

Good news.

Hopefully in this upcoming season he's actually got a coherent team around him (and some others) so he can actually perform like he can do

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Guess he will now take up the team mascot role, like Ando did for all those years.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Ya you’re right it’s really just one big problem. And I’m not asking for one new squad. I’m pointing out the fact that this sort of deal we make with retailing mediocre players is far too common a theme for the past 6 years. And if we are signing him for another 3 years at the wages he’s on to be a peripheral player then it makes our decision making all the more dubious. We have never ever made the best use of the Mata archetype player anyway. Kagawa and Mhki are prime examples. Small techical skillfull creators who thrive on movement in the team.

Back to my point, it worries me that this smacks of penny saving and using experience as an excuse. He’s a nice guy but has declined so badly. And we are signing him for 3 years. As a peripheral player. Makes sense? Not to me.
That's the thing, you've mentioned the wage that he's on as a concern, but also call it penny pinching. It can't be seen as profligate and tight at the same time.

We haven't made best use of him over the years, but that doesn't mean Ole won't. I think the first 10 games or so was a strong indication of how Ole wants us to play. He wants fast transitions, fluid movement and aggressive defending from the front. Unfortunately our players weren't equipped to do that for than a dozen games. Mata's struggles to play under previous managers tactics shouldn't be held against him here. He's a good player still, which is why he had attracted the attention he has. He offers good squad depth but in no way will he be seen as anything more than a peripheral player.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think this is important for us, more so in terms of the dressing room/professionalism of the club and the re-signing of De gea
Why? Do you think DDG makes his decision based on whether Mata is around? IMO, it is unprofessional to pay players a very high salary who are not good enough anymore and should leave

Enigma_87

You know who
Guess he will now take up the team mascot role, like Ando did for all those years.
worse, can imagine being played as RW again if we won't sign a winger.

In the middle he's still ok for an year considering our options..

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You’ve always had a massive soft spot when it comes to the man and it makes you not see his flaws as a player. There is no way a team looking to reset its squad and looking to win titles should be offering this guy a three year extension.

A one year rolling contract I could live with but even then that is pushing it - this clearing out deadwood myth is simply not going to happen this season or any other season. Really does not look good from a United perspective at this moment in time.
I have but still doesn't change the fact that none of us have any remote idea what our squad will look like come August... It could be massively different to what you or I or anyone can expect.

If we get rid of Sanchez / Darmian / Toni etc and Young / Smalling /MatiC / Mata are all relegated to second choice then isn't that the right way to be going? We still need our squad players, and it's is easier to get squad players through demotion in the squad then buying them in

manunited1919

Mata is one of the most creative players on our team, highly intelligent footballer, can pass and assist well enough. But he lacks pace. He seems to have all the attributes Rashford is missing, if we could only find a way to merge them into one player we’d have a heck of a player.

Having said that, I don’t understand why his contract is being extended even for 1 year, as he doesn’t seem to fit into Ole’s style at all. Maybe the plan is to keep him a year and then sell him to MLS.

flappyjay

I have but still doesn't change the fact that none of us have any remote idea what our squad will look like come August... It could be massively different to what you or I or anyone can expect.

If we get rid of Sanchez / Darmian / Toni etc and Young / Smalling /MatiC / Mata are all relegated to second choice then isn't that the right way to be going? We still need our squad players, and it's is easier to get squad players through demotion in the squad then buying them in
Mata has been a squad player. Lingard is chose ahead of him behind the strikers or right wing.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Magnificent news, we can enjoy watching the most unathletic player in the league become even slower over the coming years.

The millions a year we'l be giving to Jones, Young and Mata off these renewals is a complete joke.

Iv given the clubs power men the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but im starting to come round to what a lot of you have been saying for years, the club appears to be run by complete clowns.

Its not just Matas contract in isolation, its a series of events which add up to paint a bleak bigger picture.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I thought us coming 6th would open up to major surgery of the team; start by releasing overpaid, old, or ineffective players.

I can see the need for transition, but 3 years contract on high wages for a 31 y.o. ineffective attacking midfielder? Is it because that vague "he understands the Club" excuse?
That and he is clearly a positive influence in the dressing room. The club are in a strong enough position financially that extending his contract will have little to no effect on the budget or future purchases. I expect he will play a relatively limited role on the pitch (as has been the case for the last few years) so why not keep him around?

I think this is a smart move all things considered.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Magnificent news, we can enjoy watching the most unathletic player in the league become even slower over the coming years.

The millions a year we'l be giving to Jones, Young and Mata off these renewals is a complete joke.

Iv given the clubs power men the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but im starting to come round to what a lot of you have been saying for years, the club appears to be run by complete clowns.

Its not just Matas contract in isolation, its a series of events which add up to paint a bleak bigger picture.
That's how it is for me too. I like Mata but this is too much now. After the recent renewal of many of our average players, it's frustrating to see this one too.

Jinn

So this is done, accept it and move on.
Personally, I'd rather keep Mata and move on some of the other immovable objects.

SapperBRed75

Happy with this. Creative squad player, get the impression he's a good pro and stabilising personality around the place, can still change a game from the 10 position, Spanish buddy for Dave.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That and he is clearly a positive influence in the dressing room. The club are in a strong enough position financially that extending his contract will have little to no effect on the budget or future purchases. I expect he will play a relatively limited role on the pitch (as has been the case for the last few years) so why not keep him around?

I think this is a smart move all things considered.
Just like @2mufc0 said, a mascot role like Ando?

soaphroniscuss

James Rodriguez is going for 40m euros. And we resign Mata. If we wanted that sort of player, James would be a massive upgrade at a steal of a price. He was a wand of a left foot, and would instantly improve us either in a midfield 3 as the most attacking option, as a no.10 in a 4-2-3-1, or off the right in a 4-3-3.
"Mark" your words :D

norm87cro

Don't mind him if we sign 4/5 first 11 this summer and get rid of some dross. A good squad option especially when the oppisition sits deep and defends.

GBBQ

Don't mind him if we sign 4/5 first 11 this summer and get rid of some dross. A good squad option especially when the oppisition sits deep and defends.
yeah exactly. I don;t see him getting much game time but having him around training etc. shouldn't be a bad thing. Can see him being used in League Cup and potentially could be used to break down teams who have parked the bus (where pace won't be as useful).

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ok, picked up on the looks thing after I’d already replied.

I just think he’s suffered like every other attacking player from being part of a dysfunctional team. Utterly reliant on Pogba to create, completely lost when he’s in one of his can’t be arsed moods.

If we sort out defence and midfield, with two decent fullbacks and a well rounded striker up top, then Mata could potentially thrive. If we can’t do this then he’s the least of our problems.
Agreed. Sort out the other positions and this could be quite smart business.

Bestietom

Probably make him captain and play all the academy players with him, so we don't have to spend..

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Wouldve made sense to just offer him a year extension.

I agree though I dont think mata will play on if he knows he cant. He would be a brilliant mentor to young players.
Any prove of this during his 4 yrs stint here?

beedoubleyou

Mata’s salary will not change significantly but the three-year contract contrasts well with the one year offered initially. He played 32 times last season, scoring six goals. He was taken off at half-time in the Champions League against Paris Saint-Germain. Despite playing an increasingly limited role, Ole Gunnar Solskjær considers him a useful squad player.

I think maybe some of you are more than just a little unreasonably hysterical.

settembrini

Another new contract for our army of deadwood players shouldn't surprise anyone. Our only hope was that he would get a good offer from somewhere else and leave but it seems there has been little interest in him even on a free transfer.

It's another mistake by the club of course and I agree with others that the volume of errors we make is arguably more depressing than the severity of them. It will also be the latest example of Solskjaer's lauded speech about United needing to be ruthless and having a survival of the fittest policy on players being nothing but hot air. Listening to that interview was a moment where I felt that United finally had a manager who was aware of how substandard the current squad was and would do something about it. It's a shame that has so quickly proven to be not the case.

Roboc7

Yeah appalling. Wonder what the numbers are. I doubt he took a pay cut for those three years. I heard 140k per week but doubt that is true..
I imagine he’s on exactly the same salary he was on previously which would be around 150k a week. I doubt he’d earn more than half that if he left but every time we negotiate a contract the player either doesn’t sign or gets a deal way better than they would get anywhere else.

There simply isn’t the competence at the club to negotiate a good deal.

beedoubleyou

Another new contract for our army of deadwood players shouldn't surprise anyone. Our only hope was that he would get a good offer from somewhere else and leave but it seems there has been little interest in him even on a free transfer.

It's another mistake by the club of course and I agree with others that the volume of errors we make is arguably more depressing than the severity of them. It will also be the latest example of Solskjaer's lauded speech about United needing to be ruthless and having a survival of the fittest policy on players being nothing but hot air. Listening to that interview was a moment where I felt that United finally had a manager who was aware of how substandard the current squad was and would do something about it. It's a shame that has so quickly proven to be not the case.
If only we had the Internet when Brian McClair got his final contract. Jesus. I think I'm done with you lot.

Enigma_87

You know who
I imagine he’s on exactly the same salary he was on previously which would be around 150k a week. I doubt he’d earn more than half that if he left but every time we negotiate a contract the player either doesn’t sign or gets a deal way better than they would get anywhere else.

There simply isn’t the competence at the club to negotiate a good deal.
Only in China or MLS I guess. Agree he won't get it somewhere else.

On a flip side we didn't give Herrera contract around that mark to give Mata a three years one. Herrera would've been more useful to Mata as things stand.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I simply don't understand. He's a nice guy but he's done very little of consequence for some time and was so often not a starter last season.... seems to say an awful lot about where we are right now and our thoughts on getting desired targets