Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

chb23

Why? Do you think DDG makes his decision based on whether Mata is around? IMO, it is unprofessional to pay players a very high salary who are not good enough anymore and should leave
It won't be the whole reason but no doubt will play some part.

Likewise for sancho coming here.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I have but still doesn't change the fact that none of us have any remote idea what our squad will look like come August... It could be massively different to what you or I or anyone can expect.

If we get rid of Sanchez / Darmian / Toni etc and Young / Smalling /MatiC / Mata are all relegated to second choice then isn't that the right way to be going? We still need our squad players, and it's is easier to get squad players through demotion in the squad then buying them in
This argument has been thrown around for years and it makes no sense anymore. To create a fresh new vibe and culture of the club there needs to be a mass clearout - not keeping underperformers on big wages and rewarding mediocrity and saying they can stay as squad players.

There is a culture of failure at United and these contract renewals suggest there is nothing going to change any time soon.

Kaglish10

The most annoying part is that he's not even a no 10 but a SS/forward. He depends on his team's creativity before he can have any impact whatsoever. He got David Silva while at Valencia. Had Lampard while at Chelsea and his best runs under Moyes was when he had Kagawa drifting inside to create and dictate the flow. The fact that he's now pretty immobile is another headache on its own.

The hell the board was thinking? So annoying! I have been in a foul mood since yesterday.

Siorac

This argument has been thrown around for years and it makes no sense anymore. To create a fresh new vibe and culture of the club there needs to be a mass clearout - not keeping underperformers on big wages and rewarding mediocrity and saying they can stay as squad players.

There is a culture of failure at United and these contract renewals suggest there is nothing going to change any time soon.
During the season, there are always cries for a clearout, for getting rid of deadwood, to finally make substantial changes.

Then a contract renewal happens and the Caf is inundated with posts like "but he's a good squad player", "he can still do a job", "he's the least of our problems" etc. And then when we're languishing around 6th place, the same people will wonder why we have such a bloated squad and a huge wage bill while achieving feck all.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
During the season, there are always cries for a clearout, for getting rid of deadwood, to finally make substantial changes.

Then a contract renewal happens and the Caf is inundated with posts like "but he's a good squad player", "he can still do a job", "he's the least of our problems" etc. And then when we're languishing around 6th place, the same people will wonder why we have such a bloated squad and a huge wage bill while achieving feck all.
It is a cycle of insanity. Our fans are becoming 'soft' and letting the club make shite decisions without getting any real flak for it. Mata is a glorified blogger at this stage.. the fact he's one of our 'better' players says it all tbh. He should not be in a squad looking to win serious trophies at this stage of his career.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

You cant have a mass clearout and have a squad that can compete on all fronts. All these contact renewals state for Young/Mata is that we're keeping them as back up. Ultimately if we sign 6 or 7 new players and have a completely different looking first team, is that still a culture of failure?

What's the point in buying a player to fill in at number 10? Why not keep Mata (who was actually decent most times he played there last year) who can do a job and spend the money on a starting 10 / another winger / Pogba replacement etc.

If he's being kept on as a RW then that's a problem, but none of us know that right now... Or what or squad will look like at all.

Devils11

With Mata and Lingard staying, I am 99% certain we are not buying another right winger. Pretty sure now we will get a RB, CB, MF (to replace Herrera) and possibly a CF if Lukaku leave.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You cant have a mass clearout and have a squad that can compete on all fronts. All these contact renewals state for Young/Mata is that we're keeping them as back up. Ultimately if we sign 6 or 7 new players and have a completely different looking first team, is that still a culture of failure?

What's the point in buying a player to fill in at number 10? Why not keep Mata (who was actually decent most times he played there last year) who can do a job and spend the money on a starting 10 / another winger / Pogba replacement etc.

If he's being kept on as a RW then that's a problem, but none of us know that right now... Or what or squad will look like at all.
In what sense is this squad competing on all fronts as it currently stands?

If Mata could do his fecking job we wouldn't need to be in the market for wingers and are you telling me we can rely on Juan Mata as a number 10 for the entire season as a regular starter? we can barely rely on him as a squaddie no.10 - if we are talking from a title challenging perspective.

Mailo

I hate the sentence "can do a job" with a passion... But this is United at the moment. Everybody just does a job.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The most annoying part is that he's not even a no 10 but a SS/forward. He depends on his team's creativity before he can have any impact whatsoever. He got David Silva while at Valencia. Had Lampard while at Chelsea and his best runs under Moyes was when he had Kagawa drifting inside to create and dictate the flow. The fact that he's now pretty immobile is another headache on its own.

The hell the board was thinking? So annoying! I have been in a foul mood since yesterday.
maybe it's a sort 2 for e deal: Young and Smalling signed new deals so we had to do same with mata. I know it makes no sense.. but so little about the club does these days

Sir Scott McToMinay

I don’t know where this idea comes from, that Juan Mata is a good number 10, and that he was good for us playing number 10.

The guy is slower than he’s been , it’s absolute madness that we gave him a contract extension, the club is run by soft drunks by the looks of it.

“Compete on all fronts” have you people go mad?

Enigma_87

You know who
I have but still doesn't change the fact that none of us have any remote idea what our squad will look like come August... It could be massively different to what you or I or anyone can expect.

If we get rid of Sanchez / Darmian / Toni etc and Young / Smalling /MatiC / Mata are all relegated to second choice then isn't that the right way to be going? We still need our squad players, and it's is easier to get squad players through demotion in the squad then buying them in
I really don't get where this comes from. Many fans say there will be revolution of some kind. Mass clear out. But what is the evidence of that?

So far in the last year or so many of those that should be booted renewed with the club and Young was made captain.

Sanchez looks like he's going nowhere, Darmian as well. Why does everybody keeps repeating it will be a clearout when in the same time the club actually does the opposite thing renewing contracts left and right and even giving 3 year deals for 31 year olds. :lol:

So far we let go of the following "deadwood" - Herrera and Pogba, DDG and Lukaku - three first teamers are on their way out.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I really don't get where this comes from. Many fans say there will be revolution of some kind. Mass clear out. But what is the evidence of that?

So far in the last year or so many of those that should be booted renewed with the club and Young was made captain.

Sanchez looks like he's going nowhere, Darmian as well. Why does everybody keeps repeating it will be a clearout when in the same time the club actually does the opposite thing renewing contracts left and right and even giving 3 year deals for 31 year olds. :lol:

So far we let go of the following "deadwood" - Herrera and Pogba, DDG and Lukaku - three first teamers are on their way out.
Agree. No idea where the optimism comes from. Not even one thing we have done is consistent with a clearout.

RedDevil@84

There is no mass clear out or a mass clean up happening. There is not going to be a mass buying spree or anything.
We will buy a few players who have no competition and go on from there. We will hope others slip up and we get the top 4 trophy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
With Mata and Lingard staying, I am 99% certain we are not buying another right winger. Pretty sure now we will get a RB, CB, MF (to replace Herrera) and possibly a CF if Lukaku leave.
Probably not. If the links to Sancho carry any weight then we'll probably wait on him.

Which is fine. We have plenty of other positions we need to strengthen too and if Sancho is the right man in the long run and we think we'll get him next year then what can you do?

The nice thing about being as bad as we are is that there are so many ways you can improve the team.

redsunited

One good reason Mata is given a contract extension is that DeGea too may renew. Hopefully that happens.

Stevondo8

Personally have no real problem with Mata being extended for now...I expect him to go next summer if/when Sancho comes in however.

What sort of wages are we talking for Mata?

Adcuth

Probably not. If the links to Sancho carry any weight then we'll probably wait on him.

Which is fine. We have plenty of other positions we need to strengthen too and if Sancho is the right man in the long run and we think we'll get him next year then what can you do?

The nice thing about being as bad as we are is that there are so many ways you can improve the team.
We're never signing Sancho. Those links are as much bollocks as all the links to ronaldo in the past

sweetmgd

Real model for youngsters? Then how come Martial's attitude is so shit? How come the pure red Rashford asking for 350k? How come Lingard focus on his business instead of football career? And Depay, Januzaj? Please don't over-estimate his influence to the dressing room. It already proved for many years youngsters won't listen to him.

Good squad player? 2 goals and 0 assist under Ole. Is the defination of good squad player just making number of first team, instead of consider his contribution?

Can't sell the whole squad in one window? Is that the reason we always renew the medicore's contract again and again, and half of our squad becomes deadwoods? And for the next season crying that why Man Utd perform that shit, and remain 6,7 position? Funny logic.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In what sense is this squad competing on all fronts as it currently stands?

If Mata could do his fecking job we wouldn't need to be in the market for wingers and are you telling me we can rely on Juan Mata as a number 10 for the entire season as a regular starter? we can barely rely on him as a squaddie no.10 - if we are talking from a title challenging perspective.
Competing on all fronts is a concept foreign to this team indeed. The Premier League and returning to the CL should be the main priority

lucawork

Agreed. However I'm starting to worry about getting deals over the line. Less than two weeks to go till pre season and Ole wanted the new signings in before. We really cannot afford another summer like last year, dropping out of the top 6 is a real possibility if so.

Jeffthered

Aside from my anger, as a United fan, this, I lay squarely at the door of our new esteemed manager.

Manchester United CANNOT accept Juan Mata as the level and quality of player that the club should be aspiring to retain, or purchase. The guys impact is average at best. But I am not surprised that he even chose to stay, because he knows he does not have to do sweet f*** all and he's at one of the biggest clubs in the world. This is a joke of a decision. Look at the other players moving around Europe. Real buy Hazard and Luka Jovic, and want Paul Pogba. Liverpool have eyes on De Ligt.

And we extend the contract of Juan Mata.

I said recently, that the club has become an embarrassment, with few or no people there with the boll***s to do anything about it.

This is the decision and announcement of a club going nowhere. Absolutely nowhere.

mu4c_20le

Woodward doing this to avoid spending on new player.
We probably aren't signing a RW this summer if Ole and Woodward truly wants Sancho. So this move is the same as extending the contracts of our CBs, just gives us some more breathing room and time to rebuild.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
He is 31, slow and going to become slower. A 3 year contract doesn't make any sense. WHY?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Think this makes sense personally. We're potentially losing Pogba and Lukaku, and Mata should in theory be able to at least make up some of the lost productivity.

If you work around his limitations, he is still a technically sound, creative player. And he's at the club, requires no signing fee and will be good in the dressing room.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Think this makes sense personally. We're potentially losing Pogba and Lukaku, and Mata should in theory be able to at least make up some of the lost productivity.

If you work around his limitations, he is still a technically sound, creative player. And he's at the club, requires no signing fee and will be good in the dressing room.
He'll be absolutely shite.

evil_geko

Finally a decent post in this thread. Agree with this.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

this. Plus he’ll be an experienced head for the kids.

izec

He is 31, slow and going to become slower. A 3 year contract doesn't make any sense. WHY?
Off the pitch charm. Our priority lies outside of football as well, that isnt a surprise. Mata is a great spokesperson to have in terms of marketing and the intersection between football/sport and social issues. Nothing wrong with that, he is smart and a nice guy. We are looking to tie him down to the club after his career, so offering him a long contract goes to show that we appreciate having him around.

From a sporting perspective though, he is not worth more than a one year contract.

RedStarUnited

With all the limitation the squad already has, we don't have time to work around another limitation.

Kemizee

And these in part are why we are in the shambles we currently find ourselves. When a player is seen as 'is still and used to be this and that' instead of 'he is' and when they are responsible for the dressing room feel good factor instead of being a motivated and determined warrior on the pitch.

Everyone knows that Juan Mata contributes nothing basically on the pitch but since Woodward and Ole decide to renew his contract, you are left with many trying to justify the egregious decision by comments such as this.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That is the only thing that doesn't make sense to me. I get why we signed him, but I figured it would be a one year deal. Mind you, that also means that next year we can get a transfer fee for him when he goes to MLS or some smaller Spanish club...

RedStarUnited

That is the only thing that doesn't make sense to me. I get why we signed him, but I figured it would be a one year deal. Mind you, that also means that next year we can get a transfer fee for him when he goes to MLS or some smaller Spanish club...
By then we would have paid him wages for a year which probably equal whatever the transfer fee we will get next year. I would love to know how contract renewals happen at United.

Jeffthered

And this (I mean this respectively, not personal..) is the reason why Manchester United FC is the on-field shambles it is. Juan Mata has little presence on and off the field. I would be good in that dressing room!

He has SHOWN that he is a limited player, regardless of his technical ability.. he has no pace, power, drive, leadership... he can't cut it this club, so why are we keeping him. More importantly than that, what kind of message does this send?

It is an utter joke, and I worry that we have a generation of fans, who have become accustomed to having no success, and little real aspiration. Just headline purchases. Juan Mata been given a new contract does not suggest a team, a club looking to build something substantial, progressive, competitive and efficient.

I am so p***ed at this announcement. It is wrong, wrong, wrong for so many reasons.

Wolverhampton Wanderers and Watford have a whole midfield better and more effective than Juan Mata! Wolves! Watford!

And we are Manchester United!

You could not make this up....