Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Same man who reports AWB fee has been agreed raising muppet dreams around cafe.

A main midfield cog who loved the club has left us for free which had a direct impact on our seasons abysmal finish in europa league. How often does it happen at this club?
What? So Duncan > BBC?

Herrera was on 80k, how Can anyone believe he was offered lower wages?

I don't know what you meant by second paragraph, it's not even relevant. You need 3 parties to agree a deal.

fallengt

This thread is disgusting. It just shows to me everything that is wrong with modern football and so called United fans. The club is being destroyed by the Glazers no doubt but the modern day fans are just as responsible imho.
What did we do? Mata read this thread and crying in the corner now?
My apologies, I still love you Joan. Hugs

Last edited:

Sing you a song

"Model Professional"
What use was this model professionalism for last two years as he went on a sharp decline? This fanbase is really strange.
Wake up and smell the roses we are struggling to sign any players at the moment so to let go such a good player ( who has been played out of position for years without rocking the boat ) would be bloody ridiculous and as big a mistake as letting Herrera leave .
Have you seen our current midfield options ?
This is going to be one of our worst ever windows , regularly missing out on champs lge has finally taken its toll, top players are not interested in joining us anymore unless we pay them obscene money ( which then upsets the rest of the toxic dressing room .
A new contract for Mata is the only sensible thing Woodward has done for years

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Imagine being a marquee signing from a rival club then being constantly under utilised, played out of position and never given the role he desired then being subbed constantly or dropped but all the time being a positive influence to the team and constantly communicating with the fans, apologising for poor performances and results even when he personally was not involved. Then when picked often being the scape-goat for bad performances and losses...

All the while seeing players on 4× his money being fecking useless and not giving a shit about the team or fans...

Or seeing someone given everything only to say they want to leave...

Yeah, let's all give Mata shit.

I'd rather 11 Matas than 11 Sanchezes.
Damn right bro - I knew we would be on the same wavelength!

Experience of what losing? How to keep a dead career going by penning cute blogs and hugging fans each time you underperform on pitch relative to your fee and salary?

As for Young - don’t get me started.
Mata has won plenty in his career including starting and winning a CL final - he's a positive influence and the kind of character I want around the club to guide the kids coming through. And he scored some vital goals last season so he's hardly finished on the pitch either.

Like I said, it is about more than just performance on the pitch anyway - especially at this turbulent time when the club has had an identity crisis in the postFergie era
The likes of Mata and Young are clearly past their peaks as players but you need a squad and winning experience in the dressing room is important if we want to get back to the top of the tree

Bizarre that many of our fans dont understand this

How about keeping a model professional Herrera and not waste wages on mata?.
Id have kept Herrera too - IMO it was a mistake by the club not to tie him down earlier.

Shark

@NotShark
2 years is not bad deal for us. He'd be a good back up.
Yeah, he's a decent squad player, so I guess it's not all bad. If he starts matches for us next season on the right, I'm so done though.

Last edited:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Damn right bro - The likes of Mata and Young are clearly past their peaks as players but you need a squad and winning experience in the dressing room is important if we want to get back to the top of the tree

Bizarre that many of our fans dont understand this
Mata's been here for 6 years already, what exactly has his experience offered in the dressing room?

Young's case is even worse. In the previous season, every single one of our opponents targeted him as the weakest link in our, poor anyways, defensive line. At the age of 34, soon to be 35, he wouldn't even survive in a side fighting to avoid relegation. All his hard work amounts to nothing because he's an absolute liability nowadays.

You make them sound like they're like Cantona, who came to Manchester in 1993 as a PL winner and helped us end our years in the wilderness. Well, it didn't take him half a decade to leave his mark, did it?

Havak

Pokemon master
I think this is possibly a safety net as we might not be able to line up the midfield and forward players we want this Summer. If we manage to sign the right players next time then I can see Mata being moved on if there's a buyer. He's probably still worth having around but I'd hope he only really plays as a no.10 against the bottom half sides at Old Trafford and adds some experience to the cup games. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him to at least take a pay-cut however. It seems like he's still going to be on £140k~ a week which is too much for someone who is definitely a squad player. Lingard will play more of a part than him (much to the frustration of some) and is on £100k. Mata should be getting similar IMO, but ah well.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Mata's been here for 6 years already, what exactly has his experience offered in the dressing room?

Young's case is even worse. In the previous season, every single one of our opponents targeted him as the weakest link in our, poor anyways, defensive line. At the age of 34, soon to be 35, he wouldn't even survive in a side fighting to avoid relegation. All his hard work amounts to nothing because he's an absolute liability nowadays.

You make them sound like they're like Cantona, who came to Manchester in 1993 as a PL winner and helped us end our years in the wilderness. Well, it didn't take him half a decade to leave his mark, did it?
There is only one King Eric and we dont have anyone near that level of influence at the moment so we just have to make do with what we have and build a new era from there

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Great squad player as some have already said and financially it makes sense, a new player for his position would cost a lot more. Will be useful at some point in the season but should 100% be kept away from the RW positions. No10 position only.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

There is only one King Eric and we dont have anyone near that level of influence at the moment so we just have to make do with what we have and build a new era from there
Build it by giving the experienced players who can play a minor role (not Young) rolling one-year contracts. Then, at the end of each season, evaluate your options and see if you can get the targets who are at the top of your list. Even if the ultimate goal is to make Mata an ambassador, we can guarantee him that without keeping him here until forever. For example, if we reach an agreement with BvB to sign Sancho next summer, we can tell Mata to stay for another season and then, when he retires, we'll have a place for him on the board.

The 2+1 makes little sense and it indicates that Lingard and Mata will be our primary play-makers for the next two seasons. That is not what you want when even CL football isn't a certainty for you. You have to do better than that. I believe that's why so many posters are upset, not because they hate Mata or anything like that.

Sing you a song

Looks like they extended his contract because we have no funds
We have funds but top players are not interested and playing for us anymore , missing out on champs lge again was the final nail in our coffin we are no longer one of the worlds super clubs

Jig1234

Juan Mata signing isn't the end of the world but I do think it sets the tone for our summer window. No one looks like they are leaving and signings are bit slow. I think our budget is going to be very low. Maybe, 100M max. We won't get any money for Mata, Jones etc. So, the club will hoard everyone they can. Bring in 2-3 players. That's it.

TRUERED89

Cantona came in the summer of 1992 actually, as a PL winner with Leeds, and helped us win the first of 13 PL's in 1993! :)

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Cantona came in the summer of 1992 actually, as a PL winner with Leeds, and helped us win the first of 13 PL's in 1993! :)
He signed on November 26 of 1992 and played his first game on December 6th, midway through our 92/93 title campaign to be exact. I wasn't sure about the date, so i wrote 1993. Should have written in the second half of the 92/93 season. Crazy to think that Leeds had made an inquiry about Irwin and on the spur of the moment (while on the telephone) Fergie asked about Cantona who was having a hard time at Leeds.

But the point stills stands, i believe (general comment, not directed at you). Mata has failed to leave a lasting impression at United and i don't see how keeping him around for the next three seasons will have a positive effect on the pitch and how it will make a meaningful difference in the dressing room. He's already been with us for quite a long time, after all.

And i really can't buy into this "play him in his favoured position" arguments. As if the idea of the wide play-maker is so absurd in modern football. He's constantly being compared with the other great Spaniards of his generation like Silva, Iniesta and Fabregas. The former two have more than often been deployed as play-makers in wide positions and they have excelled in that role. Fabregas was great either as a #10 or an #8. Why? Because of their ability to dictate play in tight spaces and beat their markers on the half-turn without conceding space and losing time on the ball. Mata's problem isn't his position on the pitch. It's that when he's being marked, his first one or two touches are always sideways or backwards (so that he can find enough space to turn and face the goal) and this gives the opposition time to adjust their defensive positions.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Build it by giving the experienced players who can play a minor role (not Young) rolling one-year contracts. Then, at the end of each season, evaluate your options and see if you can get the targets who are at the top of your list. Even if the ultimate goal is to make Mata an ambassador, we can guarantee him that without keeping him here until forever. For example, if we reach an agreement with BvB to sign Sancho next summer, we can tell Mata to stay for another season and then, when he retires, we'll have a place for him on the board.

The 2+1 makes little sense and it indicates that Lingard and Mata will be our primary play-makers for the next two seasons. That is not what you want when even CL football isn't a certainty for you. You have to do better than that. I believe that's why so many posters are upset, not because they hate Mata or anything like that.
No need to get upset over 1 year vs 2, its hardly a big deal. Probably he had multiyear contract offers elsewhere and he may well get involved on the coaching side over the next 2 years I expect.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I don't get the fuss, is not about Mata isn't it? Having 2 or 4 "Juan Matas" in a 25 men squad cant be that harmful. The problem is having them plus other 21 players in the squad that don't have the level to contend for the title.

It's not on Ed for renewing him, nor Mata's fault so he has to be pointed out and discredit his experience or leadership, if no one wants to come it doesn't matter what happens with this contract.

Smores

What it does mean is that we're definitely not getting an actual right winger this summer. For me that's enough reason to be annoyed by this.

TRUERED89

He signed on November 26 of 1992 and played his first game on December 6th, midway through our 92/93 title campaign to be exact. I wasn't sure about the date, so i wrote 1993. Should have written in the second half of the 92/93 season. Crazy to think that Leeds had made an inquiry about Irwin and on the spur of the moment (while on the telephone) Fergie asked about Cantona who was having a hard time at Leeds.

But the point stills stands, i believe (general comment, not directed at you). Mata has failed to leave a lasting impression at United and i don't see how keeping him around for the next three seasons will have a positive effect on the pitch and how it will make a meaningful difference in the dressing room. He's already been with us for quite a long time, after all.

And i really can't buy into this "play him in his favoured position" arguments. As if the idea of the wide play-maker is so absurd in modern football. He's constantly being compared with the other great Spaniards of his generation like Silva, Iniesta and Fabregas. The former two have more than often been deployed as play-makers in wide positions and they have excelled in that role. Fabregas was great either as a #10 or an #8. Why? Because of their ability to dictate play in tight spaces and beat their markers on the half-turn without conceding space and losing time on the ball. Mata's problem isn't his position on the pitch. It's that when he's being marked, his first one or two touches are always sideways or backwards (so that he can find enough space to turn and face the goal) and this gives the opposition time to adjust their defensive positions.
Interesting, wasn't aware that you could do deals in November back then?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Interesting, wasn't aware that you could do deals in November back then?
Googled it because i could not remember the exact date but i remembered very well that we signed him midway through the 92/93 season. We were desperate for a forward because our 1 million pounds signing, Dion Dublin, had suffered a horrendous injury (from which he sadly never fully recovered). You can say we got the best player we could. King Eric... :drool:

TRUERED89

Googled it because i could not remember the exact date but i remembered very well that we signed him midway through the 92/93 season. We were desperate for a forward because our 1 million pounds signing, Dion Dublin, had suffered a horrendous injury (from which he sadly never fully recovered). You can say we got the best player we could. King Eric... :drool:
Changed the history of Man United, so yea safe to say we got the best player we could :lol:.

SoCross

What a load of phoney disingenuous garbage. I think you need to go a strawman argument beginners course because right now your attempts at them are amateurish and subpar.
Oh wow, that’s me done in by elnorte, argument master supreme.

SoCross

We didn't cast off any deadwood apart from Valencia. Rojo, Jones, Young and Mata all got contracts. Even Darmian is still around. These posts need to stop. You make believe we have already sold most of the deadwood and keeping the remaining few of them. :lol:
If the club hasn’t significantly reinforced by the end of the transfer window, then your post is valid. The ‘deadwood’ isn’t easy to shift though and I’d consider Mata to be less ‘deadwood-ish’ than Jones, Rojo, Sanchez, Darmian.

Then there’s the second tier of Young, Bailly.

After that you got third tier Lingard, Mata, Fred, Grant, Pereira

Leaving us with: Rashford, Martial, Smalling, Romero, Scotty Mac, Shaw, Lindelof, Dalot, Matic as the mainstays in the squad.

And the three wantaway - Pogba, Lukaku, DDG.

Depressing reading but at least to me, at least 6 players to get rid of before packing Mata off.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Young is "second tier" deadwood? :nervous:
Let's say we buy AWB and sell Darmian (who has wanted to leave for quite a while now). That leaves us with AWB, Shaw, Dalot and Young as fullbacks.

If we got rid of Young we would then have to spend money on yet another fullback, off the back of buying both Dalot and AWB. Money that we could really do with spending elsewhere.

Just by virtue of occupying a squad space in a position where we have the minimum neccesary players, Young is more valuable than some of the other deadwood, despite being shite in and of himself.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Let's say we buy AWB and sell Darmian (who has wanted to leave for quite a while now). That leaves us with AWB, Shaw, Dalot and Young as fullbacks.

If we got rid of Young we would then have to spend money on yet another fullback, off the back of buying both Dalot and AWB. Money that we could really do with spending elsewhere.

Just by virtue of occupying a squad space in a position where we have the minimum neccesary players, Young is more valuable than some of the other deadwood, despite being shite in and of himself.
Eathan Laird
Brandon Williams
TFM

Would gladly see any of these play instead of Young.

Smores

I think you've already forgotten how done Young looked at the end of the season. He's finished there'sno rationale to play him instead of well anyone.