Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

ZLATAN9

I think Mata on the training ground and dressing room is most valuable to Us,Not on the pitch but is it me or is it not satisfying knowing we've signed someone that Barcalona wanted? Or is that just to get him a contract with us?

KetilOwren88

At least he loves the club and I doubt he will make any trouble, unlike some other players. I am fine with it, but that means some other attackers need to go with Lukaku and Sánchez as the most likely ones.

sweetmgd

If Mata really loves the club, when we offer him one year extension, he should sign it, instead of bargaining for 2 years contract or more, because he knows he can't find any stupid club like us who can offer him such wage with this kind of performance. Just like his buddy A. Herrera, always saying how he loves Man Utd, but eventually left with money.

I am pretty sure Mata can become a good international ambassador, always know how to write the same shit on his blog after we lose in order to favour our fans, like this time, saying "signing the new contract is because of our vision and future". I really don't know what kind of vision is by renewing Young, Rojo, Jones and him.

Nico87

Today’s reports are that he has taken a 45k pay cut to remain at the club, I’m glad he’s stayed I just hope we use him in his right position and not on the wing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If Mata really loves the club, when we offer him one year extension, he should sign it, instead of bargaining for 2 years contract or more, because he knows he can't find any stupid club like us who can offer him such wage with this kind of performance. Just like his buddy A. Herrera, always saying how he loves Man Utd, but eventually left with money.

I am pretty sure Mata can become a good international ambassador, always know how to write the same shit on his blog after we lose in order to favour our fans, like this time, saying "signing the new contract is because of our vision and future". I really don't know what kind of vision is by renewing Young, Rojo, Jones and him.
I'm sorry but why would he do that ? He can love the club but also look out for his best possible interest too and specially if the club is the one who is willing to offer him more than 1 year.

Jeffthered

Reading this thread highlights a worrying trend. I read people saying he is a 'model professional' and that he will be 'good in the changing room'.

Really? Because I think he will not be any good at all. He is not a leader, and hasn't said f*** all to the players around him. If he does, they certainly take little notice.

I personally do NOT want Juan Mata setting any example to the youngsters at the club. Why on earth would you want Man United to produce young players with the mentality and approach to the game as Juan Mata?

The guy should be out the door, no question. All this is just a joke.

He is more interested in off the pitch activities, and has no real desire to be playing for a top, tough, competitive team. You can flamin' well see that.

Like Martial, Lindgard.. he will score a couple of lovely goals a season, a few decent performances.

And that's basically it.

Since when did that become good enough for Man United, because it would not be accepted by any of our 'competitors'.

Kag

Reading this thread highlights a worrying trend. I read people saying he is a 'model professional' and that he will be 'good in the changing room'.

Really? Because I think he will not be any good at all. He is not a leader, and hasn't said f*** all to the players around him. If he does, they certainly take little notice.

I personally do NOT want Juan Mata setting any example to the youngsters at the club. Why on earth would you want Man United to produce young players with the mentality and approach to the game as Juan Mata?

He is more interested in off the pitch activities, and has no real desire to be playing for a top, tough, competitive team. You can flamin' well see that.

Like Martial, Lindgard.. he will score a couple of lovely goals a season, a few decent performances.

And that's basically it.

Since when did that become good enough for Man United, because it would not be accepted by any of our 'competitors'.
This is a contender for worst post of the year.

Particularly the bits where you have a) pretended to have been sat in our dressing room and b) criticised him for founding charities which aim to facilitate social mobility.

This is a contender for worst post of the year.

Particularly the bits where you have a) pretended to have been sat in our dressing room and b) criticised him for founding charities which aim to facilitate social mobility.
It’s a shoe-in for worst post of the year. Absoubtly appalling. Mata is one of the few professional footballers who genuinely cares about those worse off than him - and puts his own money towards helping others. He is someone you can see puts the team first - we have played him out of poison most of his Utd career, and he just gets on with it. Clearly he’s not at quick and strong as we would like, and we need to improve on our right wing options - the fact that Utd have t bought anyone to play on the right in 7 or 8 years, and he has to play there isn’t his fault.

He’s absoubtly a model pro.

You sound extremely bitter.

Ekeke

I think Mata on the training ground and dressing room is most valuable to Us,Not on the pitch but is it me or is it not satisfying knowing we've signed someone that Barcalona wanted? Or is that just to get him a contract with us?
How do you know Barcelona wanted him? Rumours.

And if its so good having him on the training ground and dressing room why have we been so poor since the first season he came here?

Sing you a song

The guy has never rocked the boat once even after season upon season of being played in the wrong position .
He’s taken a 40k a week pay cut to be able to get a 2 year deal hopefully he will be made club captain snd at last give us a captain who is respected by all and a role model to the kids .I hope he stays long after his playing career finishes.
Some of the other parasites we have should hang there heads

Ekeke

The guy has never rocked the boat once even after season upon season of being played in the wrong position .
He’s taken a 40k a week pay cut to be able to get a 2 year deal hopefully he will be made club captain snd at last give us a captain who is respected by all and a role model to the kids .I hope he stays long after his playing career finishes.
Some of the other parasites we have should hang there heads
If he has taken a pay cut to at least £100k then thats a good start. But I havent seen something that confirms it? When there were rumours he was about to sign a new deal I suggested it wouldnt be the end of the world as long as he took a pay cut to around £100k, so I'd be surprisingly on the ball if it turned out thats exactly what has happened. But I'll need some confirmation of that before I believe he took that pay cut

devil in me

And that's basically it.

You dont want a guy who is a model pro, respected by pretty much everyone who likes football, who never ever gets involved in any nonsense off the pitch and who has set up his own charity, to be an influence on the younger lads?
Each to their own i suppose.

Sing you a song

If he has taken a pay cut to at least £100k then thats a good start. But I havent seen something that confirms it? When there were rumours he was about to sign a new deal I suggested it wouldnt be the end of the world as long as he took a pay cut to around £100k, so I'd be surprisingly on the ball if it turned out thats exactly what has happened. But I'll need some confirmation of that before I believe he took that pay cut
It’s all over internet tonight press will be full of it tomorrow good to see someone showing commitment to the club for w change

Sing you a song

And that's basically it.

What a bizarre post

Would you rather have some self centred scum bag like Pogba as captain and Role model we can all see the negative influence he has had on lingard and Rashford going the same way .
Mata has kept quiet because he has never been given the platform to make a stand , make him captain now , there aren’t any other viable candidates anyway

ZLATAN9

How do you know Barcelona wanted him? Rumours.

And if its so good having him on the training ground and dressing room why have we been so poor since the first season he came here?
Because every newspaper and sports channel in the country reported it that's how I know.

It's not his fault he was signed by David Moyes , we were always doomed when SAF retired he could put 11 nobody's in a team and still win something.

Ok if you take Mata out the dressing room who eles have you got? Lingaard and Martial players like that he's one of the if not the most experienced players we got so you want to get rid of him? good one .

Here's what he's won

World cup
Euro cup
Champions League
2 FA cups
1 League Cup
1 Spanish cup
2 Europa Leagues
Under 21 cup
Under 19 cup
Comunity Shield

I've seen better but I've seen a lot worse one of the best decorated players currently at the club

Last edited by a moderator:

Ekeke

Because every newspaper and sports channel in the country reported it that's how I know.

It's not his fault he was signed by David Moyes , we were always doomed when SAF retired he could put 11 nobody's in a team and still win something.

Ok if you take Mata out the dressing room who eles have you got? Lingaard and Martial players like that he's one of the if not the most experienced players we got so you want to get rid of him? good one .

Here's what he's won

World cup
Euro cup
Champions League
2 FA cups
1 League Cup
1 Spanish cup
2 Europa Leagues
Under 21 cup
Under 19 cup
Comunity Shield

I've seen better but I've seen a lot worse one of the best decorated players currently at the club
Yeah im sure Mata turned down Barcelona to stay at 6th placed United :lol:

kouroux

What a bizarre post

Would you rather have some self centred scum bag like Pogba as captain and Role model we can all see the negative influence he has had on lingard and Rashford going the same way .
Mata has kept quiet because he has never been given the platform to make a stand , make him captain now , there aren’t any other viable candidates anyway
Woah, in trying to defend Mata, you went way OTT. Scumbag ? Really ?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

And that's basically it.

Wtf! I get that you don't like him and I agree that he has a lot of weaknesses, but there is no way that his mentality or approach to the game can be questioned. The guy literally runs his socks off, tracks back and is among the only guys who actually puts the team before himself.

And are we really criticizing him for Common Goal now? Its probably the best off field activity any footballer is carrying out, and is helping the society. Surely if these are the grounds behind the criticism, then something is wrong with you

Marcus

His game is not based on speed, kind of like Sheringham. Mata's technical ability will be an asset if he is deployed correctly.

Saffron

Yeah im sure Mata turned down Barcelona to stay at 6th placed United :lol:
That’s a little disingenous; he joined in January 2014 when we still had a lot of pull. He went to the reigning PL champions.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
His game is not based on speed, kind of like Sheringham. Mata's technical ability will be an asset if he is deployed correctly.
He's barely been an asset his entire United career. Why should he all of a sudden become one now?

red4ever 79

Reading through this thread makes me wonder if we have actually signed a new player called Mata. I have seen such things written as leader'role model'asset.

This is the same guy who couldnt even get many games last year, and is now slower than a tortoise? Or did we really sign a new player.

Bestietom

He will probably play about 15 games in the 2 years he signed for. Taking a young players place in the squad.Ridiculous.

sweetmgd

I'm sorry but why would he do that ? He can love the club but also look out for his best possible interest too and specially if the club is the one who is willing to offer him more than 1 year.
Mata's dad confirmed we only offered him 1 year at the first time, and Mata bargained until 1X days before his contract expired, he finally signed the contract. So do you really think we are really willing to offer a 31 years old player that length of contract? Even Giggs had no this treatment before, don't forget Giggs even offer much more to the team at 37 years old . He just knows he has advantage to bargin for more years or otherwise we lose him for free. He knows our management is shit, renewing Young, Rojo, Jones, Smalling as well.

And no wonder why many fans love him, he really knows how to favour fans, writing the same things every time when we loss, say how much he loved Man Utd, but when he was at Chelsea, he always said exactly the same thing. Signing the new contract because of the club's vision and ambition? It is funny that some fans really trust him.

haram

If you use him properly he is still valuable at home. Away, not so much.

Devils11

You dont want a guy who is a model pro, respected by pretty much everyone who likes football, who never ever gets involved in any nonsense off the pitch and who has set up his own charity, to be an influence on the younger lads?
Each to their own i suppose.
For all those craps about role model, give me a Cantona any day.

kouroux

Mata's dad confirmed we only offered him 1 year at the first time, and Mata bargained until 1X days before his contract expired, he finally signed the contract. So do you really think we are really willing to offer a 31 years old player that length of contract? Even Giggs had no this treatment before, don't forget Giggs even offer much more to the team at 37 years old . He just knows he has advantage to bargin for more years or otherwise we lose him for free. He knows our management is shit, renewing Young, Rojo, Jones, Smalling as well.

And no wonder why many fans love him, he really knows how to favour fans, writing the same things every time when we loss, say how much he loved Man Utd, but when he was at Chelsea, he always said exactly the same thing. Signing the new contract because of the club's vision and ambition? It is funny that some fans really trust him.
Of course I am willing to believe anything, our club has been making stupid decisions for a while.

Last edited:

Marcus

He's barely been an asset his entire United career. Why should he all of a sudden become one now?
If he is not deployed as a right winger, but a central attacking midfielder, we would surely see his contribution improve.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Mata apparently took a 25% pay cut, which is noble, but that shows that he was previously on an alledged £180k a week..!! :houllier:

OL29

What a bizarre post

What on earth has Pogba done to be labelled a scumbag?

T_Model101

Mata apparently took a 25% pay cut, which is noble, but that shows that he was previously on an alledged £180k a week..!! :houllier:
From most of the sources I've seen, it looked like he was on £140k basic with the signing on fee and bonuses pushing it up to £180k

He's probably gone down to £100k basic now with bonuses on top

I still think he's a useful player to have around

elnorte

Freaky fly day
If he is not deployed as a right winger, but a central attacking midfielder, we would surely see his contribution improve.
It would surprise me that after all these years and playing under four different managers there would be this sudden revelation that his best position was actually central midfield. It's not like he's ever been much cop in the number ten role either in the time that he's been at United.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Much though I'm happy to praise Mata, I would imagine a pay cut was realistically the trade off for getting a slightly longer contract. If he had just got a 1 year deal I'm sure he wouldn't have taken that pay cut.

finneh

The difference with Giggs (and Scholes/Neville) was that he trusted Fergie innately. He knew that the rolling one year contract was there to suit both parties - Giggs would be allowed to retire whenever he decided it was right for him without feeling that he was letting the club down and Fergie knew that so long as Giggs felt fit and felt he could contribute the contract would be there to be signed.

Nowadays we've lost that trust. If we offered Mata a rolling 1 year contract, there would be little protection for him as the manager could be gone at Xmas. Mata needed the security of knowing next Summer he won't be released at the last minute with no protection.

I can guarantee if Giggs/Scholes/Neville had 3-4 managers in their last 5-6 years at the club... They would all have wanted the security of a longer deal.

PaulRich

I'm Ok with this - solid, dependable 'club man' kind of character around the dressing room wont do any harm at all, kind of balances the immature feckwits out a bit (yes you Jesse) - just don't play him wide ffs Ole.

andeeeeyhart

I'm absolutely fine with this. As a squad option, and with us potentially having a huge number of fixtures next season what with being in the EL, we could do a lot worse than Mata as a back up option. I'm always amazed by the level of vitriol Juan seems to be on the receiving end of from certain sections of our fanbase. Whilst he's obviously past his best, the idea that he contributes nothing and is "finished" is nonsense to me. He still makes a difference when utilised correctly, we saw this in several games last season, and we often get better results with him in the squad than out of it (after the PSG win, the only four games we didn't lose after that point were the four games Mata started).

I often find if Mata has a good game, his contribution is downplayed or even outright ignored or forgotten - as mentioned earlier, he had several good performances last season, but according to a lot on here, he did nothing. Yet when the whole team plays bad, Mata is often unfairly made the scapegoat, whearas certain other worse performing players are excused. People are always quick to mention how he never lived up to his price tag, but then ignore how he's been constantly misused and played out of position by every manager he's played for, yet still manages respectable stats. He never complains, has an exemplary attitude, always looks as if he's trying, yet he's constantly dumped on.

I know people always mention how "loved" Mata is by Utd fans - I actually think he's one of the most underrated, underappreciated players the club has seen in a very long time.