Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

sweetmgd

The difference with Giggs (and Scholes/Neville) was that he trusted Fergie innately. He knew that the rolling one year contract was there to suit both parties - Giggs would be allowed to retire whenever he decided it was right for him without feeling that he was letting the club down and Fergie knew that so long as Giggs felt fit and felt he could contribute the contract would be there to be signed.

Nowadays we've lost that trust. If we offered Mata a rolling 1 year contract, there would be little protection for him as the manager could be gone at Xmas. Mata needed the security of knowing next Summer he won't be released at the last minute with no protection.

I can guarantee if Giggs/Scholes/Neville had 3-4 managers in their last 5-6 years at the club... They would all have wanted the security of a longer deal.
Carrick, Young, Valencia, they are all offered 1 year under Mourinho. I don't know why we break the rule for Mata this time, considering how little he contributed to the team for the last 2 seasons.

And also why Mata afraid to be released? Does it mean he knows no team will sign him even he is free? Then it turns to the first point, why we still keep him even we know he is not Man Utd quality?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Player is getting old: check
Player is underperforming: check
Player is unable to play for 90 minutes: check

Let's renew his contract!

sweetmgd

I'm absolutely fine with this. As a squad option, and with us potentially having a huge number of fixtures next season what with being in the EL, we could do a lot worse than Mata as a back up option. I'm always amazed by the level of vitriol Juan seems to be on the receiving end of from certain sections of our fanbase. Whilst he's obviously past his best, the idea that he contributes nothing and is "finished" is nonsense to me. He still makes a difference when utilised correctly, we saw this in several games last season, and we often get better results with him in the squad than out of it (after the PSG win, the only four games we didn't lose after that point were the four games Mata started).

I often find if Mata has a good game, his contribution is downplayed or even outright ignored or forgotten - as mentioned earlier, he had several good performances last season, but according to a lot on here, he did nothing. Yet when the whole team plays bad, Mata is often unfairly made the scapegoat, whearas certain other worse performing players are excused. People are always quick to mention how he never lived up to his price tag, but then ignore how he's been constantly misused and played out of position by every manager he's played for, yet still manages respectable stats. He never complains, has an exemplary attitude, always looks as if he's trying, yet he's constantly dumped on.

I know people always mention how "loved" Mata is by Utd fans - I actually think he's one of the most underrated, underappreciated players the club has seen in a very long time.
That four game you mentioned, one game he was substituted by Ole at 55 mins, one was substituted at 63 mins, scored one goal vs Chelsea, and 90 mins vs Huddersfield.

If u want to talk about stat, Man Utd played 25 games under Ole, Mata only provided 2 goals and 0 assists (1 vs Reading at January and 1 vs Chelsea at April), 11 games not starting for any mins, 10 games for starting, but within those 10 games, 4 games being substituted before 65 mins. The only good games that he played under Ole was vs Reading, vs Fulham and vs Chelsea first half, so basically he contributed nothing to the team for 22.5 games out of 25.

If everytime he played badly is due to the whole team, then why Man Utd fans always blame Lingard? Lingard scored more goals and same assists than Mata in English Premier League for the last 2 seasons. He is even free in transfer fee (Mata was the record buying at that time) and earn lower salary. Different players, different treatment.

Last edited:

andeeeeyhart

Carrick, Young, Valencia, they are all offered 1 year under Mourinho. I don't know why we break the rule for Mata this time, considering how little he contributed to the team for the last 2 seasons.

And also why Mata afraid to be released? Does it mean he knows no team will sign him even he is free? Then it turns to the first point, why we still keep him even we know he is not Man Utd quality?
Of course he'd be signed on a free! Jeez, what do you think he is, a league 2 level player? Believe it or not, he is still a quality player.

Maybe he just really wanted to stay here? A rarity this days admittedly.

andeeeeyhart

That four game you mentioned, one game he was substituted by Ole at 55 mins, one was substituted at 63 mins, scored one goal vs Chelsea, and 90 mins vs Huddersfield.

If u want to talk about stat, Man Utd played 25 games under Ole, Mata only provided 2 goals and 0 assists (1 vs Reading at January and 1 vs Chelsea at April), 11 games not starting for any mins, 10 games for starting, but within those 10 games, 4 games being substituted before 65 mins. The only good games that he played under Ole was vs Reading, vs Fulham and vs Chelsea first half, so basically he contributed nothing to the team for 22.5 games out of 25.

If everytime he played badly is due to the whole team, then why Man Utd fans always blame Lingard? Lingard scored more goals and same assists than Mata in English Premier League for the last 2 seasons. He is even free in transfer fee (Mata was the record buying at that time) and earn lower salary. Different players, different treatment.
Players being subbed off in the 2nd half doesn't automatically mean they've had a bad game. That's a ridiculous suggestion. Mata almost always gets subbed off - even during games where he's scored and played well. It's just the type of player he is.

Substitutions in the 2nd half only sometimes mean a player has played badly or not affected the game - other times it's just a tactical change. Mata was subbed earlyish during the FA Cup game against Chelsea earlier this year, yet he played well in that game, helping set up the first goal and man-marking Jorghino out of the game. Mata being subbed halfway through the 2nd half was not an indicator that he played bad, especially considering Ole praised his performance after the game. It was merely a response to Chelsea's formation change.

Focusing solely on stats to define how good or not a player is rarely gives you the full picture - an attacking player can be influential in a game without getting a goal or an assist. On Boxing Day against Huddersfield, Mata's impressive through pass in the final third to Herrera led to Herrera's quick tap to Pogba, which led to the goal. Mata undoubtedly played an important part in that goal, yet it was Herrera who got the assist, despite having less to do. An attacker can have a good game with 0 goals and 0 assists.

Sing you a song

What on earth has Pogba done to be labelled a scumbag
What on earth has Pogba done to be labelled a scumbag?
Pogba has only cared about himself downing tools whenever he felt like it no respect for the club or his fellow players .
Makes me laugh that he wants to leave because we havent won prem or champs lge while he been one of the worst culprits and has been a negative influence . Apart from Sanchez he must go down as our worst ever transfer. Sir Alex sussed him 1 st time around .

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Player is getting old: check
Player is underperforming: check
Player is unable to play for 90 minutes: check

Let's renew his contract!
Yep, seems to be the boards answer at the moment.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I have my issues with Pogba but what on earth has he done to warrant being called a scumbag? :confused:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Jesus, I didn't realise he'd been here that long. Five and a half years actually, but still that's incredible. He's been here more than twice as long as he was at Chelsea.
I'm pretty sure 5.5 is less than 2x3 and therefor less than (2x3)+n.

sweetmgd

Players being subbed off in the 2nd half doesn't automatically mean they've had a bad game. That's a ridiculous suggestion. Mata almost always gets subbed off - even during games where he's scored and played well. It's just the type of player he is.

Substitutions in the 2nd half only sometimes mean a player has played badly or not affected the game - other times it's just a tactical change. Mata was subbed earlyish during the FA Cup game against Chelsea earlier this year, yet he played well in that game, helping set up the first goal and man-marking Jorghino out of the game. Mata being subbed halfway through the 2nd half was not an indicator that he played bad, especially considering Ole praised his performance after the game. It was merely a response to Chelsea's formation change.

Focusing solely on stats to define how good or not a player is rarely gives you the full picture - an attacking player can be influential in a game without getting a goal or an assist. On Boxing Day against Huddersfield, Mata's impressive through pass in the final third to Herrera led to Herrera's quick tap to Pogba, which led to the goal. Mata undoubtedly played an important part in that goal, yet it was Herrera who got the assist, despite having less to do. An attacker can have a good game with 0 goals and 0 assists.
Then I have nothing to say.

I gave you his whole performance under Ole, told you many games he was subtituted with no performance, you took one Chelsea game and explained to me it is ridiculous to say early subtitution means bad performance. Well done.

Talking about the statistic, you explain attackers even with no goal and assist doesn't mean having a bad game. Come on, now i am talking about 2X games, not one or two particular games. The reason that i talk about statistic is because when i say he performed badly most of the team in the past 2 seasons, you don't believe it, and gave me the only few good games as example.

Talking about why Mata always contributed little in a game, you explain many are due to the whole team.

So your Conclusion : Mata has no his own problem. The only problem is that four managers don't know how to use him, and the teammates can not help him.

I have never seen a senior player can have that much excuses, especially we are talking about Man Utd standard. No wonder why we are out of Champion League 3 times in 6 years after SAF retired.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I have my issues with Pogba but what on earth has he done to warrant being called a scumbag? :confused:
It's weird to me, I find the pure hatred for our players, even the underperforming ones, very toxic. It's ok to dislike a player and to hope to see him gone but insulting over and over again isn't what "fans" should do.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This club struggles to sell players which in turn makes it difficult to sign new players. Hence why we keep giving contracts to player who are clearly not good enough. That's no different to the Gill's administration were players were kept past the wrong side of their 30s and we even had a player coming out of retirement at one point.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Assuming he didn't get a raise - 150-160k per week. 24m pounds deal for 3 seasons.
Which isn’t too bad though. I reckon losing him for free is worse. At least he can be a decent backup or in squad rotation, his valuable experience may help the team on some occasion, and he is good character we may need that in dressing room. Just looking at the bright side, you know.

Enigma_87

You know who
Which isn’t too bad though. I reckon losing him for free is worse. At least he can be a decent backup or in squad rotation, his valuable experience may help the team on some occasion, and he is good character we may need that in dressing room. Just looking at the bright side, you know.
Yeah, I like Mata but 2-3 years at this stage that we shouldn't give 30+ rotational players. Would've been ok with 1 mind. We already had that in place - to give only one year contracts - if they don't want to sign fair enough, just like Herrera did.

Sing you a song

Grow up a little
Maybe scumbag is not the right phrase but let’s face it he doesn’t care about the club only about himself and his few good performances have been far outweighed by his many poor performances and lack of effort .
I was over the moon when we signed the guy and have never been so disappointed. In my view he is a disruptive element in the dressing room and the sooner he goes the better

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Maybe scumbag is not the right phrase but let’s face it he doesn’t care about the club only about himself and his few good performances have been far outweighed by his many poor performances and lack of effort .
I was over the moon when we signed the guy and have never been so disappointed. In my view he is a disruptive element in the dressing room and the sooner he goes the better
There is no "maybe", it's just not right. However I can understand the rest of your view. If we sell him, I hope it'll be a huge fee which will help us get a few players in.

AllezLesDiables

Actually losing him for free would have the best thing that could have happened. Now he’s a depreciating assets who is taking resources that should be used for an appreciating asset. He’s an upside down mortgage so to speak.

Devil may care

He offered very little last season and I don't see why we've given him a 2 year deal, but I just hope when Ole uses him it's at the tip of the diamond and not from the RW of a front 3.

Flying high

He offered very little last season and I don't see why we've given him a 2 year deal, but I just hope when Ole uses him it's at the tip of the diamond and not from the RW of a front 3.
That is his best position. But he's ineffective at pressing from that position when our forwards split out wide. So it still means we have a weak link right where our pressing game needs to be initiated.

Sanchez7

We really shouldn't have renewed his contract. He is far too slow to play right wing or SS and has never really had playmaking ability.

Roboc7

Big issue with giving him a new contract is he will play a lot. Doesn’t matter whether he plays out wide or centrally he simply isn’t good enough and he can’t press, be fine if he was a backup but he’ll probably start season as regular starter.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He can contribute plenty in the next two years. That shouldn't be as a starter though.

FerociousCorgis

so we are selling lukaku because he doesnt fit our style.....yet mata doesnt either. It is like Ole can't commit to being ruthless with all of those who dont fit his system. No reason to play mata in the middle, or out wide. Waste of a spot and can't wait til gomes leaves because we are playing dross like mata.

DoomSlayer

Unfortunately he is totally useless both in terms of pressing and in providing playmaking ability against teams that pressure him hard when on the ball.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's playing on the right still. As a #10 he's the best we've got but we continue to shoehorn players into that position effectively making our attack worse on purpose.

Then again we have no one on the right either.

Based Adnan

Completely devoid of any creativity. Is our main number 10 when our intention is to press from the front. Such a dumb decision renewing his contract.

AFC NimbleThumb

The technique of the man is unreal but he isn’t what we need given how we want to play; hopefully he was signed with a Marouane end in mind.