Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Painfully slow. Cannot seem to sprint at all. Just jogs around the pitch in slow motion.

Think his time is up. Simply cannot start on Sunday against Chelsea.

settembrini

He's playing on the right still. As a #10 he's the best we've got but we continue to shoehorn players into that position effectively making our attack worse on purpose.
He's played as a #10 every game in pre-season except one and looked just as bad as always. Moves at a snail's pace, no goal threat, no defensive contribution and creates little. Lingard has been better than him and in the tiny amount of time we let Gomes and Pereira play that role they both offered more as well.

His new contract is a mistake only slightly less dumb than the new one for Jones.

El Jefe

Becoming more and more convinced we gave him that contract as an additional motivator for DDG to stay. I honestly cannot see how anyone on our coaching staff can't tell he's completely past it and totally unsuited to our new style of play.

We have no problem offloading Fellaini or Lukaku because they don't suit our style. If Herrera stayed we would have let Mata go IMO.

He will affect us in every game he plays in the PL this season especially away from home.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Voiced strong doubt before. But water under the bridge, etc.

Enjoy the journey, folks.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Didn't think he was as bad as people claimed today.

Dante

Average bang
He's great. And good enough to add to an already working formula. But not too be the starting formula.

Hawks2008

If Dybala is coming what was the point of re-signing him? We hand out too many contracts to players who don't have anything offer other than how 'grateful' to be here they are.

RyRy11

If Dybala is coming what was the point of re-signing him? We hand out too many contracts to players who don't have anything offer other than how 'grateful' to be here they are.
We didn't know Dybala would become available, no one did until a week ago. There are 4 positions that are more crucial to add new players to and I'm guessing the thinking was to save having to splash an extra £80m on a extra signing. I'm not disputing the fact that we should have let him go on a free mind, just saying I kind of see some sort of reasoning.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We didn't know Dybala would become available, no one did until a week ago. There are 4 positions that are more crucial to add new players to and I'm guessing the thinking was to save having to splash an extra £80m on a extra signing. I'm not disputing the fact that we should have let him go on a free mind, just saying I kind of see some sort of reasoning.
You think there is a good sort of reason to give an old player who only scored 3 league goals & 2 assists a new contract?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Didn't mention anywhere it was a "good" reason.
Anything with some sense it’s I call it good reason.

If we are going to give someone a new contract, it’s better be for good reason not for non-sense reason. Clearly, there is no need of offering him a new contract.

RyRy11

Anything with some sense it’s I call it good reason.

If we are going to give someone a new contract, it’s better be for good reason not for non-sense reason. Clearly, there is no need of offering him a new contract.
Replacing him with a quality first team player would cost a lot of money, money that could be spent in other more crucial areas right now hence why there's some sense. In an ideal world we'd just go and buy every player we wanted but FFP and the Glazers wont allow it. I'm not trying to argue with you, I even said that I didn't want him extended... I didn't want Jones extended either, just merely saying it wasn't an insanely ridiculous decision at the time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Replacing him with a quality first team player would cost a lot of money, money that could be spent in other more crucial areas right now hence why there's some sense. In an ideal world we'd just go and buy every player we wanted but FFP and the Glazers wont allow it. I'm not trying to argue with you, I even said that I didn't want him extended... I didn't want Jones extended either, just merely saying it wasn't an insanely ridiculous decision at the time.
That’s totally BS from what you think. Even if we can’t get a replacement, we can still get one next summer so there is no sort of sense reason to give him 2 years plus option for a year extension contract.

Selling Lukaku should have been part of the club’s plan fact that he didn’t even play in pre season meaning we will have the money to buy first team attacking mid to replace Mata.

And talking about giving youth chance we also have Gomes who deserves game time over a player who only produced 3 league goals & 2 assists.

FFP is useless because our revenue is massive. Even if we spent 300m without selling Pogba or Lukaku we will still get pass the FFP.

GeordieRed

Becoming more and more convinced we gave him that contract as an additional motivator for DDG to stay.
That’s my belief too.

Nice bloke, good ambassador for the club, positive influence for the younger players, admirable charity work - but absolutely shouldn’t be anywhere near a starting line-up.

Keep him around to keep Dave happy and then transition to a coaching role in a few years time.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's played as a #10 every game in pre-season except one and looked just as bad as always. Moves at a snail's pace, no goal threat, no defensive contribution and creates little. Lingard has been better than him and in the tiny amount of time we let Gomes and Pereira play that role they both offered more as well.

His new contract is a mistake only slightly less dumb than the new one for Jones.
That's just plain wrong. He's been fine in the pre-season in the 45 minutes outings, created a chance every time he plays. Lingard was a contender for our worst player last season, he offered us so little. Neither should be starting, especially on the right but if we're playing with someone as a #10 at all I prefer Mata to Lingard.

settembrini

That's just plain wrong. He's been fine in the pre-season in the 45 minutes outings, created a chance every time he plays. Lingard was a contender for our worst player last season, he offered us so little. Neither should be starting, especially on the right but if we're playing with someone as a #10 at all I prefer Mata to Lingard.
I was going to argue with you about the merits of Lingard vs Mata but really who can be bothered. I agree with you that neither should be starting and they are both completely useless on the right and that's enough common ground.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I was going to argue with you about the merits of Lingard vs Mata but really who can be bothered. I agree with you that neither should be starting and they are both completely useless on the right and that's enough common ground.
Agree with you there, not much point. It's basically just feel and some slight statistics in favor of one or the other. Could be highly relevant how the young players feel about Mata. We've had many players through the years stick in the squad well past their peak for those reasons more than anything and Mata is at least not over the hill as a footballer yet.

Waynne

His game time should go to Pereira - we shouldn't be renewing his deal. What is wrong with this club?
IMO, and i may be wrong here but i think Mata's extension is 2 fold.
1. He provides experience to our younger core in that area of the pitch. I wouldn't trust Pereira to have an impact in a crunch match against the top sides.
2. He has a genuine love for the club so he could be looked at as an ambassador and/or mentor. Perhaps a learning platform for Gomes and others.
He brings skill, experience and passion for the badge. We could use alot more of that in this current United side.

Reactions: Penna

Based Adnan

Unfortunately this was another of those extensions for someone who is good in the dressing room guys, not for if he can play football.
If that was the case then he wouldn't be starting every league game. It's clear that the coaching staff somehow looked at Mata and thought yeah he'll play an important role for us this season on the pitch. Complete incompetence.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Unfortunately this was another of those extensions for someone who is good in the dressing room guys, not for if he can play football.
We've seen over the years that this type of experience, this type of contribution in the dressing room is pointless for the most important thing, the actual football. I was lost for words when they announced the first rumors and still cannot believe we actually did extend him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We've seen over the years that this type of experience, this type of contribution in the dressing room is pointless for the most important thing, the actual football. I was lost for words when they announced the first rumors and still cannot believe we actually did extend him.
It is an easy signing, the club is lazy. Doubt there were any real takers for him, just his dad putting rumours out there. If this were City, they would have just said, 'Go on then'.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I was also lost for words. I'm usually very positive about United, a true optimist. But when you sit back and watch terrible decisions being made in front of you and can't do anything about it you get a bit fed up. This season for me has been a write off, and if I'm realistic the next 2-3 years is included too because you can't really hope to see us making better decisions anytime soon. Ed has put us in this mess through the last 5 windows. We needed to get rid of too many players at once and that is Ed's fault, but we should have done it really and fired Ed for not doing it earlier.

Mata has been finished a while. He came here a saviour, then flopped and he has just kind of stuck around because he is likeable. That is what happened. I've nothing against him, but he has never been good enough as a player for this club. To sign him on even further when his legs is gone is just the weirdest thing ever. We should have bought like 10 players this window and gotten rid of Mata, Rojo, Jones, Young, Matic, Pereira, Lukaku, Sanchez, Bailly etc. Ed is just procrastinating the inevitable.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt