Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

Reddy Rederson

Waste of a squad place at this point, unfortunately I suspected the "misunderstood genius" crowd were completely wrong as usual and no decent team would want him even for free.

Shame you don't own a football club, we could sign Mata on a free and sell him to you for £15m.
cool

0le

I thought we refused to offer Fellaini a long term deal, despite the fact that Mourinho was desperate to keep him? So why would we offer Mata a long term deal?

ArjenIsM3

He's not one of the starting players. Why not just give his minutes to Gomes? What harm would that do?
It could put too much pressure on Gomes in case of injury and there is no guarantee Gomes would perform. Butt has been very clear about having patience with youngsters and not throwing them in at the deep end. We would also lose a model professional and stable factor in the dressing room in a time where stability isn't something you'd associate with the club. I'd rather our youngsters have Mata as an example instead of Lingard. 3 years is madness though. 1+1 is fine, 2+1 maybe, but definitely not 3. Hope it's not true.

Edit: just read the AS article which clearly states it's a 1 year extension.

TRUERED89

Some have said a 1 year deal was never on the table? How? Why? I've a lot of respect for Mata but this is ridiculous (3 years), unless its a ploy to sell him for more money, but knowing Woody there's not a chance in hell, he's outdoing himself every transfer window..

However, if it is just 1 year then that's not an issue for me. Although the summer window has been awful so far.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Some have said a 1 year deal was never on the table? How? Why? I've a lot of respect for Mata but this is ridiculous (3 years), unless its a ploy to sell him for more money, but knowing Woody there's not a chance in hell, he's outdoing himself every transfer window..
It’s a pointless offer as he will never accept a 1 year deal. You only bring things to the table that might be accepted.

TRUERED89

It’s a pointless offer as he will never accept a 1 year deal. You only bring things to the table that might be accepted.
If he doesn't want to accept 1 year then you say goodbye, he should be the one trying to convince the club to let him stay not the other way round! Baffling. Giggs was signing 1 year extensions every season, why is Mata so different.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We've given out some really weird contract extensions over the last few years, this year has been a particularly weird one. Young and Mata should both have had their contracts run down and then be shown the door. Giving Rojo got a contract extension is honestly one of the most bizzare things we've ever done, he's not even 5th choice. Hate to keep banging on the same drum here but why not just give Gomes the game time that Mata would be getting? We keep talking like we're planning on keeping up United's traditions of trusting the youth only to re-sign players who'll be directly competing with them, mind boggling.

Patrick08

3 year extension? Are we assembling a team of dead woods? Is woodward secretly working on rival agenda. How more idiotic can you be? Or like everytime just shift the blame on the managers alone?

Seriously what's the clubs vision?

El Jefe

I honestly think he has nothing whatsoever to offer this club. The minutes he takes could be used on Chong, Gomes or Greenwood for a fraction of his wages and probably more productivity.

KristianMackle

Nice lad, cracking player on his day, but he's done. We need to start clearing the books.

Canagel

For what? Why? Ole Solskjaer has supposedly envisaged a fast paced attacking style how is deadwoods like Mata still being retained. Joke of a club.

EireRed_GS

as much as i like Mata i thought this was the right for him to move on..

But at same time im not 100% against this, we are going to have some extra games to play this year and an experienced lad (& one of our better dressing room influences) wouldnt be too bad to have around. He's nowhere near as bad as some people as suggesting by the way.

I think Mata last season was just falling into that 'deadwood' category at united, but i knew we couldnt get rid of them all straight away, and if any of them i could choose to lose last, it would have been him.. plus he knows his playing time will be much more limited this time, so he must be happy with that.

im not buying that its a 3 year deal though.. 1 year would make sense..

Decomposing In Paris

I know most here won't agree, but I really don't believe renewing Juan Mata's contract is indicative of any negative direction the club is headed in. He's an excellent professional, with wonderful technique, who is happy to stay and help create a positive culture within the club as we move forward. Gomez will get game time, and there are few better mentors. Mata offers something our other players don't, and is still capable of having an impact, particularly from the bench. Yes many of us would prefer a shiny new toy, but I think there are some big arrivals and departures to come this summer.

We really need two teams going into this season, because we won't be able to let off the gas in the league, but we have very little chance of actually winning it. We could win the Europa League though, but to do so we need a strong squad with a blend of legs and experience.

Team 1:

De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Diop, Shaw, Ndombele, McTominay, Pogba, Lingard, Rashford, Martial

Team 2:

Romero, Dalot, Bailly, Smalling, Young, Matic, Fred, Mata, James, Sanchez, Greenwood

Dinghy

For what? Why? Ole Solskjaer has supposedly envisaged a fast paced attacking style how is deadwoods like Mata still being retained. Joke of a club.
Having Mata around will help make James look even faster.

Last edited:

wolvored

I think it's an indication of how the other transfers are going. We are in the second half of June with only 1 transfer in of a prospect that may or may not work. I feel less and less confident every day that passes and we haven't strengthened. I can see pre season starting without the required transfers in that ole stated he wanted.

redmanc

A young team needs some experience both in the startling lineup and also in the squad, makes sense for all parties really, especially as he's such a nice likeable guy and does a lot for the club and charities.

Allas8

Good to see our second hardest working player staying for another year. Mata and Lingard are the sort of players we need more of, not less, atleast if we are going to get back at a high tempo, high pressure game plan.

wolvored

I know most here won't agree, but I really don't believe renewing Juan Mata's contract is indicative of any negative direction the club is headed in. He's an excellent professional, with wonderful technique, who is happy to stay and help create a positive culture within the club as we move forward. Gomez will get game time, and there are few better mentors. Mata offers something our other players don't, and is still capable of having an impact, particularly from the bench. Yes many of us would prefer a shiny new toy, but I think there are some big arrivals and departures to come this summer.

We really need two teams going into this season, because we won't be able to let off the gas in the league, but we have very little chance of actually winning it. We could win the Europa League though, but to do so we need a strong squad with a blend of legs and experience.

Team 1:

De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Diop, Shaw, Ndombele, McTominay, Pogba, Lingard, Rashford, Martial

Team 2:

Romero, Dalot, Bailly, Smalling, Young, Matic, Fred, Mata, James, Sanchez, Greenwood
Team 1 attack will result in about 40-50 goals a season. It would be terrible to go into a match with those 3 playing together

tomaldinho1

This is one of those pieces of news that's actually really irrelevant for us as a club, it's just intensified because of what has been going on elsewhere with transfers.

Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku are pressing issues, particularly now the latter two are openly speaking out about leaving. They should be dealt with as quickly as possible.

Players like Mata, who will always make up the numbers and have the occasional good game really shouldn't generate this much debate. He's getting on, isn't someone we can rely on and personally think he should be moved on swiftly (mainly because he's just shopping for other offers and has had our offer for ages) but Mata is not an important decision this summer for us.

EireRed_GS

Another thing i mentioned to my mate when this came out earlier, was with this mata deal & the rumoured Lingard contract deal, the club may well have these lads signed, but doing the smart thing and not announcing these until they have other good news (new signings) to announce before that. Because the fanbase will lose their shit if we announce we are re-signing players that probably should be surplus to requirements, before announcing the main issues, that is strengthening our weak areas and getting rid of the jokers letting us down.

If theyre having trouble bringing people in behind the scenes, and start announcing what we dont want to hear, things could get toxic pretty quick.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It won't be popular here but it does
make sense to me.

Fellaini, Herrera, Valencia have all left the club, Pogba & Lukaku have asked to leave, De Gea may also go, we probably want to sell and replace the likes of Sanchez, Rojo, Bailly, Darmian, etc. That's already far more transfer work than the club can handle in a season, probably even two.

So why voluntarily add Mata to that list as well? You're not going to get money for selling him. If you want to spend money replacing him this summer that realistically means not replacing a player in another position, at a time when half our squad could arguably be replaced. You could just sell him and replace him with a youth player but then you haven't actually strengthened the team at all as you could play that youth player anyway if you wanted to. Aside from anything else, we actually need bodies in attack.

Really this renewal is less about Mata the player and more about the current state of the squad. There is already too much change afoot for deliberately losing Mata too to be pragmatic. The one thing we don't lack at the moment is players to replace.

JMack1234

I'm not nearly as annoyed about this as most on here.

We're not blessed with experienced players and good characters and Mata is with of both of these.

The legs aren't what they were but he'll be very handy in the Europa league and deputising for other players around the midfield and the attack.

Kearnkoff69

You've got a long season coming up, potentially 60+ games. Mata will be a help.
I agree. A short renewal makes sense to me for a litany of reasons. People will find any reason to be outraged these days.

Renegade

Team 1:

Team 2:

Team 1 has us between 6th-10th. Depressing line up.

Castia

3 year contract.....who’s looked at Mata and thought he’s good for another 3 fecking years let’s tie him down

You can’t make it up I’m half expecting to see Woody in a Liverpool top next.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What a ringing endorsement
Welcome to reality. If you have a squad full of dross you have to prioritise which dross you immediately replace and which dross you pragmatically keep.

There's no question that we'd ideally replace Mata but ideally we wouldn't also have the guts of a dozen other players we need to replace too.

buckooo1978

personally I'm happy to give Mata a three season extension

Autumn, Winter and Spring