Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

el3mel

They are. They're not all the deadwood though. Sanchez, Darmian, Bailly and Rojo could all still go.

Given Herrera, Fellaini and Valencia have already gone and Pogba, De Gea and Lukaku could go too we're potentially seeing a rapid turnover of players as is. Between all those potential sales we're already likely to see as many outgoing as the club could reasonably cope with.
The only one of those linked to leaving is Darmian and he may end up staying if no one pays the price for him. Sanchez, Bailly and Rojo, I haven't seen anything lining them to leaving any soon. Who is going to pay Sanchez salary? And Rojo doesn't look interested in taking a paycut.

Also losing good players as Herrera isn't called "casting off".

City got rid of their entire fullback set to buy new 3 fullbacks to solve the problem. If it were for people here they would have kept Zabaleta and Kolarov for "squad depth". That's the difference.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole probably sees a bit of himself in Mata. He’s a low maintenance footballer who represents the club very well. His best days are past him but he’s no mug and if we need a goal off the bench he’s as good for that as anyone.

There has to be a mixture and I can’t think of a better role model for the influx of young players supposedly coming in. A logical decision and a good one.
Nah Ole was useful to have around.

Dumbat12

Yet.

Also, can we move on from this ridiculous ‘deadwood’ cliche. It’s become the latest buzzword everyone is using. It’s incredibly disrespectful to human beings who don’t quite meet your exacting standards.
BOO HOO, look at these poor footballers getting millions per week to kick a ball while getting called out on the internet for their shit job at it. What a miserable existence... I fecking hate how spineless some of you people are.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The only one of those linked to leaving is Darmian and he may end up staying if no one pays the price for him. Sanchez, Bailly and Rojo, I haven't seen anything lining them to leaving any soon. Who is going to pay Sanchez salary? And Rojo doesn't look interested in taking a paycut.

Also losing good players as Herrera isn't called "casting off".

City got rid of their entire fullback set to buy new 3 fullbacks to solve the problem. If it were for people here they would have kept Zabaleta and Kolarov for "squad depth". That's the difference.
We'll see who we end up selling before the end of the summer. That's still a long way away though. It's fine to be critical of us not buying early but sales can happen whenever.

Regarding the bold, Herrera was indeed a good player but replacing him still eats into our limited time and budget, which makes it less easy to replace someone else in the same summer.

R'hllor

The ones who didn't worship Mourinho perhaps.

I think Mata could have been replaced but with Herrera going, this isn't a bad decision. As others have mentioned the question is how prominent he'll be. As a squad player Mata is a solid option. If he takes game time from the younger players that's an issue.
Woot!?

For me personally this whole Mata thing has more nothing to do with Mata, his name could be George, Jack, its the whole philosophy behind it, Jones, Young etc. Like i said already, doubt anybody dislikes Mata here, its not all about him.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You can’t for a second doubt his effort, don’t give me that.

He doesn’t fit in with the system, and I suspect he still won’t, but there are other players who need to be moved on more urgently.
Who the feck cares about effort if there's no output? It's so frustrating to see that putting in effort is good enough to book a place at United. Buy a fecker from championship and he will put equal or more effort with dogshite output.

His contract was up. There needs to be a starting point where we start moving out underperforming high earners and average players. Instead we hand out contract extensions.

el3mel

We'll see who we end up selling before the end of the summer. That's still a long way away though. It's fine to be critical of us not buying early but sales can happen whenever.

Regarding the bold, Herrera was indeed a good player but replacing him still eats into our limited time and budget, which makes it less easy to replace someone else in the same summer.
We have extended Mata's contract, bought Daniel James and have Lingard, all are gonna play on the right so I'm not sure we are going to get a 4th player to play on the right flank. Extending Mata's contract may very well affect our offensive reincofcement. He should have been let go and replaced with another right winger, but now we will mostly be stuck with this.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's been rubbish for two years and gets rewarded with a new deal. Another laughable decision by the club and all of Solskjaer's talk about being ruthless has been well and truly exposed as a load of hot air.
The extension for Mata just makes me believe that's one fewer new signings coming in, either a CM or RW because Mata "can do a job" there...
How much positivity remains if it comes to light that we've not pursued a player such as Lozano, Pepe, or Fernandez because of this decision?

sp_107

There goes Gomes and Chong's minutes!
Lets be honest, Gomes or Chong will never make it here you know. By their age players like Rooney, Ronaldo really excelled and we knew they would become good but same cant be said about these 2. I dont want to be negative as I really like to see our academy products become world class. I have more hopes on Greenwood and Levitt.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We have extended Mata's contract, bought Daniel James and have Lingard, all are gonna play on the right so I'm not sure we are going to get a 4th player to play on the right flank. Extending Mata's contract may very well affect our offensive reincofcement. He should have been let go and replaced with another right winger, but now we will mostly be stuck with this.
I agree we probably aren't going to sign another RW this summer..

However there are still a power of other positions to strengthen instead. RB, CB, probably more than one midfielder and a CF if Lukaku goes too. Along with James that's as much buying as we were ever likely to be capable of doing in one summer. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if we weren't even capable of that given we've failed to make four targeted signings in each of the last two summers.

If you want to make Mata one of the players we replace this summer instead, that's fine. But it means another crap player in a different position doesn't get replaced. We have to keep some crap players, it's a matter of who is the least worse for the time being.

el3mel

I agree we probably aren't going to sign another RW this summer..

However there are still a power of other positions to strengthen instead. RB, CB, probably more than one midfielder and a CF if Lukaku goes too. Along with James that's as much buying as we were ever likely to be capable of doing in one summer. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if we weren't even capable of that given we've failed to make four targeted signings in each of the last two summers.

If you want to make Mata one of the players we replace this summer instead, that's fine. But it means another crap player in a different position doesn't get replaced. We have to keep some crap players, it's a matter of who is the least worse for the time being.
RW and RB are the most urging of our transfers due to how clueless and uni dimensional we always appear in the attack thanks to that. Just getting Daniel James isn't enough to make it great considering how terrible Mata and Lingard were doing so this extension can end up being bad business rather than having "squad depth". We needed at least 2 more attacking signings with James otherwise it will be more of the same next season, but now with Mata staying I will be surprised by anything more than a replacement for Lukaku if he leaves, os next season will be more of the same when it comes to attack.

Extending Mata's contract would have been a decent business we have already bought a top right winger that's going to seal the right flank for us next, not a kid from Swansea.

SteveW

Lets be honest, Gomes or Chong will never make it here you know. By their age players like Rooney, Ronaldo really excelled and we knew they would become good but same cant be said about these 2. I dont want to be negative as I really like to see our academy products become world class. I have more hopes on Greenwood and Levitt.
Greenwood is a certainty. Gomes will make it if given a chance.

Chong and Levitt are unlikely to make it here imo.

Gopher Brown

BOO HOO, look at these poor footballers getting millions per week to kick a ball while getting called out on the internet for their shit job at it. What a miserable existence... I fecking hate how spineless some of you people are.
Yes, because money can eradicate all humanity.

Lazy people like you always go for the money argument - “They get paid millions of pounds, I am entitled to shout whatever disgusting things I want at them.”

Gopher Brown

Who the feck cares about effort if there's no output? It's so frustrating to see that putting in effort is good enough to book a place at United. Buy a fecker from championship and he will put equal or more effort with dogshite output.

His contract was up. There needs to be a starting point where we start moving out underperforming high earners and average players. Instead we hand out contract extensions.
If you think Mata is the problem you’re delusional

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Greenwood is a certainty. Gomes will make it if given a chance.

Chong and Levitt are unlikely to make it here imo.
Nobody is a certainty. Go back and read threads from a few years ago and they make for strange reading in hindsight. In 2014 people thought Januzaj and Wilson would be our new Ronaldo and Rooney. Greenwood has a chance, as does Gomes, although his window is more narrow in my opinion. I agree with you on Chong, I have honestly never been impressed with him.

As for Mata resigning, whatever, it's expected really. We are known for offering lucrative contracts to average ageing players. Where would have he gone where he could have earned that wage? Nowhere, the clubs looking at him were Valencia and Newcastle. We are levels below the likes of City, Liverpool and Barcelona, and unlike Real Madrid, we won't right our wrongs in one window. Hell, we still haven't replaced Ronaldo ten years on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
RW and RB are the most urging of our transfers due to how clueless and uni dimensional we always appear in the attack thanks to that. Just getting Daniel James isn't enough to make it great considering how terrible Mata and Lingard were doing so this extension can end up being bad business rather than having "squad depth". We needed at least 2 more attacking signings with James otherwise it will be more of the same next season, but now with Mata staying I will be surprised by anything more than a replacement for Lukaku if he leaves, os next season will be more of the same when it comes to attack.

Extending Mata's contract would have been a decent business we have already bought a top right winger that's going to seal the right flank for us next, not a kid from Swansea.
Agree, I would have prioritized RW too. My only thought is that our main target (Sancho) isn't available this summer but maybe there's some other reason.

Tbh I think it was always going to be largely more of the same next season anyway. I don't think Ole was kidding when he said rebuilding would take years. We're in a hole. All we can do is start digging up.

So yeah, roll on next season.

SteveW

Nobody is a certainty. Go back and read threads from a few years ago and they make for strange reading in hindsight. In 2014 people thought Januzaj and Wilson would be our new Ronaldo and Rooney. Greenwood has a chance, as does Gomes, although his window is more narrow in my opinion. I agree with you on Chong, I have honestly never been impressed with him.

As for Mata resigning, whatever, it's expected really. We are known for offering lucrative contracts to average ageing players. Where would have he gone where he could have earned that wage? Nowhere, the clubs looking at him were Valencia and Newcastle. We are levels below the likes of City, Liverpool and Barcelona, and unlike Real Madrid, we won't right our wrongs in one window. Hell, we still haven't replaced Ronaldo ten years on.
Nah, he's a certainty as far as I'm concerned. I've probably only said that about 3-4 players in 20 years watching the youth teams. He's a superb footballer.

Vissy

Gomes' minutes are not going to be hogged up by Mata anyway. It's better to ease youngsters into the squad slowly, rather than just throw them in there. I could see this next year being a similar season for him as this last season was for Phil Foden, except still way more minutes.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nah, he's a certainty as far as I'm concerned. I've probably only said that about 3-4 players in 20 years watching the youth teams. He's a superb footballer.
Fergie said Ravel Morrison was the best player to come through our academy since Paul Scholes. I hope you're right, but for me nobody can ever be called an absolute certainty when they've only played at youth level.

Dumbat12

Lazy people like you always go for the money argument - “They get paid millions of pounds, I am entitled to shout whatever disgusting things I want at them.”
What the hell are you even talking about? You're getting needlessly angry because people are calling these people deadwood, and quite rightfully so. Why? Should we praise them for being shit? Should we praise them for making millions per week all the while doing nothing to deserve it? It's not even like their profession is hard. All they have to do is kick ball and train. It's so ridiculous these days. Why is everyone so supersensitive and thin-skinned?

Okey

Sigh. I suppose Mata's contract confirms United aren't going anywere fast...literally!

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
*Michael jackson eating popcorn gif*

Loving all this drama. Keep it going guys!

Piyush

I don't see any problem with extension for Mata. He has been a model professional. Rather the young guys take example from him than Likely who keeps on talking about other managers.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yet.

Also, can we move on from this ridiculous ‘deadwood’ cliche. It’s become the latest buzzword everyone is using. It’s incredibly disrespectful to human beings who don’t quite meet your exacting standards.
Firstly, they are Manchester United standards not the poster's. And yeah let's be sympathetic and emotional because that's how one runs a fecking club. Fans like you actually deserve mediocrity because of this overwhelming support of it.

If you think Mata is the problem you’re delusional
Where exactly in my post did i say that he is a problem? The ones who should have been moved before him(I would move 4-5 players out before Mata) were handed fat contracts. All I'm saying that he is supposedly on huge wages and considering his output in recent years, he should have been moved on BECAUSE his contract was up. No big club made any approach to sign him on a free.
If you think keeping hold of mediocre players is the right thing to do then I can only recommend you to keep your head buried in sand and enjoy another shite season.

Funny thing is you will be among the first ones to complain in the performances thread but when there's time to be ruthless for once, you talk about humanity, effort, courage, nice bloke etc.

fallengt

"Dead wood" is disgusting now?
Football is a sport, sport in general is a form of entertainment. I'm their target audience and I'm allowed to criticize them. It's not entitled

Your logic is like saying when you go to restaurant, you can't criticize the chef's dishes that he serves you because he worked hard.
Yea feck that.

Last edited:

Jeffthered

Are people honestly expecting the club to cast off about 6,7 players in one go? This isn’t a computer game ffs.

Makes sense to keep Mata around. Adds depth to the squad and he is not the type to throw a fuss if he’s not a regular starter.

However this does not mean we should not look for reinforcements. Everyone should be concerned if we don’t get at least 2-3 players in, not get their knickers in a twist over this extension.
The problems are a: He is pretty shi*e. b: We DO NOT need him. c: It sends a terrible message about the ambition of the club.

We have a manager who has come in, and this is his signal for the future of the team under his management?

SteveW

Fergie said Ravel Morrison was the best player to come through our academy since Paul Scholes. I hope you're right, but for me nobody can ever be called an absolute certainty when they've only played at youth level.
Of course they can. You think Everton though Rooney mightn't make it before they gave him his debut? Sometimes it's just obvious. To me Greenwod is one of those. Lets wait and see if I'm right

C'est Moi Cantona

I wish they hadn't brought Mata down this level of trying to take fans for mugs, 'the vision they have for the club is truly exciting' , it's so transparent it's embarrassing for him.

Poor Mata, but I'd have buried this news when things were more positive.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I wish they hadn't brought Mata down this level of trying to take fans for mugs, 'the vision they have for the club is truly exciting' , it's so transparent it's embarrassing for him.

Poor Mata, but I'd have buried this news when things were more positive.
His blog is basically Manchester version of Baghdad Bob.

Gopher Brown

"Dead wood" is disgusting now?
Football is a sport, sport in general is a form of entertainment. I'm their target audience and I'm allowed to criticize them. It's not entitled

Your logic is like saying when you go to restaurant, you can't criticize the chef's dishes that he serves you because he worked hard.
Yea feck that.
I’m saying there’s a lazy generalisation on this forum to call any player who doesn’t fit ‘deadwood,’ when actually, Ashley Young and Darmian aside, most could be useful.

You’re allowed to criticise, of course, but the whole idea that you can do whatever you like to people because they get paid is ridiculous. I remember sitting next to United fans who booed Fellaini coming on. It wasn’t his fault he wasn’t good enough. He scored the winner in that game too.

But anyway, Juan Mata, new contract, blah blah blah, he’s shit.

Hughie77

I'm not dissapinted he's still at OT, I love him as a player, he will give us more experience, if oles gets more young guns in, he should help those lads out, and I think that's why he's been given a new deal.

He's still here we have to back him