Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Will be a great ambassador for the club with his whole 1% cause and on top that is good footballer when played in the no 10 role. Who really cares if we get the players in, on top of him getting a contract? I'd only go mental if we didn't sign anyone either.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Yes, because money can eradicate all humanity.

Lazy people like you always go for the money argument - “They get paid millions of pounds, I am entitled to shout whatever disgusting things I want at them.”
Except posting criticism about a player on a football forum isn't the same as shouting disgusting things at them.

If you see Mata on the street with his family and start yelling at him for being useless and deadwood, then I would agree at that being totally wrong. But posting moderate criticism about him on a United forum that he'll never read? Don't see much issue with that

cfkane

Mata is a model player. A good man, most likely a good presence in the dressing room and someone who can help the youngsters. Is he being paid more than he is worth? maybe, but if Woody is to be believed, we have enough money to afford anyone, so I am never concerned about wages/player cost because it isn't my money. He will be fine as a squad player for another season, or perhaps sold in January or used in a swap deal if we target someone in that window. I have no issues with an extension.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Mata is a model player. A good man, most likely a good presence in the dressing room and someone who can help the youngsters. Is he being paid more than he is worth? maybe, but if Woody is to be believed, we have enough money to afford anyone, so I am never concerned about wages/player cost because it isn't my money. He will be fine as a squad player for another season, or perhaps sold in January or used in a swap deal if we target someone in that window. I have no issues with an extension.
Woody can say whatever he wants, the money won’t be there in a decade unless we find a way out of this mess.

If he was such a model pro he would’ve left because it is clear he’s nowhere near the level required to do well in the PL, he became even slower than he was.

Kemizee

I don't see any problem with extension for Mata. He has been a model professional. Rather the young guys take example from him than Likely who keeps on talking about other managers.
I
I weep for this club. Is this really the priority when assessing a players' performance now? How professional he is?

robinvpersie

Whatever happened to the good oul days when the kit man provided the moral in the dressing room..

Is it just me or does Juan seem to be the Dr. Phil of the dressing room?

"no luke, dont loose weight, the fans should love you Just the way you are, your perfect in my eyes"

The same fans love him for being nice, are the same ones who loved Keane for telling Ronnie to stop diving like a pussy.

Footie is dead. Sad to say I lived to see it happen, if your looking for me I'll be outside Rory Delap's garden. "accidently" waiting for the ball to be thrown back to me......

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Great news to keep Juan at the club, model pro and great example to the young players coming through

Need to keep some experience in the dressing room - Mata and Young won't play everyweek

Cloud7

Mata was the straw that broke the camel’s back apparently. Anti glazer campaign on twitter in the wake of it being announced that he’s got a new contract :lol:

Canagel

"Model Professional"
What use was this model professionalism for last two years as he went on a sharp decline? This fanbase is really strange.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
A key sign that we won’t be making many signings this summer. Mata barely played under Ole and here we just decided to give him 2 extra years.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
"Model Professional"
What use was this model professionalism for last two years as he went on a sharp decline? This fanbase is really strange.
Model professional, Nice bloke, human, puts in effort, can be useful etc etc

RedDevilRoshi

A squad player getting a new 2 year plus a potential additional year contract

We really are a f****** mess :lol:

Canagel

Model professional, Nice bloke, human, puts in effort, can be useful etc etc
"Effort" ,"hardwork" and "top professional" is enough to buy you time here long after you've declined and stopped producing. Other clubs doesn't even wait until decline begins. Look at how City let Kompany leave - didn't wait for his performance to fall off a cliff and parted ways at the top. If he was here we'd have given him another 4 years and pay rise.

Wheato

Mata was the straw that broke the camel’s back apparently. Anti glazer campaign on twitter in the wake of it being announced that he’s got a new contract :lol:
Nah, they were brewing that up for a while. Glazers are going nowhere while our stock is low. They need to build it all up again and cash in when we are on top. Us not being successful doesn't benefit them one bit. They are playing the long game here, because they know that the price of a club can double in a decade. The more they hang on, the more of a return they make. But if the club drops like a stone, so does their nest egg.

All of this because of a fecking race horse and who owns it's sperm.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
"Model Professional"
Useful in dressing room and on the training pitch everyday - could well see Mata getting involved in training the kids in the future

Not just about match performance, although he still scored some vital goals last year anyway

Flytan

Useful in dressing room and on the training pitch everyday - could well see Mata getting involved in training the kids in the future

Not just about match performance, although he still scored some vital goals last year anyway
If his leadership skills in training has contributed to Rashford, Martial, and other young players turning into Instagram models and stalling their progress then is he really all that good?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
This thread is disgusting. It just shows to me everything that is wrong with modern football and so called United fans. The club is being destroyed by the Glazers no doubt but the modern day fans are just as responsible imho.

Dumbat12

I
I weep for this club. Is this really the priority when assessing a players' performance now? How professional he is?
Seems to be the case in the past few years, at least. My mind boggles at how everyone who justifies this contract renewal or other similiar ones - such as Ashley Young, for example, is not their football skills, but how "good" of a people they are and how "professional" they are. Like being a good person requires you to be paid ridiculous amount of money.

I'd take an arrogant prick that scores goals by the dozen than a Gandhi-like goody-two-shoes. This is football and we're dealing with football players here and their ability on the pitch, not how nice their personalities are. Say what you want about the the Madrid fans, but they will never accept this shit. And that's why they're on top and we're scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

langster

Scout

Imagine being a marquee signing from a rival club then being constantly under utilised, played out of position and never given the role he desired then being subbed constantly or dropped but all the time being a positive influence to the team and constantly communicating with the fans, apologising for poor performances and results even when he personally was not involved. Then when picked often being the scape-goat for bad performances and losses...

All the while seeing players on 4× his money being fecking useless and not giving a shit about the team or fans...

Or seeing someone given everything only to say they want to leave...

Yeah, let's all give Mata shit.

I'd rather 11 Matas than 11 Sanchezes.
Seems to be the case in the past few years, at least. My mind boggles at how everyone who justifies this contract renewal or other similiar ones - such as Ashley Young, for example, is not their football skills, but how "good" of a people they are and how "professional" they are. Like being a good person requires you to be paid ridiculous amount of money.

I'd take an arrogant prick that scores goals by the dozen than a Gandhi-like goody-two-shoes. This is football and we're dealing with football players here and their ability on the pitch, not how nice their personalities are. Say what you want about the the Madrid fans, but they will never accept this shit. And that's why they're on top and we're at the bottom of the barrel.
And there we have it. My point proved. 11 players who win the league and CL but not one who cares about the club or shows any loyalty towards it over 11 who try hard and care and give everything and live and breath the club and its history and tradition.

United have NEVER been all about winning. It's how they win.

The win at all costs generation has taken over...

Dumbat12

And there we have it. My point proved. 11 players who win the league and CL but not one who cares about the club or shows any loyalty towards it over 11 who try hard and care and give everything and live and breath the club and its history and tradition.

The win at all costs generation has taken over...
First off, they're obviously not giving everything because we wouldn't be in this position if they were. And even if we imagine they did, what's the point anyway if they're useless? I'll show loyalty to these players when they prove that they are deserving of said loyalty. What has Mata done since being signed apart from hogging the wage bill? Writing excuses in his blog? And don't get me started on Ashley Young and the other dross that we keep renewing for reasons that are unfathomable for me.

United have NEVER been all about winning. It's how they win.
An absolute loser mentality that has no place in the club. Tell that to Fergie.

el3mel

Are some here actually still believe our lot give everything they have after they got 1 point out of 6 from the worst 2 teams in the league at the end of last season? :lol: Whatever shite these players are, they can't be losing to fecking relegated Cardiff at home.

Most of the squad don't give a feck about the club or fans and are only interested in collecting their fat salary per week while apologozing to the fans for going down hell after every loss.

I don't know how can anyone still feel any sympathy about our current players after letting the fans countless of times these last few years. Wake up. This generation of our players has no fight or guts in them.

langster

Scout
An absolute loser mentality that has no place in the club. Tell that to Fergie.
:lol: What? The manager who said he can tell more about his players after a loss than a win?

Fergie built his team's with players like Mata. He built his team's based on character as much as talent. He hated big names who thought they were bigger than the club and I think he would have hated managing in this era of football.

Yes Fergie wanted to win, feck, I want United to win all the time, but not by just going out and playing virrual FIFA and spending the most. I want players to love the club as much as I do. More so!. To give their all for the club. To appreciate and respect the history and to want to emulate the greats, to surpass them even. I want to see youth players rise to the top and be given the chance and to see players reach their potential. More than anything though I want to see players play for the club.

You say I have a loser mentality, I find that insulting, I just think I care about my club and its traditions and personally put those over winning..

Eddy_JukeZ

It's amazing that all of that tough bravado talk from Woodward and Ole was just talk.

Mata should have been binned off 2-3 years ago.

He gets an extension for 2 years.

Sentimentality gets you nowhere.

Saffron

"Model Professional"
Also went from being a regular for Spain to not receiving a single call-up for 3 years now. It’s not really the norm for a 28 year old to fall off a cliff like that. Really points to a sharp, premature decline.

In the past, players who declined so prematurely (Ronaldinho) were not treated so kindly.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
:lol: What? The manager who said he can tell more about his players after a loss than a win?

Fergie built his team's with players like Mata. He built his team's based on character as much as talent. He hated big names who thought they were bigger than the club and I think he would have hated managing in this era of football.

Yes Fergie wanted to win, feck, I want United to win all the time, but not by just going out and playing virrual FIFA and spending the most. I want players to love the club as much as I do. More so!. To give their all for the club. To appreciate and respect the history and to want to emulate the greats, to surpass them even. I want to see youth players rise to the top and be given the chance and to see players reach their potential. More than anything though I want to see players play for the club.

You say I have a loser mentality, I find that insulting, I just think I care about my club and its traditions and personally put those over winning..
Yeah but, when the likes of Nicky Butt, Phil Neville, Wes Brown, John O'Shea and Park Ji Sung were not able to contribute at a high level anymore they were politely shown the door.

Devils11

Fergie would have sold him no doubt and give more game time to our own kids like Chongs, Greenwoods and Gomes.

Those talks about his influences and being a role model for our young players are bollocks. We have a group of convicts or drug addicts in our academy or what? Has our Lingard learn anything from him those 5 years? Those young kids are more likely to join Jesse's whatapps group than Matas I would think.

The only real reason for his new contract which they can't say is "we don't find any value in todays' market so we are not buying. We are excited Mata has signed a new contract. It is like a new signing. We will stick to Lingard and Mata this season."

Last edited:

R'hllor

This thread is disgusting. It just shows to me everything that is wrong with modern football and so called United fans. The club is being destroyed by the Glazers no doubt but the modern day fans are just as responsible imho.
Woah just woah.

Imagine it was us instead of Arsenal in this year EL final, after that tickets split, after money spent for some to get there, after that performance of your team, after which one player barely forced some of his team mates to go to their fans to clap them off for them making a trip and show their support, nobody would give a shit about it, zero fecks given for those fans.

Thank God for this thread, true eye opener.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

If Fergie built his team around players like Mata we would have zero legacy to speak of. We didn’t build a reputation of building a side based on slow players who are ‘nice’ with no real burning desire to be uber successful.

He would fall into the category of silly Fergie buys when he tried to be a bit continental and cocked it all up. Thing is Fergie would see sense and cut his losses soon enough whereas these morons have managed to keep this flop here for more than half a decade and counting.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Great news to keep Juan at the club, model pro and great example to the young players coming through

Need to keep some experience in the dressing room - Mata and Young won't play everyweek
Experience of what losing? How to keep a dead career going by penning cute blogs and hugging fans each time you underperform on pitch relative to your fee and salary?

As for Young - don’t get me started.

Patrick08

How about keeping a model professional Herrera and not waste wages on mata?.

Patrick08

Yeah because it depends on 1 party to agree contract extensions.
It takes proper appreciation of player's contribution and an offer which is appropriate to his stature in the team and performances, unlike, if you believe a journalist castles " a pay cut " for him to agree, while wasting 140k a week on deadwoods who have little to offer and not fit the play style.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It takes proper appreciation of player's contribution and an offer which is appropriate to his stature in the team and performances, unlike, if you believe a journalist castles " a pay cut " for him to agree, while wasting 140k a week on deadwoods who have little to offer and not fit the play style.
Yeah I'll believe Duncan castles who is busy running his agenda over telegraph and BBC.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Nonsense, the modern day fans have next to no power. How the hell have the fans exactly affected the club that negatively ?

Patrick08

Yeah I'll believe Duncan castles who is busy running his agenda over telegraph and BBC.
Same man who reports AWB fee has been agreed raising muppet dreams around cafe.

A main midfield cog who loved the club has left us for free which had a direct impact on our seasons abysmal finish in europa league. How often does it happen at this club?