Juan Mata officially leaves Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lovely bloke and a sublime footballer too. We just didn’t see it enough.

Silas

I thought the reason we extended his contract was because he was going into some ambassadorial role for us?

Withnail

Sad about this one but ultimately he was never a good fit and I always felt we never saw the best of him. Provided some memorable moments all the same. Lovely fella.

R'hllor

Thanks for everything, pure class of a guy, sadly his contract should never be extended and thats from both povs.

stu_1992

Unlike the other two, I am sad to see him leave. Never a star player for us but I am fond of him. However its definitely the right time for both parties, probably overdue if we're honest.

A class act as a person and superb on the ball. Just missing that bit of physicality needed to be more effective I think. Underutilised at times, and never really fit well into a lot of our managers systems so he's definitely a victim of that. But always felt like he was giving it his all when he did play and he seems like an excellent role model. I hope he goes on to have a nice end to his career in a league more suited to him.

spaceboyRSA

Sad about this one but ultimately he was never a good fit and I always felt we never saw the best of him. Provided some memorable moments all the same. Lovely fella.
Hit nail on the head. This is the only outgoing so far I’m actually a bit sad about. But it’s the right thing for all sides.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Genuinely saddened by Mata leaving.

Rolls Royce of a footballer who we underused in the last 2 seasons.
Would’ve made a difference against the smaller teams this season but alas not to be.
Farewell Juan and hopefully you can enjoy whatever's left of your career, maybe be back as a coach or something one day.

Revaulx

His signing was what convinced me that the club’s (not just whichever manager’s) recruitment was totally clueless in the absence of SAF.

I’ll still miss him a lot more than many more “appropriate“ signings though, and do think that he’s been underused in recent years; not so much as a starter, but he’s never let us down when he’s come on as a sub.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
He's hardly played for 3 years.

I find the praise he's getting (in comparison to to the abuse Pogba and Lingard received) bizarre.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
great chap. Should’ve been our no.10
Criminally underused and wrongly used when played
Meh. Guy was weak and slow and peaked 2-3 years before we got him.

Only 'criminal' thing here is that he somehow lasted 8.5 years at the club.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Agree that Juan was the wrong fit for the managers we had probably bar LVG. There was an obsession of midfielders who run around a lot but unfortunately bar Matic had not much technique. Juan had brains and that can be much more valuable if you use him properly. Some club is going to get a real asset.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
If this guy had a proper structure and a team that played with him as a focal point we could have been pretty amazing.

The last intelligent footballer to leave this football club since Daley Blind. I like players who don’t necessary have pace but more technical ability and they are most certainly a dying breed.

All the best and thank you for Juanfield.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thanks for literally one world class game, Juan! Hugs

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I am sad about this - liked Mata.
For some reason he didnt kick on at United

CM

Actually a little bit surprised at this one. The last week or two there were a few noises which made it sound like he might stay.

Ultimately I think it's a good thing though. This clear out has been massively overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.