Jude Bellingham | Confirmed Borussia Dortmund player

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascell

Either Castles has read the Caf re the 18 month loan, or Birmingham are trying to start a bidding war letting it be known we've bid £25m and open to selling him.

Bestietom

He could be one for the future. I think if he came here now, he wouldn't play every week. He will play most games with Birmingham.

RedNed77

Surely 16 year olds can't sign long term contracts (5 years) I'm pretty sure 3 years is the longest, so signing him for 25m and letting Birmingham have him for half the length of his contract would be unwise - unless I'm completely wrong on child contract laws?
I didn’t think players could sign a professional contract until they were 17, if that’s the case why is there a transfer fee in here at all? Can somebody with greater knowledge explain/clarify?

-Supreme-

I didn’t think players could sign a professional contract until they were 17, if that’s the case why is there a transfer fee in here at all? Can somebody with greater knowledge explain/clarify?
Exactly, hence the reason why Birmingham aren't able to get him signed a professional contract until he turns 17 this summer

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Yeah, very odd.

I was under the impression that the transfer fee would be set by a tribunal for those under 17.

Basically a smallish fee to ensure that the club gets compensated for the cost of his development etc.

Something must have changed i guess.

LVGSdive

Don't quite see it with this kid. He looks like he's physically mature for his age which allows him to get playing time but the comparisons with Pogba seem way off the mark. The difference in technique even at the same age is huge. He seems to have really shit balance and is always falling to the ground. Obviously has decent potential but I'd feel hesitant.
Maybe there's another player with the same name that you're referring to.

Dan_F

25 million is mental, unless there’s a load of add ons. We signed one of the best 16 yr olds in Hannibal Mejbri, for 4 mil rising to 8 mil.

Judas

Open to offers
25 million is mental, unless there’s a load of add ons. We signed one of the best 16 yr olds in Hannibal Mejbri, for 4 mil rising to 8 mil.
Difference is we're buying from an English club and he's English. Still a lot I agree, but unfortunately it's not a surprise.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We offered more for Cherki and Mejbri isn't English or playing first team football

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Difference is we're buying from an English club and he's English. Still a lot I agree, but unfortunately it's not a surprise.
A major difference is the level they are playing at

Lynty

Bellinghams a starter. Mejbri wanted out.

In Birminghams eyes, we're buying a first team star, not a youngster with potential.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bellinghams a starter. Mejbri wanted out.

In Birminghams eyes, we're buying a first team star, not a youngster with potential.
This is correct about Mejbri. We wouldn't have got him for the reported fee, if his family didn't have a big fall out with Monaco.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
#mufc are trying to sign Birmingham’s Jude Bellingham this month but a £25m fee is proving prohibitive. He’s also reluctant to drop to an under-23 level after securing his place in senior football #mulive [@David_Ornstein] https://t.co/CjTmLXFEpp

Judas

Open to offers
He’s not an idiot this kid. Comes from a good background. A buy with a loan back would be ideal for everyone. No point farting about in the under 23s if he’s already getting minutes in the championship
Exactly. It's like having an already established good loan club already in place. It's almost too logical for us though.

DCP

He's a regular starter in the championship and looks a class act. He's not 18 months away from starting for us, there's an argument made that he could start for us now.

If we sign him then he's not going in to the u23s. He's coming and either spending 6 months training with the first time and playing occasionally, cup matches etc or being loaned back until the end of this season. Not 18 months.

DarkRed

Exactly. It's like having an already established good loan club already in place. It's almost too logical for us though.
If it's Phelan watching him and not Butt, I assume they want him in the first team, sort of like they tried with Greenwood, Gomes and Chong.

Lynty

Guessing he'd replace Garner/Gomes on the bench for most games.

But he has the physicality to actually handle the league.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
People saying he's not going to play in the u23's.......why do we have to bring him here immediately? Sign him and leave there for next 6-18 months on loan.

Crashoutcassius

Castles is saying that Birmingham want a 18 months loan back.

I think a 18 month loan at Birmingham would take him to 18 years of age and would suit everyone.
I think it's wierd

What if his form drops off and he is out of the team for 18 months

For a key player it makes sense or a 16 year old in some tiny league who is going to get a club promoted

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think it's wierd

What if his form drops off and he is out of the team for 18 months

For a key player it makes sense or a 16 year old in some tiny league who is going to get a club promoted
I think if his form dropped and wasn't playing much, Birmingham would terminate the loan.

SteveW

No need for him to play in the 23s. Let him stay there and develop. He can come train with United every so often like Delle Alli used to between MK and Spurs.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There has to be a level of concern on how you handle a 16-year old's development if he's not coming from a reputed academy or playing with highly technical and savvy players who can act as guiding lights.

If we are buying this lad, his development is then purely in our interest and responsibility, at which point you look at Birmingham and ask if they're good enough to take him on a progression that benefits us.

I do have concerns for these extremely young prodigies in that they get played too hard and too often and everything seems fine and dandy with them... until they hit 27ish or so and are already fading due to having played too many games in the adult world (Cesc, as a CM, is the prime example).

I don't have an answer as to how you develop them properly because, I guess, when you're ready, you're ready, but these are still formative years of development and I can't help but wonder where the best place is for someone like him to improve on a technical level.

He's playing in the Championship, so there's no question he can handle the physicality and whatnot, but that's not ultimately what matters for us as we can gladly spare a year or two to round out a better product and worry about the physical aspects further down the road.

It's an unenviable task to handle the growth of someone who is 'ready' now on some levels, but is only 16 years of age.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If Luckhurst is to be believed and we're seriously considering promoting Mejbri to the first team due to injuries to Pogba and McTominay. Then I believe we will use Mejbri's progress at a similar age to convince Bellingham to join. The progress of Mason and Rashford would also be a selling point.

ATXRedDevil

Get this done. Despite our current state, we’re actually set up brilliantly for a couple of years down the road with our current crop of 16-24 year old players, IF we make the proper complimentary first team signings. This lad could be a huge part of that. Send him back to Birmingham for 6-18 months, and if the latter, put a recall clause in for next season. £25 may be a lot, but this has the feel of something we’ll regret in a few years if we don’t do it, or a signing that will cost us multiples down the road after he moves to Leicester or somewhere else and does brilliantly.

Ranchero

More blah di blah. Willing to spend £25m blah blah. While we swither over Bruno blah blah. Maybe they think it is FRANK Bruno.

LuckyScout78

Look like a really top talent. Maybe best on his age around the world. I don’t mind see him in this transfer window. I would easily pick this boy over Perreira as one of the two CM beside Fred. A more natural cm player than Perreira. Right man for the right job.

Rashford, Greenwood, Fernandes and this boy. Should be 4 good start....of a future really good team. Quick hard working footie ball players. Gel in to a strong Unit and team/collective.

Buy him before City, Pool or others big clubs buy him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Get this done. Despite our current state, we’re actually set up brilliantly for a couple of years down the road with our current crop of 16-24 year old players, IF we make the proper complimentary first team signings. This lad could be a huge part of that. Send him back to Birmingham for 6-18 months, and if the latter, put a recall clause in for next season. £25 may be a lot, but this has the feel of something we’ll regret in a few years if we don’t do it, or a signing that will cost us multiples down the road after he moves to Leicester or somewhere else and does brilliantly.
You can see the platform we are building. If this you can't win with kids project is fulfilled, we will have a solid platform for the next ten years going forward.

jb8521

He'll have signed a scholarship contract at 16 with a 1/2 year scholarship & guaranteed 2 year professional deal

enwhykiid

I think the thought process here is that if he signs a contract with them this year, he would cost a lot more than 25m

The whole thing about the tribunal fee is the Bellingham and his family are very loyal to Bermingham and would most likely sign the contract, so we would not get the chance to sign him on the free and pay the minimal fee.

This way, we get the player and they get compensated, with the possibly of keeping the lad on loan to develop

RedNed77

I think the thought process here is that if he signs a contract with them this year, he would cost a lot more than 25m

The whole thing about the tribunal fee is the Bellingham and his family are very loyal to Bermingham and would most likely sign the contract, so we would not get the chance to sign him on the free and pay the minimal fee.

This way, we get the player and they get compensated, with the possibly of keeping the lad on loan to develop
Not sure I get this, he hasn't signed the contract yet which is presumably why we're looking at him now. The only way what you're saying makes sense is if the Bellinghams are that in love with Brum they are asking us to give Birmingham a £25m fee as an apology. If we're being asked to give £25m away, you would have thought his parents would want it giving to him/them as a signing on fee rather than to Birmingham City, unless they are either already multi-millionaires or, idiots.

The tribunal fees, as far as I'm aware, are set at the cost to the club of developing the player. They don't generally reflect the players future value as its unquantifiable.

Occams razor says, and indeed what would make more sense is, that Duncan Castles is a fecking idiot who has no idea about u17 players and has made up a story with a juicy fee to act as click-bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.