Jude Bellingham | Confirmed Borussia Dortmund player

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
Again, a good club thinks beyond the next 10 games when spending huge money. You mentioning our last match is irrelevant. The picture is so much bigger than that. The club are more concerned with working themselves into a position where they will be better than Liverpool over the next 5-7 years than who wins the next match.

Any players we buy now will be in keeping with this vision. We may do short term loan deals, or buy a player occasionally to help those players develop, but the mission is always the same.

Anyone who thinks the way to react to the Liverpool loss is just to INVEST HEAVILY NOW has missed the irony of just how Liverpool became better than us in the first place. They set a plan, it took them 3 years, and they worked towards it. In that time, they have lost games to us.
I agree with you about taking a long term approach, and think he sounds like a pretty good player to target, but I disagree with much of your post apart from that.

Liverpool haven't targeted championship players much at all as far as I can tell. Most of Klopp's early signings were players with experience in the premier league or another top league who were near their mid-twenties, but were not attracting enough hype or attention to require huge fees. Mane, Wijnaldum, Matip, and the like were ready to step in and help the club reach top 4 quickly, even if they obviously weren't good enough to win major trophies. As the team improved and qualified for champions league, they attracted bigger names and spent more money. Recently, they've focused a lot on young talents like Elliott and Hoever, but haven't spent a fortune on them.

A player like Bellingham could really help United in 3-4 years, but they need someone to bridge the gap, and help make progress toward their goals. If they aren't winning more, they wont have a strong locker room culture for players like him to mature and develop. I think the issue is worsened by United's seemingly limited ability to focus on multiple targets at once. If they can only sign 3 players in a summer window, and maybe 1 in the winter, they need to go for ones who can help now, but who are young enough to help in 4-5 years as well.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
What did Ed and Judge offer - 2 million now and another 28 million when he wins the Ballon D'Or in 5 years time ?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I do agree with @Rozay his posts that looking forward and setting up a plan for the future and executing that plan is a very good strategy and something that has been lacking.

However this is Manchester United we are talking about. This club should be able to do both. Investments for now but also do investments for the future. It shouldnt be impossible to sign Bruno to get into the team right now and also sign this player for the (near) future. Manchester United is rich and big enough to do both.
We can do both, but only if the numbers are right and we need to be considerate of the fact that these are not insignificant investments even for a club of our size and income. Revenue last year was about £630m, with expected profit if I recall correctly of around £150m. We are operating in a world where it could cost upwards of £30m to secure a big potential talent who is 16 years of age. Its not really sustainable for any club, and the fact that transfer fees are not looking like coming down anytime soon means that most clubs, even at our level, have to decide on a strategy and stick to it.

Its one of the reasons why what we are doing this season is so important. The wage bill has been ridiculous for too long now. We have made good decisions focused on getting that back under control, and there seems to be increased determination to get deals done on our terms, but even then we still can't just go out and spend the type of money it would take to bring us up to title winning levels right now. Instead we plan further ahead & we do it gradually. Buying two 1st team players and a couple of prospects would stretch our finances to the limit, but we should be able to afford that if we play smart in the market.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Why? I don’t understand
One issue is having a visa, another is passing the criteria for a player to be considered a 'special talent.' Previously the decision by the FA was arbitrary and undefined, meaning most who applied were successful. Now the player has to be a full international and be within the top 30 earning players at the club, among other things.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
One issue is having a visa, another is passing the criteria for a player to be considered a 'special talent.' Previously the decision by the FA was arbitrary and undefined, meaning most who applied were successful. Now the player has to be a full international and be within the top 30 earning players at the club, among other things.
So us the Portuguese passport to fall within EU employment laws?

Red_toad

They had a Portuguese passport.

It's very difficult to sign a Brazilian kid if they don't have an EU passport.
I was countering a statement that was made that ‘we can’t sign Brazilian teenagers’, which is indeed incorrect. Anderson is also another Brazilian teenager we signed. So we can sign them, as it’s happened at least 3 times.

0le

I think this would be a really exciting signing. Hopefully we can get it done. Maybe a deal where the player joins in the summer, so he keeps getting games at Birmingham.

Judas

Open to offers
There's just certain people who support this club that will never be happy, you also can't please everyone all of the time. But I'd say the majority would love this transfer, certainly gets me more hopeful for the future. We totally seemed to have lost our way with aiming for these types over the last 5 years.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Ffs 30mil for a 16 yr old? Lessons never learned. Hows that 80 mil Martial working out for us?
So we just making up numbers now are we? In that case 8 quid and a box of fondant fancies is an absolute steal for Jude.

Godfather

There's just certain people who support this club that will never be happy, you also can't please everyone all of the time. But I'd say the majority would love this transfer, certainly gets me more hopeful for the future. We totally seemed to have lost our way with aiming for these types over the last 5 years.
It's all well and good signing these youngsters. In the state we are in it sure as hell shouldn't be a priority though.

Judas

Open to offers
It's all well and good signing these youngsters. In the state we are in it sure as hell shouldn't be a priority though.
True enough, it would be bonkers if we just signed this lad, but right now its certainly looking the only likely player to come in, and I'd doubt he'd even be playing for us this season.

Godfather

True enough, it would be bonkers if we just signed this lad, but right now its certainly looking the only likely player to come in, and I'd doubt he'd even be playing for us this season.
It does sadly yeah. An exciting project the kid nevertheless but fecking hell. Can't even field a proper 11 anymore and we are potentially signing guys we will most likely send back on loan again.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ffs 30mil for a 16 yr old? Lessons never learned. Hows that 80 mil Martial working out for us?
If you can't even get fees right you should well avoid quoting them as it shows people the quality of your posts is poor and you know little to nothing on the topic.

slored1

The price is ridiculous. Would rather pay a bit more for Bruno and buy this kid in the summer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The price is ridiculous. Would rather pay a bit more for Bruno and buy this kid in the summer.
Its not either or, I think we are buying him and loaning him back

Nick7

That’s what I mean, I’d be amazed if we’ve paid anything more than the initial fee.
Pretty sure 25 goals, 25 international appearances and a Balon D’Or win make up the bonuses. He’s only hit one of them I think.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Pretty sure 25 goals, 25 international appearances and a Balon D’Or win make up the bonuses. He’s only hit one of them I think.
I think it was 10 international caps not 25

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think roughly 15-20m euros

Games played for United (Think was 25) and something else
Ah right I stand corrected, I thought the clauses were pretty much unachievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.