Jude Bellingham | Confirmed Borussia Dortmund player

Status
Not open for further replies.

macheda14

I don’t doubt that this is probably true, but espn have never really been a good source. A day or so before chelsea signed Werner, this guy links an article saying Man united might beat Liverpool to his signature.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Shame but surely the right decision for his development.
Yeah, with United only having Rashford, Williams, Greenwood and Mctominay in the first team and the likes of Garner, Tuanzebe, Laird and Mejbri on the fringes and having made World Class players out of Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes etc, it's clear that Dortmund is the place for him to progress.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, with United only having Rashford, Williams, Greenwood and Mctominay in the first team and the likes of Garner, Tuanzebe, Laird and Mejbri on the fringes and having made World Class players out of Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes etc, it's clear that Dortmund is the place for him to progress.
I'm definitely not saying that we don't develop players. He would simply not get past Pogba or Bruno. He also plays on the left for Birmingham, but that's where we play Rashford. Of course he would still get games, otherwise we wouldn't have been interested in spending that much money on a 17 year old. I just think that his chances at getting regular playing time are better at Dortmund and he clearly thinks the same if he decided to join them instead of us.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
How ironic is it that it's our #1 target that is responsible to Bellinghams desire to follow in his footsteps seeing how successfuil he's been.

Mac Asimov

The ESPN article is probably nonsense given the mystery around their 'sources', its all about the click bait. Either way its been made clear to him that we are very much interested, if he chooses elsewhere then thats his choice and that should be the end of it. For now we need players that will bleed for the club, and who see it as a privilege to play for our club.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
How? Just moving to a foreign country as a 16 year old is a sensible move?
He'll be 17 when the move happens - same age as Sancho was.

Thing is, isn't he best as a number 8 type player, and Dortmund have already got the perfect player there in Brandt. Unless they shift Bellingham out wide or move Brandt out of his preferred position it doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, other than Dortmund thinking they can make a lot of money on him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm personally sure he will flop if he moves there thinking that Dortmund is some magical place for all youngsters.

Dortmund are great only for attacking talent in my opinion but Bellingham seems different - he seems more robust, a CM suited for the english game rather than some super technical attacking player.

Who exactly have Dortmund been good for that is a pure CM down to CB, or a defensive minded LB or RB . I really cant think of much since the Klopp days and even then there careers have deflated after they left the club or Klopp left the club.

I think it's a great place/club/league to play or progress if your a CAM/LM/RM/ST but I've not seen much from many other positions at Dortmund and Bellingham to me comes across as one that is from another position than the ones who succeed.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
It's just a very easy thing for people to say. People think that moving to Dortmund is guaranteed success these days.
And United dont Rashford, Greenwood, Pereira, Lingard, McTominay, Williams, Chong, Tuanzebe and more to come give young players a chance anymore

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Good luck to the lad if true.

But it's alittle strange the latest news is coming from a little known German football correspondent who works for ESPN.

Skills

Snitch
He'll be 17 when the move happens - same age as Sancho was.

Thing is, isn't he best as a number 8 type player, and Dortmund have already got the perfect player there in Brandt. Unless they shift Bellingham out wide or move Brandt out of his preferred position it doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, other than Dortmund thinking they can make a lot of money on him.
Sancho didn't play much in his first season and Brandt will probably be on the verge of leaving in a couple of seasons, once Belligham has settled in.

riis

Supports
Liverpool
He'll be 17 in a week. Loads of 17 year olds sign for clubs in foreign countries every season. Dortmund is one of the best clubs, if not the best club, in the top five leagues you can join as an ambitious and talented 17 year old.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'm definitely not saying that we don't develop players. He would simply not get past Pogba or Bruno. He also plays on the left for Birmingham, but that's where we play Rashford. Of course he would still get games, otherwise we wouldn't have been interested in spending that much money on a 17 year old. I just think that his chances at getting regular playing time are better at Dortmund and he clearly thinks the same if he decided to join them instead of us.
If we were intending to spend £30m on him, he'd be in direct competition with the likes of Fred and Mctominay, so would definitely get games. The 'Dortmund make great players' narrative is mostly myth anyway, as very few of them seem to have great careers afterwards, which isn't the case with the few top players who choose to leave us, who almost always have successful careers elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent stepping stone. But that's all it is.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Ruhr Nachrichten paper however you spell it, reckons Dortmund have beaten both of us to his signing and will announce in coming days

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
In all honesty it's a good move for him. Exposes himself to a different football culture and language at a young age without the pressure of pl. If he were my son, I would encourage him to make the move as well.

SATA

Does he have a first team spot there? I am not familiar with Dortmund’s starting team but who is he going to replace there in the XI? Because if he’s going there, he is surely being promised first team football

Vissy

Manchester United is a massive global brand that Dortmund can't compare to, and we've got a load of incredibly talented and influential players such as Pogba, Rashford, De Gea and Bruno. Bellingham would undoubtedly be better served career-wise by joining us. Joining Dortmund in the hopes that he's the chosen one out of a large batch of youngsters to make it big in there is a bit of a long shot to me, but it's not illogical because that's how footballers are taught to think, in that sort of bordering-on-delusional ambition and self-belief manner. If he joins Dortmund it's for footballing reasons: Champions League, a seemingly nice club with a good atmosphere and passionate fans, good players, good coaches, excellent standard of living etc.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I assume you are a Chelsea fan? When were you involved? I thought it was only between United and Dortmund in for him
No idea, that paper claims it was a 3 way fight. I didnt think we were in for him either

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Disappointed he's not coming but without any midfield departures how many games would he get next season with us? Not many I'd imagine.

If Dortmund are going to use him more he's done the right thing. He will end up back in the PL within 3 years.

mu4c_20le

Chelsea were in for him before the lockdown, but I think they turned their attention elsewhere.

We need an rvn

Disappointed he's not coming but without any midfield departures how many games would he get next season with us? Not many I'd imagine.

If Dortmund are going to use him more he's done the right thing. He will end up back in the PL within 3 years.
perhaps but I'd much rather sell Matic to free up a midfield slot and sign him now for £30m than £100m in 3 years time. Appears to be a bit of a Rooney signing in my opinion and whilst I can see why it appeals to the kid to sign for BVB, we should be getting these signings nailed now.

A frustrated loss if it happens that's all

macheda14

perhaps but I'd much rather sell Matic to free up a midfield slot and sign him now for £30m than £100m in 3 years time. Appears to be a bit of a Rooney signing in my opinion and whilst I can see why it appeals to the kid to sign for BVB, we should be getting these signings nailed now.

Selling matic would be madness, we have no one else who can play his role quite like him. Replacing him with a 16 year old is far too risky.

Canuckred64

If he feels that he will get significant first time appearances with Dortmund, its understandable he chose them over us, because I don't think he gets many first team appearances with us.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Could well be right. He's made his choice though so we got to accept it. Plenty of other clubs in PL could have moved for him and haven't done. He might not be all that.

Teja

If he feels that he will get significant first time appearances with Dortmund, its understandable he chose them over us, because I don't think he gets many first team appearances with us.
I think we promised him first team footy as well. He would've been a part of the squad and would've had his chances (ala. Greenwood / Williams). Of course it then is up to him to prove himself, if he fell flat like Chong, his apps would've been limited to just the cups.

RUCK4444

But surprised really, United can provide him plying time, in the league I assume he aspires to eventually play in.

Perhaps we’ve given Dortmund a free run at him in order to facilitate Sancho the other way. Not out of the realms of possibility.

Varun1

I've not seen him play, am not even sure he's what we need right now, but I can't wait for Dortmund to announce the fecking signing.
Had enough of the remours.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm old skool in situations like this. I can't comprehend any player turning down Manchester United for anyone other than Barcelona or Madrid.

This is due to my very red tinted specs of course.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
I guess its only a matter of days until we announce it officialy.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Does he have a first team spot there? I am not familiar with Dortmund’s starting team but who is he going to replace there in the XI? Because if he’s going there, he is surely being promised first team football
Never get such way of thinking. Nobody is a guaranteed starter. He has to learn and to perform like everyone else, and earn a place in the squad. And also nobody is exactly replacing someone. This lad is young and comes of a second division. Dortmund is always fighting for the title and plays CL. So it also could be that we don't see him on the pitch for month. People got some strange imagination of football or teams they don't follow close. Sancho also had to train like a half year before he even were considered to play a little bit.

Last edited:

M16Red

That's two players now we've missed out on to Dortmund, is that because of our image, League positions or football?

Mylock

Bellingham seems to the next wonderboy to come on the scene. It's a smart move if he goes to Dortmund as he would be under far less pressure than if he had signed for us. I presume it correct we were interested in him, but we have some excellent midfield talent such as garner and levit who have yet to get the chance with 1st team. We have more critical requirements on the right side which hopefully will be addressed by Sancho, and we're short of a goalscorer up top.

Mylock

That's two players now we've missed out on to Dortmund, is that because of our image, League positions or football?
I would think it because the pressure for young players at United at present is higher than Dortmund, they'll have time to grow. It's established players we need right now to move up the table; then we'll be able to accommodate these players.

Judas

Open to offers
I'll be interested to see how he gets on. He's not the typical type of player they turn into superstars, but he's got all the talent that if he doesn't improve massively there they've done something terribly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.