Jude Bellingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Us, Chelsea, Arsenal and even City are possible destinations. Everyone has a slot in midfield. CL would be crucial. Liverpool will face huge competition for sure.

Hammondo

90 appearances for Dortmund at 17-18 alone is impressive. Including Birmingham and England too, nearly 150 professional appearances before his 19th birthday.

For context, he's younger than Zidane Iqbal who got rave reviews on here for a couple pre-season games, and he's still about 9 months younger than Paul Scholes was when he made his professional debut.
Not really that bothered about appearances. There are many young players who get hyped that never turn out good. There is not much impressive about him in terms of his play.

Trequarista10

Not really that bothered about appearances. There are many young players who get hyped that never turn out good. There is not much impressive about him in terms of his play.
OK. It's also highly probable that a player's performances will improve in time compared to their performances as a 16-18 year old. What are you comparing his performances to, other 16-18 year olds who are playing youth football, or to midfielders in the prime of their careers??

Hammondo

OK. It's also highly probable that a player's performances will improve in time compared to their performances as a 16-18 year old. What are you comparing his performances to, other 16-18 year olds who are playing youth football, or to midfielders in the prime of their careers??
I am not comparing him to either, I am just looking at his performances.

Trequarista10

I am not comparing him to either, I am just looking at his performances.
Well if you're assessing his performances and his ability, what criteria are you judging him by? Because you can't assess his quality without the context that he would have been 17 or 18 at the time. If you're not taking that into context then by default you're assessing him by the same criteria that you'd assess a 20, 25 or 30 year old, which wouldn't make much sense.

If he's even holding his own or not looking completely out of his depth at that age it's bloody impressive, even with making some allowance for early development/physicality.

redshaw

Liverpool or Madrid then. Seems nailed on Pool and Hey Jude songs but I can see him being tempted by Madrid if they really want him like they did with Bale (Welsh). I wouldn't put much stock in this being English thing for every player.

If he only wants Liverpool then Dortmund will be forced to accept their best offer which will still be decent

Hammondo

Well if you're assessing his performances and his ability, what criteria are you judging him by? Because you can't assess his quality without the context that he would have been 17 or 18 at the time. If you're not taking that into context then by default you're assessing him by the same criteria that you'd assess a 20, 25 or 30 year old, which wouldn't make much sense.

If he's even holding his own or not looking completely out of his depth at that age it's bloody impressive, even with making some allowance for early development/physicality.
I am not expecting him to play the same football as an older player, just looking at his talent.

MegadrivePerson

He won't go to Liverpool for a number of reasons.
1. They will be blown out of the water financially in terms of a fee and wages by other clubs.
2. I really don't think they will qualify for the Champions League next season. By the time the world cup starts they will be around 10 to 15 points off a top four place.
3. Real Madrid have made him their number one priority.

I could see Bellingham going to Madrid next summer and Kroos going to United!

In Rainbows

I am not expecting him to play the same football as an older player, just looking at his talent.
How can you look at his talent if you're not seeing him against players his age? Those players are able to show off their talent (vision, technique, dribbling, etc...) under far easier circumstances. I mentioned it earlier, but he was the most impressive of a very good 2003 England generation which also had Musiala. Under easier circumstances he stood out. Great technique with great balance.

RoyH1

Liverpool or Madrid then. Seems nailed on Pool and Hey Jude songs but I can see him being tempted by Madrid if they really want him like they did with Bale (Welsh). I wouldn't put much stock in this being English thing for every player.

If he only wants Liverpool then Dortmund will be forced to accept their best offer which will still be decent
Problem for Madrid now is that Jude is non- EU and they'd need to get one of their 3 Brazilians EU citizenship pronto if they are to sign someone from outside the block (unless they sell of course)

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Right now I think he's a more old school B2B midfielder, which aren't very common in today's modern game. He isn't particularly great at anything but it's good in lots of things, including energy and mentality. Despite being very young, he's a leader on the pitch and can push his colleagues when they are down.

Given this, I think he would struggle in a modern dominant team that wants to keep possession, he won't be great when put under pressure but can help against deeper teams by a getting into attacking positions.

What's important to know is his age, still only 19 and he is playing at a high level. He can definitely improve his technical aspects and the high fee will be for that belief.

Hammondo

Right now I think he's a more old school B2B midfielder, which aren't very common in today's modern game. He isn't particularly great at anything but it's good in lots of things, including energy and mentality. Despite being very young, he's a leader on the pitch and can push his colleagues when they are down.

Given this, I think he would struggle in a modern dominant team that wants to keep possession, he won't be great when put under pressure but can help against deeper teams by a getting into attacking positions.

What's important to know is his age, still only 19 and he is playing at a high level. He can definitely improve his technical aspects and the high fee will be for that belief.
I agree with this, but the amount of times I hear on this forum that players can learn better technical ability but it doesn't happen.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I agree with this, but the amount of times I hear on this forum that players can learn better technical ability but it doesn't happen.
My view is anything can improve with regular deliberate practise.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
1. They will be blown out of the water financially in terms of a fee and wages by other clubs.
2. I really don't think they will qualify for the Champions League next season. By the time the world cup starts they will be around 10 to 15 points off a top four place.

I admire your positivity and I really wish no.2 happens but I can’t see it :)

Their fixtures are ok (three tough, all away mind) and as last game showed, when they click, they’re a good side (unfortunately)

1 and 3 maybe given age of Modric and Kroos. Pay a fortune, get 8-9 good years, then sell him for a good fee.

Trex

How can you look at his talent if you're not seeing him against players his age? Those players are able to show off their talent (vision, technique, dribbling, etc...) under far easier circumstances. I mentioned it earlier, but he was the most impressive of a very good 2003 England generation which also had Musiala. Under easier circumstances he stood out. Great technique with great balance.
When I look at a player I look for the things he's good at, for example with Zidane Iqbal I had'nt seen him much till pre season.
From those games you can see his touch and technique even compared to senior pros and senior opponent, you can see his willingness to get on the ball and dictate play and the ease at which he does it.
I'm not saying he is a better player than Bellingham but I don't see were Bellingham stands out, he is clearly a decent all rounder with a body that means he can play among men but even when he was at Birmingham and was linked to United I kept on asking what are his stand out qualities, those trait that will make him world class.....the focus was always on the fact that he was 16 playing among men.

macheda14

They just won 9-0, they’re not looking great because they’re slightly thin in midfield but as soon as Tiago, Fabinho and Keita are all fully fit they’ll be back to being the second best team in the country

Skills

Snitch
Not sure if he's the type of midfielder we need. I'd prefer one in the ilk of a Modric, Thiago or FDJ.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City

He won’t be great when put under pressure? Have you seen the kids ability to get out of tight spaces, play intricate passes under pressure, and his desire to win the ball back once lost?

Can you elaborate on your comment?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
They just won 9-0, they’re not looking great because they’re slightly thin in midfield but as soon as Tiago, Fabinho and Keita are all fully fit they’ll be back to being the second best team in the country
They are a very good team, I agree with you. I think they are on the downswing and the 9-0 is an aberration. But they are comfortably still the 2nd best team in the country. Their squad is old, and loads of players are going to need replacing in the next 2-3 years. But their recruitment is superb generally.

In Rainbows

When I look at a player I look for the things he's good at, for example with Zidane Iqbal I had'nt seen him much till pre season.
From those games you can see his touch and technique even compared to senior pros and senior opponent, you can see his willingness to get on the ball and dictate play and the ease at which he does it.
I'm not saying he is a better player than Bellingham but I don't see were Bellingham stands out, he is clearly a decent all rounder with a body that means he can play among men but even when he was at Birmingham and was linked to United I kept on asking what are his stand out qualities, those trait that will make him world class.....the focus was always on the fact that he was 16 playing among men.
You really underrate his technical ability. That you think it's his body that allows him to compete with men just shows me you don't watch him much.

Trex

You really underrate his technical ability. That you think it's his body that allows him to compete with men just shows me you don't watch him much.
Maybe you should speak about his skillset instead being defensive you know.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He won’t be great when put under pressure? Have you seen the kids ability to get out of tight spaces, play intricate passes under pressure, and his desire to win the ball back once lost?

Can you elaborate on your comment?
Yes I watch him a lot at Dortmund and I do think he struggles when trying to maintain possession when put under pressure. I'm not talking about his ability to win the ball back in this instance, I said he has great energy and mentality, but rather his ability to either dribble out of pressure or make accurate passes while under it. I don't think he has that ability right now to be in a top European side, especially one that depends on holding on to possession.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
Yes I watch him a lot at Dortmund and I do think he struggles when trying to maintain possession when put under pressure. I'm not talking about his ability to win the ball back in this instance, I said he has great energy and mentality, but rather his ability to either dribble out of pressure or make accurate passes while under it. I don't think he has that ability right now to be in a top European side, especially one that depends on holding on to possession.
I’ll note that and keep my eyes open next game. The kids coachable though. If you had to build a CM and give him a default set of attributes he’d be well rounded and someone all top clubs would want to mould.

Personally, I’d not like him to come to
England & nail his colours to a top side just yet. I think Madrid would be his best move to learn from the best for a year or 2. He can easily do 5/6 years there and then come to the EPL when the next generation of teams are at the top. I can’t see City or Liverpool being top dogs in 5/6 years. Both will suffer post Pep & Klopp hangovers just as United did post Fergie.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sometimes players stand out among their age group but don't stand out quite as much as they age. The development and trajectory of footballers is not a linear thing and there are many factors involved. Fabregas was absurdly good as a kid and while he remained a class player he was clearly a good few notches below Xavi and Iniesta. Going by Pogbas career till then he shouldn't have been this divisive figure but an indisputed all time great. Then you have kids like that Barcelona chap who tore up every youth level but failed in the big time (forget his name).

Status
Not open for further replies.