Jude Bellingham | Signed for Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

wangyu

He played well against two teams that didn't apply themselves properly. They were already beaten before kick off. He was nowhere versus USA a proper football team.

tjb

Break the bank for this kid seriously
He's not the guy to break the bank for. For a midfielder, the player really has to be already world class/proven to pay that much for.

So far, having him in a midfield doesn't guarantee or even suggests domination. He hasn't helped shut down the midfield for the opposition either, hasn't dictated any game and got outran by the US midfield. Outside of one or two drives, and a few runs from deep, I haven't seen anything to justify us, a team trying to get back to the top, should spend upward of 80m to buy a midfielder who may not be impactful and that we would still have to develop.

Doing that for a forward/ attacker or winger makes sense, but not a midfielder.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
We have our own brilliant young midfielder in Kobbie Mainoo
At Mainoo's age Bellingham already had a full Championship season as starter and key player, and half a season starting for a Bundesliga top club under his belt.
It's nice to always point to those kids as these great potential alternatives but there really can be no comparison when these kids are playing in the nether regions of youth football. Bellingham is already performing at top level.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
He played well against two teams that didn't apply themselves properly. They were already beaten before kick off. He was nowhere versus USA a proper football team.
This is incredibly unfair.

0le

He reminds me of Pogba. He has fantastic technique, excellent passing and can make driving runs, but for whatever reason he can go missing for periods of the game. It is probably due to his age. I think he would benefit playing at Dortmund for another season.

UpWithRivers

Blaming him for USA is nonsense. It was pure tactics. Does no one even watch United? You play any 2 players in the world against a 4 and you are fkd. Ok you can count Mount and make it 3 but barely. Maybe 2.5 against 4. Happens all the time with United games. USA played with 4 midfielders - Pulisic and Mckinnie tucked in and they dominated. The balance for England was just off. Or is the whole England team sht on the basis of that game cos they all played badly - bar the defense

croadyman

He's not the guy to break the bank for. For a midfielder, the player really has to be already world class/proven to pay that much for.

So far, having him in a midfield doesn't guarantee or even suggests domination. He hasn't helped shut down the midfield for the opposition either, hasn't dictated any game and got outran by the US midfield. Outside of one or two drives, and a few runs from deep, I haven't seen anything to justify us, a team trying to get back to the top, should spend upward of 80m to buy a midfielder who may not be impactful and that we would still have to develop.

Doing that for a forward/ attacker or winger makes sense, but not a midfielder.
Yeah someone like that Argentinian guy Enzo looks to be more what our midfield needs,fear his price has rocketed now though

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I'm not too fussed if we don't get him but it'll be funny if Liverpool don't. They seem utterly convinced he's going there. Like they were with Mbappe.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Frenkie de jong says hi.
He’s what, 5 or 6 years older? Hell of a player, marginally better technically but can’t play 6/8/10 as well as Jude can.

He’s probably a better 6 and 10 at international level, maybe CL too. But Bellingham would play all three positions better in the PL. I don’t think many would argue.

stepic

he'd be great, but can we really afford both him and a new striker? and probably another CB and RB to boot?

mariko48

He’s what, 5 or 6 years older? Hell of a player, marginally better technically but can’t play 6/8/10 as well as Jude can.

He’s probably a better 6 and 10 at international level, maybe CL too. But Bellingham would play all three positions better in the PL. I don’t think many would argue.
Why are you so sure about that?

pascell

he'd be great, but can we really afford both him and a new striker? and probably another CB and RB to boot?
We haven't even been linked with him for a while, all the links are him moving to City, Liverpool or Real.

If Liverpool get top 4 then he'll likely go there, they've been in his ear for the past 18 months.

dinostar77

Marginally technically better?

As usual for this country, overhyping young talent. De Jong is pretty unique as there isnt anyone else like him in top flight football, a press resistance central midfielder, who can beat players who try the press and carry the ball forwards.

De jong would fit perfectly for ETH style of football more so than bellingham.

Bellingham at present (it could change) doesn't have the dribbling, passing, technical ability of de jong.

Id say he also doesnt have the vision, anticipation and awareness of de jong.

He might get there, but i think hes overhyped and not at the levels of a gavi or pedri who are similar age group.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Blaming him for USA is nonsense. It was pure tactics. Does no one even watch United? You play any 2 players in the world against a 4 and you are fkd. Ok you can count Mount and make it 3 but barely. Maybe 2.5 against 4. Happens all the time with United games. USA played with 4 midfielders - Pulisic and Mckinnie tucked in and they dominated. The balance for England was just off. Or is the whole England team sht on the basis of that game cos they all played badly - bar the defense
when Harry Maguire is your best play, you know something must be off :)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think any talk here about Bellingham is pretty much irrelevant. I don't think we are even in the running - my guess is Liverpool or another season at Dortmund followed by a move to Bayern. He surely won't go to City (are they even interested?), given he's not guaranteed anything like a regular start next year. He doesn't feel like a fit for Barca just now either

Judas

Open to offers
I am baffled by Liverpool fans thinking they'll sign him, even more so non Liverpool fans thinking it. The competition for him is far too strong and the money will be far too much for them.

MegadrivePerson

I am baffled by Liverpool fans thinking they'll sign him, even more so non Liverpool fans thinking it. The competition for him is far too strong and the money will be far too much for them.
A number of people that work in football seem to think its a done deal. On Judes social media he has been spending all his spare time with Trent Alexander- Arnold and Jordan Henderson.
He's a boyhood Liverpool fan that idolised Steven Gerrard.

I agree with you though, I think either Madrid or City will make such a big offer that it will blow them out of the water. Plus, Liverpool are likely to be playing Europa level football next season and Bellingham isn't going to drop down to that level!

Bojan Djordjic

As long as he doesn't end up at City, that would be beyond grim. I don't think Liverpool have it in them to sign him, hopefully I'm not proved wrong.
I don't really see Bellingham as a City type midfielder. Guardiola tends to like high level passers and I think Jude is more of a carrier (can't understand the Pogba comparisons as Pogba was an otherworldly passer for all his other weaknesses). Can't remember which manager it was that said that the faster the ball progresses up the pitch the quicker it comes back and I think Bellingham would be a player who wouldn't suit more possession oriented teams for this reason and its also the reason I personally would have reservations about United signing him particularly at the price we would pay.

I think EtH wants to build a team that can dominate possession and while Bellingham is clearly gifted I don't think he offers the control that a Pedri/Enzo Fernandes would. Having said that he liked Frenkie and Frenkie is another agent of chaos type player who transitions quickly so could be completely wrong.

Chief123

I don't really see Bellingham as a City type midfielder. Guardiola tends to like high level passers and I think Jude is more of a carrier (can't understand the Pogba comparisons as Pogba was an otherworldly passer for all his other weaknesses). Can't remember which manager it was that said that the faster the ball progresses up the pitch the quicker it comes back and I think Bellingham would be a player who wouldn't suit more possession oriented teams for this reason and its also the reason I personally would have reservations about United signing him particularly at the price we would pay.

I think EtH wants to build a team that can dominate possession and while Bellingham is clearly gifted I don't think he offers the control that a Pedri/Enzo Fernandes would. Having said that he liked Frenkie and Frenkie is another agent of chaos type player who transitions quickly so could be completely wrong.
I agree with you about having doubts whether he would suit a Pep midfield. But then again I had doubts about Grealish and Haaland being Pep players too!

MegadrivePerson

The hype is sickening.
It's baffling!

He's a talented player but the hype and transfer fees being mentioned make him out to be way better than he actually is!

He's worth about 60 to 70 million in my opinion. For all the talk that he's a 'generational' talent etc he could just as easily go the same way as somebody like Deli Ali and be peaking at the start of his career.

He's far too much of a risk at the £100 million plus prices being quoted. He's a centre midfielder, for that sort of money you need to be signing a match winner.

Remember the geese

It's baffling!

He's a talented player but the hype and transfer fees being mentioned make him out to be way better than he actually is!

He's worth about 60 to 70 million in my opinion. For all the talk that he's a 'generational' talent etc he could just as easily go the same way as somebody like Deli Ali and be peaking at the start of his career.

He's far too much of a risk at the £100 million plus prices being quoted. He's a centre midfielder, for that sort of money you need to be signing a match winner.
Completely agree. I think he's a good player, especially so for his age. However, the fawning over him by fans and the media is quite ridiculous. Everytime he touches the ball, commentators are creaming themselves! Yeah, £60-70m is sensible and fair in my opinion.

maverickjesus

60m is too much, the kids a carthorse. Let Liverpool spunk the money down the drain instead.

Bojan Djordjic

60m is too much, the kids a carthorse. Let Liverpool spunk the money down the drain instead.
Christ, now opinion's are going to the opposite extreme yet equally incorrect way. I'm personally not sure he's the right fit for United and the style of play we're trying to foster but he's far from a bloody carthorse. He's a teenager and is already one of England's best players for god's sake.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Christ, now opinion's are going to the opposite extreme yet equally incorrect way. I'm personally not sure he's the right fit for United and the style of play we're trying to foster but he's far from a bloody carthorse. He's a teenager and is already one of England's best players for god's sake.
I think our best chance of developing him into a force would be him playing in Bruno's spot (albeit a different role). Basically give him free reign to rampage around behind the front 3. He's not the creative passer Bruno is, but is better with the ball at his feet.

I'm just not sure he's going to have the discipline to play in a more controlled CM role at his current age. That probably comes years down the road. Either way it's an awkward fit for us at the moment (unless ETH works his magic and changes his game)

Hughie77

Rubbish v USA . Had a good game v Iran , let's see how he goes in other games . Imo Southgate will play Phillips if he's ready.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Bellingham is such a special player

its just effortless, never breaks his stride

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's clearly going to Liverpool. Sadly. Let us move on.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think our best chance of developing him into a force would be him playing in Bruno's spot (albeit a different role). Basically give him free reign to rampage around behind the front 3. He's not the creative passer Bruno is, but is better with the ball at his feet.

I'm just not sure he's going to have the discipline to play in a more controlled CM role at his current age. That probably comes years down the road. Either way it's an awkward fit for us at the moment (unless ETH works his magic and changes his game)
Yep running the show vs Senegal in the free roam Bruno role high up the pitch. His carrying ability blows Bruno’s out of the water and he’s better in his decision making even if he’s not as creative of a passer

Status
Not open for further replies.