Jude Bellingham | Signed for Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This is what it comes down to for me as well. Granted I do not watch him at Dortmund, but for England his best work has come in a similar role/similar areas to the ones that we occupy with Bruno, and I can't see either of them not wanting to be a starter, so it does feel like a no go for us.
It would actually be a daft move on our behalf if we signed him whilst also having Bruno Fernandes in our first team plans. This would be a similar move to when Solskjaer signed Fernandes (final third player) whilst also seeing Pogba as a first team player. When in reality we needed a midfielder who had the ability to dictate play from deeper and be that high volume passer who also provided technical security in possession along with the ability to thread the lines and evade/resist the opponent's coordinated pressing game. And after Solskjaer had signed Fernandes, it caused a imbalance in midfield and we still needed that deep roaming playmaker. And if we end up signing Bellingham, we would still need to sign the midfielder I've described above. So if the idea is to keep Fernandes, then we should stay away from Bellingham.

And just to add to the earlier posts about the England national team not producing deep lying or deep roaming playmakers. England in the past have had the likes of Scholes and Carrick, who weren't utilised effectively or in Carrick's case wasn't used at all. But if the Spanish or the Dutch had the choice of Gerrard, Lampard or Carrick, Scholes, they would pick Carrick, Scholes every single time due to the Spanish and Dutch adhering to the positional play principles that were brought forth by Rinus Michels. And that approach was implemented with the aim of dominating all phases of play, especially in possession. So technical ability on the ball was the key component in selecting players to execute the idea starting from the first phase, which is in the defensive third.

England do have a number of very interesting young teens who look like they could develop into that deep roaming playmaker role. United have Kobbie Mainoo and Arsenal have Charlie Patino, and I'm sure there's many more that I don't know about. But Bellingham isn't that player in a deeper role and it would be extremely daft to sign him for a ridiculous amount of money, only for it to then dawn on us that our midfield is still imbalanced and we still need a proper midfield metronome who can effectively operate from a deeper role without compromising on the defensive side of the game.

Erik the Red

Apparently we are now back in the race for Bellingham.

Personally, if we were to go all out for a 19 year old from Germany, I would prefer Jamal Musiala, and maybe he would also like to return to England...??? I think he is the better player, and also fits the ETH style better.

croadyman

Personally, if we were to go all out for a 19 year old from Germany, I would prefer Jamal Musiala, and maybe he would also like to return to England...??? I think he is the better player, and also fits the ETH style better.
Not convinced we were in race anyway at €150m

Rolaholic

One of the best B2B mids the PL has ever seen thinks he's a B2B

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Unfortunately he's a Gerrard fanboy so the Scousers will probably use him as a cheerleader to win it.

We just have to hope Dortmund can hang onto him long enough that we show we are a serious side once again.

I'd have him next to Casemiro in a box to box role immediately.

romufc

Unfortunately he's a Gerrard fanboy so the Scousers will probably use him as a cheerleader to win it.

We just have to hope Dortmund can hang onto him long enough that we show we are a serious side once again.

I'd have him next to Casemiro in a box to box role immediately.
Yep, I cannot see him going anywhere but Liverpool.

There is no smoke without fire, alot of noise that Liverpool are leading the chase.

We need to make sure we dont spend our efforts trying to sign him when his mind is made up, we need to target players we can get.

RVN1991

For the price of one Bellingham, we can get two of FDJ, Enzo Fernandez or Moises Caicedo to go alongside Casemiro and Eriksen, and have our entire midfield sorted.
The same FDJ we begged to join us all summer to absolutely zero avail? Makes sense.

Trezeguet17

I don‘t know if there is a more unattainable player in world football right now than him

D-o-m-i-n-i-k

Which Liverpool owners will pay the 150m transfer fee for him - The current owners or the new owners?

Kaos

Can Liverpool afford him? They already spunked £100million on the Uruguayan Andy Carroll. Can they afford a similar amount for Bellingham... especially if they dont make the CL next season? Or are they banking on new owners giving them some financial reprieve?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

feck
Bellingham has been all over 'Hendo' and 'Trent'. Its pretty obvious where his head's at.

Its not even worth getting that bent out of shape about.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Bellingham has been all over 'Hendo' and 'Trent'. Its pretty obvious where his head's at.

Its not even worth getting that bent out of shape about.
Why is that in ' ' ? It's his name.

LuckyScout78

If not the best. One of the best offensive box to box cm player. The creative, offensive and attacking part of the game and team playing.

The level of all offensive and creative abilities are really high. He scored really high level on all those level. Include mental abilities. No doubt about it. Clear as day.

Levi1

Am I the only one here who thinks he's a bit overrated? He seems like a good player, very talented, sure. Reminds me of Pogba. But not a E150 million player for crying out loud.
Also, seems fewer teams have much need for a box to box player these days. Most opt instead for a combination of defensive holding players, playmakers, and long range passers. Just my 2 cents

The White Pele

Am I the only one here who thinks he's a bit overrated? He seems like a good player, very talented, sure. Reminds me of Pogba. But not a E150 million player for crying out loud.
Also, seems fewer teams have much need for a box to box player these days. Most opt instead for a combination of defensive holding players, playmakers, and long range passers. Just my 2 cents
Not sure if he’s overrated but when certain pundits say “he can do everything” or “he’s complete” or “he’s got a better all round game than x,y,z” I’m not so sure.

We’ve not seen him play deep often enough to know he could be a top defensive midfield player.

I’ve also not seen him sit in midfield and dictate a game with his passing range.

He is world class box-to-box and possesses all the tools to be that type of player. He’s great at getting round the pitch and breaking up play and with the ball he can run, beat a man, has mature decision making, good vision, weight of pass and has the composure and ability to finish in the final third.

All of the latter suggests he is best utilised as an attacking midfield player.

In short, an amazing player and not overrated in my opinion in terms of his level but perhaps overrated on his “completeness”.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The French game against a half-decent midfield will give a better assessment of where Bellingham is at against one of the most highly rated youngsters on the planet. He’s done well so far, but this is where actual adversity potentially enters the fray.

Mmm-Qatarian

I confess I don't know a huge amount about Bellingham but from what I have seen I'm in the camp that isn't entirely sure where he fits in our side right now. It seems to me that we'd just be signing Bellingham because he's a very talented young player rather than because he addresses a need that we have, and I'm not sure whether that's particularly wise given that he'd cost a hell of a lot of money and we have areas we do actually need to reinforce.

IRELANDUNITED

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t go to Liverpool but I’d also be surprised if he hasn’t then joined Barca, Madrid or PSG by the time he’s 24/25

IRELANDUNITED

Not sure if he’s overrated but when certain pundits say “he can do everything” or “he’s complete” or “he’s got a better all round game than x,y,z” I’m not so sure.

We’ve not seen him play deep often enough to know he could be a top defensive midfield player.

I’ve also not seen him sit in midfield and dictate a game with his passing
I remember watching a sky sports panel talking about Ross Barkley using these exact same phrases. I’m not saying I expect Jude to go the same way, but I certainly wouldn’t measure my opinion of him by what English pundits say about him.

cpresc

I remember watching a sky sports panel talking about Ross Barkley using these exact same phrases. I’m not saying I expect Jude to go the same way, but I certainly wouldn’t measure my opinion of him by what English pundits say about him.
To be fair, Ross Barkley was absolute quality when he first hit the scene BUT he never displayed the intelligence, leadership, humility or professionalism that Bellingham is already showing.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They’re man marking him off the pitch. I remember when Sancho was hanging out with Rashford and Lingard during England duty while he was at Dortmund.
In fairness Sancho spent his youth at City so he probably already knew Rashford and Lingard from around Manchester

pascell

Can't say I'm too fussed we've missed out on him, I feel Mainoo is going to explode onto the scene soon enough and he'll more than make up for missing out on Bellingham.

brian017

There’s going to a lot of pressure on him. The Liverpool fans I’ve seen on SM are pinning their entire hopes on him

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Can't say I'm too fussed we've missed out on him, I feel Mainoo is going to explode onto the scene soon enough and he'll more than make up for missing out on Bellingham.
RAWK-worthy comment right there

Rolaholic

There’s going to a lot of pressure on him. The Liverpool fans I’ve seen on SM are pinning their entire hopes on him
The pressure coming off a strong world cup and record fee will be astronomical if he comes back home to England.

He's the most hyped English prospect in years. It's why as crazy as it would sound, he might be better off going to one of the big Spanish clubs or Paris instead first. He'll get more leeway and time to adjust/develop further there than he will under the microscope constantly back in the Premier League.

He'll be expected to hit the ground running immediately in England.

It sounds like he's a confident lad and his family seem to be swaying him towards a return home though so it looks like he'll be heading straight into the pressure cooker much sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.