Position: Defender - Centre-Back
Foot: Right
Current club: Sevilla FC

Contract expires: Jun 30, 2024
Outfitter: Puma​

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Need him to partner Maguire because Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness.

passing-wind

He's been described from outer circles as one of the best defenders in La Liga and said to be better than Upamecano (the people providing the summary's are usually accurate). I've seen very little of him but the games watched excellent at distributing the ball and good tackling from odd angles. I was waiting for someone to make a thread we should be all over him.

OleGunnar20

Can't say I've seen much of him. He's very short for a centre half, what's he like in the air?

Surely we want an upgrade on the lindelof / Bailly weakness there in any big money CB signing.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Is Phil Jones a free agent in the summer ?
And would fans be happy for United to part ways with Baily if we were certain to bring in Kounde ?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s top drawer. Was brilliant last season. Not the tallest but can leap.

Andersonson

Is Phil Jones a free agent in the summer ?
And would fans be happy for United to part ways with Baily if we were certain to bring in Kounde ?
Phil has a couple of years left. Bailly could easily be sold for all I care. Same with Jones. We need quality

Ekeke

Yes please. He isnt that big but he leaps high and wins the most aerials for his team. Last season he won 3.2 per game on average, this season its 2.9. Thats with perhaps a few less balls going into the air in spain.

After Maguire, Lindelof is our 2nd highest with 2.5 on average

So dealing with the ball in the air is one of the things Kounde is better at

Bondi77

What garbage!
No way we will sign a Hobbit to play CB in the Premier League.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes please. He isnt that big but he leaps high and wins the most aerials for his team. Last season he won 3.2 per game on average, this season its 2.9. Thats with perhaps a few less balls going into the air in spain.

After Maguire, Lindelof is our 2nd highest with 2.5 on average

So dealing with the ball in the air is one of the things Kounde is better at
Wins 54% of his aerial duels in the league. That's not great...

More to the point, he is quite strong for his size but he relies almost entirely on his quickness and agility. That works in a league where he doesn't have to face behemoths who are allowed to just maul him on a semi-regular basis...

Ekeke

Wins 54% of his aerial duels in the league. That's not great...

More to the point, he is quite strong for his size but he relies almost entirely on his quickness and agility. That works in a league where he doesn't have to face behemoths who are allowed to just maul him on a semi-regular basis...

62.8% this season from the highest volume of attempts in his team. Also you dont have to win every aerial duel to deal with it, as long as enough pressure is applied to make sure the opponent cant get a clean chance at goal.

Either way last season Kounde had 74.5% per 90 mins which is very good and slightly above Maguire's 74.4% this season and 73.7% last season. He was also 4th most in La Liga above his partner Diego Carlos, Lenglet at Barcelona and Raphael Varane at Madrid.

Van Dijk had 81%

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Pretty sure he got sent off for an absolute horror tackle in a pre season friendly against Liverpool, so I'm sold.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Judging by some of the comments and opinions in the transfer forum, I would think we have fulltime scouts on the forum. By fulltime, I mean some posters never sleep and watch football from every league in the world 24/7.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I would have been quite happy for City to sign Kounde when we were needing a CB last summer but went for Ruben Diaz instead.
Wouldn’t be too worried about his height as some players have the athleticism to compensate for this and I believe that he’s one of them.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I had never heard of him before this thread. Anyway, watching the short highlight youtube video, I concluded he would be better off learning to play as a defensive midfielder with that passing range.

Anyway, I thought Ole was looking for a left-footed Centre-back?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I had never heard of him before this thread. Anyway, watching the short highlight youtube video, I concluded he would be better off learning to play as a defensive midfielder with that passing range.

Anyway, I thought Ole was looking for a left-footed Centre-back?
He literally played against us last season in a Cup semi.

dev1l

I know he has a good leap but looking at his heading stats (54%, quoted over here), we ll end up having same concerns we have with Lindelof.
Still one of the best options amongst those being mentioned.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

62.8% this season from the highest volume of attempts in his team. Also you dont have to win every aerial duel to deal with it, as long as enough pressure is applied to make sure the opponent cant get a clean chance at goal.

Either way last season Kounde had 74.5% per 90 mins which is very good and slightly above Maguire's 74.4% this season and 73.7% last season. He was also 4th most in La Liga above his partner Diego Carlos, Lenglet at Barcelona and Raphael Varane at Madrid.

Van Dijk had 81%
Interesting.

I also think that a CB that lacks height and still do well at a high level is very likely to be extremely good. First and foremost, he will probably be really good at at something else. Second, he will use his head (and by that, I mean brain) to compensate. Third, peoples cognitive bias against a shorty will force him to always prove himself.

You could almost compare it to being a women/man in business dominated by men/women. If that person succeed, she/he is likely to be very good.

Btw, notice how fbref and whoscored differ? A bit weird, right?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My memory is awful. Besides, my focus is generally on our players whilst watching games.
Yea that’s true, same for most of us I guess.

He did have a particularly high profile involvement though as there was quite a lot of debate about whether the throw-in Sevilla eventually scored their first from should have been theirs at all as it touched his head on its way out. That said, can see how it was just another white shirt to you with the intensity of the game :lol:

Sparky Rhiwabon

Is this another “value punt” at a CB? Brought to you by the scouts that got us Rojo, Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling, etc?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Full Name: Jules Koundé
Date of Birth: Nov 12, 1998 (22)
Nationality: France

Other Nationalities: Benin

Height: 178cm
Position: Defender - Centre-Back
Foot: Right
Current club: Sevilla FC

Contract expires: Jun 30, 2024
Outfitter: Puma​
A 1.78 CB? He better have a leap like Cannavaro then because he’s shorter than Gary Neville

Status
Not open for further replies.