Jules Koundé | Signs for Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yes, I'd like a comprehensive analysis and post mortem report on all those games. I want it written and on my desk by this afternoon, and I don't accept any excuses like "your dog ate it".
:lol: Yes sir!
Being dishonest just to console yourself in the argument is pointless, but either way, it doesn’t really matter whether you are honest or no because I believe the issue here is that you don’t understand the problem with our centre back. Think of why Lindelof and Maguire cannot work together not just focus on Lindelof alone. They both are not mobile centre back and passive, they are too similar as Lindelof strength doesn’t compliment Maguire’s weakness at all while Maguire strength doesn’t compliment Lindelof’s weakness apart from the physical strength and the aerial presence.

To put it in short, you can’t play those two together.

Kounde has pace and aggressiveness (not fully aggressive like Bailly but he still able to play both aggressive and passive CB and he also can commit towards the ball rather than wait like Lindelof/Maguire), these compliment Maguire’s weakness. On top of it, he is a better ball playing centre back than lindelof (not talking about dribble but ball distribution is playing more risky passes and long ball, check stats below) and he is physically stronger and more muscular than Lindelof (check pic below). If you watch him, you should know these. He’s very good with his one on one, he’s not just good in positioning and decision making but he also combine those with his pace to be better than Lindelof in one on one.

I’m not being dishonest if you really want I can list you the games I just found it really funny that it was one more than you’d watched hence the “you’ll laugh”.

I understand the issue we need a faster, stronger, less passive, better on the ball, composed and better in the air CB than Lindelof. I just don’t think you’re going to find anyone who ticks all those boxes so you have to prioritise based on our weak areas. My pick would be Konate as I think he covers as many as Kounde but has a better physical build for the PL.

I think Kounde (as I’ve said many times) is a really good CB for La Liga. Not Manchester United. We probably actually agree on his playstyle more than we disagree but I just think knowing what our clubs shortcomings have been Kounde and Maguire I’m not sure would work.

I think Kounde isn’t quite that CB yet to make us title challengers (with other signings)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Would you sign a young Fabio Cannavaro?
The short answer to that is unfortunately no.

We had 5 quality CBs at United since the early 90s. Gary Pallister who was 6ft4, Ronnie Johnsen who was 6ft3, Jaap Stam who was 6ft3, Rio Ferdinand who was 6ft2+ and Nemanja Vidic who was 6ft3. Is that a coincidence? The answer is no. Those extra inches were needed.

Now if the EPL decides to stress on the need to play real football rather then a mix of football, rugby, boxing and wrestling then short CBs will thrive with us. Unfortunately till then there will be the likes of Big Sam managing EPL sides whose only plan is to play 6ft+ thugs upfront and spray crosses and long balls at them. That will require tall and physical CBs that can counter them. I was fortunate enough to watch Cannavaro and Baresi play in their prime. However I assure you that they couldn't counter for balls that they can't possibly reach especially if referees allowed 6ft+ thugs to shove an arm at their face without any impunity.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No! The peak one however...
just saying, height isn't a big issue as long as you can jump well and position yourself correctly. There has been plenty of CB's who aren't "tall" bit still more than capable in the air.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
just saying, height isn't a big issue as long as you can jump well and position yourself correctly. There has been plenty of CB's who aren't "tall" bit still more than capable in the air.
There was a chance Mane had yesterday where he got on the end of a cross that was stood up towards the far post and nearly scored. Towered over 6'2" Mukiele in the process despite only being 5'9" himself.

Proof if ever that things such as vertical leap, physical strength and body position are just as important as being tall.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There was a chance Mane had yesterday where he got on the end of a cross that was stood up towards the far post and nearly scored. Towered over 6'2" Mukiele in the process despite only being 5'9" himself.

Proof if ever that things such as vertical leap, physical strength and body position are just as important as being tall.
Yep, there's also people who head the ball, or there's people who ATTACK the ball.

Look at Cristiano for instance, he's a decent height but no towering monster - yet manages to score so many headed goals.

Why? positioning, leap, timing and desire/bravery to stick his head in.

Vidic himself was a decent height but no monster compared to other strikers around in the league at that time, must people were 6ft + yet he barely ever lost a header.

Walters_19_MuFc

We had 5 quality CBs at United since the early 90s. Gary Pallister who was 6ft4, Ronnie Johnsen who was 6ft3, Jaap Stam who was 6ft3, Rio Ferdinand who was 6ft2+ and Nemanja Vidic who was 6ft3. Is that a coincidence? The answer is no. Those extra inches were needed.

That's what she said. :D

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looks a big upgrade on Lindelof. His ability on the ball looks really great. But he has to be physical enough for the PL

devilish

Yep, there's also people who head the ball, or there's people who ATTACK the ball.

Look at Cristiano for instance, he's a decent height but no towering monster - yet manages to score so many headed goals.

Why? positioning, leap, timing and desire/bravery to stick his head in.

Vidic himself was a decent height but no monster compared to other strikers around in the league at that time, must people were 6ft + yet he barely ever lost a header.
Cristiano is 6ft2, vidic is 6ft3

SwedishFish

If aerial presence is the problem with Lindelöf (a lot of the time it is for sure) then how would bringing in someone shorter than him solve that?

I just don't see how he'd be a good fit next to Maguire in the fixtures where we tend to drop points.

kode

The lad will have his audition by redcafe tonight. Interesting it is against Haaland and Sancho. after match will be interesting

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The lad will have his audition by redcafe tonight. Interesting it is against Haaland and Sancho. after match will be interesting
I think it will be a good test for him in a high pressure match against a good striker and a good side.

What I’ve seen of him in La Liga he’s a very good CB but I just don’t see him as the solution for United.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I've been banging this drum for years now and i've dedicated numerous posts to the subject.

Without repeating what i've said for a long time in its entirety, our current starting CBs don't allow us to play a 2-4-4 in possession. City and Liverpool can or have been successful in implementing the formation with their CBs, hence creating overloads in multiple offensive zones and thus putting the smaller teams to the sword.

Our teams attack would improve more with a Kounde or Konate than a RWF as things stand IMO. Because either Kounde or Konate are strong at defending the channel on their own as the RCB. That would then open up the opportunities for the RB and Right sided forward to overload the opposition with support from the right sided CM. We can't do this effectively currently and resort to dropping deeper with the double pivot and fullbacks in support of the CBs and the counter attack becomes the default setting. The counter press is also off the menu due to how deep we're.
Yeah my thoughts exactly. And you can see that we want to play that way with how high AWB and Shaw try to play these days, but in order to do so have to ask at least 2 midfielders to stay deeper to help the donkeys at the back.

davidmichael

After watching Upamecano last night and Konate not even starting because of yet another injury I struggle to see beyond Kounde as our best choice, he may be less physical than the others but that’s one of Maguire’s main strengths and we’re looking for someone to offset Maguire’s weaknesses.

Lindelof isn’t just weak but also slow and poor in the air which is why Lindelof and Maguire together doesn’t work and never will, as seen with Bailly partnering him Maguire needs someone with pace and an ability to cover in behind so we can play a high line and I think Kounde plus a pure out and out defensive midfielder with bundles of energy offsets Maguire’s weaknesses and gives us a solid foundation.

DSG

Now if the EPL decides to stress on the need to play real football rather then a mix of football, rugby, boxing and wrestling then short CBs will thrive with us. Unfortunately till then there will be the likes of Big Sam managing EPL sides whose only plan is to play 6ft+ thugs upfront and spray crosses and long balls at them. That will require tall and physical CBs that can counter them. I was fortunate enough to watch Cannavaro and Baresi play in their prime. However I assure you that they couldn't counter for balls that they can't possibly reach especially if referees allowed 6ft+ thugs to shove an arm at their face without any impunity.
I think you are confusing height with good in the air. Sergio Ramos is just 6ft, but is outstanding in the air, one of the best of all time.

Another consideration is that the game has changed even in the EPL. Aguero, Aubameyang, Werner are all so quick and a Gary Pallister would have serious issues dealing with those types.

RUCK4444

After watching Upamecano last night and Konate not even starting because of yet another injury I struggle to see beyond Kounde as our best choice, he may be less physical than the others but that’s one of Maguire’s main strengths and we’re looking for someone to offset Maguire’s weaknesses.

Lindelof isn’t just weak but also slow and poor in the air which is why Lindelof and Maguire together doesn’t work and never will, as seen with Bailly partnering him Maguire needs someone with pace and an ability to cover in behind so we can play a high line and I think Kounde plus a pure out and out defensive midfielder with bundles of energy offsets Maguire’s weaknesses and gives us a solid foundation.
Agree. Kounde and a proper DM would improve us massively imo.

I really like the look of Kounde, quick strong and technically very good with the ball. I get a feeling he would partner Maguire very well.

RUCK4444

I think you are confusing height with good in the air. Sergio Ramos is just 6ft, but is outstanding in the air, one of the best of all time.

Another consideration is that the game has changed even in the EPL. Aguero, Aubameyang, Werner are all so quick and a Gary Pallister would have serious issues dealing with those types.
Yeah you need to factor in athleticism, you can be shorter but have a much better leap than taller players, a good leap amounts to more than a few inches.

Take fellaini as an example, he scored headers from being tall but his leap was feckin awful, he would repeatedly lose headers in the middle of the pitch against smaller players as he jumped about 1 inch off the ground. (Which infuriated me immensely might I add.)

Somebody like Ramos can out leap most of his peers at CB. In fact if I were a CB I’d prefer to be a tad shorter and more athletic/agile to make up for that, if I had the choice.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Sergio Ramos is actually only at the 41st percentile for aerial win %, only wins 61% of aerial duels. Hes great at attacking set pieces and getting the important goals... but statistically he is pretty awful at aerial duels overall.

RkkMan

Pilger is also reporting in the piece below that the two targets are Kounde and Konate. Konate's injury history may go against him or Sevilla's asking price may be deemed too high by the club.

I'm beyond caring now, just hope Ole gets the player he desires.

Agree on Konate I think he`ll go to LFC or Chelsea but Kounde`s fee will be circa 60-70m whilst its kind of high Utd will factor in CB is a HUGE need and priority like 2019, there`s a lack of actual good CBs on the market and he`s still young I genuinely think we`ll pay up for him but it`ll be like Maguire offer below the asking price then eventually pay up as time progresses

Teja

Agree with this. Need a pacy CB to play the high line and you need to maintain the high line against teams that sit deep to win the ball back quickly. I think this is a bigger issue than Lindelof being shit at heading.

mav_9me

I think height is less important than being physical, strong and the key imo willingness/desire to go for the ball. You can see that with Lindelof, he has height but lacks all the aforementioned. I think you can see that with AWB too, tall but is not a good header, poor positionally and lacking desire imo.

Just a general point. I dont know enough about Kounde.

I suppose Konate is the option who ticks everything but then he is supposedly injury prone.

Either way as long as we try to upgrade on Lindelof.

mav_9me

Agree with this. Need a pacy CB to play the high line and you need to maintain the high line against teams that sit deep to win the ball back quickly. I think this is a bigger issue than Lindelof being shit at heading.
Also agree with this. An aggressive, pacy CB who might let you play a higher line is another way of dealing with this inability to deal with the WestBrom/Burnley style of play.

passing-wind

Scholes made a good point in some comments in that article above that the defender needs to be more than decent in the air. If we get another Maguire beside Maguire the defence will be even worse as we won't dictate possession having to be conservative about a high line. We will go into games with even more pragmatism.

I would be slightly more apprehensive of all this but the fact he's getting a solid credible reputation out of Spain and the extent city sought him immediately after failing Koulabily I think there's less of a perceived element of risk.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They`d have to offload Varane first with Alaba going there to replace Ramos
Alaba isn't gonna replace Ramos and he prefers playing in midfield.

Real Madrid will likely sign one of Kounde or Pau Torres IMO.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Alaba isn't gonna replace Ramos and he prefers playing in midfield.

Real Madrid will likely sign one of Kounde or Pau Torres IMO.
I reckon you’re right on Madrid. Pau for me seems more likely mainly because I think he’s a cheaper option.

manuchamp88

We're not in for Ramon according to Phil Brown, so we've gotta be after either Kounde, Varane or Torres in terms of top defenders. Doubt Madrid can afford Kounde so they'll probably go after Torres. Leaves us with either Kounde or Varane. We could do a swap with Madrid, Pogba for Varane, but there's a rumour we could do that for Valverde.

izec

Jules is the one, Torres is too weak. A faster and better on the ball Lindelöf, but we need someone that can defend brilliantly without fear. Jules has it all, the leap and timing make up for not being 1.98m

devilish

Ramos plays in a league were proper football is played. The sort of thuggery the likes of Lindelof/Maguire experienced against WBA would land the opponent in question a straight red. Long story short a CB can leap like a salmon but it would be pointless until strikers are allowed to shove an arm straight to their face just before they jump hence breaking any momentum. In such circumstances inches is needed. There's a reason why all our top CBs were 6ft2+ and its the same reason why the current best CBs are 6ft2-6ft3 (Van Dijk, Dias, Stones, Maguire, Fofana, Gabriel etc)

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Ramos plays in a league were proper football is played. The sort of thuggery the likes of Lindelof/Maguire experienced against WBA would land the opponent in question a straight red. Long story short a CB can leap like a salmon but it would be pointless until strikers are allowed to shove an arm straight to their face just before they jump hence breaking any momentum. In such circumstances inches is needed. There's a reason why all our top CBs were 6ft2+ and its the same reason why the current best CBs are 6ft2-6ft3 (Van Dijk, Dias, Stones, Maguire, Fofana, Gabriel etc)
Really great point. This isn’t standing vertical jump it’s a live physical game where natural height in a physical battle when you can’t get your clean leap absolutely comes into it.

I really like Kounde but I agree with you here there is absolutely a reason all of the “best” in the PL are around that height as well as having either pace or ball playing ability or both.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’m not being dishonest if you really want I can list you the games I just found it really funny that it was one more than you’d watched hence the “you’ll laugh”.

I understand the issue we need a faster, stronger, less passive, better on the ball, composed and better in the air CB than Lindelof. I just don’t think you’re going to find anyone who ticks all those boxes so you have to prioritise based on our weak areas. My pick would be Konate as I think he covers as many as Kounde but has a better physical build for the PL.

I think Kounde (as I’ve said many times) is a really good CB for La Liga. Not Manchester United. We probably actually agree on his playstyle more than we disagree but I just think knowing what our clubs shortcomings have been Kounde and Maguire I’m not sure would work.

I think Kounde isn’t quite that CB yet to make us title challengers (with other signings)
I don't know why are you still focusing on Lindelof alone. I just told you from my previous post that the problem of United centre back is not Lindelof but the partnership of Lindelof & Maguire.

Get Konate means you get a likely injury prone, thus why there are people pick Kounde over Konate because the point is to find someone who can stay fit to compliment the guy we spent 80m. Kounde has pace, physically strong, can be both passive and aggressive defender, better ball playing than Lindelof and still capable in the air so what Kounde offers is something to compliment Maguire. So go on, feel free to name all those games you watched this season, you are just wasting time without making progress if you only saying I can list you the games for two posts in a row.

croadyman

Agree. Kounde and a proper DM would improve us massively imo.

I really like the look of Kounde, quick strong and technically very good with the ball. I get a feeling he would partner Maguire very well.
The big question is have we got the cash to get a proper DM though, really hope we do look outside of the premier league at options like Zakaria, Locatelli because the likes of Rice/Ndidi will cost us big money. Like others have said tonight will be a big test for Kounde against one of the best strikers in the world right now and a creative winger finding his mojo again.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don't know why are you still focusing on Lindelof alone. I just told you from my previous post that the problem of United centre back is not Lindelof but the partnership of Lindelof & Maguire.

Get Konate means you get a likely injury prone, thus why there are people pick Kounde over Konate because the point is to find someone who can stay fit to compliment the guy we spent 80m. Kounde has pace, physically strong, can be both passive and aggressive defender, better ball playing than Lindelof and still capable in the air so what Kounde offers is something to compliment Maguire. So go on, feel free to name all those games you watched this season, you are just wasting time without making progress if you only saying I can list you the games for two posts in a row.
The club aren’t going to replace Maguire. Hence the focus on Lindelof.

Konate has his injury concerns but beyond that ticks more boxes. Look at the top CBS in the PL how many are his height?

He may have a good uncontested leap but that’s not how the PL works. Do you think Kounde will come in and that’s our defence sorted?

Games I’ve seen of Sevilla this season (not including tonight)
  1. Barcelona (La Liga)
  2. Athletic Bilbao (La Liga)
  3. Real Madrid (La Liga)
  4. Stadde Rennais x2 (Champions League)
  5. Real Sociadad (La Liga)
  6. Atletico Madrid (La Liga)
  7. Barcelona (Copa Del Rey)

devilish

Really great point. This isn’t standing vertical jump it’s a live physical game where natural height in a physical battle when you can’t get your clean leap absolutely comes into it.

I really like Kounde but I agree with you here there is absolutely a reason all of the “best” in the PL are around that height as well as having either pace or ball playing ability or both.
Finally someone who gets it.

Some might think that I am an old fashioned type of fan who loves the hard tackling direct 'football'/mess the likes of Souness and Big Sam loves. That can't be further then the truth. I was raised watching the likes of Franco Baresi, Pietro Vierchowod and Fabio Cannavaro playing football, all of which were below the 6ft mark. Unfortunately I can't see any of them cutting it in the EPL.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Strikers are allowed to do that because the defender is too soft, easily outmuscled, not aggressive enough and doesn't go towards the ball when in the air. If you are strong, be more aggressive and always commit or going towards the ball instead of just waiting the ball come at you then you would win the ball or get a free kick from being fouled, this is what makes Puyol and Cannavaro still good in the air, they know what to do to handle aerial duel. If you are the opposite then referee and VAR will consider it as not foul but think the defender is just being weak. Getting outjumped by tall players like DCL or Crouch is understandable, but being outmuscled and not being aggressive is the problem.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Finally someone who gets it.

Some might think that I am an old fashioned type of fan who loves the hard tackling direct 'football'/mess the likes of Souness and Big Sam loves. That can't be further then the truth. I was raised watching the likes of Franco Baresi, Pietro Vierchowod and Fabio Cannavaro playing football, all of which were below the 6ft mark. Unfortunately I can't see any of them cutting it in the EPL.
Again that’s the accusation thrown at anyone suggesting height is important but it’s not as if we’re saying we just want a tall player or Vestegaard would be suggested it’s about having the physical ability and technical on some level.

Players can be great CBs and not be suited to Manchester United in the PL.

devilish

Strikers are allowed to do that because the defender is too soft, easily outmuscled, not aggressive enough and doesn't go towards the ball when in the air. If you are strong, be more aggressive and always commit or going towards the ball instead of just waiting the ball come at you then you would win the ball or get a free kick from being fouled, this is what makes Puyol and Cannavaro still good in the air, they know what to do to handle aerial duel. If you are the opposite then referee and VAR will consider it as not foul but think the defender is just being weak. Getting outjumped by tall players like DCL or Crouch is understandable, but being outmuscled and not being aggressive is the problem.
Strikers are allowed to do that because refs turn a blind eye to it. I assure you that the likes of Big Sam would never make it in Spain or in Italy. Well, he might manage some mix martial artist but not a football club

Status
Not open for further replies.