Jules Koundé | Signs for Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I can understand the concerns in regard to his height but then on the other hand with Konate there are worries about his fitness so finding someone who ticks all boxes is going to be a very tricky test

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The club aren’t going to replace Maguire. Hence the focus on Lindelof.

Konate has his injury concerns but beyond that ticks more boxes. Look at the top CBS in the PL how many are his height?

He may have a good uncontested leap but that’s not how the PL works. Do you think Kounde will come in and that’s our defence sorted?

Games I’ve seen of Sevilla this season (not including tonight)
  1. Barcelona (La Liga)
  2. Athletic Bilbao (La Liga)
  3. Real Madrid (La Liga)
  4. Stadde Rennais x2 (Champions League)
  5. Real Sociadad (La Liga)
  6. Atletico Madrid (La Liga)
  7. Barcelona (Copa Del Rey)
The club are going to play Maguire. Hence the focus shouldn't be on Lindelof but focus on aspects how to compliment Maguire. Agree?

If you can't stay fit then it's not ticking more boxes right? And that's why you need to understand why some people pick Kounde over Konate. Very rare you can find short CB and still capable in the air, that's why it's very rare to find one but doesn't mean those rare ones cannot play in PL because Puyol & Cannavaro would still be top CB in PL. I think Kounde is in the similar same rare of those short CB and he will compliment Maguire.

Sanche7

If it comes down to Konate or Kounde, unless we are 100% sure about Konate's fitness, I would go for Kounde. But then again, at 40 million Euros?, Konate would be a good deal if he can stay fit. CB is the most important signing we are going to maie this summer IMO and our success or failure next season will depend to a large extent on how well our new CB plays. So I hope we don't screw this up

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Strikers are allowed to do that because refs turn a blind eye to it. I assure you that the likes of Big Sam would never make it in Spain or in Italy. Well, he might manage some mix martial artist but not a football club
I disagree. As defender you need to be strong and aggressive to go towards the ball not being soft and just waiting the ball come at you because it's recipe of disaster.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I can understand the concerns in regard to his height but then on the other hand with Konate there are worries about his fitness so finding someone who ticks all boxes is going to be a very tricky test
Yeah, I never understand that as well. If people want to find CB who ticks all boxes then shouldn't pick Konate since he also has major issue. A major issue that has been our CB problem for years. End of the day, both picks are understandable.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Agreed. We won’t find someone that ticks all of them.

Of the linked options available:
  • Konate - Injury concern
  • Kounde - Height concern
  • Torres - Pace and aerial concern (I know least about Torres)

The club are going to play Maguire. Hence the focus shouldn't be on Lindelof but focus on aspects how to compliment Maguire. Agree?

If you can't stay fit then it's not ticking more boxes right? And that's why you need to understand why some people pick Kounde over Konate. Very rare you can find short CB and still capable in the air, that's why it's very rare to find one but doesn't mean those rare ones cannot play in PL because Puyol & Cannavaro would still be top CB in PL. I think Kounde is in the similar same rare of those short CB and he will compliment Maguire.
I agree that’s why I was highlighting someone to replace Lindelof if you’re picking one of the two to swap.

I also agree with you Kounde offers a lot of complimentary characteristics for Maguire. I think he’s a good CB I just don’t think he’ll cut it in the PL at CB. I think that’s the only point on him we disagree on I just happen to think (based on current top CBs) it will be too much to overlook.

His price would also be prohibitive IMO.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree that’s why I was highlighting someone to replace Lindelof if you’re picking one of the two to swap.

I also agree with you Kounde offers a lot of complimentary characteristics for Maguire. I think he’s a good CB I just don’t think he’ll cut it in the PL at CB. I think that’s the only point on him we disagree on I just happen to think (based on current top CBs) it will be too much to overlook.

His price would also be prohibitive IMO.
The highlight shouldn't be on replacing Lindelof because it's not about replacing Lindelof, it's about how to get the best out of or compliment Maguire. Agree?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I disagree. As defender you need to be strong and aggressive to go towards the ball not being soft and just waiting the ball come at you because it's recipe of disaster.
I was watching the WBA game with two Italian mates. They were taunting me for loving rugby rather then football. The level of abuse British refs close an eye to is beyond ridiculous

DSG

Sergio Ramos is actually only at the 41st percentile for aerial win %, only wins 61% of aerial duels. Hes great at attacking set pieces and getting the important goals... but statistically he is pretty awful at aerial duels overall.
Source? this season or for his career? I am in favor of statistics, but it has to be taken as one data point vs the eye test. Almost every high pressure situation, Ramos does enough. Note that as a defender of aerial balls, your job is twofold; get a head on it, or put off an attacker enough so they can’t get a powerful strike on goal. If Chiellini shows poorly in aerial win %, then I know the stat is shit.

‘By the way, Maguire’s outstanding at winning headers at the half line, but not as great in the box. Is there a stat that covers that level of nuance?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Is he not fast then? I've barely seen him so I've got no idea.
He’s quick but that’s not the only thing we need. He’s a good player but he’s not this perfect missing piece that VVD was for Liverpool and I worry people are throwing too much hope into someone who doesn’t have the characteristics of the most successful modern CBs in the PL.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Source? this season or for his career? I am in favor of statistics, but it has to be taken as one data point vs the eye test. Almost every high pressure situation, Ramos does enough. Note that as a defender of aerial balls, your job is twofold; get a head on it, or put off an attacker enough so they can’t get a powerful strike on goal. If Chiellini shows poorly in aerial win %, then I know the stat is shit.

‘By the way, Maguire’s outstanding at winning headers at the half line, but not as great in the box. Is there a stat that covers that level of nuance?
https://fbref.com/en/players/08511d65/scout/365_euro/Sergio-Ramos-Scouting-Report
Over the past 365 days comparing top 5 leagues (but you can split up each of the past few seasons as a ranking of just individual leagues). The art of attacking corners is very different to general aerial duels in general, but this is pretty much the best data source that exists now (fbref just came out with this).

DSG

Strikers are allowed to do that because the defender is too soft, easily outmuscled, not aggressive enough and doesn't go towards the ball when in the air. If you are strong, be more aggressive and always commit or going towards the ball instead of just waiting the ball come at you then you would win the ball or get a free kick from being fouled, this is what makes Puyol and Cannavaro still good in the air, they know what to do to handle aerial duel. If you are the opposite then referee and VAR will consider it as not foul but think the defender is just being weak. Getting outjumped by tall players like DCL or Crouch is understandable, but being outmuscled and not being aggressive is the problem.
The foul on Lindelof was so clear and obvious, it’s got to be embarrassing for the refereeing crew. Sadly, if Lindelof had done what 97% of footballer do and gone down, grabbed his face and proceeded to writhe and moan, the goal would have been chalked off. I blame him and Maguire for not going ballistic on the ref for the lack of call. Same with Ole. You cannot grab someone’s face as the ball comes in. He had position and his face was pulled away.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The foul on Lindelof was so clear and obvious, it’s got to be embarrassing for the refereeing crew. Sadly, if Lindelof had done what 97% of footballer do and gone down, grabbed his face and proceeded to writhe and moan, the goal would have been chalked off. I blame him and Maguire for not going ballistic on the ref for the lack of call. Same with Ole. You cannot grab someone’s face as the ball comes in. He had position and his face was pulled away.
His face was pulled away? :lol: his eyes were covered for about .2 of second at best. Stop making silly excuses.

kidbob

Redcafe for years - "We need CBs with ability on the ball"

possible CB target shows some ability on the ball and scores a goal

"He is more suited to DM"
I'm honestly concerned by his height coming from a league that values ball playing over Burnley like styles of being bombarded against tall bruising centre forwards. Beyond that I actually think he has the attributes we need for a Pogba partner more than any other available CDM I have seen. Thus I actually think it would be easier for us to sign him as a CDM and then sign a different player for CB that has the ball playing ability and compliments Maguire well. For me their is a huge shortage of players that could do the job in midfield that Kounde seems like he could. Also if he really is good in the air then he and the new CB should give us a huge help in defending set pieces, which is a real bad problem for us.

Mainoldo

Let’s not waste more than £40m on any defender please. We want to spend money waste it on the Sancho’s and Haaland’s.

DSG

https://fbref.com/en/players/08511d65/scout/365_euro/Sergio-Ramos-Scouting-Report
Over the past 365 days comparing top 5 leagues (but you can split up each of the past few seasons as a ranking of just individual leagues). The art of attacking corners is very different to general aerial duels in general, but this is pretty much the best data source that exists now (fbref just came out with this).
And Chiellini is mid 60s as well. Maguire mid 70s. I’d still back those two over Maguire. Also, there are some serious sample size issues with these stats.

agree that corners vs aerial duels in general are quite different. Our discussion here goes back to Lindelof and a perceived lack of grit, determination and aerial prowess. Lindelof at 63.1%and 52nd percentile by the way. Thanks for sending me a new toy to play with. Kounde at 63% this year, but 74.5% the year before with a larger sample size....

DSG

His face was pulled away? :lol: his eyes were covered for about .2 of second at best. Stop making silly excuses.

I don’t see how Lindelof heads that ball with a hand over his face. It’s a foul. The time it take to foul someone is not a consideration.

Okey

Let’s not waste more than £40m on any defender please. We want to spend money waste it on the Sancho’s and Haaland’s.
I agree with this. Pick up Milenkovic and Zakaria for a relative pittance and break the bank for a marquee signing. Grealish, Sancho, Haaland are the types we should spend big on. We'll surely raise money from sales.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
And Chiellini is mid 60s as well. Maguire mid 70s. I’d still back those two over Maguire. Also, there are some serious sample size issues with these stats.

agree that corners vs aerial duels in general are quite different. Our discussion here goes back to Lindelof and a perceived lack of grit, determination and aerial prowess. Lindelof at 63.1%and 52nd percentile by the way. Thanks for sending me a new toy to play with. Kounde at 63% this year, but 74.5% the year before with a larger sample size....
Maguire is 93rd percentile, mid 70's success rate. But yeah, being average in the air isn't a deal breaker, it's just something to keep in mind. Ramos and Chiellini are/were both great defenders without being dominant in aerial duels everywhere. Hard to quantify that stat in terms of key moments, but its still very useful.

Sample size issues? How? Its the past year and breaking it up into per 90 stats and comparing it with every player in that position in the main 5 leagues and major European competition? Or you can break it up into any season since 17/18 (but that only compares and ranks players based on their own league, not all 5 leagues).
Also no problem! It just came out last week I think, but its great. Shows so much info. I find it's a lot more useful for on the ball/attacking/dribbling effectiveness/creativity information though. Stuff like ball progression, getting it into the box, xA/xG etc. It's good with pure shot stopping too, as you can look up the post shot xG as a difference of how many goals a goalkeeper actually conceded and see how much above or below expected they are.

Defensive stats are much harder to quantify due to the differences in styles, so much of it wouldn't be captured. Not all about tackles/clearances/aerial success rate.

Adam-Utd

Says someone who never played.... :lol:
Funny you say that, literally no ex professionals have said it was a foul!
It was a foul he grabbed his head, the thing he was trying to use to head it.
I’m not doubting that, but if he actually attacked the ball with the same desire the striker had he wouldn’t have been in that mess.

he doesn’t even need to actually win the header either, just stop the striker getting anything on it, but he fails to do either.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

I’m not doubting that, but if he actually attacked the ball with the same desire the striker had he wouldn’t have been in that mess.

he doesn’t even need to actually win the header either, just stop the striker getting anything on it, but he fails to do either.
Souness and many others said it was a foul.

GledTheRed

If he'd have done what the striker did it would have been a pen no doubt.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not watching the game but I noticed the team conceded 3 goals. How is he playing?
It's almost proof that no one knows what they're talking about isn't it, he's literally playing right now and not a single comment about his performance :lol:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Not watching the game but I noticed the team conceded 3 goals. How is he playing?
Haven't watched the whole game but not bad from what I've seen. Pushed forward quite a bit, seen a lot of the ball, been assured in his passing as usual. Looks to have done a decent job at least containing Haaland in the 2nd half and I don't think you can say he was at fault for any of the goals. Possibly Haaland's first but it's just fantastic play by both him and Sancho and I don't think many CBs if any do better in that situation.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He’s not really at fault for any of them but it’s not exactly been an outstanding Sevilla performance nor a solid defensive one overall.

You wouldn’t look at that game and think wow he’s outstanding and exactly what we need.

He never really came up much against Haaland (seemed to want to pin Carlos instead) so can’t really discuss physical battles and what he did do was just basic defending that you see from most CBs.

It’s one game though so not enough to either confirm or deny his talents you need to watch him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Haven't watched the whole game but not bad from what I've seen. Pushed forward quite a bit, seen a lot of the ball, been assured in his passing as usual. Looks to have done a decent job at least containing Haaland in the 2nd half and I don't think you can say he was at fault for any of the goals. Possibly Haaland's first but it's just fantastic play by both him and Sancho and I don't think many CBs if any do better in that situation.
His passing wasn’t on it tonight he’s had much better line breaking games.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's just one game but he didn't look anything special. The CB next to him was dealing with most things IMO. It also seemed like Sevilla struggled with Dortmund's quick transitions.

Adam-Utd

It's almost proof that no one knows what they're talking about isn't it, he's literally playing right now and not a single comment about his performance :lol:
It’s been a strange game, 3 goals and not involved with any of them.

1 screamer from outside the box,1 give and go by Haaland which Carlos didn’t follow, and the third was a mistake by their midfield and they got countered 3v2.

What he has shown though is some absolutely beautiful passing through the lines. His ball playing ability is clear to see.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s been a strange game, 3 goals and not involved with any of them.

1 screamer from outside the box,1 give and go by Haaland which Carlos didn’t follow, and the third was a mistake by their midfield and they got countered 3v2.

What he has shown though is some absolutely beautiful passing through the lines. His ball playing ability is clear to see.
Beautiful passing through the lines? He overhit half of them :lol:

Hes had far better passing games then tonight I wouldn’t be using that as evidence of his passing ability.

Mainoldo

He was average. Looked like he was playing right side of a back 3 and if he was white and you squinted you probably could have mistaken him for Lindelof.

Basically he’s not taking us any further to a league title under this regime. But what do I know.

kidbob

The lad is a CDM for me and it its obvious. Short, good in the tackle, can cover ground and a great passer. Nailed on CDM.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He was average. Looked like he was playing right side of a back 3 and if he was white and you squinted you probably could have mistaken him for Lindelof.

Basically he’s not taking us any further to a league title under this regime. But what do I know.
I didn’t want to be the one to say you could have swapped him with Lindelof and not noticed the difference in performance.

It’s the exact kind of performance people would be laying into Lindelof for.

Adam-Utd

Beautiful passing through the lines? He overhit half of them :lol:

Hes had far better passing games then tonight I wouldn’t be using that as evidence of his passing ability.
He made 3-4 that Lindelof could only dream of to be fair! didn’t watch the 2nd half though so might have dropped off.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Thought he was solid tonight, minus a harmless slip that could have resulted in some danger but ended up in nothing. His passing wasn't as great as I've seen him do at times but he still has very aggressive passing from the back and always seems in control. Didn't seem to lose any of his aerial challenges but I might have missed some. Another solid outing.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He made 3-4 that Lindelof could only dream of to be fair! didn’t watch the 2nd half though so might have dropped off.
Behave. That’s not true.

Look I’ve seen enough of him to tell you that is not the passing performance you pick to show he stands out.

Status
Not open for further replies.