Jules Koundé | Signs for Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodzy

Looks like the media have got wind of this now, always thought this one would Kounde the radar

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My immediate thoughts based on never having heard of him before:

1) He's short for a CB and him winning more aerial duels than anyone else in his team might be a result of teams targeting him aerially.

2) He must therefore be generally really good if teams are willing to overlook a basic height weakness and value him at such a high price.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One of those things, isn’t it? We clearly need an established and proven CB, but there really aren’t many out there. So we’ll have to go big on one of these young but talented ones — just like we did for Bailly and Lindelof.

Here’s hoping the next one actually works, and we can stop the cycle of constantly buying CBs for a little while.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think OGS has played Pogba deep due to his passing. Having a CB that could make those type of passes would be important for him. I think this is what Liverpool miss the most from van Dijk now.

izec

Top quality IMO, absolutely convinced by him. Still only 22.

Better than Upamecano, Kounde is class

RUCK4444

I had never heard of him before this thread. Anyway, watching the short highlight youtube video, I concluded he would be better off learning to play as a defensive midfielder with that passing range.

Anyway, I thought Ole was looking for a left-footed Centre-back?
That’s a good point about his potential to be a DM.

How easy would it be for a CB to transition into DM, in theory it seems easy when you can tackle and pass like this lad.

If he could use his attributes as a DM he would be perfect for what we need. :D

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He looked good when we played them. I can’t remember what he looked good at, just that he looked good.

Devil may care

He has the ideal qualities to partner Maguire, I think the height aspect is overstated, he has a good leap and there aren't as many teams with Duncan Ferguson type #9's in the PL these days.

I had never heard of him before this thread. Anyway, watching the short highlight youtube video, I concluded he would be better off learning to play as a defensive midfielder with that passing range.

Anyway, I thought Ole was looking for a left-footed Centre-back?
I think fans figured Ole wanted a LCB as Maguire is right footed, but Maguire has been made such a main part of Ole's plan that if he wanted to play on the right of the partnership he already would be and Lindelof would be LCB as he played there for Benfica and for us when he partnered Smalling. I think Maguire likes playing LCB as he can drive inwards and play that crossfield ball to the RW.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He looked good when we played them. I can’t remember what he looked good at, just that he looked good.
Agreed. He was great even though I’d never even heard of him until 24 hrs ago.

Get it done

Grande

That’s a good point about his potential to be a DM.

How easy would it be for a CB to transition into DM, in theory it seems easy when you can tackle and pass like this lad.

If he could use his attributes as a DM he would be perfect for what we need. :D
In theory it’s easy, hence why you see it suggested so often in fan forum’s.

In practice it’s difficult, which is why so many of the worlds best DM’s are transitioned CB’s. :)

izec

Do you think at 1.78 he isn’t too short?
He is good in the air for someone so small, better than any CB we have except Maguire.

More importantly, he would be our best CB at defending and passing, not even close there.

Him and Maguire together would be mint

Devil81

Was really impressed with him when we played them in the Semi of the Europa.

I know that's only one game but he did stand out.

Conor

Who was the last truly top class CB to play in the league at his height? It's a pretty big gamble to have someone that small come in.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think OGS has played Pogba deep due to his passing. Having a CB that could make those type of passes would be important for him. I think this is what Liverpool miss the most from van Dijk now.
Lindelof regularly makes those passes.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Good point.

We've only seen a short video of him passing long. Does he consistently deliver those long passes like van Dijk?

Anyway, these long passes would only work when teams play high up the pitch. We generally have an issue with teams flooding the midfield and defence with a bank of 5 and 4. Go back a few years when we had Lukaku and Zlatan. Pogba was constantly playing those long balls due to the type of forwards we had in the team. Even, Maguire has now stopped these long passes which he was playing with great effect when he played for Leicester with Vardy.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He and Laird are the same height! Funny, Kounde seems massive and Laird looks small

Rocknrolla69er

Remember him against us last season, he impressed me with his quiet air of authority, while Diego Carlos ran around like a lunatic sything people down, this lad was cool calm and composed, played with a lot of intelligence, the rolls Royce type of defender Rio was.

I think it'd be an astute signing, although I dread him in the air against the likes of Salah, Sterling, Aguero, Vardy, Ings etc the days of huge lumps of a striker are over, I think we're too hung up on physical attributes in this country, and his lad isn't tiny by any means, his stats totally put to bed the heighht doubts.

At £50m it'd be a solid signing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's absolutely quality. City tried to buy him but opted for Dias instead for less money.

croadyman

He's absolutely quality. City tried to buy him but opted for Dias instead for less money.
Really hope we are interested in either this guy or Konate but until I hear from the usual suspects will reserve judgement

Andersons Dietician

Looked alright when we played them. Certainly better than his partner who everyone was purring about at the time but he was still throwing himself all over the shop constantly going to ground so that isn’t a particularly great trait.

passing-wind

What garbage!
No way we will sign a Hobbit to play CB in the Premier League.
Size really isn't of a massive importance especially with a virtual living example in Lindelof. Who at around 6'2 would have you think he's closer to 5'11 in his presence and physicality. Puyol is exactly the same height as Kounde to my knowledge, that's not a comparison but if you know how to read the play, position yourself and manoeuvre your good enough to make the fold. The mentality is also an important aspect look at the likes of a Tim Cahill aerially.

passing-wind

I would have been quite happy for City to sign Kounde when we were needing a CB last summer but went for Ruben Diaz instead.
Wouldn’t be too worried about his height as some players have the athleticism to compensate for this and I believe that he’s one of them.
I genuinely think city have a good record for recognising talent in centre half more recently too. Laporte one of the league's best in form, Dias has been a good addition. Kounde is going under the radar slightly in terms of hype but if it's coming from Spain he's a standout defender we should be considering.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He is good in the air for someone so small, better than any CB we have except Maguire
Regardless of his height, do you think he could hold on his own aerially and physically, without needed to babysit by other stronger CB?

croadyman

Feels like it could be our Fofana in terms of age but admittedly would be at least double the price

Tallis

Is he really 1.78 ? I see some sources putting him at 1.81.

He looks above average in height to me so I tend to think he may be 1.81.

Even at 1.78, perhaps we can use him in a rotation and ensuring we have other tall players to help in corners etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.