Jules Koundé | Signs for Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I imagine you place a little weight on his shoulder, he's not going to be leaping anywhere.
Winning header is not about duel contest body to body, if you attack the ball first before your opponent then you can win it. It's about reading it, being aggressive, and technique to aim the ball with your head. He has more aerial duel won than Varane & Torres in La Liga means he's still above average than those 190cm centre back (our targets we are linked with). He's not coward.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
All I can say, not coward, always commit on duel, and still won lot of them and above 60%. He's not a type of player who will just watch and let the ball went pass him.

croadyman

All I can say, not coward, always commit on duel, and still won lot of them and above 60%. He's not a type of player who will just watch and let the ball went pass him.

Yeah gotta admit some of those stats for Kounde are impressive

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's a terrible translation. :lol:

He said that he might move this summer but nothing is decided. His goal is to join a big club and win trophies.

United in sin

Maguire plays as a LCB, so dont see the point in moving him to the right to accomodate a LCB with a left foot. Kounde as RCB and Maguire would be a great pairing, so for me the left foot isnt even an advantage. I dont think it has any real value on the pitch
I believe it's Maguires wish to play RCB hence our links to left footed center backs. Remember when Solskjaer whispered into Nathan Ake's ear about united needing a left centerback?

croadyman

Looking at these stats I think it really depends if we want someone who is good in the air or on the ground, so if it's the former then clearly Varane is the winner hands down, however if it's the latter then there is a definite case for Torres. If on the other hand we want a good balance of both worlds then hard to argue against Botman.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

What's interesting about the main CBs we've been linked with (Varane, Kounde and Torres) is less how good they are (because I suspect all three are good enough to be quality signings) and more how different they are. Different strengths, weaknesses, levels of experience and probably price points too.

I'd be happy with any of the three tbh but it will be interesting to see which we opt for.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Still not convinced with any of our options actually - be it this guy or Botman or Torres or Varane.

MattofManchester

Winning header is not about duel contest body to body, if you attack the ball first before your opponent then you can win it. It's about reading it, being aggressive, and technique to aim the ball with your head. He has more aerial duel won than Varane & Torres in La Liga means he's still above average than those 190cm centre back (our targets we are linked with). He's not coward.
Nobody said it is, but let's not forget that there's a lot more hustling and harrying in the PL(sometimes to the point of fouling) that we don't see in La Liga. If he's second to anything aerially, he's not winning it, which is already a massive problem for us.
We need a CB that encapsulates everything we need: pace, height, strength and technique.

We cannot settle for someone with doubts whether he may succeed here or not.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Nobody said it is, but let's not forget that there's a lot more hustling and harrying in the PL(sometimes to the point of fouling) that we don't see in La Liga. If he's second to anything aerially, he's not winning it, which is already a massive problem for us.
We need a CB that encapsulates everything we need: pace, height, strength and technique.

We cannot settle for someone with doubts whether he may succeed here or not.
Placing a little weight on player’s shoulder is duel contest body to body mate.

Rocknrolla69er

Kounde or Botman for me, I like those scrapper defenders who defend like their life's depend on it like John Terry and Vidic, those stats tell me Kounde and Botman love defending and are very busy. The only thing il say we ne d is more vocal and organisers. As its my pet hate, the likes of Shaw, Awb and Lindelof are very quiet and often don't look around or pass players on when marking

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Kounde or Botman for me, I like those scrapper defenders who defend like their life's depend on it like John Terry and Vidic, those stats tell me Kounde and Botman love defending and are very busy. The only thing il say we ne d is more vocal and organisers. As its my pet hate, the likes of Shaw, Awb and Lindelof are very quiet and often don't look around or pass players on when marking
Who does Botman play for? That’s a new one for me

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
What stuck out to me here is that sub-50% figure for Lindelöf on ground duels that seems absolutely shocking, so I played around a bit with squawka as well.

I compared that figure to various bobbins lower table quality defenders and only Kyle Bartley of West Brom had a worse success rate, but he was still better in the air. Andersen is better, Kouyate is better, both Burnley centre halves are better, that Phillips bloke Liverpool have had to wheel out as about 5th choice is better. Tyrone Mings' figures look like Jaap Stam in comparison.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
What stuck out to me here is that sub-50% figure for Lindelöf on ground duels that seems absolutely shocking, so I played around a bit with squawka as well.

I compared that figure to various bobbins lower table quality defenders and only Kyle Bartley of West Brom had a worse success rate, but he was still better in the air. Andersen is better, Kouyate is better, both Burnley centre halves are better, that Phillips bloke Liverpool have had to wheel out as about 5th choice is better. Tyrone Mings' figures look like Jaap Stam in comparison.

Yes, that is a bit interesting. But what is it? «Ground duels contested»? What is that figure? Does not «match» with any numbers at whoscored or fbref.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He would be my pick among that lot. I like Varane as well but I'm not sure if he'll turn out to be another Sanchez. Kounde (too small) and Torres (to passive) are a big no for me.
I really don't think Kounde at his height is a problem. He's very good in his leap, as were a lot of good cbs at that height.

Botman is very slow isn't he?

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Tyrone Mings is an absolute dirty b*stard of a player.

We may need him.

Rocknrolla69er

This it what makes it hilarious when people are turning their noses up at any potential Lindelof upgrade, pretty much anything is an upgrade the guys got the physicality of Stephen Hawkings. He's often bullied off the ball, doesn't track runners on set pieces and has sometimes a decent long pass as his only positive. All the centre backs linked are a huge upgrade.

izec

This it what makes it hilarious when people are turning their noses up at any potential Lindelof upgrade, pretty much anything is an upgrade the guys got the physicality of Stephen Hawkings. He's often bullied off the ball, doesn't track runners on set pieces and has sometimes a decent long pass as his only positive. All the centre backs linked are a huge upgrade.
We need someone for certain, and i'll take anyone, even Torres, who is most similar to Lindelöf. But him being taller and hopefully not as weak is already enough for me. Kounde would still be my favourite, but they are all upgrades on Lindelöf and Bailly for sure.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That’s harsh on Hawking...

Rocknrolla69er

We need someone for certain, and i'll take anyone, even Torres, who is most similar to Lindelöf. But him being taller and hopefully not as weak is already enough for me. Kounde would still be my favourite, but they are all upgrades on Lindelöf and Bailly for sure.
Totally agree

RUCK4444

Jeez that’s some scary reading.

That said whilst I detest Mings and don’t rate him particularly highly I would have swapped Lindelof for Mings before reading that, he would suit Maguire better for sure.

Still, can we not just buy one of this infinite production line of French CB’s already?

Status
Not open for further replies.