Jules Koundé | Signs for Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

I know many will say it's a cliche, but a 1.78m CB is a disaster waiting to happen in the PL. He could maybe get away if he played in a Pep team, but not for us.

kode

If he has great leap and reading of game i would not worry too much we have seen Mascerano puyol and Cannavaro playing the position and being great. I also seeing Fernandinho playing it for City. Marquinhos isnt that tall either and is doing great.

Brophs

The One and Only
If he has great leap and reading of game i would not worry too much we have seen Mascerano puyol and Cannavaro playing the position and being great. I also seeing Fernandinho playing it for City. Marquinhos isnt that tall either and is doing great.
I suppose the counter to that is that none of those players have done it in the PL where crossing is more of a tactic. Not to mention that unless he’s extremely good in the air, teams would definitely target he and AWB aerially. All that said, when I’ve watched him he’s looked a really good player, so what do I know.

crackers0seven

That's the fecker that robbed us last year. He went up from a header, missed the header,ball brushed back of his afro, could see it shake in replays,out for throw.Ref didn't see the touch off the fro. Gave sevilla throw,they scored from it if I remember correctly. Utd complained, var couldn't act cause it was only a throw. Am I the only one that remembers that? Maybe I dreamt it! Good player though.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's the fecker that robbed us last year. He went up from a header, missed the header,ball brushed back of his afro, could see it shake in replays,out for throw.Ref didn't see the touch off the fro. Gave sevilla throw,they scored from it if I remember correctly. Utd complained, var couldn't act cause it was only a throw. Am I the only one that remembers that? Maybe I dreamt it! Good player though.
No you're not but if he's a bit cnut-ish all well and good.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Who was the last truly top class CB to play in the league fullstop? There’s a total dearth of them regardless of height.
Pre injury VVD was top class. Diaz looks superb at 23 but early days yet.

kode

I suppose the counter to that is that none of those players have done it in the PL where crossing is more of a tactic. Not to mention that unless he’s extremely good in the air, teams would definitely target he and AWB aerially. All that said, when I’ve watched him he’s looked a really good player, so what do I know.
I agree but nowadays apart from Burnley, Wes Brom, Shefield rare are the teams that will just repeatedly put in crosses or look for a target man in the old fashion way. Thois is to say we may rotate him in those games which is around 10% of the season, i am a bit desperate to finally have a reliable pacy centre back...it might explained my reasoning

Jericholyte2

What do we know about his ability in the air? Admittedly at 1.78m - 1.81m he'd be on the smaller side for a CB but how is his leap?

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
He's 5` 10", but has good heading for a short CB. He''s faster than many. Maybe he's a fallback if United can't get number one?
He’s also got a good footballing brain and passes out of defence well

OleGunnar20

Our nearly forty year old CB in my amateur team is no more than 5'8 and I've never, ever seen him beaten in the air, if that helps any. I on the other hand am almost 6'0 and get shorter when I jump somehow.

Some people can just head the fecking ball it seems.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Does he have a buyout or what's the rumored price? I've noticed him during our clashes with Sevilla over the years and their usual EL runs but admittedly never thought much of him. If he is as good as many in this thread think he is, height can be worked around with the right partners in the team i guess.

Terminator

I dont think Ake is very tall. Has a great leap on him which makes up for the height.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's 5` 10", but has good heading for a short CB. He''s faster than many. Maybe he's a fallback if United can't get number one?
I don't think there's much in this if I'm honest. The story is from Steve Bates of the Sunday Mirror and his credibility has taken a nose dive in the last few years.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Does he have a buyout or what's the rumored price? I've noticed him during our clashes with Sevilla over the years and their usual EL runs but admittedly never thought much of him. If he is as good as many in this thread think he is, height can be worked around with the right partners in the team i guess.
Don't think he does. City offered about £60m in the summer but Sevilla's GM Ken Monchi thinks that his value nay get even higher so rejected the bid.
Probably take 70+ to get them to the table IMO.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah probably was tbh
Yeah i like Smalling. You're right of course - he didn't end up fulfilling his potential but i'd still have him as a successful signing, all things considered. He was a good servant to the club.
Don't think he does. City offered about £60m in the summer but Sevilla's GM Ken Monchi thinks that his value nay get even higher so rejected the bid.
Probably take 70+ to get them to the table IMO.
Thanks Jim. Had no idea City were in for him. Probably much less of a gamble and punt at that prices, and we'd need the sure thing to come in basically.

GazTheLegend

Wins 54% of his aerial duels in the league. That's not great...()..... That works in a league where he doesn't have to face behemoths who are allowed to just maul him on a semi-regular basis...
Completely agree. As we saw with David de Gea against Sheffield United, some referees in England are a lot more forgiving of what amount to fouls in the end even

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Our nearly forty year old CB in my amateur team is no more than 5'8 and I've never, ever seen him beaten in the air, if that helps any. I on the other hand am almost 6'0 and get shorter when I jump somehow.

Some people can just head the fecking ball it seems.
Very true. It’s all about having that core strength and momentum when jumping.

Pep's Suit

Good player but Sevilla wanted £75+5m for him just five months ago. Unless it drops to £40-50m I don't think Kounde will move this summer.

Jibbs

He is a top talent. I think he can play as a defensive midfielder. He plays quite up the pitch anyways. Also he seems like a very intelligent footballer.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I dont think Ake is very tall. Has a great leap on him which makes up for the height.
Ake is probably a good example of being 'good for his height'. I remember looking up his stats when we were linked with him between seasons and his win rate for aerial duels was pretty much exactly 50%. Meanwhile our 'terrible in the air' defenders like Lindelof and Bailly were up around 67%.

Ake is good at attacking set pieces and wins a lot more of them than you'd expect, which gives people the impression he's better than he actually is. I know I was surprised when I saw the actual stats.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I watched him few times this season. His ball playing is top quality, physically strong despite of his height & he's very good one on one because the last match I watched him in December, he had situation under counter attack for one on one situation, he dealt the opposition player with ease. I hope they lower their price to 40m-50m max in the summer.

croadyman

I watched him few times this season. His ball playing is top quality, physically strong despite of his height & he's very good one on one because the last match I watched him in December, he had situation under counter attack for one on one situation, he dealt the opposition player with ease. I hope they lower their price to 40m-50m max in the summer.
Think if we had smart negotiators in place then we could get him for a decent price, having said that didn't City already get a bid for this guy turned down back in the summer around 62m euros

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Think if we had smart negotiators in place then we could get him for a decent price, having said that didn't City already get a bid for this guy turned down back in the summer around 62m euros
Think he'd be slightly less in summer. Now that we're unloading some players hopefully it'll free up some funds

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ake is probably a good example of being 'good for his height'. I remember looking up his stats when we were linked with him between seasons and his win rate for aerial duels was pretty much exactly 50%. Meanwhile our 'terrible in the air' defenders like Lindelof and Bailly were up around 67%.

Ake is good at attacking set pieces and wins a lot more of them than you'd expect, which gives people the impression he's better than he actually is. I know I was surprised when I saw the actual stats.
Yeah, the attacking set pieces bit is what sticks in people's heads but doesn't seem to actually have that much to do with defending them or defending aerially from open play! Maguire for example gets his head on everything, but is brutally bad at attacking them. Can't direct his headers worth shit or get any power on them. Lindelof has never been any threat from corners, neither has Bailly. You look back 10 years ago, Vidic was way better at attacking them than Rio was, so Rio stayed back a lot more often.

dev1l

I cannot see them selling him lower than 62m euros if city s rejected bid is true.

RedDevilRoshi

Watched him a few times this season and looks a real talent. So much potential. Won’t be cheap though as Sevilla already knocked back a big offer from Man City for him last summer.

Don’t know how France keep producing these players.Just a conveyor belt of talent.

Infra-red

Seems like a real talent but I'd be a bit reticent about bringing in a CB with dubious aerial ability when we already have Lindelof, Bailly and Wan Bissaka to babysit in that regard and a goalkeeper who is terrified of coming off his line.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I cannot see them selling him lower than 62m euros if city s rejected bid is true.
That was when he had 4 years in his contract with 2 months covid football now is 3 years and 1 full season covid football effect. I think there is a chance. @croadyman

Silas

Is he better than Konate, who apparently has a 40m release clause?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Is he better than Konate, who apparently has a 40m release clause?
Konate release clause more than that as far what I know. Unless I miss something here.

On current level, Kounde is better. I made bold statement last summer that Kounde is better than Upamecano. Unpopular opinion but I just see him to be more intelligent and also physically still strong.
Unpopular opinion. I think he’s better than Upamecano.

Status
Not open for further replies.