Haven’t you read the memo people simply want a player that:
  1. Can dominate aerially (tall)
  2. Is aggressive
  3. Ball playing
  4. Composed
  5. Quick
  6. Can carry the ball out of defence
Isn't that David Carmo?

It'll be interesting to see him against Arsenal in the Europa. Judging by what I've seen he seems pretty much perfect for what we want.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
One thing to notice, which was made clear last night, is that la liga right now is not really a great league on the level of the PL and that comes down mostly to a distinct lack of attacking talent across the board

Meaning Kounde rarely had to deal with the kind of individual quality he'd face in the PL. Outside barcelona, atletico and madrid, there's nobody else with the kind of quality Spurs, Everton, Villa, Leicester, Chelsea, even Arsenal, can throw at opposing defences

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Silvestre struggled in general because he was never that good, but I don't remember aerial balls being one of them. Positioning maybe, like losing his man. Evra was 5'8" and I thought he'd be poor in the air but he had a great leap and timing.
I remember Mickey-Wes duo as CBX and every corner seemed like a penalty. Mickey was a poor CB but he was a decent LB

Mainoldo

Konsa would not be a solution.
Neither would Kounde. But we thing it’s a good idea to spend £50 plus million on him. We’ll never go nowhere making the same mistakes.

Konsa has the same positive attributes as Kounde and he’s taller. The whole point of this new CB is to create chemistry with Maguire or Lindelof. If there is a Sergio Ramos level defender out there though. Go spend the money.

Red_toad

Isn't that David Carmo?

It'll be interesting to see him against Arsenal in the Europa. Judging by what I've seen he seems pretty much perfect for what we want.
He’s a bit of a dirty barstool and would be a red card magnet. But otherwise he’d be a very good option.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Isn't that David Carmo?

He’s out for the rest of at least a lengthy spell, I’m pretty sure. Went off in an ambulance in his last game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I checked a number of sites and they all say that they say that he's between 6ft2 and 6.135inches
Yeah pretty shocked by that to be honest. Checked some photos myself and he does seem to be. Must be the shortest tall man I've ever seen.

Mainoldo

He’s not the progressive passing, ball carrying type so much though.

A really good CB for most PL clubs but someone wanting to go for the title?
Well we have two progressive carriers already. As I said it’s about balance we don’t need the worlds best defenders to win the league. We’ve had it once and barring Terry and Cavarlho.. I don’t remember another premier league winner having two worldie defenders. Maguire and Lindelof can do the ball carrying. Literally we would have been better off with Smalling and one of those guys and been in better shape.

Andersons Dietician

Didn’t cover himself in glory last night and Dortmund didn’t even have to play that wellto beat them. That partner mind. He was a liability against us and he didn’t look that much better last night.

The standard of legit good CB’s is really low now adays, doesn’t seem to be many going around that you actually look at a team sheet and go crap. VVD the only one.

romufc

No chance we get Kounde. His buy out is 80m and with our negotiating team, there is no way they sell for less.

We cannot be spending 80m on another CB, we have other areas we need to improve on as well. I hope we can find someone for less than 40m and get other areas improved on as well.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he’s gonna cost £60m we should keep our money in our pockets & spend the money on revamping the medical team to keep Eric Bailly fit.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The same midfield already stacked with Casemiro, Kroos, Modric and Valverde with at least 3 set to start week in week out? And he`s been playing exclusively at CB the last 2 seasons
Reports in Spain are saying he`s going to play at CB we can bet here and now thats the position he`s going to play in like Bayern
Why do you think they`re after Alaba for free not Kounde/Torres? They`re forcing their players to take wage cuts whilst still paying for their stadium and having Mbappe as a priority. They`re not as rich as you think as of now so it`ll take some seriously huge monumental effort to splash 60-80m on a starting CB without selling one for good money(Varane)
Alaba may still end up at Chelsea because as far as I'm aware he still hasn't agreed anything with Real Madrid due to the reported huge wages he's demanding. And Real Madrid are also reported to be after Pau Torres.

RkkMan

Alaba may still end up at Chelsea because as far as I'm aware he still hasn't agreed anything with Real Madrid due to the reported huge wages he's demanding. And Real Madrid are also reported to be after Pau Torres.
This blind praise of other teams :lol: :lol:
Which reliable(actual reliable) report says they`re after Torres? I`ve not seen a single thing from their mouthpiece(Marca)who are talking up Alaba and do you honestly think with Ramos leaving they`ll replace him a proven winner who`s won EVERYTHING at club level with Torres who`s not achieved 1/8th of what Ramos has in his career when Alaba(another proven winner who`s won EVERYTHING at club level and have a verbal agreement with) is on the market? The player`s dream has always been Spain he`s suggested it himself so Chelsea(who aren`t the type to overpay in wages) being in the mix is irrrelevant

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This blind praise of other teams :lol: :lol:
Which reliable(actual reliable) report says they`re after Torres? I`ve not seen a single thing from their mouthpiece(Marca)who are talking up Alaba and do you honestly think with Ramos leaving they`ll replace him a proven winner who`s won EVERYTHING at club level with Torres who`s not achieved 1/8th of what Ramos has in his career when Alaba(another proven winner who`s won EVERYTHING at club level and have a verbal agreement with) is on the market? The player`s dream has always been Spain he`s suggested it himself so Chelsea(who aren`t the type to overpay in wages) being in the mix is irrrelevant
Blind praise of other teams? I think you're mistaken if you think I'm praising other teams.

Who told you Marca are the mouth-piece of Real Madrid? Maybe 10 years ago they were not anymore.

Only yesterday Mario Cortegana who is a Real Madrid correspondent for Goal Espana, reported that Real Madrid were interested in Pau Torres. Cortegana is also followed on Twitter by all the reputable Real Madrid Journos like Pedrerol and Ronchero to name two.

Mario Cortegana: "Torres is also far from the only defender mooted as an option for Madrid, with Braga's David Carmo and Sevilla's Jules Kounde also targets should Ramos bring a curtain down on his time at the club."

"Madrid's pursuit of David Alaba is entirely separate from Torres. The Blancos are confident they can sign the Bayern Munich star - who is heading towards free agency - ahead of the 2021-22 season"

Last edited:

RkkMan

Blind praise of other teams? I think you're mistaken if you think I'm praising other teams.

Who told you Marca are the mouth-piece of Real Madrid? Maybe 10 years ago they were not anymore.

Only yesterday Mario Cortegana who is a Real Madrid correspondent for Goal Espana, reported that Real Madrid were interested in Pau Torres. Cortegana is also followed on Twitter by all the reputable Real Madrid Journos like Pedrerol and Ronchero to name two.

Mario Cortegana: "Torres is also far from the only defender mooted as an option for Madrid, with Braga's David Carmo and Sevilla's Jules Kounde also targets should Ramos bring a curtain down on his time at the club."

"Madrid's pursuit of David Alaba is entirely separate from Torres. The Blancos are confident they can sign the Bayern Munich star - who is heading towards free agency - ahead of the 2021-22 season"
Final part of the article
Should Ramos leave, however - or even Raphael Varane, whose own future is up in the air - Zidane's side will push forward in their pursuit of Torres.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Final part of the article
Should Ramos leave, however - or even Raphael Varane, whose own future is up in the air - Zidane's side will push forward in their pursuit of Torres.
The Journo is also saying that the Alaba signing is entirely seperate from their pursuit of Torres. The journo is confirming that Madrid are interested in both Kounde and Torres too which you didn't think was true in your post yesterday due to the links to Alaba.

RkkMan

The Journo is also saying that the Alaba signing is entirely seperate from their pursuit of Torres. The journo is confirming that Madrid are interested in both Kounde and Torres too which you didn't think was true in your post yesterday due to the links to Alaba.
Well with Alaba coming in it makes zero sense to sign two left footed CBs who will both want to start so Torres is a no go and even an extra one like Kounde would mean Varane leaving as Alaba on his wages will start and Kounde with his fee and potential will be a starter too makes ZERO sense to have a player who`s won EVERYTHING in football and still in his prime years sitting on the bench with a year left on his deal. You dont need to be a genius to figure out having such depth at CB for any club without someone leaving is unrealistic

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The same midfield already stacked with Casemiro, Kroos, Modric and Valverde with at least 3 set to start week in week out? And he`s been playing exclusively at CB the last 2 seasons
Reports in Spain are saying he`s going to play at CB we can bet here and now thats the position he`s going to play in like Bayern
Why do you think they`re after Alaba for free not Kounde/Torres? They`re forcing their players to take wage cuts whilst still paying for their stadium and having Mbappe as a priority. They`re not as rich as you think as of now so it`ll take some seriously huge monumental effort to splash 60-80m on a starting CB without selling one for good money(Varane)
This was your original post and you said why would they (Real Madrid) be after Alaba and not Torres or Kounde, which according to the Real Madrid correspondent isn't true, because signing Torres or Kounde is entirely separate from signing Alaba.

He might have been playing exclusively at CB for Bayern in the last 2 years but according to the report I shared, Madrid like that he's versatile and can cover both at LB and midfield so it's not set in stone that he will be playing at CB as you seem so certain of.

They also don't need to splash 60 - 80m in straight cash when they have fringe players who will be appealing to the likes of Villareal/Sevilla and can been used in a potential deal.

It makes absolute sense for Real Madrid to sign Alaba and Kounde/Torres because having strength in depth is what wins the big trophies and with Alaba being versatile and preferring to play in midfield it also provides them with a player who is very versatile which is important over the course of the season.

macheda14

So concerning to see CDM/DLP not even on our list of priorities by the looks of it
If we could only take three positions I think those three are more important. If we get those three in this summer then we can look back at CDM next summer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So concerning to see CDM/DLP not even on our list of priorities by the looks of it
Not sure it’s that urgent really, ole clearly wanted to keep playing 4231 and we don’t really struggle in midfield with Fred/pogba/mctominay. Let’s sort out the wing and defensive issues first. No world class young DMs out there yet really.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can't sign everyone in one window, especially when the list of positions hasn't changed from last summer when we did nothing with any of them

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Who would you want at CF if Cavani stays though
I *want* us to get Haaland but don’t think that’ll happen in a million years. I don’t know enough about the game beyond the PL these days, but think we need to get a first choice striker.

If Cavani stays, he should be back up, and used as an influence around the place. He hasn’t exactly pulled up trees to justify a continual starting berth.

Devil may care

On Kounde, I'm not concerned with his aerial ability, that's not the issue with Lindelof, it's that he's slow, weak and lacks athleticism. Kounde is strong, rapid and athletic, key attributes to work with Maguire.

As for people wanting a striker over a midfielder, it boggles my mind, Pogba is going, do people want an entire season of McFred with our only back-up a past it Matic? I know the Caf is obssessed with Haaland but look beyond him and Calvert-Lewin and there isn't a striker worth buying, just a bunch of average options that make less sense than giving Mason 18 months to develop in the role.

davidmichael

Usually I’d agree as I’ve long said we’ve got four priority position to fill and up until recently if I’d had a gun to my head I'd have said right winger, pure out and out defensive midfielder, centre back and striker in that order as I thought Tuanzebe would kick on after the PSG game and Martial would kick on back to how he was last season goal wise.

Reality is Martial is NEVER going to be the striker we want him to be and a past his prime Cavani pisses all over Martial, problem is Cavani can’t play 40-50 games a season which means selling Martial and bringing in a striker is a must.

Tuanzebe seems to suffer a bit from Phil Jones syndrome in that you know he’s a centre back yet because he’s decent in a couple of other positions he’s thrown in to play those positions instead of exclusively centre back but also seems to get injured, Bailly can’t seem to string more than a few games together either whilst Lindelof is pointless alongside Maguire so that makes a centre back a must.

We’ve not signed a right winger (I’m not including Diallo and Pellestri as they’re youth players) since Valencia in 2009 and not had a genuine quality one since Ronaldo left, it’s nailed on that if we go all in for Sancho we’ll sign him and we’re basically impotent from the right meaning all our attacking comes from one side which means teams know to stop Fernandes and our left side pretty much means we’re going to struggle creating so a right winger is a must.

If, and it’s a big if, Pogba stays then that’s Pogba, McTominay, Fred, VDB, Matic and Garner for two spots in the team not to mention Galbraith and Levitt also around so my thinking on priority has changed although if we were able (wishful thinking) to clear Romero, Grant, J. Pereira, Dalot, Jones, Lindelof (I’d promote Mengi), A. Pereira, Lingard, Mata and Chong then we’d bring in enough for a top quality defensive midfielder too.

croadyman

Usually I’d agree as I’ve long said we’ve got four priority position to fill and up until recently if I’d had a gun to my head I'd have said right winger, pure out and out defensive midfielder, centre back and striker in that order as I thought Tuanzebe would kick on after the PSG game and Martial would kick on back to how he was last season goal wise.

Reality is Martial is NEVER going to be the striker we want him to be and a past his prime Cavani pisses all over Martial, problem is Cavani can’t play 40-50 games a season which means selling Martial and bringing in a striker is a must.

Tuanzebe seems to suffer a bit from Phil Jones syndrome in that you know he’s a centre back yet because he’s decent in a couple of other positions he’s thrown in to play those positions instead of exclusively centre back but also seems to get injured, Bailly can’t seem to string more than a few games together either whilst Lindelof is pointless alongside Maguire so that makes a centre back a must.

We’ve not signed a right winger (I’m not including Diallo and Pellestri as they’re youth players) since Valencia in 2009 and not had a genuine quality one since Ronaldo left, it’s nailed on that if we go all in for Sancho we’ll sign him and we’re basically impotent from the right meaning all our attacking comes from one side which means teams know to stop Fernandes and our left side pretty much means we’re going to struggle creating so a right winger is a must.

If, and it’s a big if, Pogba stays then that’s Pogba, McTominay, Fred, VDB, Matic and Garner for two spots in the team not to mention Galbraith and Levitt also around so my thinking on priority has changed although if we were able (wishful thinking) to clear Romero, Grant, J. Pereira, Dalot, Jones, Lindelof (I’d promote Mengi), A. Pereira, Lingard, Mata and Chong then we’d bring in enough for a top quality defensive midfielder too.
Are you confident that Garner is capable of coming back and getting in the squad then, do you not feel like he would benefit from another season out on loan but this time at a Premier League club rather than Championship. There is no doubt we have been lacking on that RW for far too long and wouldn't want to put all that pressure on Amad's young shoulders either. So have you got anyone in mind to sign as a striker then because feels like the best option is not going to be available until next summer anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.