Julian Alvarez / signed for city / loaned back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
To be fair, meeting his release clause and bringing him over here would be a pretty low risk investment. He'd still sell for a decent fee even if he wasn't quite good enough for this level.
We’ve been linked with two deals today. This for 20 million or Dembele on a “free” with 40 million sign on and on eye watering wages. Wish we took the smart deal with lots of upside and made it club policy to kept doing it. It wouldn’t be long before we hit gold. If we keep getting sucked into players like Dembele then we only have ourselves to blame.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
We’ve been linked with two deals today. This for 20 million or Dembele on a “free” with 40 million sign on and on eye watering wages. Wish we took the smart deal with lots of upside and made it club policy to kept doing it. It wouldn’t be long before we hit gold. If we keep getting sucked into players like Dembele then we only have ourselves to blame.
If we're stupid enough to bring Dembulance here for massive agents fees and wages, then John Murtough would have proven himself to be just as idiotic as Ed. However he isn't, and therefore I don't think there's a chance in hell that this signing gets sanctioned.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We deserve everything we get if we sign Dembele. He can barely stay fit in La Liga. Imagine him in a more physical league, with colder weather, faster games, and tighter schedule. We’d get about 14 minutes a season from him before his hamstrings twanged. Plus, if people show this much hate for Rashford and his inconsistencies - a home grown talent - it’d be a blood bath over Dembele.

Alvarez is the sort of talent I’d love us to take a punt on though. Massive potential, but no guarantees. I love a surprise South American signing.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pretty sure we are being used here to drum up some interest in him.

Mercurial

To be fair, meeting his release clause and bringing him over here would be a pretty low risk investment. He'd still sell for a decent fee even if he wasn't quite good enough for this level.
When has that ever worked out for us? We suck at that kind of trade. More like they get a too great salary and stick for a few years as unsellable.

Bestietom

20 million euro would be worth a chance on this guy. But I think we need midfielders first.
This would be a nice January.
Kamara = 10 million
Haidara = 30 million
Alvarez = 20 million

You may have others in mind.

Last edited:

troylocker

I can’t see how a 170cm tall striker can make it in the most physical league in the world in 2022. He is literally the size of a child.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I can’t see how a 170cm tall striker can make it in the most physical league in the world in 2022. He is literally the size of a child.
Augero is roughly the same height to be fair (173cm)

troylocker

Augero is roughly the same height to be fair (173cm)
So you think paying 20+ M £ for a totally unproven, tiny (smaller than Aguero) forward based on 3 months of good form in the 18th best league in the world (behind the Championship, the Danish league, Turkish league, Austrian League, Swiss league etc.) is a good bet? Have you watched him outside highlight clips on youtube? (I haven’t, but literally any professional footballer looks absolutely phenomenal in a 7 min highlight reel)

Telsim

Why though? I mean, for 20 million it isn't that big of a deal, but I genuinely fail to see the hype around him or the point of getting him. His stats are what they are, but considering the strength of the league they aren't indicative of anything. Neither are YouTube highlights for that matter. Rangnick keeps talking about physicality and then goes for a guy like this that will get played off the pitch in the PL? Besides, we already have enough forwards, even if some of them leave in the summer. And if we are so set on getting a forward, we should be going for Vlahovic.

I'm hoping this is a case of using the name to push his stocks up.

Houdini

The guy has it all. Speed, close control, passing, vision, top class finishing with both feet. Upgrade on Rashford and Martial, better physically than Greenwood, goes for peanuts.
Cavani will be propably gone at the end of the season and Ronaldo 37...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Alexis Sanchez, Gianfranco Zola and Juninho Paulista (Middlesbrough) were all shorter then that. Tevez and Aguero are 1cm-2cm taller.

Last edited:

Schnappo

So you think paying 20+ M £ for a totally unproven, tiny (smaller than Aguero) forward based on 3 months of good form in the 18th best league in the world (behind the Championship, the Danish league, Turkish league, Austrian League, Swiss league etc.) is a good bet? Have you watched him outside highlight clips on youtube? (I haven’t, but literally any professional footballer looks absolutely phenomenal in a 7 min highlight reel)
Is it a good bet? No, probably not. But with respect, I'd been more inclined to trust Manchester United's scouting department over some random on the internet who has never watched him but has already written him off as too small for the league. If we sign him, then it's probably on the back of thorough research rather than YouTube highlights. If the fee reported is correct, we're looking at £17m - £20m so it's unlikely to affect our ability to go for other targets - what exactly is the problem?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, I just think your quote below is bullshit. It has nothing to do with Alvarez but more this insinuation:
There are players in the recent past who have proven to be a tremendous success despite being this height. Augero and Sanchez being a couple of notable ones.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
People are acting like if we actually go for him it’ll be on the back of a YouTube compilation of his goals :lol:

If we go for him it’ll be because we’ve done our due diligence and think he could add some much needed energy and zip to the system.

Some of the best players in this league were small fast aggressive players

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This sound like the typical Argentinian punt. Alvarez is young, he's got promising, he's versatile and he's cheap. He might turn up to be the next big thing or a dud.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
When has that ever worked out for us? We suck at that kind of trade. More like they get a too great salary and stick for a few years as unsellable.
Huh :confused: Are you asking when has us taking a risk and signing a young player with massive potential worked out for us? Countless times.

Mercurial

Huh :confused: Are you asking when has us taking a risk and signing a young player with massive potential worked out for us? Countless times.
When exactly did we buy someone cheap and made a profit when they failed to materialise for us and then went on to make a monetary gain sale in the modern era? The Glazers are practically the masters of hoarding mediocre players they release on expired contracts or pay others to grab on a loan. Stop living in the past.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
When exactly did we buy someone cheap and made a profit when they failed to materialise for us and then went on to make a monetary gain sale in the modern era? The Glazers are practically the masters of hoarding mediocre players they release on expired contracts or pay others to grab on a loan. Stop living in the past.
Never made that claim so you should probably work on your comprehension skills.

Mercurial

Never made that claim so you should probably work on your comprehension skills.
My comprehension skills are perfectly fine thank you, I just don't agree with your assesment we easily can shift players that dont materialize to recoup, or even mitigate the cost that much. It's much more likely they get exposed at highest level and tank their value or we keep them. We pay too much salary and we don't develop players as a sell on business model. They either slot in or fade over their contract cycle.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If we're stupid enough to bring Dembulance here for massive agents fees and wages, then John Murtough would have proven himself to be just as idiotic as Ed. However he isn't, and therefore I don't think there's a chance in hell that this signing gets sanctioned.
:lol: Such a bad pun, it's actually funny.

I feel very confident in saying we won't sign Dembele because our manager isn't an idiot. Not saying Ralf's the messiah, but this he won't screw up.

It's not just the injuries and unprofessionalism. He's not good enough when fit. Just looking talented for a midtable la liga team doesn't cut it at 24-25y.

bosskeano

you bring in this young kid what does it do for Shoretire, Amad, Pellestri or Elanga??? guys already on the books and 2 of them we paid decent money to bring in

Rossa

Alexis Sanchez, Gianfranco Zola and Juninho Paulista (Middlesbrough) were all shorter then that. Tevez and Aguero are 1cm-2cm taller.
Salah and Mane are both 175 cms. Sterling is 170cm. It’s a silly point to make. Messi isn’t huge either. Evra 174. Lennon 165 - and he certainly didn’t struggle physically. Our squad lacks a smaller player with a low center of gravity and quick feet.

Ekeke

you bring in this young kid what does it do for Shoretire, Amad, Pellestri or Elanga??? guys already on the books and 2 of them we paid decent money to bring in
Makes them want to go on loan and be top scorer somewhere out there?

The chances of that many of them making it as first team starters are slim to none anyway. Pellistri has done nothing to suggest clubs would even bid what we paid for him in order to take him from us, which isnt good as it seemed a low fee at the time. But its a fee Alaves couldnt afford and he doesnt even start for them

Which of the Chelsea youngsters didnt go on loan to make their name before being given a big chance in the first team? Which of them had spots reserved for them so Chelsea didnt spend money on players? None of them. And yet plenty of Chelsea young players are playing, because they put in the effort and were good enough to play in place of some big name signings

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Martial is as good as gone, and I think Cavani will leave too. That leaves us with only 37 year old Ronaldo and Greenwood. It's not a bad idea.
If we're being honest, Ronaldo's probably leaving at the end of the season anyway.

PoTMS

I would put my mortgage on this one being nothing more than a lot of hot air.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Makes them want to go on loan and be top scorer somewhere out there?

The chances of that many of them making it as first team starters are slim to none anyway. Pellistri has done nothing to suggest clubs would even bid what we paid for him in order to take him from us, which isnt good as it seemed a low fee at the time. But its a fee Alaves couldnt afford and he doesnt even start for them

Which of the Chelsea youngsters didnt go on loan to make their name before being given a big chance in the first team? Which of them had spots reserved for them so Chelsea didnt spend money on players? None of them. And yet plenty of Chelsea young players are playing, because they put in the effort and were good enough
Our players obviously aren't as good as some of the lads Chelsea currently have, but we really don't help ourselves with stupid loans that are never going to work out. I can't figure out the logic of why we even let Pellistri choose his own loan to the same club who weren't even really playing him last year and then let him go, even with it being known he wasn't playing.

Ekeke

Our players obviously aren't as good as some of the lads Chelsea currently have, but we really don't help ourselves with stupid loans that are never going to work out. I can't figure out the logic of why we even let Pellistri choose his own loan to the same club who weren't even really playing him last year and then let him go, even with it being known he wasn't playing.
The foreign loans I dont get I have to admit. They never work out for us anyway. At least I cant remember one... I always think back to Rossi at Parma, he did well and then we wanted to sign Tevez so he wasnt interested in coming back when he was enjoying first team football and wasnt likely to get as much of it.

But I'm absolutely on favour of loans to the championship or premier league as its getting them ready for English football. If players go out to other clubs and dont put the work in, chances are they wouldnt have put the work in here either and on top of that they get no first team experience because we only have space for a couple at a time, especially when we already have some young players in the team. Realistically we probably have space for 1 young player to break in now in those attacking roles and get a handful of starts this season. The rest will barely get a game other than the carabao cup and in those matches we'll mostly play teams weaker than they'd face in the championship...

Status
Not open for further replies.