Julian Alvarez

VanKenny

He wasn't being overrated in a silly way, it's a praise that even with some extremes, pretty logical.
The lad was a gem in River, that would put you in the spotlight instantly, more when he also played really great in big matches, like against Boca and such.

The whole lack of control/touch at this time is quite silly, like the "Pep" will teach him like if he is a 14 years old player in the academy (of course he will improve becasue he clearly looks like a sponge for anything a coach asks him or give him as a tool and a very pro fella).
But he is from River, not from Sportivo Nowhere, he was under Gallardo already playing lots of different roles and he doesn't lack quality at all, what he has is the urge of a striker in a very polivalente forward, without phenom or genius skills, but clear CRACk ones.
Most of times when he risks too much it's because he has the goal as the "goal", by assiting or scoring and this combine with the excessive (for my taste) pressure he does, sometimes you'll rush some play (more noticeable in a team like City that many times overplays the keep it safe style) and even more when you have to gain a place in clubs like River and City that can send any youngster to oblivion in seconds.

Tevez had that issue many times in his carreer when coaches kind of ask too much of the pressure stuff, or even when him alone played that role excessively to demonstrate some sort of: "I'm here to add and I'll accept a secondary role even if I know a I'm the bizz for the moment till you recognize what you have in your hands".
The thing is that sometimes when both go over the top with it damaging their own image, or perception of them by simply tiring themselves a bit too much during matches, loosing a bit of finesse or even not having better stats playing more for the team.

On a general note and regarding the usal Argie future star tag, there is some true in what you've said, but not because of what you've said of him lacking quality.

The thing with him is that he wasn't born a typical CRACK (even less a phenom or genius type) specially regaridng being from Argentina like if it was in Brazil.

He is the sort of player that evolves in a CRACK, that shows Elite quality from the beggining, but not precisly a 15 years old prodigy, like Aguero, Tevez sort of fella.

In many senses with luck and effort, he could end being the argie Villa, Muller or Raul. And these fellas sometimes have better carreers and are as usefull or even having better carreers than more born Prodigy alike ones.
In that sense, I absolutely agree. But like I posted months ago above, he still is not being appreciated as fully as he deserves, there is to much focus on his touch and we can see it here in Man Utd how more often players regarded more skilled than him loosses the ball a lot more and even risking a lot less and pressuring a lot less either.

Another thing that has more truth to be tag as overrated are his honors, specially regarding the Libertadores he won or to a less extent his CL and some of his titles in general, but at the same time it's pretty easy to notice he has a knack for being a player for big moments, not meaning only against big rivals, but important situations, the out of the blue goal against Fullham last season is a prime example. Or even sillier golas like the one agaisnt Madrid, he just entered and scored with class and of course what he did in the WC.

I trully hope that he becomes the Argie Villa/Muller, I would love that, even thought like in some relation with you have said, I hope that there is some real phenom or even better genius in the making, specially a great dribbler. The NT will need that in the future, the squeleton, the foundatiosn are already quite great butArgentina needs at least a new dribbler CRACK (if it's a phenom or genius (quite unlikely being as belssed as we always have been with those ones) better.

Sorry for the long rant man, not pun at all intended, just some notes I felt was needed to be add.
I liked your post, but id definitely say Villa and arguably Raul should be considered "cracks". David Villa on his days (which were MANY) was something that few players have reached.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
I liked your post, but id definitely say Villa and arguably Raul should be considered "cracks". David Villa on his days (which were MANY) was something that few players have reached.
And they are indeed, but being a subjective term I kind of make a mess of it in these late posts and at the end of the day was just a loose term to give an idea.
In fact Raul is really close to what I meant by saying Crack appearence, in relation to what nowadays might be considered and old concept of what the term used to mean.
Raul in relation to his apperance, his age, the context of being in a huge club and great talent was indeed a Crack, yet he wasn't to the extent that CRACK that was used once upon a time for a Maradona, Di Stefano, R9, Romario kind of appearence that I think now the Genius or Phenom term suits them better.

I'm an old fart and when young, the term CRACK was reserved to mainly those fellas that debuted at 15/16 years old and show since first minute some out of norm talent/physical atributes and of course they sustain that level in their carreers, some of them you could sense that they might be a phenom or genius in the making and some achieve that status like Messi, others fell short and never really was that level there like Tevez (crack suits him perfectluy, a lot better) yet since day one he wore the heavy shirt like nothing, he dribbled his way like nothing when needed, he was clutch and made his transition to first team like a piece of cake.
With time I think the term kind of became more loose, without entirely loosing its appeal.

Julian didn't have an Aguero type of appearence, nor even an Aimar, Tevez one, but you could sense he was mature, special, with qualities and that he would grow in being a great player or even better than that and I trully think that he might end having such carreer (even sounding silly taking in consideration to what he already achieved), he might end having a lot better carreer and greater development taking in cosideration his base than many others that were born like touch with a harry potter wand.

Nothing is black and white of course, there are other special players that are cracks or even beyond that in terms of talent, but they kind of improve in time, that their carreers take a progressive development. Some of these cases has phenom level talent like Iniesta, Zidane, etc

Last edited: