Julian Alvarez

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
City are paying an additional amount to R Plate to bring him in early so they can assess him in the pre season and decide whether to keep him in the first team squad or loan him out to a European club.
Looks very much like the former at the moment.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
We're going to regret this one, for 20M it was a steal. The most promising player from the argentinian league by a mile, yet we didnt ñull the trigger.

Who the feck is taking that decisions? We bought Pellistri for nearly as much and he wasnt/isn't even closely rated.
£15m including bringing him over 6 months early, him and Haaland for a combined £66m is pretty good business.

Frank Grimes

We're going to regret this one, for 20M it was a steal. The most promising player from the argentinian league by a mile, yet we didnt ñull the trigger.

Who the feck is taking that decisions? We bought Pellistri for nearly as much and he wasnt/isn't even closely rated.
We spent much more on Diallo too.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
£15m including bringing him over 6 months early, him and Haaland for a combined £66m is pretty good business.
Come on Buddy, we all know it isn't really £66m owing to the signing on bonuses for Håland. That is like saying PSG re-signed Mbappe for free.

That said, I think this deal highlights that with City it isn't all about the money as to why you're successful. You do spend a lot, but you also spend it pretty wisely so it has more effect.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Come on Buddy, we all know it isn't really £66m owing to the signing on bonuses for Håland. That is like saying PSG re-signed Mbappe for free.

That said, I think this deal highlights that with City it isn't all about the money as to why you're successful. You do spend a lot, but you also spend it pretty wisely so it has more effect.
that's fair enough but you either report on the reported transfer fee, or go the whole shebang and report on the whole contract, I'm just going on the transfer fee, of course it's nearer £100m than £50m

MUFC OK

He really wasn't that hard to identify either, was pretty much top scorer in Argentina aged 21 and clearly has a left and right foot finish in him. Honestly think our scouts were doing nothing.

marktan

He really wasn't that hard to identify either, was pretty much top scorer in Argentina aged 21 and clearly has a left and right foot finish in him. Honestly think our scouts were doing nothing.
They've been doing nothing for the last 10 years. Wasn't Pellestri a recommendation by Forlan? Really shows you how amateur our network is. AWB, VDB, pretty much every signing bar Bruno in the last 4 years..

I've said it before but it comes from the top. When the board and directors are made up of people with no operational ability (the 6 Glazer trust fund kids), then the structure below them will always be lackadaisical.

Red4Life_#7

They've been doing nothing for the last 10 years. Wasn't Pellestri a recommendation by Forlan? Really shows you how amateur our network is. AWB, VDB, pretty much every signing bar Bruno in the last 4 years..

I've said it before but it comes from the top. When the board and directors are made up of people with no operational ability (the 6 Glazer trust fund kids), then the structure below them will always be lackadaisical.
Couldn't agree anymore with this statement!!!

MUFC OK

I know, wouldn't even required world class scouts to have performed a lot better in this department, either.

The majority of players I would identify can be done via Whoscored, e.g. Tchouameni was coming out well on top as the best young ball winning midfielder in europe back in 2020. Youd only have to watch him a few times on top of that to realise he's a world class talent. So there's two targets easily identifiable for anyone who gave a shit to even look. Probably why I'm losing my shit on both threads, because if I can identify them why cant our scouts? Honestly it seems they have done F all for a long time.

When Utd fans ask how City and Liverpool identify these players, plus Diaz etc. It's because they actually look. In addition to that they have other tools to look for personality fit of players. We have been running a stone-age operation at united and I'm genuinely very intrigued to see who we bring in to replace our departing first team scouts.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

Just had a look on Linkedin and we have a first team scout who graduated from Uni in 2015, worked as a store manager at Aldi for a year, and has since spent 7 years as a first team scout at united - W.T.F????

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Scores few goals against some plumbers and accountants, and he is going to bench Haaland :lol:

GlasgowCeltic

Just had a look on Linkedin and we have a first team scout who graduated from Uni in 2015, worked as a store manager at Aldi for a year, and has since spent 7 years as a first team scout at united - W.T.F????
pay good money at Aldi

Son

The Haaland deal I get why it’s so cheap. This one not sure. A lot of City’s deals stink of underhand payments.

City and PSG always seem to find ‘value’ each summer. They must be such great business people…

marktan

The Haaland deal I get why it’s so cheap. This one not sure. A lot of City’s deals stink of underhand payments.

City and PSG always seem to find ‘value’ each summer. They must be such great business people…
Halaand one has been reported as 60m + about £40m in agent fees / payments to his dad. And yet no one seems to quote the price as £100m, despite that being what City will actually pay. Our 90m fee for Pogba includes the large agent fees I believe so a bit weird

Son

Halaand one has been reported as 60m + about £40m in agent fees / payments to his dad. And yet no one seems to quote the price as £100m, despite that being what City will actually pay. Our 90m fee for Pogba includes the large agent fees I believe so a bit weird
Not to mention if Haaland fails they just sign someone else for ‘50m’. Honestly it’s different rules for them due to the lobbying they have going on to keep in the good books with our government.

When countries / politics are attached to the game this is what happens. It’s one rule for them another one for everyone else.

We’ll see the same with Newcastle maybe on a greater scale in the future don’t worry. They’ll have company then on who can lobby the hardest with our government and the football bodies.

Part of the reason the bigger clubs tried to break away was they understand football currently is infected by clubs like City at the very top. The Qatar WC been the biggest example.

The English government loves it because of the free investment on the flip side. They are super happy to sell our clubs to the highest bidder due to who we have in power currently.

MUFC OK

A good point that you make. Disclosed sums might just be less than actually sums, especially if it’s amortised over the contract. Like you say why would city realistically a good deal on anyone? Because the player pushed the move through?

Son

A good point that you make. Disclosed sums might just be less than actually sums, especially if it’s amortised over the contract. Like you say why would city realistically a good deal on anyone? Because the player pushed the move through?
They have been proven guilty with sponsorships plus their wage bill is apparently less than ours which I find hard to believe.

They also brought in more money than any club in the world this past year due to their ‘third party’ sponsorships. It’s all crooked same with PSG.

I’m not saying the Super League was the answer fans wanted to compete with countries but having streaming services for United, Madrid and Barcelona bridges the gap between normal clubs and state owned for sure.

We can’t compete with City unless we can maximise our brands value which we just cannot currently.

They get to demonise our owners / other European giants for wanting to destroy football while mopping up all the trophies themselves as they get a free pass to cheat so it’s just not right currently.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

All that nonsense people were saying about him just being for their development network. Will likely get gametime at City season 1

Neither I would think. They can and will compete for the wing and midfield spots. Alvarez would be rotation or on as a sub for Haaland, or maybe he starts because hes scoring and Haaland is off for a bit.
I imagine too. I wonder if pep will ever play Haaland and Alvarez up front with a playmaker behind them, getting his width from the fullbacks.
You have to feel for this guy really. You think you're signing to play for City then they go and buy a world class striker to stand in your way :lol:

I'm sure he will have plenty of good loans.
He could very well play a part. Most teams don’t have one striker for a CF position, and have four for two slots. Pep may very well have a plan b style with two strikers on the field at the same time.

it’s strange for sure. For 20 considering our striker situation it was worth it regardless. Maybe we always knew he was city bound and can’t compete with the under the table bonuses

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
that's fair enough but you either report on the reported transfer fee, or go the whole shebang and report on the whole contract, I'm just going on the transfer fee, of course it's nearer £100m than £50m
It's nearer £300m than £100m.

pascell

No wonder we're trawling through a database of 9000 RBs and landing on Wan-Bissaka.

Hoof the ball

Alvarez and Haaland for less than 70m in transfer fees is unreal business. Especially when you consider they shipped Ferran Torres off for 55. :lol:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This guy won’t be happy playing second choice to haaland. He should of joined another top team where he has a chance of starting. To good to be sat on the bench.

Dempsey19

Alvarez and Haaland for less than 70m in transfer fees is unreal business. Especially when you consider they shipped Ferran Torres off for 55. :lol:
There was some very nice finishes in majority of those goals. We should of thrown everything at him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Were we ever really in for this lad?
Shame as he could have possibly made the difference in getting ucl but no point in fretting over it.

Let's see how he performs for our noisy neighbors.

Ekeke

I imagine too. I wonder if pep will ever play Haaland and Alvarez up front with a playmaker behind them, getting his width from the fullbacks.

He could very well play a part. Most teams don’t have one striker for a CF position, and have four for two slots. Pep may very well have a plan b style with two strikers on the field at the same time.

it’s strange for sure. For 20 considering our striker situation it was worth it regardless. Maybe we always knew he was city bound and can’t compete with the under the table bonuses
In recent history its been hard to get Pep to play 1 striker let alone 2. So I'll stick with the idea of 1 striker, but maybe Alvarez could see some gametime as a wide striker like Gabriel Jesus has

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
When did City sign him? That’s pretty shite they have him and Haaland next season.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Considering Sporting and City have developed a friendship we should be requesting this Lad on Loan since they signed Haaland

Mshafeek

Considering Sporting and City have developed a friendship we should be requesting this Lad on Loan since they signed Haaland
United and City have developed a stronger friendship nowadays...especially the fans.

Anderson_7_

Scores few goals against some plumbers and accountants, and he is going to bench Haaland :lol:
Because strikers that develop in Germany are known for their great performances in the PL, right? :lol: Alvarez will get plenty of gametime.

Haaland's there just for the vibes. He's going to stick out like a sore thumb and spend a lot of time on the bench. And then he's going to jet off to Spain in two years. Even Soriano knows it.

Ferran Soriano believes Erling Haaland will have to modify his style of play at Manchester City as the Norway striker arrived in England on Tuesday to formally complete his £51million move
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...hillips-top-manchester-citys-transfer-target/

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We truly feck Ralf over by not signing this guy and Dias even after he requested them in January.
If we had signed those two then we might have actually got top 4 and ten hag could then concentrate on fixing the central midfield issue.