Julian Alvarez / signed for city / loaned back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

I can’t see how a 170cm tall striker can make it in the most physical league in the world in 2022. He is literally the size of a child.
How tall is Bernardo? How tall is Jesus? How tall is Foden? What is meant by Most Physical League in the World isn't merely stature and brute strength, but rather physical intensity, frequency of verticality, sprinting, running, aggressive direct play. That's what is meant by this league being physical.

Trex

Its seems he's known for his pressing, it would absolutely make sense to get a forward who can lead the press as none of our current option are any good at it bar Cavani who is leaving soon and is injury prone, is there any reliable source confirming our interest.

Hoof the ball

Its seems he's known for his pressing, it would absolutely make sense to get a forward who can lead the press as none of our current option are any good at it bar Cavani who is leaving soon and is injury prone, is there any reliable source confirming our interest.
Well, it certainly is a pressing issue.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Salah and Mane are both 175 cms. Sterling is 170cm. It’s a silly point to make. Messi isn’t huge either. Evra 174. Lennon 165 - and he certainly didn’t struggle physically. Our squad lacks a smaller player with a low center of gravity and quick feet.
Tall strikers are still in huge demand. The likes Kane, Haaland, Ronaldo, Lukaku, Lewandowski and Vlahovic are among the most respected strikers in football . However the main striker role is not the only forward role in football. The no 10 role or the false striker role requires a different skill set altogether

From what I saw alavez seems comfortable to play in a number of roles and can be quite useful as a no 10

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Tall strikers are still in huge demand. The likes Kane, Haaland, Ronaldo, Lukaku and Vlahovic are amobg the most respected strikers in football . However the main striker role is not the only forward role in football. The no 10 role or the false striker role requires a different skill set altogether
Aguero isn't that tall, neither was Suarez.
Top strikers come in all forms

Zapata

170cm has got to be incorrect, I've seen him next teammates and he seems to be around 5'9 ish (173-175)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Aguero isn't that tall, neither was Suarez.
Top strikers come in all forms
Suarez was nearly 6ft tall. He's got quite a bite as well, at least, according to Chiellini. Aguero made his bones at Atletico before moving to City. I am not saying that a short striker can't make it in the EPL. I listed those who actually did that. What I am saying is that I can't see someone who can make the immediate jump from River Plate to leading the line at Manchester United especially since we've already got Ronaldo and Greenwood in that role (Cavani as well if he doesn't leave in January). So in my opinion he'd slot in as a second striker as cover to Rashford.

PS stranger things had happened though. Zanetti came at Inter from Banfield at age 22 and he settled immediately.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
After the Caciedo nonsense, it'll take a lot of much better chat for me to get even remotely invested. Not a big day today. Not expecting the next 56 hours to be important.

Zapata

Has rangnick ever been involved in bringing any South American talent to his teams?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Weren’t the lads on Caciedo tier one too? I think there was something up with his permit or 3rd party ownerships or something like that made us stop our pursuit though. I reckon we genuinely were interested in him and close to bidding but Brighton had done past business with his club/agent and we decided to gave them a clear run at it and let him develop there

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Surely no one still believes these kind of rumours.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Weren’t the lads on Caciedo tier one too? I think there was something up with his permit or 3rd party ownerships or something like that made us stop our pursuit though. I reckon we genuinely were interested in him and close to bidding but Brighton had done past business with his club/agent and we decided to gave them a clear run at it and let him develop there
Might be waffling here but I don't think so. Someone on our side has dispelled it already though so I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

With Caicedo, I think we could afford to let another club take the gamble as apparently his goal in football is to play for United, he said as much in an interview.

troylocker

Martial is as good as gone, and I think Cavani will leave too. That leaves us with only 37 year old Ronaldo and Greenwood. It's not a bad idea.
I see I stepped on some toes with my size comments, but being short is a disadvantage in football, like in other sports.
There is hotter prospects out there in the same agegroup. Like Haaland, Vlahovic and Nunes for instance. Other small players that has made it in the PL were all proven before coming to England. Buying a 22 year old forward off the back of a 3 month hot streak in the 18th best league in the world would be a pretty massive gamble. The step from Liga Profesional to the PL is gigantic and 20M isn’t nothing like some here imply. If he isn’t a good fit it would be a big speedbump in a young players career and a waste for the club.

Scholsey2004

I see I stepped on some toes with my size comments, but being short is a disadvantage in football, like in other sports.
There is hotter prospects out there in the same agegroup. Like Haaland, Vlahovic and Nunes for instance. Other small players that has made it in the PL were all proven before coming to England. Buying a 22 year old forward off the back of a 3 month hot streak in the 18th best league in the world would be a pretty massive gamble. The step from Liga Profesional to the PL is gigantic and 20M isn’t nothing like some here imply. If he isn’t a good fit it would be a big speedbump in a young players career and a waste for the club.
He's 5'7, hes not tiny like Angel Gomes. Hes the same height as Bernardo Silva and he's got that stocky physique you see with a lot of Argentinian players like Aguero and Tevez. I dont see him struggling physically.

Scholsey2004

Suarez was nearly 6ft tall. He's got quite a bite as well, at least, according to Chiellini. Aguero made his bones at Atletico before moving to City. I am not saying that a short striker can't make it in the EPL. I listed those who actually did that. What I am saying is that I can't see someone who can make the immediate jump from River Plate to leading the line at Manchester United especially since we've already got Ronaldo and Greenwood in that role (Cavani as well if he doesn't leave in January). So in my opinion he'd slot in as a second striker as cover to Rashford.

PS stranger things had happened though. Zanetti came at Inter from Banfield at age 22 and he settled immediately.
Hernandez came from Mexico straight to leading our line.

Scholsey2004

These guys are just replacing Moises Caciedo with Julian Alvarez and rehashing the same tweets.

Still hope it’s true. We need fresh aggression and quality across the squad. Don’t care who leaves.
Phil de Bruin said his sources told him theres nothing in it. He looks a talent though.

troylocker

Hernandez came from Mexico straight to leading our line.
That was a gamble too, but a 6M£ gamble to be fair. He also scored half of Mexicos goals in the WC and looked money both there and in the pre WC campain for them with 9 goals for Mexico just in 2010 before we signed him. I must admit I was sceptical back then as well, and he played a more important role for us than I anticipated.

Alvarez who turns 22 in a month has been better than ok for three months…He has been a football pro for 4 years. He plays football in the Argentinian top flight, where his team is the best team in the league by some margin this season. The league consists of 26 teams and if you combine the squads of all the 26 teams (727 players) it would be the 5th most valuable squad in the PL….
He’s no doubt had a fantastic end to 2021 with 18 goals and 8 assists in his last 15 games (1288 minutes), but let’s not forget that back in September he (21 years and 8 months old) had 18 goals and 17 assists in 81 games (4508 minutes) of club football to his name. His U20, U23 and senior NT numbers are underwhelming and indicates that he is not the new Aguero. At the same age Aguero had already scored 74 goals for A. Madrid and was a regular starter for Argentina.

Scholsey2004

I'm not listening to someone who calls himself Pilib De Brun instead of Phil Brown. It's like Renford Reject's Barry Grade calling himself Bruno Di Gradi.
He's not a great source but i doubt you need to be a great source to get a denial. Hopefully he's either wrong or things have changed because the kid does look good.

Scholsey2004

That was a gamble too, but a 6M£ gamble to be fair. He also scored half of Mexicos goals in the WC and looked money both there and in the pre WC campain for them with 9 goals for Mexico just in 2010 before we signed him. I must admit I was sceptical back then as well, and he played a more important role for us than I anticipated.

Alvarez who turns 22 in a month has been better than ok for three months…He has been a football pro for 4 years. He plays football in the Argentinian top flight, where his team is the best team in the league by some margin this season. The league consists of 26 teams and if you combine the squads of all the 26 teams (727 players) it would be the 5th most valuable squad in the PL….
He’s no doubt had a fantastic end to 2021 with 18 goals and 8 assists in his last 15 games (1288 minutes), but let’s not forget that back in September he (21 years and 8 months old) had 18 goals and 17 assists in 81 games (4508 minutes) of club football to his name. His U20, U23 and senior NT numbers are underwhelming and indicates that he is not the new Aguero. At the same age Aguero had already scored 74 goals for A. Madrid and was a regular starter for Argentina.
I think theres some distance between not being as good as Aguero and not being any good at all though. Dybala isnt as good as Aguero but he's certainly not crap. Argentina is a country that consistently produces top players at a disproportionate rate to their population size as well so the best talents in Argentina are always worth following. "€20m by our standards isnt much of a gamble nowadays either. I'm not entirely convinced these links are genuine but casually dismissing one of Argentinas best young players seems a bit reckless.

SAFMUTD

I think you missquoted my post. I don't think his size is a problem though, it's not like he's really small.

I agree there are other forwards rates higher in his age group but none of them are costing less than 50M.

20M is peanuts really, it's around what we paid for Amad and Pellistri.

troylocker

I think theres some distance between not being as good as Aguero and not being any good at all though. Dybala isnt as good as Aguero but he's certainly not crap. Argentina is a country that consistently produces top players at a disproportionate rate to their population size as well so the best talents in Argentina are always worth following. "€20m by our standards isnt much of a gamble nowadays either. I'm not entirely convinced these links are genuine but casually dismissing one of Argentinas best young players seems a bit reckless.
I’ve never called him crap though, I just think you need more than a three month hot streak in a really weak league to earn yourself a move to Manchester United.

troylocker

I think you missquoted my post. I don't think his size is a problem though, it's not like he's really small.

I agree there are other forwards rates higher in his age group but none of them are costing less than 50M.

20M is peanuts really, it's around what we paid for Amad and Pellistri.
I dissagree that 20M is peanuts. For 20M you could buy the entire squads of most of the teams he faces in the Argentinian league. Amad and Pellistri was definitely strange transfers too, and I can’t see how any of those have paid off yet either. Amad has played a grand total of 331 minutes of senior football in a year since he arrived here. I wonder if he ever wonders if he made the right decision coming here. Pellistri has exactly 0 goal contributions in 30 apps as a winger for Alaves since we bought him….

He is a good 6’’ shorter than an average PL center back and probably 30 pounds lighter, so in my mind pretty small, yes.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
This makes sense if Martial and Cavani are leaving. As we need 4 strikers for Rangnick's 2 forward system, we will then have Ronaldo, Greenwood, Alvarez and Rashford (or Elanga if Ralf decides that Rashford should be a number 10 option instead).

SAFMUTD

I dissagree that 20M is peanuts. For 20M you could buy the entire squads of most of the teams he faces in the Argentinian league. Amad and Pellistri was definitely strange transfers too, and I can’t see how any of those have paid off yet either. Amad has played a grand total of 331 minutes of senior football in a year since he arrived here. I wonder if he ever wonders if he made the right decision coming here. Pellistri has exactly 0 goal contributions in 30 apps as a winger for Alaves since we bought him….

He is a good 6’’ shorter than an average PL center back and probably 30 pounds lighter, so in my mind pretty small, yes.
What do you suggest we could realistically buy for 20M that would be a bargain?

Buying him would be buying potential. He could flop or be the next big thing. The other players you are suggesting are not moving for less than 70M at least.

Mane, Salah and Agüero are all 5'7. Alvarez is 5'5-5'6 so not much difference really. If you want an striker that can physically challenge the average premier league center back I think you'll only find Haaland and Vlasihovic.

Bondi77

Probably get a striker from the Championship or League one that would be more up to speed with the Premier league than this Hobbit!

bringbackbebe

His height matters only if Rangnick intends to use him as a target man and make Maguire play long balls to him. Of course, that era of Moyes/Mourinho is past and we have to look forward. If our objective is to play in a system where we have more control via runs & transition into a more technical game, his height is immaterial compared to his overall skill. Bulking up would help though.

croadyman

Still stings like hell he became a City legend and not Utd one due to that bloody "No value in the market" stuff from 09-13

Bondi77

Still stings like hell he became a City legend and not Utd one due to that bloody "No value in the market" stuff from 09-13
Pretty sure Kun went to City because they offered him 200k a week which was huge money back then.

SAFMUTD

Where you getting those stats from?

A quick Google search says he had his debut back in 2019. 40 games scoring 10 and assisting 6 before the 2021 season.

This year he has 46 games played with 23 goals and 14 assists.

::sonny::

Needs new players (Martial, Cavani, Pogba, Van de beek will leave now or at the end of the season)

Status
Not open for further replies.