Julian Assange arrested in Ecuadorian Embassy

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He would probably have been a free man by now if he didn't go to that embassy.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He would probably have been a free man by now if he didn't go to that embassy.
Not sure about that, wouldn't imagine the Americans treating him fairly.

Drifter

American
I admired what Assange and Wikileaks did to expose BNP Members, Trafigura dumping waste in Africa,
Guantanamo Bay procedures . But this personal beef towards Hillary fell right into Putin's lap and undermines a lot that he as done in the past.

Raulduke

Be interesting now to see if his rumoured "dead man's switch" is real. I've found it hard to feel sorry for the guy particularly since he shamelessly exploited the Seth Rich murder and subsequent conspiracy theories to deflect from the likely Russian source of the DNC emails.

Raulduke

I thought the charges were dropped?
They were, he has now been arrested for breaching bail conditions related to that case. I don't like the guy but this has always been about the US getting at him for exposing war crimes and for that reason I think this is a very dangerous precedent.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
They were, he has now been arrested for breaching bail conditions related to that case. I don't like the guy but this has always been about the US getting at him for exposing war crimes and for that reason I think this is a very dangerous precedent.
I agree.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Leaving the sexual assault allegations aside why does everyone seem to hate him?
Because he’s very likely a Russian asset and they’ve been fecking with our democratic process.

And he comes across as a man driven by ego.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Leaving the sexual assault allegations aside why does everyone seem to hate him?
Because he claims to be the bastion of freedom of information when in reality he just leaks whatever suits his agenda and keeps the rest buried from public view.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Swedish prosecutors drop Julian Assange rape investigation
Cool bold font. Maybe you should have read the article yourself before linking to me.

“In order to proceed with the case, Julian Assange would have to be formally notified of the criminal suspicions against him. We cannot expect to receive assistance from Ecuador regarding this. Therefore the investigation is discontinued.

“If he, at a later date, makes himself available, I will be able to decide to resume the investigation immediately.

sport2793

You do realize that he is effectively a pawn of the Kremlin now? His organization played a key part in getting Trump elected, which they did by disseminating info hacked by the Russians. They seemed like willing participants too, when an organization like that should aim to expose flaws on all sides. He might have stood for something several years ago (whistleblowing shady acts by governments is a noble cause) but he has lost credibility in a lot of people's eyes by now.

Raulduke

I'd say a large proportion don't like the fact that he via Wikileaks helped Trump get elected. I'd suspect that if the shoe had've been on the other foot and he released hacked RNC emails to sink Trump he would be hailed as a hero by many who now despise him. Personally, as I mentioned above, I disliked how he used the Seth Rich murder to obscure the source of the hacked DNC emails.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Because he’s very likely a Russian asset and they’ve been fecking with our democratic process.
I see.
So initially he was probably doing wikileaks to expose the US governments crimes or whatever you want to call them but then Russia got in on the act and now anything he does is for their benefit rather than just exposing the US?

I have had very little interest in this so I could be taking it up wrong or is that the gist?