Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

Dolf

Mourinho would make his worst player captain just so he can scream into his ears the entire match

Dan_F

Before you know it, we end up with a game of soccer aid and Geoff Shreeves is interviewing the goalkeeper while the ball is at the other end.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Get in the bin, you silly looking prat.

Cloud7

I'm not sure if the earpiece specifically is a good idea, but football is definitely antiquated relative to other sports. Football is probably the only major sport that doesn't seem to want to embrace any sort of modern developments, and indeed there's often a lot of pushback when anything is tried, or even mentioned.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm not sure if the earpiece specifically is a good idea, but football is definitely antiquated relative to other sports. Football is probably the only major sport that doesn't seem to want to embrace any sort of modern developments, and indeed there's often a lot of pushback when anything is tried, or even mentioned.
In what way? We have goal line technology & VAR as staples of the game now, the refs regularly use spray to stop walls defending free kicks creeping forward, goalkeepers have to stay on their line for penalties now, which would have made Jerzey Dudek’s performance in the 2005 CL final invalid. Those are all pretty big changes which didn’t exist a decade ago. The team captain wearing an earpiece to hear instruction from the coach is something I wouldn’t be that surprised to see come in.

Dr. StrangeHate

Who introduced VAR and goaline technology. I can't imagine football without it now.

Ear piece should only be allowed when the ball is out of play, I see no problem with that. It will make the game much more dynamic allowing coaches to continuously out manoeuvre each other adding another level of excitement.

Red_toad

Where have you been over the last decade?

Cloud7

Who introduced VAR and goaline technology. I can't imagine football without it now.
And it was done with ex players and most of the prominent voices in football kicking and screaming. That’s my point really, football always remember to be resistant to change, and it has to be forced in rather than welcomed.

Dr. StrangeHate

And it was done with ex players and most of the prominent voices in football kicking and screaming. That’s my point really, football always remember to be resistant to change, and it has to be forced in rather than welcomed.
Was it the same in Europe (Germany, Italy, Spain especially) as well, I know in UK a lot of voices were against it.

Wittmann45

Relative to some North American sports, changes in the EPL were behind the times, but even so, in most NA sports, changes have also been slow and heavily resisted/criticized. Replay in the NFL was constantly criticized in the beginning and it was resisted. The extent of the replay available and what plays can be challenged is still debated heavily.

MLB, the NBA and the NHL have also been introducing more replay and this has been resisted and criticized as slowing down the games and being too interventionist. I'm pretty sure that even some of the umpire/referee unions have resisted the use of replays. There has been more debate recently, I think warranted, about the NBA and how much replays can potentially slow the game down, especially in the playoffs and in particular near the end of games

Ear piece should only be allowed when the ball is out of play, I see no problem with that. It will make the game much more dynamic allowing coaches to continuously out manoeuvre each other adding another level of excitement.
That would be better than constant communication. In the NFL, one coach can communicate to the quarterback through a one way microphone (same applies to one designated player on defense). Communication is allowed after plays and open until there is 15 seconds left on the 40 second play clock.

Most of the communication is play calling. Some QBs, like Manning or Brady, are/were known to be able to completely ignore these play calls. Others, particularly younger quarterbacks, are not only told plays but the coach can also relay messages about the plays the defense might run depending on the way they set up. Some teams run faster offenses and get to the line of scrimmage faster so the coaches can see the defense and communicate to the QB up to the point of snapping the ball, including adjustments that should be made or who might be blitzing. So you could see football managers utilizing it differently and a lot might depend on the relationship between the manager and the captain

I was watching rugby (I think) a few years ago and it was interesting that the ref was in constant communication with another official watching the game from a booth in the stadium. I think that system is pretty unique and it's interesting. That constant communication also probably betters the officiating on the field and speeds up the replay process.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think it's such a bad idea if one player on the team has an ear piece.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't think it's such a bad idea if one player on the team has an ear piece.
I'd also imagine it would not necessarily be the coach communicating, but whoever has the best good voice and temper for it. Like in F1: the person communicating with the driver has a kinda clear and pleasant voice, and sounds vaguely positive/supportive no matter what's happening. And comms likely would be about major tactical issues or choices, not 'behind you!'

Lynty

Stupid idea.

How would the captain relay the information to players, or does Julian want timeouts and constant stoppages as well.

Nick7

I'd also imagine it would not necessarily be the coach communicating, but whoever has the best good voice and temper for it. Like in F1: the person communicating with the driver has a kinda clear and pleasant voice, and sounds vaguely positive/supportive no matter what's happening. And comms likely would be about major tactical issues or choices, not 'behind you!'
Bono, my legs are gone.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That's the dumbest thing I've heard. American football happens in spurts with a play clock where each play is exclusive. Football is more comparable to basketball, as the game flows without interruption.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's the dumbest thing I've heard. American football happens in spurts with a play clock where each play is exclusive. Football is more comparable to basketball, as the game flows without interruption.
It's flows fairly slowly though. It's not quite basketball or ice hockey in that sense. There are plenty of times where a captain could be told that it's time for the variant where the DM sits back more, or simple tweaks like that which can really affect the dynamics of a match.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It's flows fairly slowly though. It's not quite basketball or ice hockey in that sense. There are plenty of times where a captain could be told that it's time for the variant where the DM sits back more, or simple tweaks like that which can really affect the dynamics of a match.
Surely instructions as simple as that can be delivered from the touchline? In the NFL, the communication happens between the QB, offensive coordinator and assistants who are often perched in the box with an aerial view of the field to see patterns in the defence and relay which specific play to run. Football neither needs nor demands that level of micromanagement.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The only real chance of anyone but Abu Dhabi or the dippers getting the CL gone. Feck off.

acnumber9

Last years hipster choice not working out too well. I hope this years favour of the month does better.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Other than tonight what else has disappointed about him? I don't follow German football
Bayern has played well below their capabilites for months. Super shaky at the back, weaker than the sum of their parts going forward.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Other than tonight what else has disappointed about him? I don't follow German football
Bayern have been average throughout the season, the start was better but it has gotten gradually worse with the season. It was said previously as well that they wouldn't stand a chance against a team like Liverpool. Though it turns out they couldn't defeat Villarreal to even get to a team like Liverpool.

The quality of the BL is at its weakest since 2003. If Dortmund were anywhere close to a decent team they would be walking away with the title, there issue is that they're team is even worse and therefore Bayern are still odds on to win.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His lineups are always a laugh on livescore, at least

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think so. He won't get sacked now, but the way Bayern exited both the CL and the DFB Pokal has been unacceptable for Bayern's standards.
Bayern paid €25m for him. During a pandemic! He'd have to feck up the league to get sacked this summer. They even gave Ancelotti and Kovac a second season and they were much more hopeless than Nagelsmann.