Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Didn't knew that, I guess the low contact clause was part of the deal. Still isn't supposedly the clause to be activated until summer? How did Bayern agreed it before it clicked? It only means Bayern had already agreed with the player and that is just a formality until summer starts and the clause is activated.
He currently has a clause in his contract if I'm not mistaken but the fee drops this summer. After that it depends on the terms of the clause, how you are supposed to trigger it and when.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Didn't knew that, I guess the low contact clause was part of the deal. Still isn't supposedly the clause to be activated until summer? How did Bayern agreed it before it clicked? It only means Bayern had already agreed with the player and that is just a formality until summer starts and the clause is activated.
Mate, everybody knew of Upamecano‘s release clause. Why didn’t he go to Bayern on a free a year earlier and pockets €20m signing bonus? Correct, because there was no deal in place.
Every club could have signed him. He wasn’t cheaper for Bayern.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't think it's a clause but more of a unwritten promise, again I'm only guessing. But it makes sense since Leipzig's CEO just mentioned it. Like you say maybe the lesser clubs which are all of the rest of the Bundesliga clubs agree with the players that if Bayern comes they will let them go in order to be more attractive to the player.

Also if all the other clubs hate them and would like to dethrone them as you say well they are doing the shitiest job I've ever seen. Because from my perspective all they do is feed their best players to Bayern for low fees. Not the smartest strategy if you want to dethrone them.
It's just a pecking order thing. If Everton would be playing hardball with every player they have when a bigger club comes calling, then the most promising players would think twice about going there, and prefer a club that's known to be less difficult to get out of. Same with every club in Germany bar Bayern (although even Bayern sometimes have to let go of players against their will; see Thiago).

Also, how many times in the five or so years did Bayern actually get a key player from another German club playing for CL spots, or a potential title rival? This is a nice double whammy now, but most of their good players in recent years have come from smaller clubs or from abroad. The main reason other German clubs never make it up is because they are below everyone (not just Bayern) in the international top (Leverkusen, Dortmund, Leipzig, Wolfsburg: none of them can hold on to players when Chelsea, Barcelona, or Madrid come calling) and because of gross mismanagement (let's just mention Schalke here again for good measure).

SAFMUTD

Not sure how you mean that? It's not like he's joining Bayern right now. To my knowledge, these agreements are always technically pre-agreements, that do not actually kick in until the summer transfer market opens. Reference to the clause coming active in the summer probably mean that clubs couldn't use it for the winter transfer window.

This was public information btw, see e.g. here, where United are mentioned as a clubs interested in triggering the clause. So for me, the question remains: why didn't United, or Liverpool, or one of the other half a dozen clubs mentioned as potentially being interested?
I think they were but Upamecano had already chose Bayern. Again I have nothing to back that up just my guess.

JPRouve

Scout
By the way clubs like Leipzig do not want to know that they are going to lose a player like Upamecano on July 1st, they want to know it months before that because it allows them to work the market.

SAFMUTD

Mate, everybody knew of Upamecano‘s release clause. Why didn’t he go to Bayern on a free a year earlier and pockets €20m signing bonus? Correct, because there was no deal in place.
Every club could have signed him. He wasn’t cheaper for Bayern.
He couldnt go on a free last year, he would have had to play this season still with Leipzig and under that circumstances maybe Leipzig would have preferred to sell him to the highest bidder.

For sure Upamecano agreed to sign a new contract but including a low release clause was a must. Basically please sign so we get some money for you and the player agrees with the condition that the club won't interfere with a potential move.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think they were but Upamecano had already chose Bayern. Again I have nothing to back that up just my guess.
That's possible, but I would suggest that this speaks more to Bayern being effective than to Leipzig being weak. I mean, what can they do if the clause is triggered and the player has a personal agreement? Or at least, I don't suppose they can demand the contract signing to be put off while they run around Europe trying to get someone else to be interested in the player. (And I'll point out again that Upamecano is a French national; he's unlikely to have grown up with any particular fondness for Bayern.)

SAFMUTD

It's just a pecking order thing. If Everton would be playing hardball with every player they have when a bigger club comes calling, then the most promising players would think twice about going there, and prefer a club that's known to be less difficult to get out of. Same with every club in Germany bar Bayern (although even Bayern sometimes have to let go of players against their will; see Thiago).

Also, how many times in the five or so years did Bayern actually get a key player from another German club playing for CL spots, or a potential title rival? This is a nice double whammy now, but most of their good players in recent years have come from smaller clubs or from abroad. The main reason other German clubs never make it up is because they are below everyone (not just Bayern) in the international top (Leverkusen, Dortmund, Leipzig, Wolfsburg: none of them can hold on to players when Chelsea, Barcelona, or Madrid come calling) and because of gross mismanagement (let's just mention Schalke here again for good measure).
Totally agree with you mate, they are trapped, they can't compete with Bayern in history, prestige nor financially. But for sure they aren't doing a thing to break free from it.

Is as if the other clubs accept they are inferior to Bayern and they're ok with it.

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
Please troll elsewhere
There's nothing wrong my post and it's definitely not a troll post. Ole beat him 5-0 and I highly doubt that Nagelsmann, if he was given the job instead of Ole after Jose, couldn't have managed to see an overhaul like Ole did brilliantly. Don't think he'd be able to keep us at 3rd & 2nd place either. PL is a different kettle of fish compared to Bayernliga.

Both won nothing major so far (if you don't count Ole's Norwegian championships and cups) so for the time being Ole is clearly a better manager for me. Sorry if that hurts you.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
He extended last summer and his previous contract was expiring in 2021.

It's a similar story like with Werner. Both were 'supposed' to leave earlier with a higher release clause, but when those moves didn't materialize both agreed short extensions (just 2 years) so that they wouldn't leave on a free, in exchange for lower release clauses.

The 42m release clause of Upamecano was basically a way to codify the transfer value of "one year left on the contract".

JPRouve

Scout
Totally agree with you mate, they are trapped, they can't compete with Bayern in history, prestige nor financially. But for sure they aren't doing a thing to break free from it.

Is as if the other clubs accept they are inferior to Bayern and they're ok with it.
What do you want them to do, what can they do? And they are inferior to Bayern it's a fact, no amount of delusion will change it.

Just a reminder about Bayern, people were astonished when they first tried to negotiate with Athletic but then simply paid Javi Martinez clause, they did the same thing for Lucas Hernandez. I think that some of you don't realize what Bayern is, they are an actual mastodons within football, in germany and on the globe, no one is actually safe unless you put genuinely ridiculous clauses which players won't accept unless they are playing for one of the other mastodons.

SAFMUTD

What do you want them to do, what can they do? And they are inferior to Bayern it's a fact, no amount of delusion will change it.

Just a reminder about Bayern, people were astonished when they first tried to negotiate with Athletic but then simply paid Javi Martinez clause, they did the same thing for Lucas Hernandez. I think that some of you don't realize what Bayern is, they are an actual mastodons within football, in germany and on the globe, no one is actually safe unless you put genuinely ridiculous clauses which players won't accept unless they are playing for one of the other mastodons.
Well they can start by increasing their release clauses for a change, if a player wants to move then giving preference to foreign clubs over Bayern, even sacrificing profit as Spurs do.

In that way they'll force Bayern to either overpay for players or try their luck from outside the league. They getting players from their top rivals has a double effect it doesn't just strengthen Bayern but it weakens their opposition as well.

It's not easy Bayern is miles ahead of them, but the distance will keep getting bigger and bigger if they keep operating the same way.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I don't think it's so much acceptance as inability and incompetence. Inability for a club like Dortmund, that was actually going toe-to-toe under Klopp, and then fell off a serious cliff and are really far off again. Bayern is too big to fall that far; see how quickly they recovered from Ancelotti and Kovac. Or for a club like Leipzig (or Wolfsburg or Frankfurt now), that's doing very well for their means, but is still very far off Bayern in terms of personnel, finances, and international attraction. And incompetence for clubs like HSV and Schalke, that have huge financial potential but will both be in the 2. BL next year.

That inability is surmountable of course; Frankfurt are making their way up the finance ladder, and Dortmund is fairly high up already. Give it a bit more time, and they might have gotten themselves in a place where they won't drop down as deeply anymore when they have some bad luck, and will be able to really start challenging Bayern. But it's a big gap for now.

To be fair, I suppose there may be some acceptance as well. At clubs like Leipzig, Wolfsburg, and Frankfurt, that have been far off Bayern's pace for at least a decade (Leipzig even several divisions away), it's probably considered a good accomplishment to finish second or in the CL spots. But that won't stay that way; every club will want to top what they last achieved, and Dortmund is definitely eyeing the title every single season.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Well they can start by increasing their release clauses for a change, if a player wants to more then giving preference to fording clubs over Bayern, even sacrificing profit as Spurs do.

It's not easy Bayern is miles ahead of them, but the distance will keep getting bigger and bigger if they keep operating the same way.
You don't get it. That Upamecano agreed the extension at all, was a concession to Leipzig. He would have been free in the summer.

Take a day, or two, or half a year, educate yourself on the facts, think about them, then return so you can spare us from having to read those countless completely clueless posts from you.

JPRouve

Scout
Well they can start by increasing their release clauses for a change, if a player wants to move then giving preference to foreign clubs over Bayern, even sacrificing profit as Spurs do.

In that way they'll force Bayern to either overpay for players or try their luck from outside the league. They getting players from their top rivals has a double effect it doesn't just strengthen Bayern but it weakens their opposition as well.

You realize that only the players can do that, they are not slave, clubs can't impose contracts and they can't sell them abroad if the player doesn't want to go abroad.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You don't get it. That Upamecano agreed the extension at all, was a concession to Leipzig. He would have been free in the summer.

Take a day, or two, or half a year, educate yourself on the facts, think about them, then return so you can spare us from having to read those countless completely clueless posts from you.
That could have been said a little less aggressively. We are actually having a good discussion about this now...

SAFMUTD

You are the one who doesn't get it, yes Upamecano was free this summer. But it was a year ago, Leipzig could have either sell him to any club or sent him to the reserves. So its pretty much a favor both ways, the club lets the player go for cheap instead of loosing him for free a year later and the player gets to basically choose whatever club he wants to join and is not threatened of being sent to the reserves for not renewing.

SAFMUTD

You realize that only the players can do that, they are not slave, clubs can't impose contracts and they can't sell them abroad if the player doesn't want to go abroad.
Players don't set their own release clauses they are negotiated with the club. It's easy, see Spurs. You want to go to any other premier league club? Ok we ask for 100M, but if you want to go to another league then we could accept a lower fee. They did it with Bale and Modric, and will surely do it with Kane is the opportunity arises.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
There's nothing wrong my post and it's definitely not a troll post. Ole beat him 5-0 and I highly doubt that Nagelsmann, if he was given the job instead of Ole after Jose, couldn't have managed to see an overhaul like Ole did brilliantly. Don't think he'd be able to keep us at 3rd & 2nd place either. PL is a different kettle of fish compared to Bayernliga.

Both won nothing major so far (if you don't count Ole's Norwegian championships and cups) so for the time being Ole is clearly a better manager for me. Sorry if that hurts you.
You are obviously entitled to your opinion that Ole is clearly a better manager than Nagelsmann.
But even on a United forum a poll wouldn’t go in your favor.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

So...why did Leipzig progress instead of Utd?

JPRouve

Scout
Players don't set their own release clauses they are negotiated with the club. It's easy, see Spurs. You want to go to any other premier league club? Ok we ask for 100M, but if you want to go to another league then we could accept a lower fee. They did it with Bale and Modric, and will surely do it with Kane is the opportunity arises.
You need to have the player under contract to set a fee. You are somehow missing a crucial step here, the player doesn't sign for you if you don't accept a clause that he deems acceptable.

SAFMUTD

I don't think it's so much acceptance as inability and incompetence. Inability for a club like Dortmund, that was actually going toe-to-toe under Klopp, and then fell off a serious cliff and are really far off again. Bayern is too big to fall that far; see how quickly they recovered from Ancelotti and Kovac. Or for a club like Leipzig (or Wolfsburg or Frankfurt now), that's doing very well for their means, but is still very far off Bayern in terms of personnel, finances, and international attraction. And incompetence for clubs like HSV and Schalke, that have huge financial potential but will both be in the 2. BL next year.

That inability is surmountable of course; Frankfurt are making their way up the finance ladder, and Dortmund is fairly high up already. Give it a bit more time, and they might have gotten themselves in a place where they won't drop down as deeply anymore when they have some bad luck, and will be able to really start challenging Bayern. But it's a big gap for now.

To be fair, I suppose there may be some acceptance as well. At clubs like Leipzig, Wolfsburg, and Frankfurt, that have been far off Bayern's pace for at least a decade (Leipzig even several divisions away), it's probably considered a good accomplishment to finish second or in the CL spots. But that won't stay that way; every club will want to top what they last achieved, and Dortmund is definitely eyeing the title every single season.
Yes I think Dortmund is one of the clubs that actually wants to challenge them, maybe that's why they have changed their approach to get players from outside Germany who are not emotionally attached to Bayern. Maybe hoping it be easier to retain them than German players.

For all the other clubs I just don't see it, maybe Leipzig but again they just proved they're ok feeding Bayern. All the others don't seem aggressive or ambitious enough, I really don't picture any other clubs that really aspires to a title there, all the other ones are just in the mid table limbo too far of the top to actually dream of winning something.

SAFMUTD

You need to have the player under contract to set a fee. You are somehow missing a crucial step here, the player doesn't sign for you if you don't accept a clause that he deems acceptable.
Yes, that's why you set high release clauses from the start, that way you are not caught with having a 35M release fee for a 60M valuated player. In Spain they do it all the time, see the Barca kids they have release clauses of 300M or something stupid like that.

I know the situation is different and I'm not saying they should replicate Barca with their stupid release clauses but they could do it like other clubs in Spain. With release clauses that are above the market value that way they'll have room to negotiate. Bayerns wants you? Ok they have to pay the full fee, another club wants you? Ok we can negotiate.

It's not as easy as it sounds I know since many talented players, specially Germans, that are in that league dream to play for Bayern so signing a clause that basically makes it harder for them to join Bayern won't be as appealing as the current model.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Yes, that's why you set high release clauses from the start, that way you are not caught with having a 35M release fee for a 60M valuated player. In Spain they do it all the time, see the Barca kids they have release clauses of 300M or something stupid like that.

I know the situation is different and I'm not saying they should replicate Barca with their stupid release clauses but they could do it like other clubs in Spain. With release clauses that are above the market value that way they'll have room to negotiate. Bayerns wants you? Ok they have to pay the full fee, another club wants you? Ok we can negotiate.

It's not as easy as it sounds I know since many talented players, specially Germans, that are in that league dream to play for Bayern so signing a clause that basically makes it harder for them to join Bayern won't be as appealing as the current model.
What makes you think clubs like Dortmund haven't tried to negotiate higher clauses? Or do you think they should become better negotiators?

I don't think these Bundesliga clubs have as much negotiation power as you think they potentially have.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

In Spain, release clauses are legally mandatory.
The fact is that no player of Upamecano's quality would sign for Leipzig if they weren't realistic about being a stepping stone club for top talents.
Either that or the people running the club are really dumb. Who knows.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's a good one actually. Or set a clause that just stops Bayern from getting them cheaply. Again focusing on Upamecano - that may likely not have mattered to him, given he already had a lot of international interest.
Yes I think Dortmund is one of the clubs that actually wants to challenge them, maybe that's why they have changed their approach to get players from outside Germany who are not emotionally attached to Bayern. Maybe hoping it be easier to retain them than German players.

For all the other clubs I just don't see it, maybe Leipzig but again they just proved they're ok feeding Bayern. All the others don't seem aggressive or ambitious enough, I really don't picture any other clubs that really aspires to a title there, all the other ones are just in the mid table limbo too far of the top to actually dream of winning something.
Yeah, it takes time. Someone was pointing out here or elsewhere that Frankfurt have now worked their way up into the international top 20 financially, so if they can now achieve sustained CL qualification on top of that, then they're really building a good platform to mount a sustained title challenge. But it's slow going.

JPRouve

Scout

What do you mean by "you set high release clauses", you realize that the club doesn't set them unilaterally and that it's part of the contract that a player may or may not sign?

SAFMUTD

What makes you think clubs like Dortmund haven't tried to negotiate higher clauses? Or do you think they should become better negotiators?

I don't think these Bundesliga clubs have as much negotiation power as you think they potentially have.
I don't know if they have tried or not, all I know is that Bundesliga clauses are ridiculously low compared to other leagues. Hence why I think they could negotiate better clauses.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't know if they have tried or not, all I know is that Bundesliga clauses are ridiculously low compared to other leagues. Hence why I think they could negotiate better clauses.
How could they then? You don't think they tried that?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
42m is not ridiculously low if it's negotiated at a point where the player has only one year left on the contract and is sure to want to leave sooner rather than later. As I said, it's a market value of one season left, written as a release fee into a contract extension so everyone can plan.

Boavista

Yeah you could see it that way, but I wouldn't say they lack ambition as much as they simply lack money. They have to be realistic in terms of their capabilities. Acting with too much ambition means taking risks that can come back to bite them. The reality simply is that the gap to most teams is so large, that what you called the double effect in another post is really not as relevant as you think. To most teams behind Bayern it makes no difference whether they're losing their players to Bayern or to someone else, because Bayern would just buy someone else and not be any weaker for it. So that gap exists no matter if they refuse or not.

Clubs that have ambition either don't have the money to compete yet, or don't have the money nor any sense if you look at the likes of Schalke. As hopeless as Bayern's dominance may seem, clubs are growing in their shadow. Unfortunately for them Bayern is also growing constantly, so the gap is unlikely to ever close entirely but I don't think it's necessary to be on completely equal level financially to sustain a challenge.

SAFMUTD

That's a good one actually. Or set a clause that just stops Bayern from getting them cheaply. Again focusing on Upamecano - that may likely not have mattered to him, given he already had a lot of international interest.

Yeah, it takes time. Someone was pointing out here or elsewhere that Frankfurt have now worked their way up into the international top 20 financially, so if they can now achieve sustained CL qualification on top of that, then they're really building a good platform to mount a sustained title challenge. But it's slow going.
Hopefully it clicks for them and we can see several teams challenging for the Bundesliga. Someone mentioned here some time ago that Bayern has more Bundesliga titles than all the other clubs combined. They won 15 of the last 20 titles, and are on their way to win their 9th in a row. It has got to the point where Bundesliga has become a given that Bayern will win it but you see it because other clubs have some interesting youngsters now and then.

SAFMUTD

42m is not ridiculously low if it's negotiated at a point where the player has only one year left on the contract and is sure to want to leave sooner rather than later. As I said, it's a market value of one season left, written as a release fee into a contract extension so everyone can plan.
I'm not speaking on that case specifically, they were against the wall there was no way Upamecano would have agreed to sign a high fee. But they could have prevented that. I mean seeing it as a Leipzig fan you would have expected a better deal than 35M 2 years ago wouldn't you?

SAFMUTD

What do you mean by "you set high release clauses", you realize that the club doesn't set them unilaterally and that it's part of the contract that a player may or may not sign?
Yes I'm aware is a negotiation between the player and club, but it's easier to negotiate a high clause when the player is an unknown. Not all players are child super stars like Haaland, most are just happy to have the chance and then the club is in a stronger position to negotiate a higher clause.

They do it in Spain all the time, Kounde has a 70M clause, how did Sevilla get him to agree that? Well they sign him when he was young, unrated and didn't worth what he worths today. Same case can be replicated to players in the Bundesliga.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I'm not speaking on that case specifically, they were against the wall there was no way Upamecano would have agreed to sign a high fee. But they could have prevented that. I mean seeing it as a Leipzig fan you would have expected a better deal than 35M 2 years ago wouldn't you?
Probably yes, they'd expected to have sold him earlier for more. But that's the thing - he'd have left earlier, and then in the season after he didn't leave for more, they got to a CL semifinal with important contributions from him, which is worth a lot too, financially and in other ways.