Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would be funny if Kovac ends up being a dud now that the Nagelsmann option is gone. Good jump up from Nagelsmann though, definitely a club where he can achieve more and solidify his reputation as a great young manager.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Would be funny if Kovac ends up being a dud now that the Nagelsmann option is gone. Good jump up from Nagelsmann though, definitely a club where he can achieve more and solidify his reputation as a great young manager.
Yes. I always had the feeling that they took someone who seems as likely to fail as Kovac because worst case they would use him as an interim coach and tap up Nagelsmann over christmas. Guess I was wrong.

stu_1992

Very strange to announce this move so early. Why say you're leaving now? Aren't players more inclined to down tools? And then on top of that, why sign an agreement with another club in the same division and announce it? The games against each other are going to be all about that. I'm not sure I'd be okay with him staying the year if I was a fan of the club. Can't you trust them to hit tap up players? Of course "officially" he won't, but we all know it goes on.

I don't know. Seems odd. Whatever.

Abizzz

From Hoffenheim to Leipzig... natural progression.

Hope he fails miserably, fear he won't though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Very strange to announce this move so early. Why say you're leaving now? Aren't players more inclined to down tools? And then on top of that, why sign an agreement with another club in the same division and announce it? The games against each other are going to be all about that. I'm not sure I'd be okay with him staying the year if I was a fan of the club. Can't you trust them to hit tap up players? Of course "officially" he won't, but we all know it goes on.

I don't know. Seems odd. Whatever.
His release clause has been public knowledge for a very long time and ever since he's been (strongly) linked by the press to several open posts, with him and his players always having to answer questions about it. This way it will probably be less of an annoyance to him.

They didn't have to go for broke right from the off. They were incredibly naive.
He played 3 at the back if I remember correctly - Liverpools front 3 carved them open easily. He wasn't slow to change it once he saw it wasn't working though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He played 3 at the back if I remember correctly - Liverpools front 3 carved them open easily. He wasn't slow to change it once he saw it wasn't working though.
Can't really remember the game but I think they had already conceded a couple of goals by then.

Madzik_92

Nagelsmann vs Tuchel vs Rose. Which coach would make us a great attacking unit ?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Everyone says he's the next great manager in the making. We should consider him for next season IMO.

Sanche7

Bring him in a get the best German youngsters like Kai Havertz and even Werner if he suits the way Nagelsmann wants to play. Bring in Sancho too

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm interested to see how he responds when they lose but he does seem to be very gifted and his teams always score. Looking at his Hoffenheim record there were only 3 games last season where they didn't score and a shedload where they scored 2 or more. The better squad at Leipzig seems to be turning the draws he'd have with Hoffenheim into wins too but its a long season.

Alabaster Codify7

The next Klopp isn't he. Seems ridiculously good for his age, charismatic too. If he can do a few reasonably big things for Leipzig in this and next season, a huge club will go in for him surely.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Everyone says he's the next great manager in the making. We should consider him for next season IMO.
While Nagelsmann would be a dream managerial appointment, realistically speaking, he will not agree to join United next season — abandoning Leipzig just one year into the latest project would be a bit foolish, especially when they provide him with good conditions and a finely tuned administrative structure for now, and have a genuine chance to challenge Bayern (and their dominance in the Bundesliga). To add, he is still a bit naïve and should develop slowly with middling expectations instead of taking up an incredibly challenging/cynical job too early in his career and potentially sidetracking his progression. We should monitor his growth and get our ducks in a row for the time being, see if he's interested in managing United in a few years (2022 or most likely 2023 when his current deal expires), try to seduce him behind closed doors and build a structure that will be suited to him...which is kinda what City did before Guardiola's appointment in 2013.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The victory over Benfica was more due to our absences: we had to recruit a RB from the B team, we had to include Fejsa on our 11 and he's not totally fit yet and Rafa had a slight knock in the previous game and was left out by precaution, and we had to rely on a B team player to make his first game in the senior team from the becnh because we had no more options to refresh the midfield.

I actually enjoyed how Leipzig pressed us so high: it's brave, and courageous. But you could check that they are a bit fragile when defending against teams that play well with width.
They could had lost the lead if it wasn't for poor finishing by Benfica (despite Benfica doing a poor game overall). When Rafa came on we had more width and their defense could not cope with it and we could create 3-4 clear cut chances (one of them was the 1-2 goal).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
While Nagelsmann would be a dream managerial appointment, realistically speaking, he will not agree to join United next season — abandoning Leipzig just one year into the latest project would be a bit foolish, especially when they provide him with good conditions and a finely tuned administrative structure for now, and have a genuine chance to challenge Bayern (and their dominance in the Bundesliga). To add, he is still a bit naïve and should develop slowly with middling expectations instead of taking up an incredibly challenging/cynical job too early in his career and potentially sidetracking his progression. We should monitor his growth and get our ducks in a row for the time being, see if he's interested in managing United in a few years (2022 or most likely 2023 when his current deal expires), try to seduce him behind closed doors and build a structure that will be suited to him...which is kinda what City did before Guardiola's appointment in 2013.
Yea that's true. Nageslmann going to RB Leipzig was a brave move considering Bayern were very interesting in bringing him in. Now that he is there, he should stay there for atleast 3 years and use that exciting young team.

Leipzig have not only the finances but also arguably the best scouting network in the world to support Nagelsmann. The only question is how he will be able to manage the expectations of the young players he has who would want to move abroad. They were lucky with Werner this window in that Bayern didn't really show a concrete level of interest, while Werner didn't want to move to A.Madrid, and therefore managed to convinced Werner to sign a new deal. That deal though obviously has a buyout clause so the risk of Werner leaving next season is high.

Alongside him you have Upamecano, Konate, Klostermann who would also be in the list of bigger clubs to try and purchase. Upamecano has contract issues so he might go if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Leipzig really is a goldmine of young talented players. Besides the four already mentioned (all under 23), they have Haidara, Mukiele, Laimer, Lookman, Nkunku, Cunha, Adams as well under 23 and are regular players (and I'm sure I've missed others). So there is a lot of promise but also the risk of losing a lot of these players due to them wanting to move to bigger clubs.

They are my pick to win the BL and I really hope they do. Though they make a mockery of the 50+1 rule in Germany, they are a very well run club and not at all like the moneybags club the BL generally want to avoid with that rule.

LVGSdive

We should be going for him if Ole doesn't work out. Pep and Klopp won't be around forever and they will probably be looking at getting this guy to replace him.

Nick7

Yea that's true. Nageslmann going to RB Leipzig was a brave move considering Bayern were very interesting in bringing him in. Now that he is there, he should stay there for atleast 3 years and use that exciting young team.

Leipzig have not only the finances but also arguably the best scouting network in the world to support Nagelsmann. The only question is how he will be able to manage the expectations of the young players he has who would want to move abroad. They were lucky with Werner this window in that Bayern didn't really show a concrete level of interest, while Werner didn't want to move to A.Madrid, and therefore managed to convinced Werner to sign a new deal. That deal though obviously has a buyout clause so the risk of Werner leaving next season is high.

Alongside him you have Upamecano, Konate, Klostermann who would also be in the list of bigger clubs to try and purchase. Upamecano has contract issues so he might go if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Leipzig really is a goldmine of young talented players. Besides the four already mentioned (all under 23), they have Haidara, Mukiele, Laimer, Lookman, Nkunku, Cunha, Adams as well under 23 and are regular players (and I'm sure I've missed others). So there is a lot of promise but also the risk of losing a lot of these players due to them wanting to move to bigger clubs.

They are my pick to win the BL and I really hope they do. Though they make a mockery of the 50+1 rule in Germany, they are a very well run club and not at all like the moneybags club the BL generally want to avoid with that rule.
Haidara really impressed me last year when Salzburg played Leipzig off the park. How’s he done up in Germany

Andy_Cole

We need to be all over him. We should wait if needs be and get an interim until he’s available.

We need to go all out for this guy.

Wayne's World

His performances in Europe haven't been good at all. Only real downside to his managerial career so far.

In Rainbows

We need to be all over him. We should wait if needs be and get an interim until he’s available.

We need to go all out for this guy.
We shouldn't just be restricted to him. We should be keeping track of Marco Rose of MGladbach too. The point is we need managers in that vein.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Can't imagine he leaves RB after one or two years. He's committed and has decades ahead of him, so there's no pressure of time. One of those coaches who stays until he feels his project comes to an end. He could've left Hoffenheim much earlier ans nobody would've been angry about it yet he sticked around until this season. If I were to guess I'd say he'll be at Leipzig for at least 3 years before he moves on.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Can't imagine he leaves RB after one or two years. He's committed and has decades ahead of him, so there's no pressure of time. One of those coaches who stays until he feels his project comes to an end. He could've left Hoffenheim much earlier ans nobody would've been angry about it yet he sticked around until this season. If I were to guess I'd say he'll be at Leipzig for at least 3 years before he moves on.
Especially as it’s high risk coming to United at this point and with the club in this state.

Could seriously derail his career a bit or massively damage his confidence if things continue to go belly up (though I doubt it, he seems a very intelligent guy). And as you said, lots of time on his side. He doesn’t have to take such a (high) risk at this point.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
United aren't smart enough to enquire for Nagelsmann services but I feel Nagelsmann is certainly smart enough to distance himself from us at this point.

Last edited:

gulli_G

United are smart enough to enquire for Nagelsmann services but I feel Nagelsmann is certainly smart enough to distance himself from us at this point.
Why? He would have his first big job and have a chance to take what he has to another level.