Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
If Bayern win the CL that will be a treble. Will Nagelsmann want to come to the club under such pressure?
I'm not talking about next season. Bayern will keep Flick no matter what. And Nagelsmann will stay at Leipzig for a few more years.

But the next time Bayern needs a manager they will surely contact Nagelsmann. We were already linked with him when he was still at Hoffenheim. That's when he told the press that he is a Bayern fan.

Apparently Hoeneß was the one arguing against Nagelsmann because of his age and his inexperience. But Hoeneß also said that he rates Nagelsmann highly.

I'd put money on it that Nagelsmann will become the coach of Bayern in the next ~5 years.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I wouldn't be surprised, while I did say I had no idea who he was, apparently he was very highly rated within Germany even before he started managing Hoffenheim, when he was managing their youth teams. I think there were rumours of Bayern wanting to sign him viewing him as their manager in a few years but he routinely rejected them to stay at Hoffenheim. Wouldn't be surprised if his reputation went beyond the German borders after he took over Hoffenheim.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Barca should be doing everything they can to get him, but their board is a disaster so maybe he'd turn them down. Same with United, is a no brainer for us to step up and compete at the very top, but I don't think its realistic. Oles done well but we're never going to be anything more than a top 4 competitor with him IMO.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Barca should be doing everything they can to get him, but their board is a disaster so maybe he'd turn them down. Same with United, is a no brainer for us to step up and compete at the very top, but I don't think its realistic. Oles done well but we're never going to be anything more than a top 4 competitor with him IMO.
People underestimate how this young generation of managers would likely turn down a lot of these hollywood clubs for more serious projects. They are not impressed by a big name if the club is run by idiots and the players like messi and pique are unmanagable and won't respect him.

He would likely stay there for a year, hurt his brand and his reputation

L1nk

Jesus lads, are we already talking about replacing Ole with Nagelsmann despite Ole still being in charge of United for the foreseeable future with no indication from the board that they want to replace him in the immediate years? That's fairly disgraceful to say the least.
As much as I like Ole, Ole is nowhere near in the league of managers like Nagelsmann, managers like him are the future of this game, the guys still only 33, I mean he's younger than Messi and Ronaldo. Guy was coaching U19 4 years ago.

He took Hoffenheim from 15th to 4th in his first season
Qualified for the CL in his second season
Finished 3rd with Leipzig in his first season with them
Lost Timo Werner their goalscorer yet he's now taken them to CL Semi Final

Whatever big club gets him will have a fantastic manager with great ideas for many years to come, i'd love to see what he does with a lot of resources.

Inevitably we will bungle about with managers though and miss out on these kinds of managers like we did with others.

MetoTTT

People underestimate how this young generation of managers would likely turn down a lot of these hollywood clubs for more serious projects. They are not impressed by a big name if the club is run by idiots and the players like messi and pique are unmanagable and won't respect him.

He would likely stay there for a year, hurt his brand and his reputation
This. That's why Wenger never gone there. At Arsenal he had a job for life even without winning the ECL.

TsuWave

We need to bag him.

We fumbled with Klopp, hopefully we do it this time, and do it right.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’d love him to be our next manager. He’s the man to win us a league title imo. Please don’t let a rival get him!

Ole has done a great job with recruitment, if we aren’t challenging next season maybe move him to DOF? It doesn’t need to get ugly.

sp_107

Ole's resurgence put us in a difficult situation to chase any other manager now.
Rangnick and Nagelsmann would be a dream combo.

Our story for last 7 years, missing on best potential and signing players not right for us.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Not saying he can’t be successful at big clubs with world class players / egos, but promising young managers don’t always manage to be equally successful at bigger clubs (see AVB)

Machine Elements

His Leipzig team looked a properly coached team. Just what we need imo.

We missed out on Pep. We missed out on Klopp. Both seemed to happen because of the sentimental reasons.

I hope we don't miss the chance to get Nagelsmann for another sentimental reason.

crossy1686

career ending
I’d love him to be our next manager. He’s the man to win us a league title imo. Please don’t let a rival get him!

Ole has done a great job with recruitment, if we aren’t challenging next season maybe move him to DOF? It doesn’t need to get ugly.
Surely he should come close to winning his own league before a move to a team like United where winning the league is an expectation?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Nagelsmann is the kind of coach that gives absolutely no guarantee in a top club. Brilliant with average teams when he can mold his players, unpredictable when there's high profile players in the squad. Sarri was brilliant with Napoli and failed at Chelsea and Juventus because he didn't have the profile of players he wanted and couldn't make his players play exactly the way he wanted to. Maybe he'll be great, maybe he won't. But hell of a coach anyway.

AshRK

We would have to really convince him to be our manager. If woodward is the one doing the meeting I fear Julian will just walk away from the meeting.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've been banging this drum for a long time now and i'm not surprised in the way Nagelsmann has progressed from his very first day in charge at Hoffenheim where the club was looking doomed for relegation.

I think if it comes to replacing Ole, I personally wouldn't look past Nagelsmann or Marco Rose.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Nagelsmann is the kind of coach that gives absolutely no guarantee in a top club. Brilliant with average teams when he can mold his players, unpredictable when there's high profile players in the squad. Sarri was brilliant with Napoli and failed at Chelsea and Juventus because he didn't have the profile of players he wanted and couldn't make his players play exactly the way he wanted to. Maybe he'll be great, maybe he won't. But hell of a coach anyway.
how do you know?

Silverman

Ole's resurgence put us in a difficult situation to chase any other manager now.
Rangnick and Nagelsmann would be a dream combo.

Our story for last 7 years, missing on best potential and signing players not right for us.
That's true. When Moyes left, I really wanted Klopp to take over but he wasnt ready to leave Dortmund. Then Liverpool snapped him up the following summer.

AshRK

Interesting point but I feel coaches like him would need more time and cannot be judged on instant success. I feel he would be a fine coach for a club who will back him for a year or two without putting too much pressure on him.

TsuWave

"We have someone else we're more confident in moving forward with as manager, but we'll move you up to the role of the guy that's going to oversee the manager"

Also, it's not as if Ole is out here unearthing gems. James aside, and he's pretty bad, the players he bought were known commodities and relatively safe bets.

It's OK to sack a club legend without tossing him another job at the club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What makes you say that?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Surely he should come close to winning his own league before a move to a team like United where winning the league is an expectation?
Is it? In the last years I've only been hearing the words "rebuild and transition year" and "I'd settle for top 4".

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Not saying he can’t be successful at big clubs with world class players / egos, but promising young managers don’t always manage to be equally successful at bigger clubs (see AVB)
I think one factor that will make it more likely for him to succeed at a big club is his personality. He is a very down to earth guy, has always good relationships with his players and is apparently great to work with in general. I feel it's more often young, extravagant coaches with an ego that's too big who fail.
So far he was also very careful about chosing his career steps and being self-aware enough that he still had a lot to learn, especially on the international level.
On top of that he is also very balanced in his tactical approach. He obviously follows the german pressing mantra but it's not like he is ALL about counter attacks or possession based football, RBL for example can switch between both and his formations are also very varied.
Let's also not forget he is just 33 years old so even if he goes to a big club in the next few years and fails there I'm sure he will get more opportunities at the highest level.
I know we (Bayern) were always interested in him. Hoeneß wanted him as youth coach before he had his breakthrough at Hoffenheim and the only reason we didn't get him recently was that we still worried about his young age. I think we didn't want to "waste" him with a premature attempt at our club in a difficult situation (moving on from the Ribery/Robben/Lahm team) but I'm sure he'd be one of the top candidates in the future for us.

TsuWave

United hasn't won the league for like 7 years, and IIRC, in that time period we've only finished in the top4 three times. I'm sure he'd be alright and afforded time.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
how do you know?
Interesting point but I feel coaches like him would need more time and cannot be judged on instant success. I feel he would be a fine coach for a club who will back him for a year or two without putting too much pressure on him.
What makes you say that?
I don't know, that's exactly what i'm saying, he's brilliant but there's absolutely no guarantee that a coach like that with a very strong tactical identy succeeds in a bigger club. Most high profile players need a certain kind of freedom on the pith he might not (or might) be able to offer yet.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No managers give you guarantees, there is always a question of fitness.

Kamprad

How important is that to you? :D
Well it bugs me. I won’t lie. It’s lack of respect to current manager and most managers don’t talk about that until the club changes manager one more time but he just couldn’t shut his mouth. His ego had to tell the world Real Madrid wanted me. Says something about his character. And character is important as a manager. The players have to respect you. But then again he’s had a good career so far.

mu4c_20le

What makes you say that?
People keep saying they can't wait to see what he can do with better players, but better players come with bigger egos. Ironically that actually gives us a slight advantage against the other european heavyweights, because Ole fixed the club culture.

crossy1686

career ending
Is it? In the last years I've only been hearing the words "rebuild and transition year" and "I'd settle for top 4".
And we want to hire a manager that has never mounted a title challenge in his playing or managerial career to win us a league title? If we want to be perennial top 4 candidates then great, get him in tomorrow

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
No managers give you guarantees, there is always a question of fitness.
Some do. Guarantees of failure. Sarri failing at Juventus with big egos and without the kind of players he wanted was a very predictable disaster. A coach like Zidane on the other hand would have done far better imo.