Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

RUCK4444

How do you guys know from your living rooms? How do you know what happens in training and what doesn't?
They have no clue. We are playing better football, clearly improving, moving up the table, yet we still get people claiming Ole is unable to coach.

Just look at the players who have improved under him, not least our forwards, all having their best ever seasons. Midfield starting to click, defence improved.

All because sections of armchair pundits believe United deserve the latest hipster manager, usually one who’s won nothing and is totally unproven in the Premier League ffs

L1nk

And we want to hire a manager that has never mounted a title challenge in his playing or managerial career to win us a league title? If we want to be perennial top 4 candidates then great, get him in tomorrow
Well he is a vastly better manager than Ole, so why not

Glorio

I appreciate your comment I do. But what’s so diffenent to what you are saying than what was the same notion that was used to persist with Mourinho. This place is like a revolving door of mistakes.

A bit Like the board room. That’s why every summer we need a new CB.
We were not progressing under Mourinho - performance or results-wise, definitely not for months on end until he was sacked. The atmosphere was also noticeably toxic. Not the same thing at all.

If José or whoever was actually doing a good job and we were on an upward trajectory, why would I want to replace him for the sake of it? And start again with zero guarantees? You don't overhaul a working system for the sake of it.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
he sounds exciting but is currently little more than a pre Chelsea Villas-Boas right now.

Still has plenty to prove before any big club should allow him access to their Crown Jewels and war chest.
No, actually he has already been proven at a higher standard than AVB.

AVB before joining Chelsea had 1 season at Academica and his second season at Porto for Portuguese standards he had a great squad.

Falcão/Hulk/Moutinho/Otamendi/Alex Sandro and so on. He clearly wasn’t ready for a club like Chelsea.

Naggelsman at Hoffenheim and RB Leipzig has always improved players, performances in the league and now finally he proved to those who dismissed him that he can do it at European level.

I think it’s a bigger achievement to take Leipzig to the Champions League Semifinals than in 2011 AVB winning that Europa League with a squad who probably had more talent than the ones Mourinho had at Porto.

With that I am not saying he should be the next Manchester United manager, but it’s a bit ridiculous to read some posts saying that he hasn’t proven nothing because he is in a weaker league than England.

First because it’s debatable to say the Premier League beside Liverpool and City is all that the Media loves to hype, and more ridiculous even to suggest that OGS or Frank Lampard are better because they work in England.

It’s the same logic for those who dismiss Neymar or Mbappe because they play in France. By the way I don’t think Solskjaer should be sacked, or it’s incompetent, not at all.

macheda14

How do you figure?
He’s definitely a better coach, just look at his team plays with far lesser players. You could argue that they aren’t lesser players, but that’s because he’s coached them so well. He’s definitely the next big thing in football.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Nailed on at City for me when Pep decides to move on next summer. He will be sold their project and ambitions and have a massive wage.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They've done pretty well but besides Atlético they've not gone through much harder matches than some EL teams. Don't think they beat Atlético over 2 legs.

Mr PG

You just need to look at the type of football redbull are playing to know the quality of the manager.

L1nk

How do you figure?
Well he's only 33 yet has accomplished great things in a competitive league, dude's younger than Messi and Ronaldo and was coaching U19's four seasons ago.

He took Hoffenheim from what would have been certain relagation managed to keep them up, then took them to 4th, then to the CL

First season with RB now he's taken them to 3rd and got them into the semi finals of the CL

All this whilst playing an entertaining brand of football, if he chooses his career path carefully he could easily be on top of world managers in the next 10 years, easily.

I know people like to think Ole is this amazing manager because he's ours and he used to play for us, but come on, I support him of course and he's not done bad so far all things considered, but he isn't in the same league as the likes of Nagelsmann, he will be destined for the biggest clubs in the world soon, he's already turned down Real Madrid after all. Where as the biggest clubs in the world wouldn't have gone near Ole when we got him, it's just a fact.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
In peoples opinion If he wasnt 33 would he still be hyped up for his performances as a manager?

edcunited1878

What league position did RB Leipzig finish last year? 3rd without Nagelsmann.

When Hoffenheim finished 3rd under Nagelsmann, he did it with 55 points in 17/18, level on points with Dortmund and Leverkusen. RB Leipzig was 6th with 53 points.

During the 18/19 Bundesliga, Hoffenheim finished 7th with 51 points and finished last in their CL group. RB Leipzig finished 3rd under Rangnick with 66 points.

During this past Bundesliga season, first under Nagelsmann...RB Leipzig finished with, you guessed it, 66 points. More goals scored and conceded, but same as last year and possibly better players this year. CL results have flattered him similar to Pochettino and Spurs, but anything can happen in CL.

So all this to say is that while Nagelsmann is a very young and bright manager, he's got loads to learn and improve upon in his current setup, which has been developing and working well before Nagelsmann was hired.

He's walked into a side that was trending upward under Rangnick and Hassenhuttel....let's see how he does next year. CL is such a toss up, especially in single elimination format like it is this year.

Eddy_JukeZ

In peoples opinion If he wasnt 33 would he still be hyped up for his performances as a manager?
No, but it's the same for players too though.

You'd be more impressed with a 20 year old being great than a 30 year old.

crossy1686

career ending
Is there a manager you consider to be better than Ole? Removing United context.
What’s the barometer for measuring how good a manager is?

Someone can be a bad manager for someone else and the right fit for another team. Management is about being able to impart your methodologies and philosophies to a group of people and have them buy in. Pep for example would struggle to get the same response for the Oldham team, does it mean he’s a bad manager? Not at all.

I never said Nagalsman was a bad manager, I questioned the point in restarting a rebuild project barely over a year in for a manager that we have no proof would be a success at a team like United.

He'sRaldo

What’s the barometer for measuring how good a manager is?

Someone can be a bad manager for someone else and the right fit for another team. Management is about being able to impart your methodologies and philosophies to a group of people and have them buy in. Pep for example would struggle to get the same response for the Oldham team, does it mean he’s a bad manager? Not at all.

I never said Nagalsman was a bad manager, I questioned the point in restarting a rebuild project barely over a year in for a manager that we have no proof would be a success at a team like United.
That's why I asked you if there's a manager you consider better than Ole; to hear your reasoning for rating said manager above him, as well as your criteria for rating managers in general.

And if you are of the opinion that Ole's the best manager in the world, well, that's another story.

crossy1686

career ending
That's why I asked you if there's a manager you consider better than Ole; to hear your reasoning for rating said manager above him, as well as your criteria for rating managers in general.

And if you are of the opinion that Ole's the best manager in the world, well, that's another story.
I never said that but hiring someone like Nagalsman means you have to hire at least two people to do the job Ole is currently doing, and then have them both be a success. What’s his recruitment record like?
We’re not set up for this ‘first team coach’ approach.

He'sRaldo

I never said that but hiring someone like Nagalsman means you have to hire at least two people to do the job Ole is currently doing, and then have them both be a success. What’s his recruitment record like?
We’re not set up for this ‘first team coach’ approach.
I ask because you questioned someone who said Nagelsmann is a better manager, so I assumed you must have some criteria by which you rank managers, criteria which seems to rank Nagelsmann and Ole as equals at least.

So what is that criteria, and is Ole at the top of the list or are there managers better than him according to it?

crossy1686

career ending
I ask because you questioned someone who said Nagelsmann is a better manager, so I assumed you must have some criteria by which you rank managers, criteria which seems to rank Nagelsmann and Ole as equals at least.

So what is that criteria, and is Ole at the top of the list or are there managers better than him according to it?
I never said they were, you're fishing for something I never said. It's redundant to set arbitrary values so we can place them somewhere in the hierarchy of world football managers. All managers by definition of success are bad until they're good, or if you like they've never won anything until they win something. As you can see this debate is absolutely pointless and there are many good managers around, the issue is being able to apply it across different workplaces and consistently.

Zidane by definition is one of the best managers that's ever graced the game, however, could he replicate that level of success at United? Would he be regarded a failure if he didn't? What would we evaluate as a success?

There are no simple answers to these questions and simply trying to 'rank' managers from best ever to worst ever is stupid.

He'sRaldo

I never said they were, you're fishing for something I never said.
Apologies if it comes across this way, feeling a little analytical.

It's redundant to set arbitrary values so we can place them somewhere in the hierarchy of world football managers. All managers by definition of success are bad until they're good, or if you like they've never won anything until they win something. As you can see this debate is absolutely pointless and there are many good managers around, the issue is being able to apply it across different workplaces and consistently.

Zidane by definition is one of the best managers that's ever graced the game, however, could he replicate that level of success at United? Would he be regarded a failure if he didn't? What would we evaluate as a success?

There are no simple answers to these questions and simply trying to 'rank' managers from best ever to worst ever is stupid.
So in your opinion can any manager potentially be as good as another in a role? There's no real difference in level between any manager, just differences in environment?

Last edited:

Kostov

This guy is so talented and young is incredible. RB obviously have a very very good structure and recruitment planning which leads to a great squad, but the way they were playing last night was great to see. So confident and precise on the ball,

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Would be genuinely excited of him as a manager if he actually wins the Champions League.
And before anyone says that success as a manager is quantified in different ways depending on the team, RB Leipzig are a big club in Germany, they have wealth, serious wealth. Their backroom teams, scouting networks and recruitment team is set up and established.
The club is designed to support a similar type of manager, it's a very similar set up to when Cortese was running the show at Southampton.
The manager at a club like RB is handpicked to support this set up, they play a certain way which follows the trend of the club.
If he wins the Champions League then I'd be excited by him, if he leaves, joins another club and wins trophies there I'd be excited, but currently he is working within a system which is designed to assist him at every turn, and whilst not easy it's certainly harder to fail.

crossy1686

career ending
Apologies if it comes across this way, feeling a little analytical.

So in your opinion can any manager potentially be as good as another in a role? There's no real difference in level between any manager, just differences in environment?
There's obviously ceilings as in any job role, and that's generally down to the individual's ability to listen, adapt and learn. Environment and circumstance play a huge part, for example, would Mourinho been a success at United if he would have been appointed right after Fergie stepped down? Clearly a good manager but maybe would have been more humble stepping into Fergie's shadow with a team that had won everything.

Good managers have the ability to walk into any workplace and instil their methods and get results. The issue with this is that it generally takes time, and depending on the current state of the club it could years due to only having 2 windows a year where you can recruit. As we know managers don't get time. Solskjaer has just finished his first full season and he'd have been sacked at least twice if the Caf owned United.

It's common across various industries when appointing new managers or leaders to do so from within, you rarely see jobs advertised for high ranking roles in companies unless they're looking to change their culture. We just seen it happen again at Juventus. Sarri was a coach who coached his side to play a poor mans version of Sarriball, the likes of Ronaldo don't need to be told where to stand and when to dribble or how to take free-kicks, manage them instead, tell them how the game will play out and what to do in those moments of chaos. Pirlo has been part of winning dressing rooms and knows what it takes to win titles, this is a cultural thing that Sarri never had due to his background. He lost the players near enough right away when he spoke about winning the CL as it being the ultimate dream. The Juve board, fans and players are of the cultural understanding that Juve are supposed to challenge for it year in year out, it shouldn't be akin to Tottenham getting to a final.

We've seen the same things happen at United. Moyes talking about aspiring to be Man City, Mourinho saying United have no history in Europe, those comments created a disconnect from the fanbase, and would have disappointed the board.

My points about Pochettino and Nagelsmann are that they are undoubtedly good coaches, they've done well with the teams they've managed and exceeded their expectations. But when there are no expectations life is a lot easier. We have no idea how they would cope with a bigger club where fans are demanding of success. Pochettino practically unravelled at the seams the year Tottenham finished 3rd in a 2 horse race for the title.

I'm not convinced some of the hipster managers people are into would be a good cultural fit for United, and their recruitment history is none existent because they have DOF's that take care of that stuff and all they have to worry about is coaching the team, like Sarri did. If anything we should just buff out the current coaching staff if we feel the players aren't coached well enough, bringing in a new manager who is a 'coach' just moves our problems to other areas without solving anything.

Last edited:

Toni Roncoroni

He is a great coach and will be at top clubs for the next decades.
Listening to his interviews, match analysiss or lectures about football is amazing. He has is own and clear vision about football and now how implement that. He is just mad for football and every aspect of it. I heard hil talking about what he can change as a coach during a game and what possible things during a game he can anticipate. Only few coaches can speak like that and analise games shortly after the final whistle like he is.
Just look at the players he had at his disposal and how they are performing.
A joy to watch was how quickly they moved the ball yesterday. Most of the time his players ar making to touches tops. I like to ser that.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think it is pretty obvious that he will be a very very good coach. Maybe he already is one. However i am not a fan of the clubs he chose (Hoffenheim and Leipzig) and his cockiness so call me old or boring.
It is a bit like Pep who (for me) diminished his legacy by going to City.

Mainoldo

No, actually he has already been proven at a higher standard than AVB.

AVB before joining Chelsea had 1 season at Academica and his second season at Porto for Portuguese standards he had a great squad.

Falcão/Hulk/Moutinho/Otamendi/Alex Sandro and so on. He clearly wasn’t ready for a club like Chelsea.

Naggelsman at Hoffenheim and RB Leipzig has always improved players, performances in the league and now finally he proved to those who dismissed him that he can do it at European level.

I think it’s a bigger achievement to take Leipzig to the Champions League Semifinals than in 2011 AVB winning that Europa League with a squad who probably had more talent than the ones Mourinho had at Porto.

With that I am not saying he should be the next Manchester United manager, but it’s a bit ridiculous to read some posts saying that he hasn’t proven nothing because he is in a weaker league than England.

First because it’s debatable to say the Premier League beside Liverpool and City is all that the Media loves to hype, and more ridiculous even to suggest that OGS or Frank Lampard are better because they work in England.

It’s the same logic for those who dismiss Neymar or Mbappe because they play in France. By the way I don’t think Solskjaer should be sacked, or it’s incompetent, not at all.
I don’t know why you assumed the poster knew what he was talking about. :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't understand the context of that question. Nagelsmann has done a great work in Bundesliga for 5 straight seasons, his teams are always well coached and he has the ability to alter games with tactical changes. He is one of the rare coaches that somehow manages to make his team comfortable in 3 or 4 different set ups. His age is totally irrelevant, that's not why he is rated.

R'hllor

Christ almighty, you cant even mention another manager in this place no more.

Pav1878

The guy is the next Klopp, and even more than that, he is his own man with his own style. He has charisma, knows football inside and out.

In a few years once he is at a big club people will be on forums talking about another young manager saying he is the next Nagelsmann.

We need to be in for this guy when he is ready to move on.

We missed out on Pep and Klopp so it is imperative we are in for Nagelsmann.

Knowing us though, Ole will get us in the top four for a couple of years, keep his job, pep will leave city after this year and they will get Nagelsmann.

He'sRaldo

There's obviously ceilings as in any job role, and that's generally down to the individual's ability to listen, adapt and learn. Environment and circumstance play a huge part, for example, would Mourinho been a success at United if he would have been appointed right after Fergie stepped down? Clearly a good manager but maybe would have been more humble stepping into Fergie's shadow with a team that had won everything.

Good managers have the ability to walk into any workplace and instil their methods and get results. The issue with this is that it generally takes time, and depending on the current state of the club it could years due to only having 2 windows a year where you can recruit. As we know managers don't get time. Solskjaer has just finished his first full season and he'd have been sacked at least twice if the Caf owned United.

It's common across various industries when appointing new managers or leaders to do so from within, you rarely see jobs advertised for high ranking roles in companies unless they're looking to change their culture. We just seen it happen again at Juventus. Sarri was a coach who coached his side to play a poor mans version of Sarriball, the likes of Ronaldo don't need to be told where to stand and when to dribble or how to take free-kicks, managed them instead. Pirlo has been part of winning dressing rooms and knows what it takes to win titles, this is a cultural thing that Sarri never had due to his background. He lost the players near enough right away when he spoke about winning the CL as it being the ultimate dream. The Juve board, fans and players are of the cultural understanding that Juve are supposed to challenge for it year in year out, it shouldn't be akin to Tottenham getting to a final.

We've seen the same things happen at United. Moyes talking about aspiring to be Man City, Mourinho saying United have no history in Europe, those comments created a disconnect from the fanbase, and would have disappointed the board.

My points about Pochettino and Nagelsmann are that they are undoubtedly good coaches, they've done well with the teams they've managed and exceeded their expectations. But when there are no expectations life is a lot easier. We have no idea how they would cope with a bigger club where fans are demanding of success. Pochettino practically unravelled at the seams the year Tottenham finished 3rd in a 2 horse race for the title.

I'm not convinced some of the hipster managers people are into would be a good cultural fit for United, and their recruitment history is none existent because they have DOF's that take care of that stuff and all they have to worry about is coaching the team, like Sarri did. If anything we should just buff out the current coaching staff if we feel the players aren't coached well enough, bringing in a new manager who is a 'coach' just moves our problems to other areas without solving anything.
It's a good answer and has some things I agree with, like bringing in coaching staff.

However you're still speaking specifically about United, and I did say to remove United context when answering. You've given reasons why you'd rate a manager as more ideal for us, but I was curious about how you rate one manager to be better than another.

So independent of Utd, would you rate said hipster managers higher than Ole? Why or why not? And if not them, what managers would you rate higher than him?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What he did at Hoffenheim was a small miracle, so yes. His age obviously amplifies the hype a lot, but it's much more than just that.

romufc

So independent of Utd, would you rate said hipster managers higher than Ole? Why or why not? And if not them, what managers would you rate higher than him?
Yes, I would rate him better than Ole in terms of coaching, we have seen his rise has been sharp, adapting in formations but that does not translate to better manager for Manutd.

He was hired by Leipzig a year before he got the job, which means he was backed and given the chance to bring his methods into a young team, with no pressure.

When you make the jump to Manutd level, the pressure jump is enormous. Then you have to deal with the below average structure at United where managers are not given the tools to build properly. We halfheartedly back our managers. Leipzig have a structure where signings are consistent no matter who the manager is, the role of a competent DoF which we will never have.

I will tell you one thing, no matter who manages this football club, we will not get a period of success without a change in the structure. Yes, we may stumble upon a manager who overpeforms and wins us a UCL or a title but if we want to be successful, we need changes.

Pep wanted Sane, but he didnt want to stay and moved on, City created no fuss and sold him for £50m and signed a replacement in a week.

Klopp had one year to look at his players, got rid of Benteke, Ibe, Sakho etc without fuss.

Ole has had a year and has kind of made it clear that Smalling, Jones, Perreira, Dalot are not good enough, yet we are here saying how can we make use of these players like Smalling and Lingard?

Some will say oh look we signed Maguire, AWB, but that isnt rocket science, these were well known players.

Other teams are signing players like Rodri, Fabinho, Mane, Salah, Ferran Torres and the like which comes down to scouting.

We have had 7/8 years without a RW and the only one we can find is one that is obvious and doesnt really need scouting. Same with RB and CB.