Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

crossy1686

career ending
It's a good answer and has some things I agree with, like bringing in coaching staff.

However you're still speaking specifically about United, and I did say to remove United context when answering. You've given reasons why you'd rate a manager as more ideal for us, but I was curious about how you rate one manager to be better than another.

So independent of Utd, would you rate said hipster managers higher than Ole? Why or why not? And if not them, what managers would you rate higher than him?
Sorry, didn't know you meant objectively "who would you pick to manage unnamed club".

If we presume the variables are consistent, let's say, oil-rich club looking to build something from nothing, loads of cash and we can hire a coach and his DOF, I'd go for Pep. He's proved he can do it at many clubs given the right environment. After that I'm not sure. Klopp, Pochettino or Nagelsmann are 'project' managers and given 5 years will most likely get you to where you want to be, so take your pick out of any of them if you're looking to commit long term. At the same time, Nuno, Wilder, and Howe have proven then can improve a team given the time, support and investment.

Solskjaer probably wouldn't get a look in to be honest, even if he wins the treble at United next season, he's just not going to fit for anyone else.

It's also hard to say who's 'better' really. I don't think there's much between managers at the top level. Some get lucky with oil rich clubs and massive resources or a good DOF, and some get handed Arsenal instead. Some also take jobs they're not ready for, looking at you Moyes.

Glorio

He's recently served beatings to all time great coaches like Mou and Simeone. So I guess the hype is warranted.
Yes - really admirable. Like Ole served beatings to Pep and Ancelotti, so respect to him is warranted as well, right?

Just saying, the grass isn't always greener. We can admire his work of course. But pining to kick out your current manager when he's actually doing a brilliant job in your own system for someone who is also doing a brilliant job elsewhere, with different system conditions (but untried in your system) is risky and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Glorio

Have to say I'm impressed - this thread is mostly cordial for such a heated conversation! ;)

gorky_utd

Nagelsmann is fantastic but ole has not done anything wrong lately. If people don't really trust ole and think he is not good enough, then how can we expect Woodward to trust him also and sanction a record 120m bid for Sancho?

Cloud7

The caf really loves the term ‘hipster manager’ doesn’t it

Nickelodeon

He's the managerial Sancho. Incredibly young, doing amazingly in the German league, at a smaller club, linked with Real and expected to be one of the best in the world.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
What league position did RB Leipzig finish last year? 3rd without Nagelsmann.

When Hoffenheim finished 3rd under Nagelsmann, he did it with 55 points in 17/18, level on points with Dortmund and Leverkusen. RB Leipzig was 6th with 53 points.

During the 18/19 Bundesliga, Hoffenheim finished 7th with 51 points and finished last in their CL group. RB Leipzig finished 3rd under Rangnick with 66 points.

During this past Bundesliga season, first under Nagelsmann...RB Leipzig finished with, you guessed it, 66 points. More goals scored and conceded, but same as last year and possibly better players this year. CL results have flattered him similar to Pochettino and Spurs, but anything can happen in CL.

So all this to say is that while Nagelsmann is a very young and bright manager, he's got loads to learn and improve upon in his current setup, which has been developing and working well before Nagelsmann was hired.

He's walked into a side that was trending upward under Rangnick and Hassenhuttel....let's see how he does next year. CL is such a toss up, especially in single elimination format like it is this year.
Great post. People still don't understand the importance of structure when it comes to hiring a manager. Being a great coach is simply not enough. Guardiola was the perfect fit at the time at Barcelona because of his reputation, the quality of the players who already understood the position game and the structure at the time with Joan Laporta at the helm. Klopp succeeded at Dortmund and is succeeding at Liverpool because of the structure around it and it was the reason he turned down managing Manchester United.
We saw what happened at Juventus when they hired Maurizio Sarri, who was never a right fit for the club and they did not give him the tools he needed to execute his game plan.

Julian Nagelsmann is a very intelligent guy and I am sure he will study his next project very carefully. Out of all the top clubs in the English premier League, I think clubs like Liverpool and Manchester City would be most suited to him.

L1nk

Great post. People still don't understand the importance of structure when it comes to hiring a manager. Being a great coach is simply not enough. Guardiola was the perfect fit at the time at Barcelona because of his reputation, the quality of the players who already understood the position game and the structure at the time with Joan Laporta at the helm. Klopp succeeded at Dortmund and is succeeding at Liverpool because of the structure around it and it was the reason he turned down managing Manchester United.
We saw what happened at Juventus when they hired Maurizio Sarri, who was never a right fit for the club and they did not give him the tools he needed to execute his game plan.

Julian Nagelsmann is a very intelligent guy and I am sure he will study his next project very carefully. Out of all the top clubs in the English premier League, I think clubs like Liverpool and Manchester City would be most suited to him.
It doesn't exactly work like that though, Hoffenheim were about to be relegated when Nagelsmann took over, and he saved them, not only did he save them but the season after he brought them to within the brink of CL qualification, which he did the season after, the same structure was there from when they were nearly relegated, but the manager was just better.

It's the same with Klopp and Dortmund, they finished 13th the season before he took over, then he took them to 5th and won the German Cup in hbis first season and then the rest is history, the same structure was there when Dortmund finished 13th, just as the same structure was there when they did badly in Klopp's last season, and the same structure is there now when they are hitting 2nd again. Klopp didn't join us because we have money men at the helm who's primary interest isn't football, and he's more of a romantic in this regard.

Your point about Sarri makes no sense, his first season there and he won the league? yeah their CL campaign wasn't the greatest but it's his first season, and as I said, they won the league and only gave him 1 season, what more do you want?

It is true you need a good structure for success but you are downplaying the importance of actually just having a good manager/coach at the helm, that has a good tactics and a great way of setting up the team and getting the best out of the players.

romufc

Your point about Sarri makes no sense, his first season there and he won the league? yeah their CL campaign wasn't the greatest but it's his first season, and as I said, they won the league and only gave him 1 season, what more do you want?

It is true you need a good structure for success but you are downplaying the importance of actually just having a good manager/coach at the helm, that has a good tactics and a great way of setting up the team and getting the best out of the players.
Football these days has moved on a bit, fans want to watch enjoyable football too. For clubs such as Juve, Bayern, PSG sometimes the league on its own is not enough.

Sarri may have just about won the league, lost the cup to Napoli and lost in the CL to Lyon, if they lost to a Bayern or City, it may have been different.

They also played really crap football for majority of the season.

Having a good coach / manager makes a huge difference as well, if you can get a coach who can get the best out his team like Klopp has done for Liverpool and Dortmund, it makes a huge difference.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Football these days has moved on a bit, fans want to watch enjoyable football too. For clubs such as Juve, Bayern, PSG sometimes the league on its own is not enough.

Sarri may have just about won the league, lost the cup to Napoli and lost in the CL to Lyon, if they lost to a Bayern or City, it may have been different.

They also played really crap football for majority of the season.

Having a good coach / manager makes a huge difference as well, if you can get a coach who can get the best out his team like Klopp has done for Liverpool and Dortmund, it makes a huge difference.
He was there only one season even at Napoli it took some time to be able to implement Sarri ball

Peps first season at City wasnt very good

romufc

He was there only one season even at Napoli it took some time to be able to implement Sarri ball

Quite ironic that you are saying it takes time to implement the playing style when you said Ole should be gone and a competent manager shouldn't take long to play his style.

Cassidy

Quite ironic that you are saying it takes time to implement the playing style when you said Ole should be gone and a competent manager shouldn't take long to play his style.
Sarri won the league. Me saying Ole should have gone was based on results

romufc

Sarri won the league. Me saying Ole should have gone was based on results
But my comment wasn't about the league, it was about the type of football.

The Ole comment was in response to that, which is Napoli and City. How can you say managers need more time to implement yet you say Ole out because hes taking too long to implement his style.

Quite contradictory no?

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
It doesn't exactly work like that though, Hoffenheim were about to be relegated when Nagelsmann took over, and he saved them, not only did he save them but the season after he brought them to within the brink of CL qualification, which he did the season after, the same structure was there from when they were nearly relegated, but the manager was just better.

It's the same with Klopp and Dortmund, they finished 13th the season before he took over, then he took them to 5th and won the German Cup in hbis first season and then the rest is history, the same structure was there when Dortmund finished 13th, just as the same structure was there when they did badly in Klopp's last season, and the same structure is there now when they are hitting 2nd again. Klopp didn't join us because we have money men at the helm who's primary interest isn't football, and he's more of a romantic in this regard.

I'm guessing that I didn't make it clear that I thought all the aformentioned coaches were great coaches. My point was that being a good manager is not enough without the structure in place.

As for Sarri, Sarri is a great coach but he was not fit for Juventus. They might have won the league but many Juventino say it is despite Sarri . The fault lies in Juventus management. 1/4 of their wage bill goes to Cristiano Ronaldo's wages. You cannot expect to play an effective positional game with a player like Cristiano Ronaldo in your team. Sarri did not even have a good enough midfield to do what he wanted and he ended up just playing some sort of poor hybrid Allegri-Sarri type football.

Juventus hired Sarri to play his style of football yet they did not give him the tools he required. It was never going to work long term, which a lot of people predicted.

Cassidy

But my comment wasn't about the league, it was about the type of football.

The Ole comment was in response to that, which is Napoli and City. How can you say managers need more time to implement yet you say Ole out because hes taking too long to implement his style.

Quite contradictory no?
No if you read I said Ole should have been sacked based on results.

In hindsight he has turned it around so no issues with him atm

The bit you highlight on Pep also has nothing to do with style. It didnt take him long to implement that, results though was another story

Cassidy

Can you explain what's the Ole's playing style, please? And what you've seen of it that makes you confident he'll the right manager to be a winning team again?
Better signings ok. Better men management ok. Do you have the feeling there's a clear game plan and we play like a unit...not just individual play? Thanks!
The OP just wants to pick a fight about something which was said ages ago and nothing to do with the current conversation

Cassidy

Glad you said that because most of us were frustrated at the time.

Ole is inexperienced in comparison to Pep, Klopp etc. He will need more time than others to implement his methods because the methods that might have worked for him at Molde wont always work at Manutd, opponents are switched on and find ways to play against you.

How can you expect a manager to implement a style when his best player keeps getting injured. Start of season you go in with a plan, how we will attack and defend. We end up losing Shaw, Martial and Pogba in the first month.

We have a team with 3 new players, 3 key players out and the backups not good enough.

Okay, we start playing well and we lose McTominay, Rashford.

Since the lockdown, we have seen when the ball gets upfield, we want to play intricate football around the box, if you do not think this is true, just look at the number of penalties won, alot have been fouls based on good football.

But we all know, this is not complete, we cannot play a high line with Matic, Maguire Lindelof.

Most managers would struggle in the same environment. Which is why I am willing to give a manager who has been dealt blow after blow a bit more time. I also keep seing fans complaining about Lindelof. At the start of the season, we could sense that Ole wants to bring Tuanzebe in and most of us thought by the end of the season he would be first choice. Now, he got injured for the rest of the season and Lindelof was fit and played well.
This isnt the Ole thread

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Sorry, didn't know you meant objectively "who would you pick to manage unnamed club".

If we presume the variables are consistent, let's say, oil-rich club looking to build something from nothing, loads of cash and we can hire a coach and his DOF, I'd go for Pep. He's proved he can do it at many clubs given the right environment. After that I'm not sure. Klopp, Pochettino or Nagelsmann are 'project' managers and given 5 years will most likely get you to where you want to be, so take your pick out of any of them if you're looking to commit long term. At the same time, Nuno, Wilder, and Howe have proven then can improve a team given the time, support and investment.

Solskjaer probably wouldn't get a look in to be honest, even if he wins the treble at United next season, he's just not going to fit for anyone else.

It's also hard to say who's 'better' really. I don't think there's much between managers at the top level. Some get lucky with oil rich clubs and massive resources or a good DOF, and some get handed Arsenal instead. Some also take jobs they're not ready for, looking at you Moyes.
Great post. (Maybe at Rose to complete that list.)

In the EPL, I was thinking Leicester might be another good option for Nagelsmann. Kinda fits his list of clubs so far, although they may already be 'below him' if he continues his ascent next season with Leipzig.

Suedesi

Yes - really admirable. Like Ole served beatings to Pep and Ancelotti, so respect to him is warranted as well, right?

Just saying, the grass isn't always greener. We can admire his work of course. But pining to kick out your current manager when he's actually doing a brilliant job in your own system for someone who is also doing a brilliant job elsewhere, with different system conditions (but untried in your system) is risky and unnecessary.
When was that?

90 + 5min

First it was Pochettino. Now it is Nagelsmann. It is changing quick. I wonder who "the next NAME" is in a 3 month?

You guys need to take it easy. Even if his teams have played well and he got credit for that, rightfully, he hasn't ever won anything. So, before making him the next superuniversal megacoach he should at least win something first. He got talent but let us see where it can take him because right now there are lot of other coaches at his level or higher.

romufc

In the EPL, I was thinking Leicester might be another good option for Nagelsmann. Kinda fits his list of clubs so far, although they may already be 'below him' if he continues his ascent next season with Leipzig
I wont be surprised to see other clubs take a risk on him. I do think he will stay in at Leipzig for 2/3 years to build his profile, finishing in CL places, playing CL and giving it a real go to get after Bayern, even though it may not happen, it is a good challenge.

Cassidy

First it was Pochettino. Now it is Nagelsmann. It is changing quick. I wonder who "the next NAME" is in a 3 month?

You guys need to take it easy. Even if his teams have played well and he got credit for that, rightfully, he hasn't ever won anything. So, before making him the next superuniversal megacoach he should at least win something first. He got talent but let us see where it can take him because right now there are lot of other coaches at his level or higher.
Both are good managers to be honest

90 + 5min

I'm not talking about next season. Bayern will keep Flick no matter what. And Nagelsmann will stay at Leipzig for a few more years.

But the next time Bayern needs a manager they will surely contact Nagelsmann. We were already linked with him when he was still at Hoffenheim. That's when he told the press that he is a Bayern fan.

Apparently Hoeneß was the one arguing against Nagelsmann because of his age and his inexperience. But Hoeneß also said that he rates Nagelsmann highly.

I'd put money on it that Nagelsmann will become the coach of Bayern in the next ~5 years.
You don't even need a manager ;) Winning the league every year before it has even started. So easy.

lysglimt

Scout
What people should realize is that Pochettino and Nagelsmann both had a similar blessing - an insane goalscorer.

I am not saying Nagelsmann isn't a great manager - for all I know he might turn out to be the hottest thing since Klopp and Pep. But this season he has to manage without Timo Werner - and if he can continue the progress without Werner then we can start talking about how great a manager he is. But the fact is - this season he had a player who scored almost 1 goal each match - when you have that kind of striker, it's hard not to do well.

It was the same with Pochettino and Tottenham - when Spurs were at their best, they had Kane banging in almost a goal each game (29 and 30 goals in 16/17 and 17/18). And if you have one player scoring 30 goals - you will almost guaranteed be top-4.

But as I said - if Nagelsmann can continue the progress without Werner - well.....

macheda14

What people should realize is that Pochettino and Nagelsmann both had a similar blessing - an insane goalscorer.

I am not saying Nagelsmann isn't a great manager - for all I know he might turn out to be the hottest thing since Klopp and Pep. But this season he has to manage without Timo Werner - and if he can continue the progress without Werner then we can start talking about how great a manager he is. But the fact is - this season he had a player who scored almost 1 goal each match - when you have that kind of striker, it's hard not to do well.

It was the same with Pochettino and Tottenham - when Spurs were at their best, they had Kane banging in almost a goal each game (29 and 30 goals in 16/17 and 17/18). And if you have one player scoring 30 goals - you will almost guaranteed be top-4.

But as I said - if Nagelsmann can continue the progress without Werner - well.....
How do you explain his work with hoffenheim, taking them from relegation candidates to CL qualifiers two years in a row?

Cassidy

Southampton and Hoffenheim

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Nagelsmann deserves credit for Werner's development. He's also proven that he can build a great team without great individuals. He made Sandro Wagner look like a decent striker exemplary. Gis success with Hoffenheim is really remarkable, he made several players punch qbove their weight.

Leipzig will be a force to reckon with next season, wouldn't doubt that.

For me, the question is rather if he can transfer his ideas to a top club where not every player will immediately do what he asks him to do. Tuchel has the same problem and I rate him as a very similar coach. Probably the way Klopp has taken should be a role model for him.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nagelsmann deserves credit for Werner's development. He's also proven that he can build a great team without great individuals. He made Sandro Wagner look like a decent striker exemplary. Gis success with Hoffenheim is really remarkable, he made several players punch qbove their weight.
Exactly. It also remains to be seen if Werner is really such a talented goal scorer, or a player whose skills came out optimally due to Leipzig's system. Especially in teams with strong tactics and a unique identity, there are plenty of players who shine because of the system but may not be quite as effective in different tactical situations. i have no idea where Werner fits in, but I think it is a little early to say that Nagelsmann benefited more from Werner's presence than the other way round.

Rajma

We should really be sounding him out already and laying the ground work for him to join us in a year or so. However, since we’re a reactive bunch (and backing managers till it becomes painfully obvious) another Klopp/Pep scenario awaits, unfortunately.

L1nk

So, Pirlo already better than Ole as a manager?
No, but you see Nagelsmann has been better than Ole for years, you're only just taking notice of it now because he's reached the CL semi. I know alot of people here like to think nobody is better than Ole because he used to play for us, but trust me, there are plenty of managers, but I know everyone likes to just dismiss them as "hipster managers" like they did with Klopp etc

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why does every conversation boil down to comparisons with Ole? And whether we should hire x and sack Ole?

Nagelsmann is a good manager, but so is Ole. And last I checked, one being good did not imply to other being shit. Add to that, any managerial change is followed by a change in plans, change in directions transfer strategy and it would take any manager atleast a couple of years to make the side his own. Ole is doing a good job and I find these talks about Sack Ole Hire XYZ ridiculous,

He has a good style of football, and I do believe he'd be managing one of the top top clubs very soon. I wouldn't mind him being considered for Man Utd job after 20 odd years (after Ole retires after dominating in the league and CL)

jesperjaap

I said when Ferguson retired we should have gone for Klopp. I said when Mourinho was sacked we should have gone for Nagelsmann. They are two young managers who have just been special from day one. I dont buy this hipster manager bs, I dont understand how people are only mentioning him now he has had his run in the champions league. A manager so young doing so well and getting his side so organised and playing excellent attackign football, and lets not forget, they were average players, not the quality he now has at Leipzig, was exceptional.

I think Solkjear really was only hired temporarily until the end of the season, dont think there were plans to keep him on. I think we were going to move for a Pochettino or maybe even Nagelsmann, but of course he did so well at first, he got the job full time.

Solkjear is going nowhere soon. He has done a very good job overall, getting us to finish third this season and potentially win the Europa League is just as much of an achievement as Mourinhos debut season. SO he rightly deserves a chance, but personally your statement that there are a lot of coaches/managers at his level or higher, totally disagree, there are very very few, plenty with more experience, knowledge and trophies as you allude to, but talent, this guy is special, very special

90 + 5min

I said when Ferguson retired we should have gone for Klopp. I said when Mourinho was sacked we should have gone for Nagelsmann. They are two young managers who have just been special from day one. I dont buy this hipster manager bs, I dont understand how people are only mentioning him now he has had his run in the champions league. A manager so young doing so well and getting his side so organised and playing excellent attackign football, and lets not forget, they were average players, not the quality he now has at Leipzig, was exceptional.

I think Solkjear really was only hired temporarily until the end of the season, dont think there were plans to keep him on. I think we were going to move for a Pochettino or maybe even Nagelsmann, but of course he did so well at first, he got the job full time.

Solkjear is going nowhere soon. He has done a very good job overall, getting us to finish third this season and potentially win the Europa League is just as much of an achievement as Mourinhos debut season. SO he rightly deserves a chance, but personally your statement that there are a lot of coaches/managers at his level or higher, totally disagree, there are very very few, plenty with more experience, knowledge and trophies as you allude to, but talent, this guy is special, very special
I remember lot of people talking about Villa Boas as the next thing. 33-34 year old when he took over Chelsea after treble in Portugal including Europa League. Look how it went for him after signing for Chelsea.
Having talent don’t mean that you will be great as a manager. Thats why I say that people should take it easy. Specially when you don’t have anything to show on CV except talent. He might become the grestest or he might be forgotten in 2 years time. We will see.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I remember lot of people talking about Villa Boas as the next thing. 33-34 year old when he took over Chelsea after treble in Portugal including Europa League. Look how it went for him after signing for Chelsea.
Having talent don’t mean that you will be great as a manager. Thats why I say that people should take it easy. Specially when you don’t have anything to show on CV except talent. He might become the grestest or he might be forgotten in 2 years time. We will see.
Is AVB the one that is now into dirt rally racing or have I made that up?