Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The quality we have compared to them showed clearly and yet he still gets so much out of them. It's obvious he's tactically got a lot of clever ideas, and he's still a child in management years. He's going to win plenty as a manager at a top club, I've no doubt.
He’s definitely someone we should be keeping tabs on, he’ll be very successful soon enough.

Ludens the Red

Showed some weird naivety today. You don’t give us the space they gave in the second half. The minute Rashford and Bruno came on he should have dropped that d-line.
Also if you’re going to dress like that you need to make sure you win the game.

432JuanMata

I actually liked his interview said we were good but only created 1 chance and took it first half then said his team played well until the 2nd which they did. He said they have to look at themselves after that. Nothing he could of done the players went awol at 2-0 same as Ole in the Spurs game went awful at 2-1 and gave up. I think he’s a top manager that is why this result was fantastic

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Joins the illustrious list that contains Poch, Tuchel, Pep & Mourinho of managers Ole has schooled
No shame in that :wenger:
Indeed.
The difference in tactical sophistication and maturity was quite startling to observe tonight. Ole was 3 steps ahead all night. Add to that churlish bravado based on hipster principles and he got the battering and humiliation he deserved.

Lesson for him for the 2nd game is to respect superior tacticians like Ole and put out a team that can contain us.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's superb young coach with huge potential there's no doubt about that in my mind. But these results are learning curves that he needs that'll shape him into a great coach in the future IMO.

For 70 minutes he had the team setup fine and they were playing well. But his mistake was that he underestimated our counter capabilities and how quickly we could transition play. That was his mistake and it cost them several goals.

I believe he will adopt the same approach that he normally adopts against Bayern where he shows them respect in defensive transition in the return leg against us.

I still rate him very highly as a coach and I believe tonights result will make him a even better coach.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He's superb young coach with huge potential there's no doubt about that in my mind. But these results are learning curves that he needs that'll shape him into a great coach in the future IMO.
For 70 minutes he had the team setup fine and they were playing well. But his mistake was that he underestimated our counter capabilities and how quickly we could transition play. That was his mistake and it cost them several goals.
I believe he will adopt the same approach that he normally adopts against Bayern where he shows them respect in defensive transition in the return leg against us.

I still rate him very highly as a coach and I believe tonights result will make him a even better coach.
I have no doubt he will become huge successful when he gets the keys to a bigger club, which no doubt he soon will. Let him move to BVB next, and then he can take over from Ole in 7 years time.
On the bolded part, do you think it was arrogance or inexperience that made him make such a poor tactical decision?

Paul_Scholes18

He is a fraud and a PE teacher at the moment. Just like OGS was, but he has been promoted to manager now after this win.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I have no doubt he will become huge successful when he gets the keys to a bigger club, which no doubt he soon will. Let him move to BVB next, and then he can take over from Ole in 7 years time.
On the bolded part, do you think it was arrogance or inexperience that made him make such a poor tactical decision?
Inexperience for sure.

He's still very young and these games where you get things badly wrong are the games that shape you as a coach in the longterm. Only a few weeks ago we got it badly wrong against Spurs and they put 6 past us so Ole tightened it up and started playing more risk averse football. I'm not sure Nagelsmann will do that but he will for sure show us more respect in the return leg and maintain structure.

AltiUn

I think he underestimated our defence a little bit, he probably thought his team would create more chances than they did but we throttled them when they got into the final third. You'd have to expect in future he won't be so naive in going for such attacking subs, I think he was in a tricky position because our defensive structure was superb and if he wanted anything out of the game he had to take a big gamble. Unfortunately for him we had the players to hit them on the break, once it got to 2-0 it was game over, we pressed them into oblivion then.

Their press is very good and I've admitted I'm a sucker for a high-press, our players were very good with their one-twos, it's something you can see we've been working on for a while so he's probably a bit unfortunate he played against us after we've begun learning how to deal with presses. Their game against PSG is going to be spectacular, PSG's defence isn't as assured as ours and they're unlikely to sacrifice anything going forward so I think Liepzig have a great shot at beating them.

I've no doubts that whatever big club snap him up are getting a really gifted manager. I'd rather it not be at City but not much we can do if Solskjaer continues to impress (which obviously isn't a bad thing at all). He strikes me as a future Bayern manager.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think he underestimated our defence a little bit, he probably thought his team would create more chances than they did but we throttled them when they got into the final third. You'd have to expect in future he won't be so naive in going for such attacking subs, I think he was in a tricky position because our defensive structure was superb and if he wanted anything out of the game he had to take a big gamble. Unfortunately for him we had the players to hit them on the break, once it got to 2-0 it was game over, we pressed them into oblivion then.

Their press is very good and I've admitted I'm a sucker for a high-press, our players were very good with their one-twos, it's something you can see we've been working on for a while so he's probably a bit unfortunate he played against us after we've begun learning how to deal with presses. Their game against PSG is going to be spectacular, PSG's defence isn't as assured as ours and they're unlikely to sacrifice anything going forward so I think Liepzig have a great shot at beating them.

I've no doubts that whatever big club snap him up are getting a really gifted manager. I'd rather it not be at City but not much we can do if Solskjaer continues to impress (which obviously isn't a bad thing at all). He strikes me as a future Bayern manager.
Completely agree with your assessment mate..

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Looks like the actor from Dead Man On Campus. This guy...

That's who it is. I don't mean to stereotype based on looks but he does kinda look like a schmuck. That actor always play that type of role I feel, and so did Julian tonight. He looked very pompous in that suit too so it might have been some karma going on behind the scenes for him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Obviously not judging him just based on one game but I am struggling to understand what all the fuss was about. We are actually a team which doesn’t do that well when being pressed. Then today the pressing merchants came to OT and yes they pressed and ran a lot but still hardly caused us any problems. Either they didn’t do what they usually do well today or our players have magically learnt how to deal with a pressing team.
Of course we have the better players but they are still one of the top teams in the Bundesliga. I expected more from them and probably less from us.

criticalanalysis

Very well coached side but let's be honest, our players and their individual ability trounces all over theirs.

I mean this as both a criticism and praise of Nagelsmann. He's done well playing with fire expecting and actually getting limited players (in comparison to ours) to dominate and push us in our half but naive to not be pragmatic too.

R'hllor

:lol: some couldnt wait to pop and spout some utter drivel, dont even follow JN but this thread should be marked for the future.

paulscholes18

He’s shite pal.
Guess that means that Hans Flick is a shit manager as Bayern lost 4-1 to Hoffenheim, and Klopp is a shit manager as Liverpool lost 7-2 to Villa, and Pep is a shit manager as City lost 5-2 to Leicester.

A big difference was the bench, Ole could bring on quality such as Bruno & Rashford, where Nagelsmann could bring on a Crystal Palace flop

windco

Progressive modern manager who played expansive football and won nothing is the easiest type of manager to beat while the hardest one to beat is a pragmatic serial winner manager

Well, that's Poch in the job if Ole ever gets the boot.
We have seen what a trophyless manager can do so why did you endorse another trophyless manager for us ? I want Allegri instead of ole get sacked.

edcunited1878

Very well coached side but let's be honest, our players and their individual ability trounces all over theirs.

I mean this as both a criticism and praise of Nagelsmann. He's done well playing with fire expecting and actually getting limited players (in comparison to ours) to dominate and push us in our half but naive to not be pragmatic too.
Ole got the team tactics right though. They didn't play as individuals, United played well, competed, and won as a team.

criticalanalysis

Ole got the team tactics right though. They didn't play as individuals, United played well, competed, and won as a team.
Ole did get his tactics right and it was essentially 11 men behind the ball. I'll repeat myself and return the favour because I mean that a criticism and praise for Ole.

Before our second goal, Leipzig passed, pressed and created more open chances than us but their individual quality was no match for ours. We had Pogba, Greenword, Martial, VDB and Fred/Matic on the pitch with Rashford, Bruno and McTominnay to come on to kill the game. Their best players are their two central defenders.

It's as simple as that.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Just because his team lost 5-0 in CL doesn't mean he's a fraud. He's not managing PSG.

Handré1990

I watched his post match presser. I like him. As usual the «journo» tried to goad him into making it about our luck with the offside decision on Greenwood’s goal. He simply said the important part was defending better. Nothing else. A very good manager, without a doubt. How good remains to be seen.

shahzy

I'd still take him in the morning because he will be a multiple league winner and Champions League winner. Bad night tonight, it happens

Klopp lost 7-2 to Aston Villa doesn't make him a bad manager either
Inexperience mixed with confidence that his team has what it takes to be competitive. Have a listen to the post match interview. He held his hand up and said he and his team wasnt good enough especially the last 25 mins where he said they forgot how to defend. Keep in mind hes only 33. He's younger than Cristiano and he's managing.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Inexperience mixed with confidence that his team has what it takes to be competitive. Have a listen to the post match interview. He held his hand up and said he and his team wasnt good enough especially the last 25 mins where he said they forgot how to defend. Keep in mind hes only 33. He's younger than Cristiano and he's managing.
That’s just idiotic arrogance then.

It’s why I’ve argued strongly that managers like this have nowhere near the game and life experience to be at a club like ours yet. Ole will do what it takes to get the points.

He needs to earn many more spurs to be given the keys to a club like ours. He is surely gaining excellent experiences but needs to succeed at a club like BVB before he is considered for a top PL club.

passing-wind

Consider the context of the game and the performance Leipzig were positively productive until the second half. The defence ended up being a shambles, we are probably the best team in Europe transitioning into a counter so I've no idea why opposition often leave us so much space behind to run into.

Nagelsmann will no doubt turn into a good manager its evident in the extent of his coaching and his tactical awareness. If he has a team with better individuals he'll have more to work with. Even with Werner the team they have is modestly average, they lose Dayot Upamecano and man for man they are a West Ham equivalent.

AltiUn

Before our second goal, Leipzig passed, pressed and created more open chances
They didn't create any chances, their only moment of note was from a set piece whereas we had the goal plus another good attempt by Greenwood.

Client6

Ole did get his tactics right and it was essentially 11 men behind the ball. I'll repeat myself and return the favour because I mean that a criticism and praise for Ole.

Before our second goal, Leipzig passed, pressed and created more open chances than us but their individual quality was no match for ours. We had Pogba, Greenword, Martial, VDB and Fred/Matic on the pitch with Rashford, Bruno and McTominnay to come on to kill the game. Their best players are their two central defenders.

It's as simple as that.
Really struggling to remember this. Don't mean this question to be nasty, but could you please list their open chances? I thought we definitely had more sights of their goal than them ours.

They pressed well, agreed, but IIRC, they did a grand total of zero with all their possession They were forced to go on the sides because there was no way through the middle.

Even after the subs, United's formation didn't really change and it was an absolutely perfect decision not to change it - Leipzig simply could not get through. And when Upmecano got sucked into centre mid, because, again they were trying to stretch the United shape by going to the wings, Bruno played the first time ball for Rashford to go through on goal - it was a very, very smart move. And even if United hadn't made any subs, United wouldn't have conceded with the way the game was going.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Still a bloody good manager to have those players playing like that. They gave us a hell of a game for 70 minutes with inferior players. We beat them because our players are better and we finished pretty much every chance we got.
Our bench was also the difference, which seems to be lost in the deluge of scornful posts. Rashford playing like a demon against a tiring team is a hammer blow. The others that came on were chomping at the bit, too.

Trying to impose his ideas against vastly superior attackers is always going to tread the line between genius and naivete

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
None of their attackers had a good game yesterday. Lots of poor passing in the final third. They didn't make runs behind the defense when they had a few chances to do so. Crossing was their go to method and they didn't threaten the United defense throughout the game. They should have created more danger from Upamecano constantly marauding into the United half.

Disappointed with Nagelsmann that he didn't try to stretch the play against the midfield diamond. Ole was happy to crowd out the center of the park and leave space on the flanks for their fullbacks and RBL couldn't utilize that space efficiently due:
* The absence of a target man
* Poor crossing
* Midfielders and attackers being clustered together

I think their defense was fine for the first 75 minutes, but the drop in the team's collective effort after that was unpardonable. I like the way Dayot moves the ball forward, and I hope that he can be more efficient with this passing. Definitely the makings of a top player in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: roonster09

edcunited1878

It's as simple as that.
Ummm...RBL had only 1 shot on target in the first half from 7 shots. United had 2 shots on target from 4 shots with 1 goal.

Leipzig compacted the space between their backline and United's backline, which made the middle of the park congested. It was hard for both teams to pass through the middle. That's not necessarily pressing as it is just positioning and shape when off the ball and defending.

Leipzig had one clear chance in the first half after United's goal but it was a tough near post angle that DDG was very much equal to.

The first half was cagey and tight. As you would expect for a high profile European match.

I also think you're discrediting how good this RBL team is by merely saying their two best players are their center halves....when its not like they just went to the CL semifinal a couple months ago by setting out a defensive stall. And they are top of the Bundesliga at the moment.

Finally, Nagelsmann will face PSG next and last time they faced off....PSG took them apart 3 goals to nil. They just shipped 5 goals against United.

Nagelsmann is still a good manager, but today he was out classed by another good manager, but one that doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
God and I thought AFTV were reactionary based on the last result :lol: