Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd love to see what he can do with some actual good players, the quality of that RB Liepzig team is poor. He's going to be an incredibly successful manager someday.

Chairman Steve

This reminds me of that time 40 years ago, where there was this Scottish guy that made a pretty good team for the league he was in and they were drawn in the European Cup against some English team who were champions of their league the previous year. That Scottish guy and his team got beat in both legs, including getting absolutely massacred in the second leg in England.

I don’t think that guy amounted to much.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He wasn’t helped by his players making two simple mistakes to let Salah & Mane in. They’ve also been hard done by due to Covid and having to play a home game in another country.

R'hllor

Well its easy to knock us out from CL group stage but Klopp aint Ole, better luck next time hipster.

Come on you can do it

Dominos

His game plan was fine. Leipzig actually looked the better team. Freak individual errors lead to Pools goals whereas Leipzig missed some sitters
Really not sure what game you were watching. Liverpool were getting in behind, had more good chances and dominated possession except for when the game was already won.

Having said that, he's not got the quality of players of the top teams, so games like this are bound to happen.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well its easy to knock us out from CL group stage but Klopp aint Ole, better luck next time hipster.

Come on you can do it
I know you’re trolling but you are actually right. Ole isn’t a good manager. The only people who think he is are a deluded section of our fan base who are blinded by nostalgia & sentiment.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I know you’re trolling but you are actually right. Ole isn’t a good manager. The only people who think he is are a deluded section of our fan base who are blinded by nostalgia & sentiment.
Ole would still have knocked this shower out if those two fixtures were CL knock out matches. Nagelsman might be the hipster’s choice but his team can’t defend for shit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This reminds me of that time 40 years ago, where there was this Scottish guy that made a pretty good team for the league he was in and they were drawn in the European Cup against some English team who were champions of their league the previous year. That Scottish guy and his team got beat in both legs, including getting absolutely massacred in the second leg in England.

I don’t think that guy amounted to much.
Why go back 40 years? Loads of much more recent examples of highly touted young managers losing big games like this then going on to actually not amount to much.

Marnsky68

Well said. Why can't we just have more objective fans like yourself. It's as clear as night and day that he isn't good enough for the level required at this club. Ffs we are not a midtable club.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well said. Why can't we just have more objective fans like yourself. It's as clear as night and day that he isn't good enough for the level required at this club. Ffs we are not a midtable club.
:lol:

Cast5

Ole’s first full season finished 3rd, he’s currently 2nd 6 points clear of Liverpool, So you are correct we are not a mid table club and haven’t been under Ole, we did finish 7th, 6th and 5th under Moyes, Mourinho and Van Gaal though. This will be the first year we’ve had a manager who’s got us back to back CL spot finishes though if we finish top 4.

Before you say Ole finished 6th, he wasn’t in charge long enough to judge and before you say It’s not a big achievement to finish in the CL spots, I know just agreeing with you that “We’re not a mid table club ffs” :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

Grande

Ole would still have knocked this shower out if those two fixtures were CL knock out matches. Nagelsman might be the hipster’s choice but his team can’t defend for shit.
True, but what jars me incredibly, is how Rasenballsport where deadly as vipers and defended like lions at home vs us, whereas at home vs Those Who Always Walk In Herds, they produced more and allowed less, but shot like blind mules and cleared like dead donkeys. I just hate Rasenballsport.

lex talionis

Does Nagelsmann still wear those ridiculous hipster party jackets in the manager’s box?

Godfather

This shower actually got through though. We didn't as Ole once again bottled it. Getting to the semis of the CL last year and sitting on second place in the BL might also suggest otherwise than that his team "can't defend for shit".

I do agree however that they lack some proper quality in their team. In comparison we have a far superior first XI and squad. Even more impressive how far this "hipster" manager has actually taken them and how little Ole has achieved with us.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

His team is crap considering the individuals in it but I can't help but feel that once you get past the first 15 minutes in each half when their pressing is at full energy they're so easy to pick off. There's none of the control that you see with a peak Guardiola side. Our issue was conceding those two early goals in the away leg.

roonster09

Scout
Is that funny because someone else thought it was funny? Made u feel more safe to put the smiley didn't it? Strength in numbers eh? Whether you think it's objective or not is all subjective hardly hilarious though.
Yeah strength in numbers, fecking hell :lol:

What's hilarious is also subjective, so it's none of your business.

roonster09

Scout
His team is crap considering the individuals in it but I can't help but feel that once you get past the first 15 minutes in each half when their pressing is at full energy they're so easy to pick off. There's none of the control that you see with a peak Guardiola side. Our issue was conceding those two early goals in the away leg.
Tbf it's a very high bar. None of the teams can control like peak Barca.

I think he lost 3/3 games vs Klopp. 2 in CL qualifiers and 1 in CL knockouts.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
90% of all football threads nowadays seem to landup discussing Ole versus XXX or ole out. The caf really sucks now.
One would have thought we are on the edge of the relegation zone.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Tbf it's a very high bar. None of the teams can control like peak Barca.

I think he lost 3/3 games vs Klopp. 2 in CL qualifiers and 1 in CL knockouts.
That stat really doesn't mean anything at all. 2 of them was with Hoffenheim, a team he took from relegation zone to Champions League qualification.

They can swap teams and Nagelsmann would be heavy favourite + likely to win 3/3,

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Yeah strength in numbers, fecking hell :lol:

What's hilarious is also subjective, so it's none of your business.
I mean I suppose! But I just find it a bit off if someone's opinion is laughed at because it differs from your own. And people who put :lol: faces after peoples posts/opinions I mean how old are you? (Not you in particular)

roonster09

Scout
That stat really doesn't mean anything at all. 2 of them was with Hoffenheim, a team he took from relegation zone to Champions League qualification.

They can swap teams and Nagelsmann would be heavy favourite + likely to win 3/3,
Yeah, I'm not using that stat against him.

roonster09

Scout
I mean I suppose! But I just find it a bit off if someone's opinion is laughed at because it differs from your own. And people who put :lol: faces after peoples posts/opinions I mean how old are you? (Not you in particular)
So old people don't laugh at other's opinion?

Some weird posts, good day.

Edit: Quick search shows you were laughing at others opinion, how old are/were you?

Last edited:

giggs-beckham

Clueless
So old people don't laugh at other's opinion?

Some weird posts, good day.
Old people can disagree with other people's opinion sure that's what this place is for but I've never liked the :lol: as it seems to suggest someone's an idiot for having an opposing opinion. And it's more aimed at other posters as I don't remember you personally. So yea good day.

roonster09

Scout
Old people can disagree with other people's opinion sure that's what this place is for but I've never liked the :lol: as it seems to suggest someone's an idiot for having an opposing opinion. And it's more aimed at other posters as I don't remember you personally. So yea good day.
You don't like it but me and plenty of others do. I don't see any problem with that.

Green smiley doesn't mean someone's an idiot, it's means that particular post is funny in good or bad way.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
You don't like it but me and plenty of others do. I don't see any problem with that.

Green smiley doesn't mean someone's an idiot, it's means that particular post is funny in good or bad way.
Its different laughing at a post if it's meant to be funny compared to you disagreeing with a post and downright laughing at it for being wrong in your eyes.
If I was having a debate with someone and they disagreed with me that'd be fine if they stood there and laughed out loud at my opinion I'd walk away as that's not a debate anymore it'd decended into something more juvenile.
And it's more of a general observation rather than at you personally. And something I'd normally keep to myself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This shower actually got through though. We didn't as Ole once again bottled it. Getting to the semis of the CL last year and sitting on second place in the BL might also suggest otherwise than that his team "can't defend for shit".

I do agree however that they lack some proper quality in their team. In comparison we have a far superior first XI and squad. Even more impressive how far this "hipster" manager has actually taken them and how little Ole has achieved with us.
I’m not bigging us up. Ole got found out in Europe, big time. I just think RB Leipzig have been seriously unimpressive too. Even in the game where they knocked us out they came extremely close to fecking up a comfortable lead. So many amateur defensive errors. Last night was a continuation of that theme. They looked decent last season but they’ve been bang average in this campaign. In my opinion

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Judging Nagelsmann at this stage in his carreer is not that easy I'd say. While he's already had some respectable success, he obviously still lacks silverware. But: He's just 33 years old, his carreer as a coach has simply just begun and yet he shows all the signs of someone that will become a coach of the highest level. Comparing him to the likes of Klopp, Guardiola and so forth is - just based on his age and experience as a head coach - not the wisest comparison. He's basically a toddler as a coach but still able to reach such goals.

Considering the Bundesliga is viewed as a weaker league than the premier league, I feel like his achievements on the international stage should be seen in higher regards. Assumed the Bundesliga is indeed a lot weaker than the premier league, making it out of the group stages against in a group consisting of PSG, Man Utd and Istanbul BB therefor shows top quality of the responsible coach. Even more so when you think of their last years' international campaign. It's safe to say that it's rightfully considered an overachievement for this side. Making it out of the groups and being 5 points behind Bayern domestically after losing Werner moreso shows it wasn't just a fluke last year.

If you look at their individual quality and consider that their main goal threat (who's now struggling heavily at Chelsea compared to his time in Leipzig!) shows that Nagelsmann was able to use his players properly to their strengths and elevate the overall level of his team to a higher standard than just the sum of individual quality. I think it's safe to say that this side with Werner still in it or with a goalthreat on a comparable level, they would be much stronger and not just due to the individual quality of said hypothetical player. Their players certainly are not shit, but compared to an even weakened Liverpool side, it's night and day.

All things considered I'd say that he's the greatest prospect as a coach in world football at the moment. For sure he will have huge success in the upcoming decades (!), that are yet to come for him as a 33 year old coach. While he might not be ready to manage an elite club, he certainly will be within the next 5-10 years (max). It's a lot about timing at this stage and which club will get it right once he has outgrown Leipzig. It's highly unlikely in my opinion that Nagelsmann is there to stay for more than say 2-3 years from now, he's just too good and other clubs know it. He brings everything with him that a modern coach needs, including true passion, good man management skills, tactical intelligence and the will to succeed, but also, considering his age, an open mind for changes and therefor he should be able to adapt to new influences in football easily. If Flick's time in München is over, Nagelsmann is predestined to be his successor, but that depends mostly on the timing of these clubs and coaches. When it happens, many clubs and fans mill make sad faces when they see on what they missed out.

Reactions: roonster09

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I’m not bigging us up. Ole got found out in Europe, big time. I just think RB Leipzig have been seriously unimpressive too. Even in the game where they knocked us out they came extremely close to fecking up a comfortable lead. So many amateur defensive errors. Last night was a continuation of that theme. They looked decent last season but they’ve been bang average in this campaign. In my opinion
I hate how loosely this word gets thrown around on social media regarding football.

They beat PSG at home, and pushed them hard away from home to the point that PSG were on the back foot towards the end of the match. Individual mistakes will creep in when you have inconsistent players, Mukiele was the also the one who almost conceded the own goal in the last match as well.

But ofcourse, that's also because of the fast paced style Nagelsmann likes to play. You can argue Mukiele's error yesterday would not have been punished if he wasn't the last man, due to Nagelsmann's attacking tactics. But that's a facet of him that I appreciate more, and it will look better when you have better players in those positions. Pep/Klopp's team regularly defend with a high line where it depends on the last defender to clear chances, ofcourse there's a big difference between having a 23 year old Mukiele clearing the ball and a prime Pique/Masherano/Van Diyk doing it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I hate how loosely this word gets thrown around on social media regarding football.

They beat PSG at home, and pushed them hard away from home to the point that PSG were on the back foot towards the end of the match. Individual mistakes will creep in when you have inconsistent players, Mukiele was the also the one who almost conceded the own goal in the last match as well.

But ofcourse, that's also because of the fast paced style Nagelsmann likes to play. You can argue Mukiele's error yesterday would not have been punished if he wasn't the last man, due to Nagelsmann's attacking tactics. But that's a facet of him that I appreciate more, and it will look better when you have better players in those positions. Pep/Klopp's team regularly defend with a high line where it depends on the last defender to clear chances, ofcourse there's a big difference between having a 23 year old Mukiele clearing the ball and a prime Pique/Masherano/Van Diyk doing it.
Mukiele wasn’t the only defender making basic defensive mistakes. Upamecano seemed to be in dreamland too. And he was extremely poor at Old Trafford as well.

I don’t watch them play much. I really don’t care how good or bad they are overall. I’m just commenting on what I’ve seen in this season’s CL campaign. Which is a team that blitzes for the first 15 minutes of each half then looks more and more average as the game goes on, while making a series of rookie defensive errors. They certainly don’t look a patch on what Klopp’s Dortmund used to look like. They were seriously impressive in Europe. RB Leipzig are not.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mukiele wasn’t the only defender making basic defensive mistakes. Upamecano seemed to be in dreamland too. And he was extremely poor at Old Trafford as well.

I don’t watch them play much. I really don’t care how good or bad they are overall. I’m just commenting on what I’ve seen in this season’s CL campaign. Which is a team that blitzes for the first 15 minutes of each half then looks more and more average as the game goes on, while making a series of rookie defensive errors. They certainly don’t look a patch on what Klopp’s Dortmund used to look like. They were seriously impressive in Europe. RB Leipzig are not.
There really was a golden team at Dortmund though. RB Leipzig have nothing remotely like that - closest they had was Werner who was pinched.

They certainly imploded at OT but they've also shown more resilience at other times. Their level of quality last season for example is far lower than that Dortmund side and yet they got all the way to the semi's. We can't go by isolated European fixtures to judge a team's defence. This season in the Bundasliga they have conceded the lowest in the league I think, more than 10 less goals than Bayern Munich.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Similar to other posters here I’ve no real agenda or care for nagelsmann or RB but I watched last night a bit more closely than I’ve seen them before and they seemed dire. Shakey as hell at the back, not just individual errors but all over the place defending, and 2-0 down towards the end they just had no ideas left, hitting aimless long balls forward, slow zombie passing around the back, all the usual shit that teams get stick for.

all this against a Liverpool team in woeful form and there for the taking, a team we’ve been hammered for only getting a draw against. I was fairly dissapointed to say the least

Godfather

To be honest that team was full of very very good footballers. Leipzig's really really isn't. Doesn't change your point but it's all about perspective. For the player material he has at his hands he is doing a very good job imo.

For the record I also don't think they were good yesterday. They've shown much better performances this season though. Plus the scoreline flattered Pool. Leipzig missed big chances and their goals came from freak errors. Sabitzer was out of his mind playing that pass

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
To be honest that team was full of very very good footballers. Leipzig's really really isn't. Doesn't change your point but it's all about perspective. For the player material he has at his hands he is doing a very good job imo.

For the record I also don't think they were good yesterday. They've shown much better performances this season though. Plus the scoreline flattered Pool. Leipzig missed big chances and their goals came from freak errors. Sabitzer was out of his mind playing that pass
Did they miss big chances? They hit the post early on from something the striker did well to get his head to in the first place and then had a chance in the 93rd minute. I honestly can’t remember any other glaring chances. Liverpool had better chances I thought even though their goals came from mistakes

also playing that high line and leaving it 2 v 2 with all that space was asking for trouble, Liverpool almost took advantage of that before the goals, no wonder mistakes were made