Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

AneRu

Judging by other commenters it isn't likely that Nagelsmann would leave RB so early but people are really underselling the appeal of the United job, for an ambitious manager the idea of being the man to take United back to the top must be very alluring. Even if we are a bit of a mess upstairs.
This, it might be a poisoned chalice but there is a huge upside in being the guy that finally got it right after years of mediocrity. Such a feat would cement a manager's legendary status just like Klopp has achieved God like status with Liverpool fans. And success at United will make someone very, very rich.

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
Nagelsmann is a manager who has the potential to take Man Utd back to glory but things is Man Utd management is still stuck in old ways which brought them glory bit like late 90's Liverpool.

I think the biggest challenge at Utd for nagelsmann at utd will not be coaching as he has proved he can make average or above average players play like a really good team like Klopp. Also Man Utd isnt that bad of team as individuals but as a team they are shambles. His biggest challenge will be to convince UTD board i.e. businessmen, to give up on their old ways and sell his modern methods to get their backing.

In simple words, his biggest challenge will be to sell football to bunch of businessmen.

Now it depends if nagelsmann want to do that, does he has the tacts required to flourish in this scenario. This is the question only he can answer.

I think this was also the reason klopp turned down UTD. I believe Klopp is more of a football fan before football manager, he likes to be with football people.

Reactions: SteveJ

stepic

would love this guy. we need a modern manager like him, had enough of the dinosaurs.

starman

My top choice, but not going to happen (not for sometime atleast) he wants to create and win something in his own country before moving abroad. The guy is only 32...he has so much time on his side before taking the leap

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Hey Jules,
Don't make me sad,
Take a bad club and make it better.
Remember to keep Fred out of your squad,
Then you can start, to make it better, better, better, better, better, better, oh!
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na,
na, na, na, na,
Nagelsmann.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Two things to take from this:

• Too many managers are appointed from the bootroom and let's be honest - most footballers are total morons (at least in England) and wouldn't be anywhere near a position of power in any other walk of life if it wasn't for them being good at kicking a football.
  • There's a good case for potential "youth managers" who go down the coaching line from a young age.
This was posted here in 2016 and aged well. Although Ole obviously isn't a moron, his position here is solely down to him being a legend for us as a player. No relevance between that and managerial ability.

Nagalsmann meanwhile has continued his growth for high potential.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can't claim to have followed Nagelsmann's career too closely, but I know enough to believe that he will be on the radar for most, if not all of the top clubs.

A manager making such a good impression at a young age is going to attract attention, and his progress will be followed by the top teams who have the sense to be aware of what is happening elsewhere.

He may be a good shout for the next United manager, it's certainly becoming a trend through the English game to go German in the dugout in recent years, to mixed success. But i cant see him coming if Ole was to get sacked during this season. Just cant see it being in keeping with how he conducted himself for his move to Leipzig.
True... and yet, I wouldn't be surprised if Ed Woodward has never heard of him.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It'd be interesting to see what he did with AWB. Don't think he'd fancy him as a wing back, so where would it leave him? Right of the CBs? Alternatively if he did play wing back in his wide roles then what about the likes of James etc. That's my only concern with him. But of course none of it would matter of we were playing good football.

ExSalfordRed

Get him to O.T if things get any worse with Ole, the guy is working wonders. He also has a system which is enjoyable to watch.

It'd be interesting to see what he did with AWB. Don't think he'd fancy him as a wing back, so where would it leave him? Right of the CBs? Alternatively if he did play wing back in his wide roles then what about the likes of James etc. That's my only concern with him. But of course none of it would matter of we were playing good football.
He's very flexible from what I've seen, he doesn't always use 3 at the back.

GazTheLegend

This was posted here in 2016 and aged well. Although Ole obviously isn't a moron, his position here is solely down to him being a legend for us as a player. No relevance between that and managerial ability.

Nagalsmann meanwhile has continued his growth for high potential.
I still believe it, too. Management at any level requires a completely different skillset to playing football.

SparkedIntoLife

Thinking about it, Ten Hag might be a more sensible option for now considering Nagelsmann has just gone to RB Leipzig and it'd be far more expensive prising him from there than it would be Ten Hag from Ajax. We should certainly leave Nagelsmann in no doubt that we like him though and hope that his next step in management is us rather than Bayern or the likes. From his perspective, it could well be too soon to come to us and he'd be risking a lot in terms of his bourgeoning reputation.

passing-wind

I still believe it, too. Management at any level requires a completely different skillset to playing football.
This is the most important aspect, Naglesmann ruined by injury retires early has everything within himself to prove in management. It's seldom you see successful players become world class managers, I think it takes a certain mentality to succeed as a manager as well as having a solid basis of knowledge about the game.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Hey Jules,
Don't make me sad,
Then you can start, to make it better, better, better, better, better, better, oh!
na, na, na, na,
Nagelsmann.
:lol::lol:

reddevil702

If this is who we want then don't feck around and pay whatever is necessary to bring him. Enough settling for plan b or c, we don't have the luxury of getting it wrong... again!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hey Jules,
Don't make me sad,
na, na, na, na,
Nagelsmann.
:lol:

wolvored

Hey Jules,
Don't make me sad,
na, na, na, na,
Nagelsmann.
:lol:

Andersonson

Very interesting guy, for sure. And Leipzig would already have their backup manager in Jesse Marsch, who has done really really well too.

But we all know who the next manager is going to be, he fits this ' Young and English ' philosophy to the core.

Ladies and gentleman mr Gareth Southgate

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
For his career growth he probably will prefer Bayern which has a very stable platform and a good team before coaching aboard.

amolbhatia50k

Very interesting guy, for sure. And Leipzig would already have their backup manager in Jesse Marsch, who has done really really well too.

But we all know who the next manager is going to be, he fits this ' Young and English ' philosophy to the core.

Ladies and gentleman mr Gareth Southgate
Why would Ed Woodward or our American owners a feck about hiring only English managers? IF there was any such focus (on players), it would have obviously come from Ole. Southgate will manage England at the next WC.

Suv666

Hey Jules,
Don't make me sad,
na, na, na, na,
Nagelsmann.
:lol::lol:

LoneStar

The United job seems to be like the defence against the dark arts position at Hogwarts.

fallengt

He's not going to join United. He left Hoffeheim to join Leipzig just one year ago. It makes no sense to leave after one season, especially he's doing so well there.
Woodward couldn't lure Klopp when United was on the high, how would he lure another young German when United on the low?

Someone read Caf and made an article out of it.

L1nk

Rose was apparently on the list to be permanent manager before Ole got it, i'd see him as more likely than Nagelsmann to get the job and even Rose is highly unlikely at this point. As much as i'd love either one.

The issue is, we have to hope there's a good manager that thinks he can turn us around or do something with the team, because the reality is any sane manager is gonna look at whats been happening since Fergie left, and the amount of sackings, and stay well clear of us.

edcunited1878

Not one person is going to make a difference...it takes a team, it takes a structure. Nagelsmann is a talented manager but he will be held back by United's football structure under Woodward, the wages, the scouting, the analysis, etc.

A creative person cannot be creative unless they are in an environment that promotes and allows for complete creative freedom. That is not United under Woodward.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If we had a top class coach with genuine potential I believe that most United fans wouldn't mind being patient for 3 years.
Nah. Doesn’t matter who coaches us, if they aren’t getting results they will be slaughtered.

amolbhatia50k

Nah. Doesn’t matter who coaches us, if they aren’t getting results they will be slaughtered.
Nope. It depends on progress. If the lack of results are like Klopp's first season at Liverpool, where there plenty of good signs there will be a whole lot more patience than Ole would get where there is feck all potential on display.

Obviously 17 odd points from 17 games deserves nothing less than a slaughtering.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Hey Jules,
Don't make me sad,
na, na, na, na,
Nagelsmann.
:lol: that's my music sorted for the evening

UpWithRivers

It's a risk but its seems we have tried many other options. Maybe give this a go as well. Him and Campos as DOF. Let's see what happens.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Hey Jules,
Don't make me sad,
na, na, na, na,
Nagelsmann.
:lol: Now we have to sign him.

ravi2

Not one person is going to make a difference...it takes a team, it takes a structure. Nagelsmann is a talented manager but he will be held back by United's football structure under Woodward, the wages, the scouting, the analysis, etc.

A creative person cannot be creative unless they are in an environment that promotes and allows for complete creative freedom. That is not United under Woodward.
Agreed, the entire structure from the top down needs to be altered for us to ever be truly successful again, especially scouting & negotiations.