Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

Castia

Guess that means that Hans Flick is a shit manager as Bayern lost 4-1 to Hoffenheim, and Klopp is a shit manager as Liverpool lost 7-2 to Villa, and Pep is a shit manager as City lost 5-2 to Leicester.

A big difference was the bench, Ole could bring on quality such as Bruno & Rashford, where Nagelsmann could bring on a Crystal Palace flop
I just find it hilarious, he’s got a ‘cult’ following it seems. I’ve seen in depth videos of just how good his tactics and style of play are etc.

Turns up at OT, Ole puts us in a formation we don’t usually play, rests a few players to boot and smashed him 5-0.

And people on here don’t want Poch because he’s not won anything....Poch is twice the manager of this guy.

poleglass red

He'll learn from this game, he's still very young for a manager, and he'll be all the better for it. Looked a bit clueless at times, but so did Ole a few games ago now he's being lauded for his tactics after 2 excellent wins in succession in CL. Games like this happen when you're still earning your craft, a bit like Upamecano, talented like his manger but both still young, chalk it down to experience and no doubt they will bounce back.No doubt these 2 talents will be to the forefront of football over next lot of yrs.

edcunited1878

I just find it hilarious, he’s got a ‘cult’ following it seems. I’ve seen in depth videos of just how good his tactics and style of play are etc.

Turns up at OT, Ole puts us in a formation we don’t usually play, rests a few players to boot and smashed him 5-0.

And people on here don’t want Poch because he’s not won anything....Poch is twice the manager of this guy.
Yeah...I wouldn't go that far about Poch being twice the manager of Nagelsmann. Let's give Nagelsmann a couple more years with RBL, let alone give him a Son and Kane in his attacking ranks. I'd bet Nagelsmann wouldn't do too bad compared to Poch.

Grande

He'll learn from this game, he's still very young for a manager, and he'll be all the better for it. Looked a bit clueless at times, but so did Ole a few games ago now he's being lauded for his tactics after 2 excellent wins in succession in CL. Games like this happen when you're still earning your craft, a bit like Upamecano, talented like his manger but both still young, chalk it down to experience and no doubt they will bounce back.No doubt these 2 talents will be to the forefront of football over next lot of yrs.
Leipzig played a good and tight game for 70 mins, even if United did just as good and a little bit better. Nagelsmann has gotten this team to a level of quality where they got to the CL SF and lead over Bayern in Bundesliga. This shows that Nagelsmann is very competent, and that Leipzig is a very good team. Many regard him as one of the most interesting coaches in the world at the moment. Yeaterday he was outwitted by Solskjær and ended up losing a game. That does not suddenly make him a bad coach. He shares that experience with Guardiola, Pochettino, Tuchel, Emery, Sarri, Lampard and Mourinho.

TsuWave

They dominated large parts of the game, especially after our first goal, but I think we have more/better individual quality and as a team we were imperious in that second half

R77

He's obv. done very well considering his achievements and age, and has a good future as a manager. Fair fecks to him. The way he went from screeching on the sideline in that suit to sitting down bemused is some tasty schadenfreude though.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They dominated large parts of the game, especially after our first goal, but I think we have more/better individual quality and as a team we were imperious in that second half
Their domination in the first half was 95% down to the referee blowing for a free kick every time we beat their press, it was a joke. I also don't think they dominated at all, they kept us boxed in at times but they didn't get a sniff at goal because our defensive shape was excellent, they played right into our hands.

I don't like this line of thinking that we won because we had the better players, we were better as a unit as well, we've been playing as a collective for ages now and I feel it takes away credit from us when we talk about individual quality being the difference.

Kaizane

Their domination in the first half was 95% down to the referee blowing for a free kick every time we beat their press, it was a joke. I also don't think they dominated at all, they kept us boxed in at times but they didn't get a sniff at goal because our defensive shape was excellent, they played right into our hands.

I don't like this line of thinking that we won because we had the better players, we were better as a unit as well, we've been playing as a collective for ages now and I feel it takes away credit from us when we talk about individual quality being the difference.
Haven't you heard? We're crap as a team when we lose but brilliant individually when we win.

troylocker

Are you a part of the Poch-cult then? I think the heaviest argument against Poch is the combination of never won anything, totally losing it at Spurs, losing the respect of the players and turning a great squad shit.

Nagelsmann having a crap night yesterday doesn't make him a bad manager though. I guess he learned something from it and will be better prepared the next time. It shows that the grass isn't allways greener on the other side of the fence, and the occasional bad game will happen to every manager out there.
From recent weeks: RM - Shaktar 2-3, Villa - LFC 7-2, City - Leicester 2-5, United - Spurs 1-6, Getafe - Barcelona 1-0 etc.

Success is not necessarily transferable from one competetive environment to the next either....

We'll probably hear about Nagelsmann for a couple of decades still, even after this loss. Do I want him here now? No. Do I want a managerchange now? No.
I still want to see the endproduct of project Ole.

georgipep

So, in a thread about a different manager you use last night's defeat in the hands of Ole to somehow bring Poch in the discussion? And then you go a step further and dare to bring the word 'cult' in the conversation? Get a grip.

Irwin99

Have no opinion or real knowledge on this guy except that he took the club far in the CL last year but it seems (albeit from my colossal sample size of one game :lol: ) that the technical quality of his team is quite high, the energy is good, but there was no cutting edge at all and I didn't think they handled the physical strength of our players very well. They seemed to be pretty dominant in terms of possession for periods of the game but there was only one team that looked like scoring, and if you concede the first goal against United these days you're in trouble.

Castia

Yeah...I wouldn't go that far about Poch being twice the manager of Nagelsmann. Let's give Nagelsmann a couple more years with RBL, let alone give him a Son and Kane in his attacking ranks. I'd bet Nagelsmann wouldn't do too bad compared to Poch.
Those players weren’t there when Poch took over people forget that. When he joined Spurs they were shite. They had actually qualified for the CL just once before he joined.

Meh anyway I don’t wanna get off topic so I’ll drop it there.

troylocker

Those players weren’t there when Poch took over people forget that. When he joined Spurs they were shite. They had actually qualified for the CL just once before he joined.

I know this is the Nagelsmann thread, but I couldn't resist.

Son and Kane actually looks hungrier and better coached right now under the Toxic one than they ever did under Poch.....

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Most threads in the football forum are really odd these days. I don't really understand the urge of some United fans to belittle other managers and leagues after a win. Doesn't that deminish your own team's accomplishments?

Nagelsmann has done astounding things for a manager so young and now his team got a punch in the mouth in the group stage after it made the SF last season. Stranger things have happened.

Skeezix

Like I said yesterday. He is a La Sape.

He'll learn a lot from that thrashing. He's the German Brendan Rodgers. Very conscious about his looks and dress. Good attacking coach no doubt.

Time is with him, and he'll improve on the weaknesses of his system and tactics (Just like Brenda after his return to the Premier League last year).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Most threads in the football forum are really odd these days. I don't really understand the urge of some United fans to belittle other managers and leagues after a win. Doesn't that deminish your own team's accomplishments?

Nagelsmann has done astounding things for a manager so young and now his team got a punch in the mouth in the group stage after it made the SF last season. Stranger things have happened.
Our own team gets belittled a lot too. I think a lot of it stems from frustration of where we are now compared to where we used to be. Going from 25+ years of dominance to now making the CL once every other season has lead to a lot of negativity among United fans and we often seem to take out that frustration on anything we can.

Pagh Wraith

It's really annoying and only getting worse. It's almost best to just completely ignore any thread dedicated to a manager or team that was shown on TV in the previous 24 hours and lost. Because you know 90% of posts are going to be "FRAUD", "getting found out", "where are the hipsters now". Some of which will be people joining in to troll but that doesn't make it better. Really think mods should come up with something to improve the level of discussion on here.

edcunited1878

I know this is the Nagelsmann thread, but I couldn't resist.

Son and Kane actually looks hungrier and better coached right now under the Toxic one than they ever did under Poch.....
What? Poch signed in May 2014...later that season, at the end of 14/15, guess who won PFA Player of the Year...Yeah, Harry Kane. So when he joined Spurs, Kane was already on their books. Then the next year their team got more signings (Son) to improve upon the spine Poch inherited in Lloris, Vertonghen, Walker, Rose, Davies, Lamela, Dier, Eriksen, and Kane.

So similar to Nagelsmann, Poch inherited a young, but promising spine of a team. We all saw Poch's ascendancy after a few years finishing second, but then domestic results declined year over year after that peak. Then they peaked as CL Finalists and then he got sacked.

All that to say is that Nagelsmann is in a similar trajectory as Poch, but they all deserve time to see where they settle. Nagelsmann's trajectory has been much quicker, but he's not without fault and has a lot to learn and experience as last night alluded to.

One massive smacking in CL group stage brings the team and him down a little bit, but it's a lesson. He should learn from it, but it doesn't take away that he's still a very young but very bright and encouraging manager.

mu4c_20le

It really is astounding how whenever Ole gets a big result, it's just a fluke, or maybe the opposition weren't at the races. But with the boy wonder, a bad result is just a punch in the mouth, or whatever metaphor you germanslike to use. I'm sure stranger things have happened and will continue to happen, but it doesn't change the fact that Nagelsmann suffered the worst defeat of his career last night.

hubbuh

Yep, well said. Hard to believe anyone could watch that game and think RBL dominated us for large parts of the game. They knocked the ball about and exerted a bit of pressure as is fairly usually for a game of football, but basically offered zero threat.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It really is astounding how whenever Ole gets a big result, it's just a fluke, or maybe the opposition weren't at the races. But with the boy wonder, a bad result is just a punch in the mouth, or whatever metaphor you germanslike to use. I'm sure stranger things have happened and will continue to happen, but it doesn't change the fact that Nagelsmann suffered the worst defeat of his career last night.
True. So? A couple of weeks ago United got shafted by the Spurs in humiliating fashion. These things happen and don't define a career or even a season. This result makes Nagelsmann a fraud in the same way the Spurs game means that Ole just can't hack it: It doesn't. So I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me.

PS: I'm not german. I've also pretty much never talked about Ole, so I guess you're projecting in the first part of your post.

mu4c_20le

True. So? A couple of weeks ago United got shafted by the Spurs in humiliating fashion. These things happen and don't define a career or even a season. This result makes Nagelsmann a fraud in the same way the Spurs game means that Ole just can't hack it: It doesn't. So I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me.

PS: I'm not german. I've also pretty much never talked about Ole, so I guess you're projecting in the first part of your post.
He isn't the only manager to have these phrases thrown at him after a humiliating result. Where were you when the likes of Poch, Ole, Lampard, Pep, or even Klopp were called frauds after a hiding? I mean, either they aren't serious or some of them have only watched him for the first time. In any case, I think it's fair to question his abilities after getting thoroughly outplayed by what many had presumed to be an inferior manager.

Infra-red

I have no idea what he thought he was doing yesterday - absolutely dreadful.

I am of course talking about his sartorial choices, rather than his tactical ones. Utterly bizarre.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
He isn't the only manager to have these phrases thrown at him after a humiliating result. Where were you when the likes of Poch, Ole, Lampard, Pep, or even Klopp were called frauds after a hiding? I mean, either they aren't serious or some of them have only watched him for the first time. In any case, I think it's fair to question his abilities after getting thoroughly outplayed by what many had presumed to be an inferior manager.
Why does it irk you so much that a remarkably young manager gets praised? And why would you question anyones ability after one single match? It sounds like you're in here proclaiming that the guy your team just beat is actually pretty shit. Why go that route instead of just being glad that you destroyed a strong opponent? I really, really don't get it.

mu4c_20le

Why does it irk you so much that a remarkably young manager gets praised? And why would you question anyones ability after one single match? It sounds like you're in here proclaiming that the guy your team just beat is actually pretty shit. Why go that route instead of just being glad that you destroyed a strong opponent? I really, really don't get it.
That doesn't make any sense because I'm the one giving him praise before this game :D I like him and still do, I just find it funny how you are so sensitive when it comes to your young prodigal manager receiving the same kind of heat that others do when they suffer a bad result. Ole takes it on a weekly basis, for example.

Posh Red

Like I said yesterday. He is a La Sape.

He'll learn a lot from that thrashing. He's the German Brendan Rodgers. Very conscious about his looks and dress. Good attacking coach no doubt.

Time is with him, and he'll improve on the weaknesses of his system and tactics (Just like Brenda after his return to the Premier League last year).
Weirdly this is exactly what I thought last night too!

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
We have seen what a trophyless manager can do so why did you endorse another trophyless manager for us ? I want Allegri instead of ole get sacked.
I didn't endorse him. I said that Nagelsmann won't be offered the job because of his teams performance last night.

The weird suit probably didn't help his case either tbh.

lex talionis

Julian's costume last night was a bit daft. Yes, I know what he wears means nothing, but I wonder if Leipzig, the manager included, got caught up too much in their own hype going into the match. They're a good squad with a good manager, but they looked to me like a squad expecting to walk all over us. A heavy defeat like this proves or disproves nothing about his as a manager, but it will be interesting to see how RBL respond in their upcoming matches. Maybe United have lifted the mask off this fraud of a club or maybe we just caught them out napping against what they thought was cannon fodder.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
This is a United forum and our own manager and a club legend gets slaughtered here after every defeat and after most draws as well - mostly by United fans. Hell, from some fans he doesn’t even get praised for good results like the one yesterday or against PSG. And not only that, but the Nagelsmann & Co threads get bumped every time Ole makes a mistake or doesn’t win a game.
Ole got destroyed here after the Spurs result, however the Nagelsmann fan club weren’t here back then defending Ole. But now Nagelsmann suffers a huge defeat but predictably the same fan club are now defending him. So don’t be surprised if now as a response to the negative posts and all the Nagelsmann hype on a United forum you will find some United supporters not eager to care about the feelings of Nagelsmann or his fans.

From my and some other fans’ point of view - i.e. someone who likes Ole, thinks he is a good manager with still room to improve and who wants him to do well - it’s incredibly frustrating to come here and see several threads and posts questioning Ole everytime we get a result which is not a win with a great performance.
Anyone who is surprised that Nagelsmann is being questioned should read any of the Ole threads and they will then find out how much more our own manager is being questioned regularly.
It’s also not going to stop. The Ole out posts will be very visible again on Sunday if we fail to beat Arsenal and the Nagelsmann hype train will be rolling again, too if he beats our 2nd string in the return leg.