Julian Nagelsmann- managerial wonderkid.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just seen the boy wonder has won his first three games as Leipzig coach and a cup tie. Worked a near miracle at Hoffenheim before he even turned 30.

What's up for him in the long term then? I assume he'd actually be at Bayern this season but guess he's taking long term view. German NT,Dortmund, PSG, Barca, Manchester un.......where do people think his style will work best?

Mad thing is he's only just turned 32 so could feasibly be a coach for nearly 40 more years so plenty of time for him to have a go at a few of those jobs.

izec

Sky is the limit. He is climbing up the ladder.

I think he will be at Bayern or some international top club after that. Think he will be the next big thing, currently a lot of things speak for that

Any modern club really. Watched the Leipzig game on Friday, i really liked what i saw. Gladbach are no pushovers

Last edited:

Thiagoal

Actually United would make a lot of sense for his next move! Awakening a fallen giant with low current expectations; similar to Klopp

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Actually United would make a lot of sense for his next move! Awakening a fallen giant with low current expectations; similar to Klopp
Could be. I don't know much about him but seems the Caf rate him highly :)

mu4c_20le

Nailed on to end up at Dortmund or Bayern sooner rather than later

Sterling Archer

Ed's not going to go for a young guy that knows better than him and will make him feel limp.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Nailed on to end up at Dortmund or Bayern sooner rather than later
Iirc Dortmund would've signed him 18 months ago as Boszs replacement, but Hoffenheim vetoed a mid-season switch. He certainly appears to be ambitious, so I wouldn't be suprised if he'd try to make the biggest step possible after Leipzig.

And I think he's too smart to risk getting burned by the mess that is the current United. Klopp joined Liverpool, because he's a romantic, Nagelsmann isn't at all afaik.

Wayne's World

Looks the real deal and like his style of football which I think we'll work well in England.

Certainly one to keep an eye on and Leipzig in Europe this season

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Great, another young eccentric German manager for all the hipsters to cream themselves over.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully he'll get Amapdu in the team a bit this season.

Haven't watched much Bundesliga recently but might try more this season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He has done a very good job with Hoffenheim in the league.

But his both europeans seasons were totally terrible.....big test this season with Leipzig.
I think that's too harsh. First season they had to play Liverpool in the play-off and from what I remember actually did reasonably well in the first leg. I didn't watch their EL campaign, but results indeed suggest it was quite bad.
His second campaign however was quite far from terrble, they got a difficult and quite experienced group with City, Lyon and Donetsk. Iirc basically all matches were fairly close affairs and a lot of goofy stuff happened, like player's getting sent off and late goals.

Just think about it, he had to try to replace Uth and Gnabry, while being confronted with his upcoming switch to Leipzig and then he has to host City with Akpoguma, Hoogma, Posch, Brenet and Szalai all starting and actually manages to hold a 1:1 for 87 minutes and then some guy on the caf comes along and calls it totally terrible.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I think that's too harsh. First season they had to play Liverpool in the play-off and from what I remember actually did reasonably well in the first leg. I didn't watch their EL campaign, but results indeed suggest it was quite bad.
His second campaign however was quite far from terrble, they got a difficult and quite experienced group with City, Lyon and Donetsk. Iirc basically all matches were fairly close affairs and a lot of goofy stuff happened, like player's getting sent off and late goals.

Just think about it, he had to try to replace Uth and Gnabry, while being confronted with his upcoming switch to Leipzig and then he has to host City with Akpoguma, Hoogma, Posch, Brenet and Szalai all starting and actually manages to hold a 1:1 for 87 minutes and then some guy on the caf comes along and calls it totally terrible.
To go out against Liverpool was no shame....but their results and performances in the Europa League were terrible.

Their CL campaign last season was maybe not terrible but still poor.......their tactics and mistakes were laughable in most games.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
There's a reason the guy went to Hoffenheim and Leipzig. Both clubs have almost zero history but are very modern in terms of culture, infrastructure, scouting etc.

Coaches like Nagelsmann like innovative clubs - those that are open to change and trying out new things - and at least as of now, United is very much the opposite of that profile. You'd have to promise him many things that aren't related to money. That's the thing with these highly innovative geniuses/hipster managers. It's not enough to throw money at them, they also need the assurance that the club is willing to facilitate their demanded changes. If you can't convince them in that matter, they'll fear to fail because they'll encounter resistances and a "we've always done it this way and it was successful so we won't do it in yours" mentality.

By the way, don't underestimate Liverpool in that matter. They had already redirected the club when Klopp was brought in. In fact, Klopp himself said that his appointment was the result of the clubs intense work with footballing data which sugested that his last season at Dortmund wasn't bad but incredibly unlucky. Liverpool is nowadays probably the leading club in the world in the whole big data topic and that's just one aspect of innovation.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How have Leipzig been playing? Caught some extended highlights of their match against Zenit, had some nice build up in the final third. Sarbitzer probably scored the goal of the season across all competitions.