Julian Weigl

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, I'm not surprised. Never got the hype with him.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Look at Dortmund ruining another promising youngster again. He should have joined Bayern instead.

Seriously though, I hope he has success at Benfica. I still believe he could become great in a possession style Guardiola team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What happened to him? Wasn't he one of the best defensive midfield prospects in world football?
HE was never great defensively, but was good at slinging forward passes from a deep position. He had a bad injury and never really recovered fully. He lacks pace similarly to Jorginho so people bypass him way too easily.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What happened to him? Wasn't he one of the best defensive midfield prospects in world football?
Tuchel's dominating football was perfect for Weigl, highlighted his strengths and hid his weaknesses. But the first cracks already appeared during Tuchel's and Weigl's second season at Dortmund, when the team couldn't control games nearly as well anymore after losing Mkhitaryan, Gündogan and Hummels in one summer, perhaps also because of Dembele's high risk/high reward style.

Bosz likes to defend with the ball, but he also wants his CMs to push higher up and that didn't work at all with Weigl to the point where it seemed like he was ignoring instructions and Sahin made a comeback as a regular starter, because for all his injuries and slowness he was/is happy to interpret the role in a more attacking fashion.

Under Stöger, who finished that season as a care-taker, the team had even less control over matches, Weigl started most of the time, but everything was a mess the team had less and less confidence and the midfield was often wide open, making someone as slow and lanky as Weigl looking lost..

So the following summer Dortmund's management felt they needed a rebuild and that their midfield was too often pushed over too easily, they signed Witsel/Delaney. The Belgian is just the more complete player and with all his experience he apparently also became a bit of a team leader immediately. So that was that for Weigl as far as being the midfield anchor. He picked up some minutes here and there when Witsel was injured and established himself as the team's 3rd/4th CB, but bottom line is that his departure was only a matter of time after Witsel's first couple of games.

mav_9me

Will do well here. We urgently need a defensive midfielder.
I am assuming you are talking about Benfica. I thought your DM Florentino was supposed to be a real talent? How come you urgently need a DM? Genuine question

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I am assuming you are talking about Benfica. I thought your DM Florentino was supposed to be a real talent? How come you urgently need a DM? Genuine question
Florentino lacks experience, and he's having a hard time to be 100% fit this season, since he only started conditional training at mid-October due to a knee surgery.

Last edited:

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I like Weigl and think for 20 Mio he is a steal. Can do a good job as deep lying playmaker.
Just wrote in the Eriksen thread that I would have had a look at those 2. With a hard worker and runner like Fred in between them we could have had a well balanced midfield for max. 50 Mio spending.
Instead we are looking at overpriced Britsh lads.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I like Weigl and think for 20 Mio he is a steal. Can do a good job as deep lying playmaker.
Just wrote in the Eriksen thread that I would have had a look at those 2. With a hard worker and runner like Fred in between them we could have had a well balanced midfield for max. 50 Mio spending.
Instead we are looking at overpriced Britsh lads.
Here at Benfica we have Pizzi and Gabriel that offer a lot of mobility. He will give us the protection to the defense that we lacked at Champions League this season.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

It seems that he is not really part of the first team at Benfica anymore and already looking for a move.

I have not watched him that much within the last 12-18 months, but I always rated him. Definitely would prefer him as replacement for Matic over McTominay.
Still only 25.
Probably I am the only one here thinking he might be worth a look.

Holters

It seems that he is not really part of the first team at Benfica anymore and already looking for a move.

I have not watched him that much within the last 12-18 months, but I always rated him. Definitely would prefer him as replacement for Matic over McTominay.
Still only 25.
Probably I am the only one here thinking he might be worth a look.
A slow player not good enough for Dortmund or Benfica... Yeah, sounds like the perfect fit for the Premier League and United...