June internationals (WC qualifiers and Nations League)

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I'm using the UK definition , to my knowledge only uk has a seat in the United nations, and I don't think Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland can be quite classified as truly independent nations on their own.

But again as I said, it's really none of my business anyway.
They do not call themselves fellow country men

Scotland and Wales are counties?
I see nothing :wenger:

Remember the geese

Tbf to him, it's been a long season! He must be drained after last Saturday's game
The game came at an awful time for him, that's for sure. Can't be helped though, obviously. I think he played as if he was mentally shattered, let alone physically. Just unfortunate timing after the parade nonsense.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We have 150 years or so of football rivalry with Scotland. It’s the oldest international fixture of the lot. Not that I personally cheer against them but there is no sense of “British” football identity as opposed to England, Scotland and Wales. It felt really weird in the 2012 London Olympics to have a GB team.
Fair enough obviously, I'm aware of the sectarian divide that exists there as well, but I suppose I just thought it wouldn't take precedence in places like this.

I also reckon that a hypothetical *GB* team could have won maybe a few more titles than Britain if it had existed, i imagine having the likes of denis law, dalglish and others would have helped.
This is true.

They are supported by their big brother England.

We allow them to do this and that but ultimately they always come running back for a cuddle when the going gets tough or they need a few quid for the cinema.
I'm astounded that no one has come roasting you yet :nono:
They do not call themselves fellow country men

I see nothing :wenger:
Fair enough.

Last edited:

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Fair enough obviously, I'm aware of the sectarian divide that exists there as well, but I suppose I just thought it wouldn't take precedence in places like this.

I also reckon that a hypothetical *GB* team could have won maybe a few more titles than Britain if it had existed, i imagine having the likes of denis law, dalglish and others would have helped.

Fair enough.
Giggs keane Scholes Beckham

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Only took 22 minutes for my statement to become obsolete :D

Roast him some more!

Checks with the name, although unfortunately(or fortunately whichever you look at it ) Keane would be out of bounds as republic of Ireland is a separate country from GB.
Yea true i always remember England having a left wing issue, and thinking wish Giggsy was English.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

very good performance from Ukraine, especially considering the circumstances. I thought they should have phased yarmolenko out of the team since before the euro's, but he's managed to keep producing big moments for them.

Chipper

Adulterer.
A British team of the last 25 years would have been England plus Giggs and then Bale.
Robertson would get in now and a few others might have got capped although not necessarily as first choice players. Evans, Ramsey, Tierney, McAllister, Hendry, Collins. The last 3 maybe just sneaking into that 25 year limit.

Edit: Perhaps Gary Speed and Darren Fletcher too.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
very good performance from Ukraine, especially considering the circumstances. I thought they should have phased yarmolenko out of the team since before the euro's, but he's managed to keep producing big moments for them.
Whatever happened to Konoplyakna? Came through at same time and was massively rated 5 years ago but went to Sevilla and didn't do much. Injured or not called up?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Oh how he escaped my mind, imagine adding George best to that great British side of the old(plus denis law).
Would instantly become one of the greatest sides in football ever!(it already was but even more)

NoPace

Not sure if it was him or the coach's instruction, but once it was clear Scotland was defending man to man 3 vs 3 in the midfield he moved from RW to a more #10 role and had Scotland's CM panicking. Really good movement all around from him.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Robertson would get in now and a few others might have got capped although not necessarily as first choice players. Evans, Ramsey, Tierney, McAllister, Hendry, Collins. The last 3 maybe just sneaking into that 25 year limit.

Edit: Perhaps Gary Speed too.
Aye and from the late 90s and 2000s I’d add in Ferguson to provide a natural sitting presence with more craft than Butt/Hargreaves etc in the centre of midfield, which was always an area England struggled to sort out. A few others would have dipped in for a year or two when England were weak in certain positions, such as goalkeeper for example.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Oh how he escaped my mind, imagine adding George best to that great British side of the old(plus denis law).
Would instantly become one of the greatest sides in football ever!(it already was but even more)
Imagnine England 1970 with Bobby Moore, Charlton and Banks plus Best and Dennis Law, I think they have a chance to dethrone Brazil 1970. Brazil 1970 had a hard time against that England side and that England side wasn’t that much clinical at finishing ( a big reason why they lost to Brazil). Put Law and Best in that team… I think they would feck up almost every single teams in that tournament.

NoPace

Some assorted thoughts:

-Zinchenko, best player on the field. Nimble and clever. Would like to see him playing in midfield for someone other than City.

-The Ukrainian backup 9 who scored at the end looked a complete donkey. Almost let Scotland get back into it.

-The youngster Mudryk who came on turned down Brentford for Bayer Leverkusen I guess, to play european football. He looked fantastic. We should hire whoever works for Brentford on transfers.

-First time seeing Hickey. He started poorly and was beaten (along with McTominay really) for the 2nd goal at the back post, but he did better when they moved to a back 4 and he got more space and time on the ball. Good response mentally to a tough situation for a young player.

-Scottish coach went Northern Irish in approach with everything long to Dykes and it didn't work at all. If they'd started Armstrong instead of him and played more of a 3-4-2-1 instead of 5-2-1-2 it would have been a nailbiter of a game even with Ukraine being better.

-The Yarmolenko goal was sort of a sneakily poor one to concede because Malinovskiy has a brilliant left foot and they just let him drop deep and pick up the ball with no pressure on him.

-McTominay looked a League 2 player at CB, but his usual Championship promotion candidate or trying to survive premiership team level type once he was back in midfield.

-Ukraine didn't look comfortable defending and Stepanenko now seems to have aged into being their weak link in their back 6, though he did cover McGinn fine on the 2nd balls when the Scots went long to Dykes. If they qualify, I wonder if they should try to play a midfield double pivot with Zinchenko and another passing midfielder and just go all in on trying to play lovely football. Seems like otherwise they'll struggle to win a tough knockout game.

-Billy Gilmour has some skill but he's tiny and not so quick a dribbler as to make up for it. I wonder if he should go on loan to the Champo next year instead of the Prem.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Imagnine England 1970 with Bobby Moore, Charlton and Banks plus Best and Dennis Law, I think they have a chance to dethrone Brazil 1970. Brazil 1970 had a hard time against that England side and that England side wasn’t that much clinical at finishing ( a big reason why they lost to Brazil). Put Law and Best in that team… I think they would feck up almost every single teams in that tournament.
Brazil may still be too much for them as I always felt that that group of players hit a very sudden decline (maybe more so the internal problems they faced with the likes of Bobby moore being detained on bogus charges) and brazil still being one of the greatest sides to ever grace the game but I'm sure someone here is old enough and knowledge enough to provide more info.

But your spot on, adding those two ( and imagining that the internal problems didn't exist) would make that Britain team formidable indeed, a very scary prospect for anyone seeing how complete they would be all over the pitch.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Whatever happened to Konoplyakna? Came through at same time and was massively rated 5 years ago but went to Sevilla and didn't do much. Injured or not called up?
Kono plays in Poland now, moved there just before the war broke out.

He went to Schalke after the Sevilla season, and caused trouble with the manager there (can't remember who it was) in his first season, but still didn't do much when Tedesco came in and gave him a consistent starting place. After that he went to Shakhtar, was injured often and unable to become more than a sub. He'd lost his guaranteed national team place by then.

Overall, he just didn't improve beyond the early promise at Dnipro, and settled into being a highly frustating failed Robben wannabe, good for a nice goal every 7-8 games or so. Constant cut in and shoot, but without the intelligence, consistent shooting precision or athleticism needed for that style at a high level.

NICanRed

Just remembered why I was so excited when Di Maria joined us and how disappointed I was with the end result.
He is a player and alongside Messi they are scary!

RedDevil@84

Why is media wanking over Messi equaling Ronaldo's international trophies. Nations League is a bit of meh when compared to Euros and the WC, but it was still played over many stages and was difficult to reach to finals and win it. This inter continental final was a community shield of sorts.

MUW4Eva

Why is media wanking over Messi equaling Ronaldo's international trophies. Nations League is a bit of meh when compared to Euros and the WC, but it was still played over many stages and was difficult to reach to finals and win it. This inter continental final was a community shield of sorts.
Still hard to get to and play it, as to get to it you have ti win your regional tournament to do so.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There was me just thinking each had won one international tournament......

Argentina look a proper team now with strong defensive structure so vibes of 2014 perhaps.....

diarm

Fred with an early assist to Richarlison against South Korea.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I'm using the UK definition , to my knowledge only uk has a seat in the United nations, and I don't think Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland can be quite classified as truly independent nations on their own.

But again as I said, it's really none of my business anyway.
They’re all countries

He has a meltdown if you dish it back, so he’s usually just ignored

Classical Mechanic

Edit: Perhaps Gary Speed and Darren Fletcher too.
Aye and from the late 90s and 2000s I’d add in Ferguson to provide a natural sitting presence with more craft than Butt/Hargreaves etc in the centre of midfield, which was always an area England struggled to sort out. A few others would have dipped in for a year or two when England were weak in certain positions, such as goalkeeper for example.
Personally I think McTominay would've won some caps for a GB team too. The England midifeld was very bad not so long ago. Jake Livermore was still getting caps in 2017 and he bounced around the bottom of the Premier League and the top of The Championship. I think he was in the squad as a Championship player at one point in the not so distant past.

I think right now a GB team would have Robertson as first choice LB and Bale would still be in there. Tierney would be in contention but not guaranteed a place if all of Robertson, Chilwell and Shaw were fit too.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
OP has been edited with the matches for today and will continue being edited each day.

Pocho

Olympic games ar far more important than Nations League and Argentina didn´t have that trophy until Messi won it

MUW4Eva

Olympic games ar far more important than Nations League and Argentina didn´t have that trophy until Messi won it
The Olympics are in football terms, an under 23 tournament, with a few over age players.

So not really a senior level tournament, so the Nations League being an actual senior tournament, is ahead of the Olympics.