Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It seems bizarre because so many people used to complain about Lindelof being bullied in the air, the forum consensus has done a complete 180 over last couple of years whereby aerial duels no longer matter because "modern football". Bottom 9th percentile of centre backs in the Dutch league for aerial duels isn't a concern in the slightest.
Not me, I think it’s still important in the PL.

but the difference between timber and Lindelof is attitude. Timber is proactive, competes, positions well and uses his physicality. Lindelof is passive and well the absolute opposite of everything. So even though timber is smaller, I’d take him over Lindelof every time.
Smaller CBs have succeeded in English football; it’s all about attitude and timing

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Isn’t he with the Ajax squad for some tour game which Ten Hag didn’t participate? Any Ajax fans know more of this? :lol:
He is with the Ajax squad on Curacao. He features on the latest Ajax vid on youtube.

Mcking

It seems bizarre because so many people used to complain about Lindelof being bullied in the air, the forum consensus has done a complete 180 over last couple of years whereby aerial duels no longer matter because "modern football". Bottom 9th percentile of centre backs in the Dutch league for aerial duels isn't a concern in the slightest.
I find it amusing how often members of this forum dismiss the apparent weakness of players we are linked to, until they join and it turns out to be a major weakness after all.

Just check-out Wan-Bissaka and Maguire's transfer threads. Some were genuinely arguing that 80m was going to be a good deal for Maguire, and that there was nothing wrong with Wan-Bissaka's technique, as if Wan-Bissaka's lack of technical proficiency while he played for Palace wasn't one the most obvious things you'd notice in football. Even someone that had no history as a football fan could see that his ball handling was completely different compared to almost every other Premier League footballer.

For what it's worth, I like Timber as a potential signing because he is a fantastic footballer, and I want him as our RB, but aerial dominance and presence at setpieces should be a prerequisite for a Premier League centerback, and if you sign one who is neither, then you have already made a transfer mistake whether the manager is able to make it work or not.

evil_geko

You would think Cannavaro, Puyol, Baresi, Beckenbauer etc didn't exist judging by reading this thread. :houllier:

SATA

His agency posted the picture so might be just them going to negotiate.
Not sure if a face to face negotiation is necessary as it can be done virtually online and phone calls till all parties agree. I get your point though. I was more on the player flying in to sign the actual contract :lol:

Darlington Padgett

Not sure if a face to face negotiation is necessary as it can be done virtually online and phone calls till all parties agree. I get your point though. I was more on the player flying in to sign the actual contract :lol:
That makes sense but I just want to keep the dream alive :lol:

Dominos

You would think Cannavaro, Puyol, Baresi, Beckenbauer etc didn't exist judging by reading this thread. :houllier:
You're going back decades, to different leagues to find exceptions.

It's also worth noting some players may be far far better in the air than their height would suggest, which I can't say applies to Timber given he's bottom 9th percentile in the Dutch league for centre backs.

Again, how many current premier league sides start with a 5'10 centre backs consistently? And in a back 4? And do so with a lot of success that it's not an issue? Someone ought to tell the current premier league managers that Puyol wasn't that tall so they should start signing short centre backs. Is Klopp crazy too because he targets aerially dominant centre backs?

joedirt87

the only recent shorter CB in the Prem I can think off is Nathan Ake. No clue how he has done for City but I thought he was a decent to pretty good defender at Bournemouth. assuming we do get Timber it would be nice if he was taller but he can make up for the lack of height by good positioning and effort in defending. Pretty sure we've been one of the taller teams the last few years and don't really utilize it defending or attacking.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You're going back decades, to different leagues to find exceptions.

It's also worth noting some players may be far far better in the air than their height would suggest, which I can't say applies to Timber given he's bottom 9th percentile in the Dutch league for centre backs.

Again, how many current premier league sides start with a 5'10 centre backs consistently? And in a back 4? And do so with a lot of success that it's not an issue? Someone ought to tell the current premier league managers that Puyol wasn't that tall so they should start signing short centre backs. Is Klopp crazy too because he targets aerially dominant centre backs?
Silva at Chelsea

Dr. McBeasty

There's plenty of defenders in the PL < 6ft that do just fine - Ben Mee, Ben Davies, Cesar Azpilicueta, Marcal, Malang Sarr, Ake, Guehi. Sure, some play in a back 3, but point is looking at height isn't really the best gauge. There are plenty of occasions when Burnley of all teams have started 3 of a back 4 under 6ft. Especially if we're looking to play a higher line and focus on possession in the opposing team's half, I would think that a player that is comfortable on the ball, has rapid recovery pace and can defend large areas of space is a much more important area for us to address, as we really lack a player with all of those attributes.

Bojan Djordjic

There's plenty of defenders in the PL < 6ft that do just fine - Ben Mee, Ben Davies, Cesar Azpilicueta, Marcal, Malang Sarr, Ake, Guehi. Sure, some play in a back 3, but point is looking at height isn't really the best gauge.
With respect, nobody is just looking at height. The height wouldn't matter if he was even on a par with the average defender as the likes of other small centre backs such as Phil Jones can. Jones wins roughly 70% of the headers he competes for. Last year, Maguire was winning 78%. None of the players you named are losing headers more than 40% of the time. Timber is at 50% which is in the bottom 8% of defenders across top five leagues. This is why people have concerns.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Gullit's criticism is fair, this is not a height issue but he just is a bit mistake prone. I'd compare this to signing John Stones from Everton but cheaper. Maybe he'll get better with age. There's some fantastic positives of signing him in the sense that he brings qualities on the ball many of our players don't have.

Which one you prefer, signing young player that still has room to improve and develop but great potential with cheap fees? Or the holywood signings that cost double or triple fees?

Dr. McBeasty

With respect, nobody is just looking at height. The height wouldn't matter if he was even on a par with the average defender as the likes of other small centre backs such as Phil Jones can. Jones wins roughly 70% of the headers he competes for. Last year, Maguire was winning 78%. None of the players you named are losing headers more than 40% of the time. Timber is at 50% which is in the bottom 8% of defenders across top five leagues. This is why people have concerns.
It may not apply to you necessarily, but there does seem to be quite a number of posters in this thread dismissing him on height alone. Either way Who Scored has Timber as winning 58% of aerial duels, which isn't fantastic by any means, but by comparison Ben Mee is only at 61%. Lindelof is at 60%, so basically you could call them even, but Timber's recovery pace and aggression provides a whole new dimension that Lindelof doesn't provide. So long as he's paired w/ a partner that is good in the air, I don't see any reason why his aerial ability would be a huge worry.

Caesar2290

It may not apply to you necessarily, but there does seem to be quite a number of posters in this thread dismissing him on height alone. Either way Who Scored has Timber as winning 58% of aerial duels, which isn't fantastic by any means, but by comparison Ben Mee is only at 61%. Lindelof is at 60%, so basically you could call them even, but Timber's recovery pace and aggression provides a whole new dimension that Lindelof doesn't provide. So long as he's paired w/ a partner that is good in the air, I don't see any reason why his aerial ability would be a huge worry.
Yes, but you have to factor in the league they play in. The PL is way more physical that the Eredevise.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The amount of pages spent arguing over his height is wild.

His heading isn't a strength. Obviously. Blind did pretty well as a CB here next to Smalling and formed our best partnership post Sir Alex despite being useless in the air. It's fine. Timber will regardless be used as a RB if he signs anyway for the first bit, where he'd be an enormous improvement (and in the air he would be an improvement out there), and then he'll transition inside in time if he's capable. It's fine. His potential and talent all around along with filling an immediate need and being depth at CB in the mean time is more than fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.