Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My gut tells me 3 max. Too many new players for a brand new manager/team will just be a formula for a disaster. Chelsea under Fat Frank got like 6 in one summer and the whole team played like they just met each other for the first time. That big group also increased fan/owner's expectations.

Big transfer class usually ends in tears -- and one with a brand new manager, who is new to the league... not good. The bigger window will be next summer.
We've just finished 6th.
Do you think signing a few players will disrupt that?!

Red00012

Based on the 1st time I’ve watched him play I could see him slotting in at RB. Very good on the ball and has a burst of pace as well

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Like he says the potential is there. He needs to extract it out of them.
It's the same old tired party line we've been hearing for years. He's not even had his first match yet and already he's a Glazer shill.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
How was he?
Easily the weakest link. Poor in the air and inaccurate on a lot of defensive actions. Ake and VVD were tremendous.

He took up some strange positions in the build up because of his teammates' decisions, but De Ligt had similar issues the last time he played RCB in a back 3 under LVG.

Timber was far better at the Euros.

Teja

Easily the weakest link. Poor in the air and inaccurate on a lot of defensive actions. Ake and VVD were tremendous.

He took up some strange positions in the build up because of his teammates' decisions, but De Ligt had similar issues the last time he played RCB in a back 3 under LVG.

Timber was far better at the Euros.
He looked the part - very impressive display from him. He'd be a brilliant signing. Having said that, I was most impressed by Edgar Davids on the bench - that guy is the king of cool - what a feckin player he was. One of my all-time favorites.
Fight fight fight :wenger:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Fight fight fight :wenger:
I've seen both LVG and a pretty good analyst speak highly of Timber's performance compared that of De Ligt's (vs Germany)
I just think they've overlooked the fact that they playing with a single pivot now as opposed to a double pivot with Koopmeiners in the game against Germany. Koopmeiners constantly dropping into the space De Ligt wants to occupy made the latter take up some very akward positions.

I still think Timber was poor. Mistimed a lot of challenges and no aerially presence compared to VVD and Ake (the latter is barely any taller but his technique is immaculate).

bosskeano

Crazy if anyone would say Timber was poor....on the goal he was very good and defensively he was very good

Bondi77

Hard to judge a defender unless you see him defend under pressure but he looks good on the ball but shite in the air which is not really great when thinking of playing in the most physical league in the world.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He looked feasibly short and not showing any great laps either. If he comes here, only RB or in back three is his position. But what do i know? He's only 21 this year. And it seems like ETH rates him high.

Last edited:

Bondi77

Luke Shaw looks more than comfortable when he was used as a LCB as he has great technique, is as quick as feck and is strong in the tackle so if Erik likes Timber then he would like Luke in a central back role as well.

NoPace

Luke Shaw looks more than comfortable when he was used as a LCB as he has great technique, is as quick as feck and is strong in the tackle so if Erik likes Timber then he would like Luke in a central back role as well.
Its probably too early to build a 2021/22 Ajax style side but I won’t be surprised if our back 3 in the 2023/24 season is Shaw-Varane-Timber.

Bondi77

Its probably too early to build a 2021/22 Ajax style side but I won’t be surprised if our back 3 in the 2023/24 season is Shaw-Varane-Timber.
The way Varane has been with injuries lately I would be surprised if he is still playing by then!

Kaushal

It's a shame he got José'd. A fabulous player to have in your squad.
My favorite player post Fergie. A highly intelligent technical footballer. If only he had a bit of physicality and pace, he would be world class.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Shaw's looked good on the left of a back three. Not sure how he'd go in a central position in a back four. The positioning is quite a bit different, but it might be a possibility.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
I just think they've overlooked the fact that they playing with a single pivot now as opposed to a double pivot with Koopmeiners in the game against Germany. Koopmeiners constantly dropping into the space De Ligt wants to occupy made the latter take up some very akward positions.
I didn't watch this game (Belgium) but yeah I remember how confusing that Germany game was. You could never tell from a distance whether it was De Ligt or Koopmeiners on the ball (and sometimes Frenkie), because they would occupy such similar spaces throughout.

Who was the analyst who spoke highly of Timber's performance btw?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I didn't watch this game (Belgium) but yeah I remember how confusing that Germany game was. You could never tell from a distance whether it was De Ligt or Koopmeiners on the ball (and sometimes Frenkie), because they would occupy such similar spaces throughout.

Who was the analyst who spoke highly of Timber's performance btw?
VI's Pieter Zwart it's behind a paywall.

Van Gaal mentioned that De Ligt played better as LCB than RCB (which is bullshit, but it could mean he's grooming him to play LCB more often). That's a good sign for Timber.

Status
Not open for further replies.